Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF Analysis of Colts Performance

DaveA1102

9 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

No, he's not. Hoyer didn't play like an above average starter, and he was the better QB of the two on the field last night. 

I don't have problems with Brissett at all, I like the guy, and appreciate what he's been doing for the team. But saying he's playing at above average level is simply disrespectfull to players like Luck, who IS above average.

Based on what? He had better completion% and nearly as many yards in 10 fewer attempts. His sacks are accounted for with the garbage oline, and he avoided more sacks than he took. He made more big plays than hoyer did as well. 

Luck, barely above average. if you want to look at averages of QB's, luck is below on completion percentage%, below average in int% and sack ratee(that's a bad below average). 

But is above average on td and td% and yards.

I don't hate luck, but so many people here are absolutely blind to how average he plays and actually think he's a top 5 qb. He just plain isn't. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Based on what? He had better completion% and nearly as many yards in 10 fewer attempts. His sacks are accounted for with the garbage oline, and he avoided more sacks than he took. He made more big plays than hoyer did as well. 

Luck, barely above average. if you want to look at averages of QB's, luck is below on completion percentage%, below average in int% and sack ratee(that's a bad below average). 

I don't hate luck, but so many people here are absolutely blind to how average he plays and actually think he's a top 5 qb. He just plain isn't. 

people go by different metrics

i do think luck is top 5 because of yards and TDs

pff actually had him in in their top 5 last year, going by their grading system

57 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Ok. I'm gonna go gangster on the corner here. 

You trippin cuz. Go on wit that bull ****. Take that on down tha road somewhere bruh. Come on mane. I mean cuz. Dudes Crazy mane. Talkin bout Lucks average. Dudes trippin. Yeah keep on walkin cuz. Take that somewhere else 

lmao  but for real ????? Luck is a top 5 QB in need of a better supporting cast 

2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Ok. I'm gonna go gangster on the corner here. 

You trippin cuz. Go on wit that bull ****. Take that on down tha road somewhere bruh. Come on mane. Crazy mane. Talkin bout Lucks average. Dudes trippin. Yeah keep on walkin cuz. Take that somewhere else 

lmao  but for real ????? Luck is a top 5 QB in need of a better supporting cast 

Ya, heaven forbid someone around here doesn't wear blue tinted glasses. 

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You are correct but we also have to keep in mind we beat two teams who have yet to win a game.

So we beat the teams we were supposed to beat, and the teams that were supposed to beat us, beat us.  But JB made a good stab at winning both of the games he lost, had the lead going into the third period in both.  Again, considering we were the weaker team, he did a good job in both Arizona and Seattle games to put the pressure on as the underdog.

Kid's got some talent.  I hope he gets an opportunity after Luck comes back, to really show a team what he can do.

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Wow, I guess he didn't throw an interception in overtime against the Cardinals that cost us a chance at a win?

this thread was about a pff analysis of yesterdays game

the cardinals game was his first start, after having been here for less that two weeks.  give him a break on that one 

3 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I agree. I don't care if you're a high school team if you're coached correctly and the other team isn't you're going to win 9 times out of 10. 

Every times the colts play the patriots it has to be a high scoring game to win. And also, 9 times out of 10 the colts shoot themselves in the foot and make stupid mistakes. That's coaching. Sorry buddy. Dropping the football, and throwing an interception isn't about talent. It's about focus. A focus this team just doesn't emphasize. 

So last week when Hankins got that stupid penalty in the 2nd half and when Chuck pointed to his head and said to Hankins "Think"...that wasn't a coach teaching about focus?

So, how do you teach focus?  Running extra laps in practice...extra push ups, maybe a mental berating?

How do you know these things don't happen in practice and the player STILL commits interceptions, dropped balls, and penalties?

Hankd Baskett (yeah, i know, I hate that name, too) shouldn't have to be told to look for the onside kick.  Do your job correctly and you'll be prepared.  From what I remember, Baskett was in good position to handle the kick, he just flubbed it - bounced off his chest or hands and the Saints recovered.  I still don't know why people blame the coaches for that.  It was clearly the execution of the player, not that the coach didn't tell him to be aware of it.

1 hour ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

So last week when Hankins got that stupid penalty in the 2nd half and when Chuck pointed to his head and said to Hankins "Think"...that wasn't a coach teaching about focus?

So, how do you teach focus?  Running extra laps in practice...extra push ups, maybe a mental berating?

How do you know these things don't happen in practice and the player STILL commits interceptions, dropped balls, and penalties?

Hankd Baskett (yeah, i know, I hate that name, too) shouldn't have to be told to look for the onside kick.  Do your job correctly and you'll be prepared.  From what I remember, Baskett was in good position to handle the kick, he just flubbed it - bounced off his chest or hands and the Saints recovered.  I still don't know why people blame the coaches for that.  It was clearly the execution of the player, not that the coach didn't tell him to be aware of it.

Hank Baskett was playing for Jim Caldwell, and we all know that he was riding on Peyton the whole year. That was also during the SB where you need to have ultimate situational awareness. Which if the coach is telling you that then yeah that's not a very good coach now is it...?

If the same player continues to make the same mistakes over and over, then you cut him plain and simple. I refuse to believe our players just lack the talent to make that catch 9-10 times. Guess what? Hank Baskett doesn't play in the NFL anymore. using someone without NFL talent to support what you're saying is just  faulty logic. 

When Reggie Wayne came into the league he had a problem with dropping the ball. He had NFL talent, and the right coaches to help him secure that problem. I simply don't believe that our current staff, helps our current players in the same areas. 

I also dont believe this team is less talented than it was in 2012. What's the excuse there? It's a culture problem. It's a frame of mind. And if you don't take your leader seriously then you aren't going to have the right frame of mind come Sunday. And every Sunday, the colts continue to show the lack of mindset needed to be truly competitive. 

That doesn't include putting players in a position to succeed. Our scheme isn't doing that for our players. Especially on offense. 

4 hours ago, Narcosys said:

JB is playing like an above average starter right now.

In what world bruh?  Above average.......starter?  This is Richard Pryor / George Carlin funny.  He's playing like an above average backup or a passable starter.  He's playing like a guy who could be a good starter in time but who is obviously pretty green.  As much as I hate to give Luck a pass, he wins and loses games.  I'll take that over a guy who doesn't do either.  I'd rather have a guy who can win me a game and who occaisonally loses them than a guy who can't win me a game but is so safe he'll never lose us one either.  So needless to say I'd take say Matt Stafford over Alex Smith.

9 minutes ago, tikyle said:

In what world bruh?  Above average.......starter?  This is Richard Pryor / George Carlin funny.  He's playing like an above average backup or a passable starter.  He's playing like a guy who could be a good starter in time but who is obviously pretty green.  As much as I hate to give Luck a pass, he wins and loses games.  I'll take that over a guy who doesn't do either.  I'd rather have a guy who can win me a game and who occaisonally loses them than a guy who can't win me a game but is so safe he'll never lose us one either.  So needless to say I'd take say Matt Stafford over Alex Smith.

Not sure where to go with this?  You mention he has the ability to be a good starter and mention he is pretty green, then say he does not do anything to win games and is a above average backup?  He runs for a TD when needed.  He throws a 46 yard beautifully placed ball in OT just yesterday to help solidify the game.  I would say he is playing pretty well as a starter right now.  Better than some that is for sure.

Under the circumstances, he's done well for a guy new to the team in his 6th start, but he hasn't shown enough to be a hot commodity in free agency, and I doubt any team would be beating down the door, offering a high draft pick in a trade.  He hasn't played that well.  Backups have shown a lot more than he has over longer periods of time and they are still backups.  A long term backup to Luck is probably a good spot for him.

4 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Andy Benoit, who is one of the best media persons out there when it comes to evaluating film, thinks he's elite.

And not just that, he talks tolot of executives and coaches around the league and said on one of the MMQB podcasts this past summer that no one in the NFL thinks of Luck as anything less than elite player.

5 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Because I don't see you saying the same thing about luck. Is luck a work in progress? 

Lucky is definitely a work in progress. He is totally mediocre making quick decisions and making quick accurate passes in the short game.             

So many don't like the play calling, well to ____ bad, it is designed for his strengths.
 And yes, it really is that simple.

Benoit also said it in a Colts season preview article:

Not one person within the NFL believes Andrew Luck is anything less than a superstar. (Or “elite,” if that’s your preferred phrasing.) Luck made more spectacular plays than any QB in the league last year. Problem was, he also had too many negative ones.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/14/indianapolis-colts-training-camp-season-preview-andrew-luck

26 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Hank Baskett was playing for Jim Caldwell, and we all know that he was riding on Peyton the whole year. That was also during the SB where you need to have ultimate situational awareness. Which if the coach is telling you that then yeah that's not a very good coach now is it...?

If the same player continues to make the same mistakes over and over, then you cut him plain and simple. I refuse to believe our players just lack the talent to make that catch 9-10 times. Guess what? Hank Baskett doesn't play in the NFL anymore. using someone without NFL talent to support what you're saying is just  faulty logic. 

When Reggie Wayne came into the league he had a problem with dropping the ball. He had NFL talent, and the right coaches to help him secure that problem. I simply don't believe that our current staff, helps our current players in the same areas. 

I also dont believe this team is less talented than it was in 2012. What's the excuse there? It's a culture problem. It's a frame of mind. And if you don't take your leader seriously then you aren't going to have the right frame of mind come Sunday. And every Sunday, the colts continue to show the lack of mindset needed to be truly competitive. 

That doesn't include putting players in a position to succeed. Our scheme isn't doing that for our players. Especially on offense. 

So, if Caldwell was riding Peyton the whole time, then you're saying the player is playing above the coach.  Yet, when the player doesn't play well it's on the coach.  Huh??  Fuzzy logic in that one.  It seems you just don't want to give Pags any credit for anything.

Also, I would say that the talent level hasn't been that great between 2012 and 2016.  One could just as easily say that the coaching staff did a very good job of working with what personnel they had, couldn't one?  All of those free agents that didn't pan out...that was all on coaching being that bad?

2012 had a better secondary than we have this year, thus far.  The D-Line is better this year for sure.  2012 was also a year of transition for the D so there is that as well.  I definitely agree the O-Line has more talent this year than 2012, but you can't overlook the fact that Brissett is playing in place of ALuck.  That is huge.  I admit that the play calling in the second half is too predictable this year.

You never addressed my point about Hankins.  Doesn't that show he holds players accountable?

9 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

If the problem was a mental thing on them (reaction time, being out of position), why assume it was a failure by the coaching staff to adjust? Is it possible if the players had executed the way they were coached, there wouldn't have been issues in th first place?

At what point are players held responsible for the things they have been coached on ?

Because good coaches are able to scheme around their players and play to their strengths, not continue to have their players trying do what they clearly can't.

Pagano has shown numerous times that he is unable to make key adjustments. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised that we don't have faith in this coaching staff.

40 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

So, if Caldwell was riding Peyton the whole time, then you're saying the player is playing above the coach.  Yet, when the player doesn't play well it's on the coach.  Huh??  Fuzzy logic in that one.  It seems you just don't want to give Pags any credit for anything.

Also, I would say that the talent level hasn't been that great between 2012 and 2016.  One could just as easily say that the coaching staff did a very good job of working with what personnel they had, couldn't one?  All of those free agents that didn't pan out...that was all on coaching being that bad?

2012 had a better secondary than we have this year, thus far.  The D-Line is better this year for sure.  2012 was also a year of transition for the D so there is that as well.  I definitely agree the O-Line has more talent this year than 2012, but you can't overlook the fact that Brissett is playing in place of ALuck.  That is huge.  I admit that the play calling in the second half is too predictable this year.

You never addressed my point about Hankins.  Doesn't that show he holds players accountable?

I never claimed to know the cause of the Colts woes. I prefer to think it's a mixture of scheme, bad coaching, and unmotivated players. What I see and what others see are completely different. 

and no, that doesn't show he holds players accountable. Some players need more motivation over others, kind of like Reggie Wayne initially. 

I wont lie. I am biased against pagano. I'm sure I go a little over board in that area, but I still believe what I believe. 

1 minute ago, NannyMcafee said:

I never claimed to know the cause of the Colts woes. I prefer to think it's a mixture of scheme, bad coaching, and unmotivated players.

and no, that doesn't show he holds players accountable. Some players need more motivation over others, kind of like Reggie Wayne initially. 

I wont lie. I am biased against pagano. I'm sure I go a little over board in that area, but I still believe what I believe. 

Motivation...now that is mostly on the players in my opinion.  Go out and do your job.  That's what you're getting paid the big bucks for.  What other modivation does a player require?  Competition, I guess?  A coach can teach all he wants, but if the player doesn't want to run proper routes or learn ball handling, then it's on the player.

IF, however, the player refuses to perform then they should be benched or released.  That, indeed is on the coaches and GM.

Not going to knock a person for having their belief.  I also agree that it is probably a combination of multiple factors.  I'm just not sure I can say what goes on in practice to determine if it's more coaching or a player's shortcomings.  I guess we'll never really know.

1 hour ago, tikyle said:

alex smith is third in yardage and first in QB rating this year

2 hours ago, colt18 said:

Because good coaches are able to scheme around their players and play to their strengths, not continue to have their players trying do what they clearly can't.

Pagano has shown numerous times that he is unable to make key adjustments. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised that we don't have faith in this coaching staff.

What I can't reconcile in my mind is the discrepancy between the lack of faith of the fan base and local writers, and the apparent faith of Ballard, the players and Irsay towards Pagano and the coaching staff. 

Maybe they know something we don't?

2 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Motivation...now that is mostly on the players in my opinion.  Go out and do your job.  That's what you're getting paid the big bucks for.  What other modivation does a player require?  Competition, I guess?  A coach can teach all he wants, but if the player doesn't want to run proper routes or learn ball handling, then it's on the player.

IF, however, the player refuses to perform then they should be benched or released.  That, indeed is on the coaches and GM.

Not going to knock a person for having their belief.  I also agree that it is probably a combination of multiple factors.  I'm just not sure I can say what goes on in practice to determine if it's more coaching or a player's shortcomings.  I guess we'll never really know.

Yeah we probably will never know. Even if we hire a new staff, more players will be signed and drafted. A lot can change in an off season. 

10 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I see him maxing out as a journeyman personally.  He makes decent throws and buys some time in the pocket but he's not yet stepped up and taken over a game like you would want to see out of a franchise QB.  

Granted he doesn't have a lot of starts under his belt but to me he just hasn't displayed that quality yet.  I see him potentially as a future Brian Hoyer.  Probably someone who will move every year or 2 from franchise to franchise, always too good to just be regulated to the bench but never good enough to be someone a team hangs onto as a starter for a long time.

Remember the two teams we have beat are totally winless.  

Although it was great to see him get on his timing with TY.  That should bode well for the future as the key to the Colts offense being any kind of dangerous is that the QB can connect with TY deep.  

My question is where is moncrief

13 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

You may be right, George and Green may work their way into playing time on certain downs. Maybe the coaches don't think they are ready just yet but are going to work them in.

People throw out opinions like, this player/coach, sucks, stinks etc. That assumes they've reached their potential and that they can't improve.

Ballard and Pagano have preached competition. Going to be interesting to see who steps up at ILB. They definitely need to play better. 

George has flashed every time he gets a shot. The game he started at ILB vs the Cards He put up a team high 86.7 PFF rating. That's easily the best rated performance we have has from an ILB. He gave up 1 completion that went for -6 yards and didn't miss a tackle all day. We have not seen him at ILB since despite our struggles.

George has earned his shot. I'm not surprised he's not getting it. I'm really tired of this staff. 

15 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Because I don't see you saying the same thing about luck. Is luck a work in progress? 

I don't know if this is semantics,  but I'm not sure Luck is a work in progress?   Maybe.

But I absolutely think we have not seen the best of Andrew Luck.    I think he's capable of much, much more.

Yes,  I think the right coaching could do it. This is in part why I think our next HC will have an offensive background.   Luck is the future, we have to get the most from him.

14 hours ago, Narcosys said:

People who work in the NFL...   GM's, player personnel,  scouts,  coaches,  you name it,  they have put Luck into two categories every year he's been in the league.   

Luck has either been a top tier, top-5 QB,  or,  at worst, a top-10 QB closer to 5 than 10.

This has been documented on ESPN.com every year in their annual poll of executives.

I appreciate that you're not happy with Luck, but the only world where Luck is thought If as "just above average" is the world of a disappointed fan.

For people who make football their life's work, Andrew Luck is a tremendous talent.   He may not be Brady or Rogers, but he's the real deal.

15 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Luck, barely above average.

You're insane if you don't think he's at minimum top 10.  You just plain don't know what you're talking about.

11 hours ago, Finball said:

Benoit also said it in a Colts season preview article:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/14/indianapolis-colts-training-camp-season-preview-andrew-luck

The problem is, they are saying he is elite based in what they believe he can play, his potential. It hasn't translated onto the field for me. How is he elite if he makes too many negative plays?

2 hours ago, bananabucket said:

You're insane if you don't think he's at minimum top 10.  You just plain don't know what you're talking about.

In the current league, he's around 7. But that speaks to the sad state of affairs for qbs around the league.

19 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

There is one thing you forgot to mention: Reggie Wayne needed time to prove he's worthy. Robert Mathis spent his first year in the special team, before he's proved he'll be a fine edge rusher. Even Manning needed a year to get off of that 27INT rookie production.

This team is young and inexperienced. And, in addition to that - due to consequences of the wonderful Grigson era - still lacks talent or depth all over the roster. And as a result of that, those players, who commit those mistakes on the field are either rookies with only 4-5 games of NFL experience under their belts, or free agents, who are fine players, but new to this team, new to this system, still learning the nuances of the system and each other. And, there are other free agents (or UDFAs), who were odd mans out somewhere else, and Ballard brought them in, hoping, that he'll find one, maybe a few gems of the many. And the coaching staft can't say, "OK, you suck, you're gone", because - at least now - there is no better player on the roster to replace them with. Thats rebuilding, that's what the Colts do at the moment, and hopefully will finish within the next 1-2 years.

22 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Not sure where to go with this?  You mention he has the ability to be a good starter and mention he is pretty green, then say he does not do anything to win games and is a above average backup?  He runs for a TD when needed.  He throws a 46 yard beautifully placed ball in OT just yesterday to help solidify the game.  I would say he is playing pretty well as a starter right now.  Better than some that is for sure.

I think JB has been a steal of a trade.  I think it's laughable that we've had the likes of Jim Sorgi's and Scott Tolzien's as backups and not solidfiy guys like JB and Hasselbeck.  He is playing well but we need to slow down on the elite thing.  And also I need to see him throw a TD inside the 10 to proclaim him a great starter.  He has tools but let's slow down, it was the 49ers.

21 hours ago, aaron11 said:

alex smith is third in yardage and first in QB rating this year

What is Alex Smith over his 10 year career?  He's having a great year because he has homerun guys around him making plays.  Alex Smith is also the guy that Colin Kaepernick took his job and team and took them to the Superbowl.  Is he any different of a player now?  Check his stats pre and post Kareem Hunt and I would say yes he's the same guy, he just has great skill guys (and a HOF play caller) around him.

I think JB has been a steal of a trade.  I think it's laughable that we've had the likes of Jim Sorgi's and Scott Tolzien's as backups and not solidfiy guys like JB and Hasselbeck.  He is playing well but we need to slow down on the elite thing.  And also I need to see him throw a TD inside the 10 to proclaim him a great starter.  He has tools but let's slow down, it was the 49ers.

I have not nor have I seen the elite comments, if I did I scrolled right by anyways.  As I stated he has been pretty good but yes he needs to get better with the ball security and throw a TD.  He has however been a HUGE benefit to this offense.

What is Alex Smith over his 10 year career?  He's having a great year because he has homerun guys around him making plays.  Alex Smith is also the guy that Colin Kaepernick took his job and team and took them to the Superbowl.  Is he any different of a player now?  Check his stats pre and post Kareem Hunt and I would say yes he's the same guy, he just has great skill guys (and a HOF play caller) around him.

a QB cant do it alone, if the chiefs didnt have talent then it was going to be tough for smith to put up big numbers

i think he could have taken that niners team to a super bowl too, kap didnt do anything special besides a run or two.  he didnt put up big numbers either, he never really has

smith lost that job to an injury 

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

a QB cant do it alone, if the chiefs didnt have talent then it was going to be tough for smith to put up big numbers

i think he could have taken that niners team to a super bowl too, kap didnt do anything special besides a run or two.  he didnt put up big numbers either, he never really has

smith lost that job to an injury 

People think Smith lost his starting job because he was playing poorly. He was having a very good year had the 49ers at 6-2 had a 104 QB Rating and got injured.  Kap came in and he played well, as well and Harbuagh didn't want to change things right before the playoffs.  Right or wrong, in the end SF kept the wrong QB and KC is thankful.

The Chiefs signed Maclin to give them that deep threat and he didn't give it to them... he has good speed but he doesn't have that 2nd gear to get open deep.  Now they have Tyreek Hill who has a 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear so not only is he a legitimate deep threat, he also opens things up for Kelce and (at least until his injury) for Conley.

19 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

People think Smith lost his starting job because he was playing poorly. He was having a very good year had the 49ers at 6-2 had a 104 QB Rating and got injured.  Kap came in and he played well, as well and Harbuagh didn't want to change things right before the playoffs.  Right or wrong, in the end SF kept the wrong QB and KC is thankful.

Who thinks that?  He lost his job because his replacement played better than him.  Ask Drew Bledsoe.  In 2012 (regular season) Smith and Kaepernick had the exact same number of pass attempts, 218.  Smith had a higher % 70.2 to Kaepernicks 62.4.  Kaepernick threw for 100 more yards, 2 less INT and 3 less TDs and had a higher QBR.  Kaepernick also had 415 rushing yards to Smith's 132 rushing yds.  He was the better option....period.  And to say they kept the wrong QB is silly too.  If Kaepernick was on KC now and Alex Smith played with the nothing that was on SF last year, you really think Smith would have done better?  Did you see Smith's 2013 and 2014 in KC?  Andy Reid with Kaepernick and the guys he has now would look even better than that one season he had a healthy Mike Vick and the Eagles offense was crazy.  An offensive genius like Andy Reid with a QB like Kaepernick would be something we've never seen before.  We saw what Harbaugh did with him and he's no Andy Reid.  People need to not confuse Kaepernick with how he's being portrayed now.  This is the guy that put up 25 points in the 2nd half of the Superbowl vs that Ravens defense, the same Ravens defense that held Tom Brady to 13 total points two weeks earlier (shut Brady out in the 2nd half and Brady threw 54 times).