Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jack Mewhort (Update: placed on IR)

zvich

22 hours ago, bananabucket said:

And if Vujnovich is one of your best 5, you draft OL in the first round.

If Vujnovich is one of your best 5 you should be looking at other teams PS and FA's sitting on their couch. I find it hard to believe we can't find a better LG. I'm ready to see what Kalias can do. Maybe with Kelly back we get a look at other options. 

We need a G and to get healthy that doesn't call for a 1st round pick.  We will use that on a Edge. Day 2 we get a G and ILB. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, akcolt said:

If Vujnovich is one of your best 5 you should be looking at other teams PS and FA's sitting on their couch. I find it hard to believe we can't find a better LG. I'm ready to see what Kalias can do. Maybe with Kelly back we get a look at other options. 

We need a G and to get healthy that doesn't call for a 1st round pick.  We will use that on a Edge. Day 2 we get a G and ILB. 

i concur

Pagano just said Mewhort has been playing hurt.

I rememeber them saying he was finally 100% at the start of the season but I didn't really believe that. Could he have just tweaked something since then? Sure, but I tend to think he's just been playing hurt all season.

Kinda curious as to how his contract negotiations are handled if things keep going like this.

On 10/10/2017 at 9:59 AM, richard pallo said:

I think the return of Kelly makes him and Vuj better players at their positions.  Good returning soon will also help Mewhort.  I am expecting continued improvement from both players.  Unless he keeps getting injured I fully expect they will resign him and give him a big contract.  That's just the way it is.  Good players get paid.  Overpaid in many instances. 

what makes you think Good will be returning soon?

3 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Sorry but I just never was that impressed with Mewhort. May have been the best we had a couple years ago but that's not saying much.

From day 1 if M got a hold of you he had you. Yes he could anchor very well against the best of the big tackles.
 He was solid in the run game at maintaining contact with the guy in front of him for a decent period. And that is it!
  ANY movement required and his play goes straight to the ____. Terrible at pulling, the screen game, and at best so so at mixing up your blocking scheme.

Need a yard. Nope, not your man against Good players. This is when healthy.
  I wish the guy the best, put my FB prayers hope we replace him in 2018. Please.

On 10/10/2017 at 4:21 AM, akcolt said:

I have never been excited about Mewhort. He's one of Grig's better picks and he still got it wrong. Gabe Jackson was the pick there as many on the board myself included called for. I think we have to resign Mewhort if he's knees hold up even just as a band aid. I doubt he gets a big offer elsewhere but he is the best G currently on the roster. There is only so much we will be able to do. I'd be fine with keeping Kelly and starting over on the OL. I just don't think that's realistic. We will be fortunate to bring in 2 new starters. The better players usually don't hit the FA market. 

Mewhort has allowed 4 sacks and 2.5 of those sacks come from his rookie year. 1 is this year. Gabe Jackson has allowed 6.5 sacks and 2.5 of those are 4 games through this season. As much as mewhort may be having a bad season (I disagree he is as hes not the problem on the line and the line requires a team effort) Gabe is having a much worse season. You got the best guard in football in zach martin allowed 6 sacks average of 2 per season. Mewhort is 4 vs 6 both drafted same year. Mewhort has really struggled at run blocking this year though that is for sure but him and kelly are the best pass blockers as for AC he is the best run blocker. Mewhort for me is a must resign.

On 10/10/2017 at 9:22 PM, BlueShoe said:

LOL. Not sure about the long term solution at LT, but I would not be against moving LC back to RT. 

What I would of liked to see was Clark at LT, Mewhort LG, Kelly C, Haeg RG, and AC RT. Whether that works out better or not is unknown. The reason I don't put Haeg LG is the same reason Mewhort was moved to RG in attempt to make the line stronger instead of left side stack. But with moving AC to RT you don't want right side stack unless Clark and Haeg can handle themselves. Another one is AC LT, Haeg LG, Kelly C, Mewhort RG, Good RT (injured tho). I am really not sure why Jeremy is starting LG it makes sense with Good injured but it was like this even before Good was injured and Jeremy is our worst Oline IMO.

What a bunch of nonsense. Mewhort is hurt. He's a quality lineman. He's stepping up and playing with an injury. Which is what the team asks of its leaders. The key issue isn't is Mewhort a bad player. Its if he can recover from these recurring knee issues. He's an excellent Guard with an injury that is impacting his performance. Let's give him this season to show if he can improve his play. If he can get healthy, the man is worth re-signing. If not, then the Colts will need to move on. But anyone who says they "always had issues with the guy" is blind. He's been one of the bright spots on a miserable O-line. 

3 hours ago, Hoose said:

The key issue isn't is Mewhort a bad player. Its if he can recover from these recurring knee issues.

I agree, but it's still an important thing to figure out though. He's been an above average NFL starting OG for a few years - can he regain that form? That's going to be important in contract negotiations, as he is in a contract year. 

10 hours ago, Jesse Lafantaisie said:

Mewhort has allowed 4 sacks and 2.5 of those sacks come from his rookie year. 1 is this year. Gabe Jackson has allowed 6.5 sacks and 2.5 of those are 4 games through this season. As much as mewhort may be having a bad season (I disagree he is as hes not the problem on the line and the line requires a team effort) Gabe is having a much worse season. You got the best guard in football in zach martin allowed 6 sacks average of 2 per season. Mewhort is 4 vs 6 both drafted same year. Mewhort has really struggled at run blocking this year though that is for sure but him and kelly are the best pass blockers as for AC he is the best run blocker. Mewhort for me is a must resign.

I'm not sure what you are talking about I said Mewhort was the best G on our roster and a must resign. I think you'd have a hard time finding any non Colt fan that would put him ahead of Jackson. The problem with Jack is he doesn't move well and it looks like his knees could further hinder him. 

The idea to move Clark to LT is based on what?  LT isn't the problem with the OL  In fact LT has been the most stable spot on our OL. We have the same problems Grigson couldn't get figured out. We need another starting G and RT. 

Clark needs to take over at RT. I don't know if you've noticed or not but Haeg is the 3rd guy to play RT in front of him. You want him at LT? I thought his ceiling could be LT when we drafted him. It still could be but he's shown absolutely nothing that warrants a move there right now.  The guy is closer to becoming a bust than a starting LT. We really need Clark to step up.

Why would we kick Haeg back inside full time? He's shown  he doesn't have the anchor to start inside for 2yrs.. You really need to see that again? We need to bring in a starting caliber G. Ballard seemed to know that saying we'd be in the FA market for one. For some reason he changed his mind. That spot has to be addressed this off season 

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Unbelievable.   Does that mean Haag goes to G and Clark back to RT?   I sure hope not.  Time to sign a new starter off a practice squad or a trade.  Clark would get whoever is back there killed.

Yep, that's what I'm guessing. 

On 10/11/2017 at 9:07 PM, OLD FAN MAN said:

i concur

On 10/11/2017 at 9:09 PM, OLD FAN MAN said:

i concur

On 10/11/2017 at 9:10 PM, OLD FAN MAN said:

i concur

I hope you take constructive criticism well, because I have a suggestion.

Could you please just "Like" a post instead of quoting it and saying "i concur"?

It's the same thing and it doesn't clog up threads with multiple posts that just say "i concur".

:please:  :thanks:

I definitely wouldn't re-sign him. He's just too injury prone which sucks because he's shown to be a decent linemen when healthy.

Only good thing is that offensive line has to be addressed next year with Mewhort gone, Castanzo probably gone, and Vujonich hopefully gone.

Yet another player who's career has been significantly impacted by injuries in Indy. Feels bad man.

It also puts us back to square 0 at O Line building. Costanzo has been exposed, Mewhort is ded, Good is ded, Haeg/Clark pretty much busted after a good last half of last season and who knows how Kelly will look during this latter half of the season

11 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Yet another player who's career has been significantly impacted by injuries in Indy. Feels bad man.

It also puts us back to square 0 at O Line building. Costanzo has been exposed, Mewhort is ded, Good is ded, Haeg/Clark pretty much busted after a good last half of last season and who knows how Kelly will look during this latter half of the season

What is “ded”?  

37 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I hope you take constructive criticism well, because I have a suggestion.

Could you please just "Like" a post instead of quoting it and saying "i concur"?

It's the same thing and it doesn't clog up threads with multiple posts that just say "i concur".

:please:  :thanks:

I concur.

I thought we all knew he was trying to play through a bum knee?

He's a good LG when healthy. Quite often he's the guy they run behind. He certainly doesn't suck. I swear some people dunno what they're looking at.

I dunno if the move to RG was to help him, or to fill in holes, but it doesn't matter now.

It'd be cool if Clark wasn't as bad as some of you are saying Mewhort is.

17 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I wouldn't think Mewhort would cost too much to retain. His lack of availability and somewhat inconsistent play should bring his cost down. 

I'm pretty sure you will see the following unfold.

Indy nor any other team if the NFL is going to give Mewhort anything significant in a long term (3+ years) deal. So he's going to sign cheaper type 1 year deal with some incentives for games played and or games started. I don't think unless the Cots really "love" him or he loves playing in Indy , there is really anything in the cards that would make his signing in Indy way more likely than him signing with another team. 

Thus he probably signs with whatever team offers him the best deal in a "wait and see" scenario. In any event , I'm pretty sure he signs a 1 year deal and there isn't a heck of a lot to see why it's very likely to happen in Indy.