Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jack Mewhort (Update: placed on IR)

zvich

This is one guy I’m kinda on the fence on re-signing.

At LG he looked to be one of the leagues better guards and I thought he would have a big year in 2017, but they moved him to RG and his play has been pretty iffy. If we plan to keep him at RG should we re-sign him and see if he can learn and develop in the position or should we not re-sign and go draft/FA? I think we should resign him and move him back to LG where he looked a lot better and adress the RG position thru the draft because there’s are not that many quality FA guards.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't want to re-sign him even before this season. Not comfortable paying a LG that much...and also concerned about his injury issues going forward. But really, I don't think he's that good of a player.

Given the weak upcoming FA for OL and how much OGs are being paid, he's probably still setting up for a decent payday...even with the struggles. I would pass.

I have never been excited about Mewhort. He's one of Grig's better picks and he still got it wrong. Gabe Jackson was the pick there as many on the board myself included called for. I think we have to resign Mewhort if he's knees hold up even just as a band aid. I doubt he gets a big offer elsewhere but he is the best G currently on the roster. There is only so much we will be able to do. I'd be fine with keeping Kelly and starting over on the OL. I just don't think that's realistic. We will be fortunate to bring in 2 new starters. The better players usually don't hit the FA market. 

This to me is a similar situation to Vontae Davis.  You can let them walk and hope to find a suitable replacement in FA and hope to not get price gouged.  OR you re-sign them and draft well and continue building.  Mewhort has not looked good and has bad knees which I think is a red flag for Ballard.  Chris Ballard to me is smart and knows to not overpay for someone who might have a short career I believe.  If both Davis and Mewhort, hell even Moncrief can see that they should just stay put then that would be nice.

Side note... I honestly believe we bring back Davis for a short term deal.  something like 2 year 18-20mil.  Reasoning is I believe he wants to stay here and Ballard knows he can get some key pieces in the draft and keep Davis for depth and helping the youngsters.  Having vets is often overlooked in this forum (trade/cut Gore bull*).

5 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Side note... I honestly believe we bring back Davis for a short term deal.  something like 2 year 18-20mil.  Reasoning is I believe he wants to stay here and Ballard knows he can get some key pieces in the draft and keep Davis for depth and helping the youngsters.  Having vets is often overlooked in this forum (trade/cut Gore bull*).

Not a lot of knowledge on the salary side of things. Is this considered good pay? I would see around 15 mil for 2 years. If his play improves I can see what you have but he has played like a backup so far. 

Edit: I do agree having a vet around is important for younger players. Teach them how to get after it and key things to look for in certain situations. 

3 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Not a lot of knowledge on the salary side of things. Is this considered good pay? I would see around 15 mil for 2 years. If his play improves I can see what you have but he has played like a backup so far. 

Edit: I do agree having a vet around is important for younger players. Teach them how to get after it and key things to look for in certain situations. 

Davis regardless of popular belief is still our #1 CB hands down.  Has he shown rust since being injured, yes.  Will he get better each week, yes.  Money wise with the estimate of cap increase being say another 7-10 million next year, players again are going to get more money.  Paying him 9 to 10mil per year is very worth it when top guys are signing for 13-14mil and decent guys are still getting around 7mil.

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

Davis regardless of popular belief is still our #1 CB hands down.  Has he shown rust since being injured, yes.  Will he get better each week, yes.  Money wise with the estimate of cap increase being say another 7-10 million next year, players again are going to get more money.  Paying him 9 to 10mil per year is very worth it when top guys are signing for 13-14mil and decent guys are still getting around 7mil.

We really need him to play better. Our game this Monday could depend on it. 

I think the return of Kelly makes him and Vuj better players at their positions.  Good returning soon will also help Mewhort.  I am expecting continued improvement from both players.  Unless he keeps getting injured I fully expect they will resign him and give him a big contract.  That's just the way it is.  Good players get paid.  Overpaid in many instances. 

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think the return of Kelly makes him and Vuj better players at their positions.  Good returning soon will also help Mewhort.  I am expecting continued improvement from both players.  Unless he keeps getting injured I fully expect they will resign him and give him a big contract.  That's just the way it is.  Good players get paid.  Overpaid in many instances. 

I totally agree. Mewhort is under-performing because he's not healthy. Also, he's been playing between two struggling players until now. With Kelly back, things should improve. When Good gets back, he can move over to his natural position at LG. I see better days ahead. 

1 minute ago, lance_m8 said:

AC, Haeg, Kelly, Mewhort, Good

Would probably be the best lineup we could make with the guys we have 

I actually think it’s about time to put Le’Raven Clark back in the lineup. He pancaked Solomon Thomas. Smashed him. 

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I actually think it’s about time to put Le’Raven Clark back in the lineup. He pancaked Solomon Thomas. Smashed him. 

Is it bad I didn't even notice he played? and when AC gets sent packing Clark will have a shot to beat him out at LT I say get vuj out put haeg at LG and Clark at RT 

4 minutes ago, lance_m8 said:

Is it bad I didn't even notice he played? and when AC gets sent packing Clark will have a shot to beat him out at LT I say get vuj out put haeg at LG and Clark at RT 

LOL. Not sure about the long term solution at LT, but I would not be against moving LC back to RT. 

11 minutes ago, lance_m8 said:

Big deal he pancakes a rookie.  They handed Clark the RT job and he lost it to Good.  They handed the LG job to Haag and he lost it to Vuj.  When Good returns Haag goes back to the bench.  With Kelly back Vuj won't have to worry about helping out a rookie center.  Kelly returning is huge for the OL.  Goods return solidifies the line.  Haag and Clark had there chance.  Now they are backups where they belong.  You play the best five: AC, VUJ, Kelly, Mewhort, Good.  

19 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

And if Vujnovich is one of your best 5, you draft OL in the first round.

I wouldn't have a problem with that.  I wanted OL in round 1 when we drafted Kelly and I wanted Whitehair in round two that year and we passed twice.  Vuj is one of our best five this year.  It is what it is.  I thought we should have signed Zeitler this year too but we didn't.  

I don't know why he's playing so much worse this year. Maybe it's related to his knee injury? But what a year to have a bad season for him - his first contract year. 

Our O-line is in shambles. I don't really know how they can fix it next year without another massive overhaul, which just goes to show how bad of a job Grigson did on the O-line. 

2 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

I don't know why he's playing so much worse this year. Maybe it's related to his knee injury? But what a year to have a bad season for him - his first contract year. 

Our O-line is in shambles. I don't really know how they can fix it next year without another massive overhaul, which just goes to show how bad of a job Grigson did on the O-line. 

He will be fine.  He not only moved to RG but he also had to help babysit a rookie center until Kelly returned this week. I think Kellys presence will also help Vuj.  I'm not worried about Mewhort and Goods return will help him as well.  It's a long season.  Plenty of time for our starters to return and gel as a unit.  

On 10/10/2017 at 8:59 AM, DaColts85 said:

Davis' play slipped last year albeit with injury issues then as well.  Since he has come back this year, you say he is rusty and that could be the case.  Or maybe what we are seeing is the start of his decline - to me that is the likelier theory.  But either way, would Ballard want to invest in an aging guy who has shown to be injury prone of late and whose play has not been stellar.  Plus he wants to get the Colts younger.

Davis strikes me as the type of guy that teams will sign in 2018 once they go through the draft and free agency and see what their roster looks like which means a vet min or slightly above contract.  I think this is the last year of Davis in Indy.

32 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Davis' play slipped last year albeit with injury issues then as well.  Since he has come back this year, you say he is rusty and that could be the case.  Or maybe what we are seeing is the start of his decline - to me that is the likelier theory.  But either way, would Ballard want to invest in an aging guy who has shown to be injury prone of late and whose play has not been stellar.  Plus he wants to get the Colts younger.

Davis strikes me as the type of guy that teams will sign in 2018 once they go through the draft and free agency and see what their roster looks like which means a vet min or slightly above contract.  I think this is the last year of Davis in Indy.

This is the guy that everyone Ballard included said Davis was having the best camp.  Decline?  Injury with rust after missing time...i will go with that.  

Does Ballard want to get younger sure, but no smart GM just goes around and cuts everyone 30+.  You keep certain vets and you especially keep the ones that can produce.  Hints keeping Butler and Gore.

Now as far as signing Davis.  If he gets offers for good money then by all means get that last contract.  If he wants to remain a Colt and terms get worked out then I will happily keep him here.  IMO I think he wants t o stay here, but that is just me.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

He'll be a free agent, so what kind of contract are you offering? How much, and how long?

Keeping Ballard in mind I would go 2yrs $16mil if possible.  Plus structure it with limited hits so if for some reason he gets injured or does not do well the first year you cut him.