Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shottenheimer

WoolMagnet

Anyone else notice Shott talking to Brissett on bench after OT interception.  Read his lips. He tells Brissett to "calm the *beep* down.  I like him.  He certainly got Brissett ready quickly.

i wonder why you never hear his name for coaching?  His dad was successful.

2 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Anyone else notice Shott talking to Brissett on bench after OT interception.  Read his lips. He tells Brissett to "calm the *beep* down.  I like him.  He certainly got Brissett ready quickly.

The answer to that is pretty easy. He is not in the blame radar of those who have to have someone to point a finger at.

He's the only one I'd want to see take over as interim HC if Pagano were to be fired mid-season.  If Chud or Philbin have a problem with that, send them packing too.  I don't hate Philbin as the OL coach but wouldn't want him as HC.  Not even sure if I'd want him as OC.

8 minutes ago, Restored said:

The problem with putting him in any expanded role is that he will ultimately be handicapped by Pagano, whom I've been led to believe has more influence on the offense than many think.

Our offense has looked different with all 3 OC's we have had since Pagano has been here. What influence and where is it coming from?

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Led to believe that by who?

Pagano's offensive philosophy has closely aligned with the type of coordinator he's brought in with Chud. Pep ran a different system in college but ended up running a scheme here that closely aligned to Pagano's philosophy. My point is that if Brian became OC like some are pointing too, we may seem some changes but I doubt the main philosophy of the offense changes drastically.

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

Our offense has looked different with all 3 OC's we have had since Pagano has been here. What influence and where is it coming from?

The main philosophy has remained the same under all 3.

1 minute ago, Restored said:

Pagano's offensive philosophy has closely aligned with the type of coordinator he's brought in with Chud. Pep ran a different system in college but ended up running a scheme here that closely aligned to Pagano's philosophy. My point is that if Brian became OC like some are pointing too, we may seem some changes but I doubt the main philosophy of the offense changes drastically.

I disagree about the philosophy being the same under all three.   Especially Arians 

3 minutes ago, Restored said:

As @jvan1973 stated above.  Arians was way different than Pep.  I would give you the similarities between Pep and Chud, but not based on Pagano's philosophies.  Pep ran the West Coast/No Coast as he called it.  Chud runs Air Coryell.

9 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

As @jvan1973 stated above.  Arians was way different than Pep.  I would give you the similarities between Pep and Chud, but not based on Pagano's philosophies.  Pep ran the West Coast/No Coast as he called it.  Chud runs Air Coryell.

14 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I disagree about the philosophy being the same under all three.   Especially Arians 

Pep did NOT run a West Coast offense. In 2013, he ran more of a west coast style with a number of power schemes but that largely changed in 2014/2015. He may have called it that in press conferences but the philosophy was still heavily predicated on long drops with deep passes. He did incorporate more intermediate to short throws, especially in 2013. But after that, the offense has been by and large very similar.

1 minute ago, Restored said:

Pep did NOT run a West Coast offense. In 2013, he ran more of a west coast style with a number of power schemes but that largely changed in 2014/2015. He may have called it that in press conferences but the philosophy was still heavily predicated on long drops with deep passes. He did incorporate more intermediate to short throws, especially in 2013. But after that, the offense has been by and large very similar.

Oh Pep did run a west coast...but it did evolve into the No Coast as I mentioned, yes.  He developed what he liked as his version of offense and he talked about it many times.  If he would have stayed with the West Coast he may have not been fired (just my opinion).  Now have we always had systems that regardless allow for deep passes and long routes, yes!  If this is the "philosophy" you speak of then ok.  Other than that the schemes are different regardless of "philosophy".

Just now, DaColts85 said:

Oh Pep did run a west coast...but it did evolve into the No Coast as I mentioned, yes.  He developed what he liked as his version of offense and he talked about it many times.  If he would have stayed with the West Coast he may have not been fired (just my opinion).  Now have we always had systems that regardless allow for deep passes and long routes, yes!  If this is the "philosophy" you speak of then ok.  Other than that the schemes are different regardless of "philosophy".

Yeah, I've always thought that Pep tried to get a little too ambitious for his own good among the many other issues that affected the offense's crash and burn in 2015. But yes, in a nutshell the philosophy of deep drops with long-developing pass plays has been a frustrating but consistent trait of the offense since Pagano came to the team.

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

I think he should be our OC Chud sucks.

2 minutes ago, Restored said:

Yeah, I've always thought that Pep tried to get a little too ambitious for his own good among the many other issues that affected the offense's crash and burn in 2015. But yes, in a nutshell the philosophy of deep drops with long-developing pass plays has been a frustrating but consistent trait of the offense since Pagano came to the team.

I agree with you there.  Every OC has taken that and held onto it a little to tight at times.  I honestly think it is and was because Arians was the first OC Luck had and they had success with some deep balls and Luck loved that.  I would say Luck has been one key influence in that as well.  Pure speculation obviously on my part! 

4 minutes ago, Restored said:

We can probably thank Ariens for that, it seems like it's ingrained in Luck's mind and nature to wait for big plays to develop.

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Kyle Shanahan is the head coach of the 49ers

Yes i know. I've mixed him an Shott in past. Probably because of dad coaches and they have similar builds i think.

tuff to tell why things work the way they do in this head.  Its a dark, scary place.

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

We can probably thank Ariens for that, it seems like it's ingrained in Luck's mind and nature to wait for big plays to develop.

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

I agree with you there.  Every OC has taken that and held onto it a little to tight at times.  I honestly think it is and was because Arians was the first OC Luck had and they had success with some deep balls and Luck loved that.  I would say Luck has been one key influence in that as well.  Pure speculation obviously on my part! 

Yeah and to be fair, Luck's physical traits do fit fairly well with that philosophy. He has elite arm strength and has an uncanny ability to extend plays in ways that only a select few QB's can. The problem is that the offense is too reliant on that ability and its led to Luck having an absorbent amount of hits over the years.

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

2 hours ago, Restored said:

I believe @Superman made an exceptional post detailing how the offense has been largely the same under the different coordinators, but he can confirm.

3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Schottenheimer has been an OC before, and on balance,  has not done that job that well.   A few years ago he was out of the NFL as an OC in college.      I don't think it went well there either.

And now he's back as the QB coach.     He's getting a lot of public praise including from Chud.

But let's not got carried away that Schottenheimer is ready to be our OC.        He may get that chance later this year if people get fired....     but short of that,  I don't see it happening....

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I actually think he would be a leading candidate if they ever let Chuck go.  In fact if they were ever to replace Chuck midseason I think he would be the pick over Philbin and Chud.  

For head coach? No way. 

It would be Joe Philbin.

59 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Schottenheimer has been an OC before, and on balance,  has not done that job that well.   A few years ago he was out of the NFL as an OC in college.      I don't think it went well there either.

And now he's back as the QB coach.     He's getting a lot of public praise including from Chud.

But let's not got carried away that Schottenheimer is ready to be our OC.        He may get that chance later this year if people get fired....     but short of that,  I don't see it happening....

He bombed as the OC for Univ. Of Georgia as well.   I agree