Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Not a Pagano fan, BUT

azcolt

Anyone who follows the NFL knows there are few easy wins. Every team has talent. So why don’t we celebrate the win yesterday and stop pointing out all of the warts at least until our next loss?

We’re only a game behind with a promising young qb who has only a half dozen starts and a month of Colts practice under his belt. Getting him was a steal and stealing from the Pats doesn’t happen often. Do I think getting Luck back soon will result in a playoff spot? No, but we still have a chance after five games and win or lose, it’s fun to watch a young safety, qb and rb show a lot of potential star qualities. I think we have found a good GM. Hopefully Irsay will let him pick a coach for 2018.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here’s the rub -  I think every true Colts fan wants to win every game.  I also think a majority of Colts fans want a different coach.  Those two things won’t happen together.  Even going 8-8 while showing improvement will keep this coaching staff.

Personally, I think we have some really good coaches.  Lal, Shotts, Williams, and a few others have done well.

I don’t want to see a new staff that brings in a new playbook and want their own guys.  I think we have a decent nucleus of players, only a few key positions (ILB, G) away. 

I just want want to see better play calling on O and D.  And I’m well aware that may not happen with the current staff.  Perplexing.  

18 minutes ago, azcolt said:

So why don’t we celebrate the win yesterday and stop pointing out all of the warts at least until our next loss?

Because Pagano did everything he could to try and squander the Colts lead.......again. 

The guy can only coach one half of a game. 

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Here’s the rub -  I think every true Colts fan wants to win every game.  I also think a majority of Colts fans want a different coach.  Those two things won’t happen together.  Even going 8-8 while showing improvement will keep this coaching staff.

Personally, I think we have some really good coaches.  Lal, Shotts, Williams, and a few others have done well.

I don’t want to see a new staff that brings in a new playbook and want their own guys.  I think we have a decent nucleus of players, only a few key positions (ILB, G) away. 

I just want want to see better play calling on O and D.  And I’m well aware that may not happen with the current staff.  Perplexing.  

The only way we go 8-8 again is if Lucks out there but I don't know if it happens this year regardless Defense sucks and the o-line isn't much better.

28 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Because Pagano did everything he could to try and squander the Colts lead.......again. 

The guy can only coach one half of a game. 

The current team deserves some of it because let me tell you there were many occasions where the coaches I worked with have great game plans and etc and the team still laid an egg. I am not saying that Pagano doesn't deserve even part of the credit but there are several other factors out there

25 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Anyone who follows the NFL knows there are few easy wins. Every team has talent. So why don’t we celebrate the win yesterday and stop pointing out all of the warts at least until our next loss?

We’re only a game behind with a promising young qb who has only a half dozen starts and a month of Colts practice under his belt. Getting him was a steal and stealing from the Pats doesn’t happen often. Do I think getting Luck back soon will result in a playoff spot? No, but we still have a chance after five games and win or lose, it’s fun to watch a young safety, qb and rb show a lot of potential star qualities. I think we have found a good GM. Hopefully Irsay will let him pick a coach for 2018.

I understand your perspective, and agree the Board is definitely more negative than positive most of the time, but, even in games we win, the coaching can be lamented. 

The wins don't really feel like victories, its like crawling over the finish line of a 5k run, you are glad you made it but it shouldn't have been that hard!

The only game we've lost that I'd rate as winnable was Arizona, and that was clearly due to a 45 minute effort by the defense.

Not sure how much I'm prepared to honestly blame Pagano for the state of the team.  Quite frankly considering the roster concerns at the outset, we are roughly on par with where a talent evaluation says this team should be.   At the moment, as much as this is going to make me a VERY unpopular person on this forum to say this, I'm of the opinion that Pagano has done his job. 

We need more talent on defense and a better scheme on offense, but Pagano is playing out pretty much precisely average so far this year.  We're 2-2 after the Tolzein fiasco and got beat by two teams that are obviously at least a little better than us.  The teams clearly not as good as us, we beat.  That's a literally average outcome.  The question is is averageness enough to save Pagano in a cutthroat league.  I think it probably shouldn't be, but I think we have several other problems to fix before coaching becomes the critical issue.

13 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Defense sucks and the o-line isn't much better.

Most of Ballard's picks and moves seem to be solid-to-good, yet the team is still terrible.  That tells you just how bad Grigson was.  Impossible to fix it in one year.  It might be impossible to fix it in 2-3 years.  

6 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

I understand your perspective, and agree the Board is definitely more negative than positive most of the time, but, even in games we win, the coaching can be lamented. 

The wins don't really feel like victories, its like crawling over the finish line of a 5k run, you are glad you made it but it shouldn't have been that hard!

Nicely Put but heartache happens in every sport at every level and for some they need to get rid of a certain attitude and focus on the game

27 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Do you really think the Colts going 8-8 is going to be good enough to keep Pagano?

You're nuts. He's a goner. Deal with it.

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

Most of Ballard's picks and moves seem to be solid-to-good, yet the team is still terrible.  That tells you just how bad Grigson was.  Impossible to fix it in one year.  It might be impossible to fix it in 2-3 years.  

Very true CP can only do so much with what they have 

18 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The current team deserves some of it because let me tell you there were many occasions where the coaches I worked with have great game plans and etc and the team still laid an egg. I am not saying that Pagano doesn't deserve even part of the credit but there are several other factors out there

I agree, but playing prevent defense at the end and not blitzing? Dropping ILB's and Sheard into coverage? 

That's coaching. 

6 minutes ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

Do you really think the Colts going 8-8 is going to be good enough to keep Pagano?

You're nuts. He's a goner. Deal with it.

5 minutes ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

I don't understand why people think the Colts will keep Pagano after this season.

We would make the playoffs and he's still gone.

I guarantee it.

This is laughable at best, unless you have been talking directly to Irsay, who will make the final call.  Your opinion...yeah, no arguments there, but your guarantee and a dime still won't get me bubble gum.

I don't care either way if Pagano is retained or not.  I'll leave all that to Irsay and Ballard.  Howdy-Doody could be coaching this team and I still want the Colts to win.  That's the bottom line.

1 minute ago, lollygagger8 said:

I agree, but playing prevent defense at the end and not blitzing? Dropping ILB's and Sheard into coverage? 

That's coaching. 

True but the missed coverage by Vontae late in the game was on the player and that is why the chatter is very unproductive 

1 minute ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

This is laughable at best, unless you have been talking directly to Irsay, who will make the final call.  Your opinion...yeah, no arguments there, but your guarantee and a dime still won't get me bubble gum.

I don't care either way if Pagano is retained or not.  I'll leave all that to Irsay and Ballard.  Howdy-Doody could be coaching this team and I still want the Colts to win.  That's the bottom line.

Same here in TigerTown 

Just now, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

Pagano and Grigson wasted six years from this franchise.

Time to move on and allow Chris Ballard to bring in his personel.

You weren't around in the early days of the franchise were you because until the late 90s the Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts were the Cleveland Browns

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

Same here in TigerTown 

Irsay hired Chris Ballard for a reason and it's not to babysit Pagano.

He wanted Pagano gone, but Irsay suggested he give Pagano one last breath, before he hands the keys to the castle over to Chris Ballard after our season ends.

Pagno is gone. When the announcement breaks that Pagano's been fired.. I'll be right here waiting for you.

Just now, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

Irsay hired Chris Ballard for a reason and it's not to babysit Pagano.

He wanted Pagano gone, but Irsay suggested he give Pagano one last breath, before he hands the keys to the castle over to Chris Ballard after our season ends.

Pagno is gone. When the announcement breaks that Pagano's been fired.. I'll be right here waiting for you.

Who cares if he stays or goes because I am a Colt fan for life( the only team that rivals the Coltdom for me is Tiger Pride)

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Who cares if he stays or goes because I am a Colt fan for life( the only team that rivals the Coltdom for me is Tiger Pride)

As am I.. but, I do not see the Colts winning it all until they fire Pagano and hopefully bring in the right guy. *Fingers Crossed*

1 minute ago, mikey287 said:

I really thought the other end of the "BUT" was going to be "he doesn't snort coke through a twenty like a peasant." I am disappoint.

Ref: https://deadspin.com/video-appears-to-show-dolphins-o-line-coach-chris-foers-1819270506?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Ouch

27 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I have some of your same sentiments about some of our assistant coaches (including Philbin) however in the NFL if you change head coaches most assistants go. If a HC takes on the responsibility for the W-L record, he needs to be able to control who he works with. As in any organization, there are interpersonal relationships that matter. 

Jim Irsay certainly has his flaws but he knows NFL football better than most NFL owners. Given that, I would hope important factors in replacing Pagano would be the defensive and offensive philosophies of prospective coaches. If Pagano is replaced after this season, I would hope the next HC would be a proponent of the 34 Ravens-like defense (our defensive personnel has recently been changed over to fit it) and an offense that is focused less on chunk plays than the Arians offense (for Luck's longevity sake).

I know there are those on this board that think that Ballard will get his own man, but I believe Irsay will be the ultimate decision maker. After all, Irsay forced the unwieldy truce between Grigson and Pagono. 

25 minutes ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

I don't understand why people think the Colts will keep Pagano after this season.

We would make the playoffs and he's still gone.

I guarantee it.

And you're calling me nuts?   If we make the playoffs there’s no way Pagano gets fired.  

If you really believe that, then you can find others to discuss it with.   I can't take you seriously.

1 minute ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

I understand that, but I would be SHOCKED if Pagano is here in 2018.

Irsay has already said Pagano's job would not be determined by wins and loses.

Do I think Pagano will be fired? I have no clue. I don't have a crystal ball but neither does anyone in here.