Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF Analysis of Colts Performance

DaveA1102

For those who value the grading system, interesting information from their article off the back of the game.  Full article here if you want to see 49er's information:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-indianapolis-colts-26-san-francisco-49ers-23/

Colts information posted below:

Top 5 Grades:

DI Al Woods, 86.2 overall grade

HB Marlon Mack, 85.4 overall grade

DI Jonathan Hankins, 78.8 overall grade

DI Henry Anderson, 78.5 overall grade

QB Jacoby Brissett, 78.5 overall grade

Performances of Note:

Although Brissett failed to find the end zone through the air, he littered the field throughout with a number of Big Time Throws down the field and intermediate timing routes outside the numbers. Brissett found big plays down the field to T.Y. Hilton on both a scramble deep post and an out and up in OT. Brissett had a crucial mistake throwing an INT to Ray Ray Armstrong in OT, but he was able to bounce back and lead the offense to field goal range for Vinatieri. Brissett was at his best while under pressure, going 7-11 for 139 yards and a 107.2 passer rating.

WR T.Y. Hilton, 78.9 overall grade

Hilton had a monster day hauling in seven of his nine targets for 177 yards, good for 25.3 yards per catch. Brissett and Hilton showed good chemistry down the field, connecting on gains of 63 and 46 yards. Hilton did have two drops on the day that held his numbers and grade back a bit, one on a perfectly placed deep corner route in the first half.

Woods is a good fit at nose tackle in the Colts’ defense. He wrecked the 49ers zone scheme consistently Sunday afternoon. Woods managed an 87.4 run defense grade, disrupting San Francisco’s double teams on a consistent basis. He also registered a hurry and batted pass, making his presence felt regularly as a pass-rusher.

LBs Jon Bostic, 37.4 and Antonio Morrison, 39.6 overall grades

Shanahan is an expert at exploiting the intermediate level between linebackers and the secondary in zone coverage. He runs numerous flood concepts and in breaking routes off hard play action. Indianapolis’ linebackers could not cope. They were off balance throughout the game, either reacting too slowly or finding themselves out of position. Between them, they allowed 85 yards on 10 targets and a touchdown. Linebacker is an area of huge concern for the Colts.

Pretty much echoes what is being said elsewhere in relation to ILB's being the weak spot and that Shanahan did a good job on picking on us there, with no adjustments to try and rectify on our part. 

Good to see the D-line with another strong outing.

Final note that they gave the game ball to Brissett.  With some rather glaring errors within a good performance, I thought they might have gone for Mack.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

For those who value the grading system, interesting information from their article off the back of the game.  Full article here if you want to see 49er's information:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-indianapolis-colts-26-san-francisco-49ers-23/

Colts information posted below:

Top 5 Grades:

HB Marlon Mack, 85.4 overall grade

DI Jonathan Hankins, 78.8 overall grade

DI Henry Anderson, 78.5 overall grade

Performances of Note:

Although Brissett failed to find the end zone through the air, he littered the field throughout with a number of Big Time Throws down the field and intermediate timing routes outside the numbers. Brissett found big plays down the field to T.Y. Hilton on both a scramble deep post and an out and up in OT. Brissett had a crucial mistake throwing an INT to Ray Ray Armstrong in OT, but he was able to bounce back and lead the offense to field goal range for Vinatieri. Brissett was at his best while under pressure, going 7-11 for 139 yards and a 107.2 passer rating.

WR T.Y. Hilton, 78.9 overall grade

Hilton had a monster day hauling in seven of his nine targets for 177 yards, good for 25.3 yards per catch. Brissett and Hilton showed good chemistry down the field, connecting on gains of 63 and 46 yards. Hilton did have two drops on the day that held his numbers and grade back a bit, one on a perfectly placed deep corner route in the first half.

Woods is a good fit at nose tackle in the Colts’ defense. He wrecked the 49ers zone scheme consistently Sunday afternoon. Woods managed an 87.4 run defense grade, disrupting San Francisco’s double teams on a consistent basis. He also registered a hurry and batted pass, making his presence felt regularly as a pass-rusher.

LBs Jon Bostic, 37.4 and Antonio Morrison, 39.6 overall grades

Shanahan is an expert at exploiting the intermediate level between linebackers and the secondary in zone coverage. He runs numerous flood concepts and in breaking routes off hard play action. Indianapolis’ linebackers could not cope. They were off balance throughout the game, either reacting too slowly or finding themselves out of position. Between them, they allowed 85 yards on 10 targets and a touchdown. Linebacker is an area of huge concern for the Colts.

Pretty much echoes what is being said elsewhere in relation to ILB's being the weak spot and that Shanahan did a good job on picking on us there, with no adjustments to try and rectify on our part. 

Good to see the D-line with another strong outing.

Final note that they gave the game ball to Brissett.  With some rather glaring errors within a good performance, I thought they might have gone for Mack.

If the problem was a mental thing on them (reaction time, being out of position), why assume it was a failure by the coaching staff to adjust? Is it possible if the players had executed the way they were coached, there wouldn't have been issues in th first place?

At what point are players held responsible for the things they have been coached on ?

16 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

If the problem was a mental thing on them (reaction time, being out of position), why assume it was a failure by the coaching staff to adjust? Is it possible if the players had executed the way they were coached, there wouldn't have been issues in th first place?

At what point are players held responsible for the things they have been coached on ?

Well the both of the backers who suck are starting because of the coaches. So you have to eventually blame the coach. George showed he's more viable in coverage than them both in the cards game and now he's stuck on special teams  I'm almost 80% sure Green and can be a dime backer for us vs tight ends or even Mingo he has great speed and reaction yet we stick with Morrison/Bostic neither who can cover  and Morrison he's blown off the ball so very often in the run game..

19 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I understand your perspective, and 100% agree they have to take their (significant) share of the blame, but when they are so obviously struggling and this is how SF are making their progress down the field, why are we not trying something different?

If they are continually making mental errors, its on the coaches if they keep putting them back out there.  George is someone who I thought showed flashes in other games this year, why not throw him in there and, at worst, the others get a kick up the backside to see that level of play wont see them last in the team.

On 2017. 10. 09. at 12:17 PM, coltsfeva said:

Meh, don't worth the effort. People, who are jumped on the fire XY (Pagano, Chud, whoever) bandwagon, will always find reasons to blame them. If there's nothing that makes sense, they'll find plain silly ones.

Actually, in my opinion, it wasn't Brissett, it wasn't Mack, it wasn't Pagano, it wasn't Chud, but it was the Niners coaching staff who made the biggest mistake yesterday, keeping their players (safeties, outside LBs) attack the inside, leaving the outside for Mack to take, even after Mack lit them on fire a few times. That mistake pretty much cost the game for them. The rest was mostly lack of excecution, not related to playcalling, adjusting, etc, from both sides.

p.s. Al Woods proves to be a great addition to this team, he is good overall and does make plays almost every game. Some acquisitions didn't work out as we hoped (Schwenke, the OL monster guy picked in the 3rd round, etc.), but overall, Ballard's doing a great job so far.

38 minutes ago, will426 said:

Well the both of the backers who suck are starting because of the coaches. So you have to eventually blame the coach. George showed he's more viable in coverage than them both in the cards game and now he's stuck on special teams  I'm almost 80% sure Green and can be a dime backer for us vs tight ends or even Mingo he has great speed and reaction yet we stick with Morrison/Bostic neither who can cover  and Morrison he's blown off the ball so very often in the run game..

You may be right, George and Green may work their way into playing time on certain downs. Maybe the coaches don't think they are ready just yet but are going to work them in.

People throw out opinions like, this player/coach, sucks, stinks etc. That assumes they've reached their potential and that they can't improve.

Ballard and Pagano have preached competition. Going to be interesting to see who steps up at ILB. They definitely need to play better. 

Just now, coltsfeva said:

You may be right, George and Green may work their way into playing time on certain downs. Maybe the coaches don't think they are ready just yet but are going to work them in.

People throw out opinions like, this player/coach, sucks, stinks etc. That doesn't seem very objective and assumes they've reached their potential and that they can't improve.

Ballard and Pagano have preached competition. Going to be interesting to see who steps up at ILB. They definitely need to play better. 

Glad to see Brissett continuing to pleasantly surprise.  He's not Andrew Luck, but he's done enough to win every game he's played if other elements of the team had done their jobs a little better especially in the second half.

Jacoby Brissett is, right now, probably an above average quarterback.  Not great, but above average.  In a year where the Colts are without their franchise superstar, they're very lucky to have him.  An above average quarterback with a good head on his shoulders can absolutely make a name for himself in this league, if surrounded by the right talent.

14 minutes ago, George Peterson said:

Glad to see Brissett continuing to pleasantly surprise.  He's not Andrew Luck, but he's done enough to win every game he's played if other elements of the team had done their jobs a little better especially in the second half.

Jacoby Brissett is, right now, probably an above average quarterback.  Not great, but above average.  In a year where the Colts are without their franchise superstar, they're very lucky to have him.  An above average quarterback with a good head on his shoulders can absolutely make a name for himself in this league, if surrounded by the right talent.

While I think JB is a starting QB in the works I wouldn't go as far as saying everything he has done was enough to win every game he has played in. A interception in overtime and the interception in the red zone yesterday can't be overlooked.

I am glad we have him and I think Ballard trading for him was a smart move but he is still a work in progress.

He doesn't get into the position to make those mistakes without playing well for most of the afternoon. 

I think you're right, I'm just saying, Brissett has done a very good job of keeping games competitive, and for a team with a weak roster, that's a job well done.  He's not a superstar, but he's put himself in position to be an assett rather than a liability.  As Tolzein demonstrates, that didn't have to happen when you give the franchise to the backup.  Without the trade we could easily be 0-5 or 1-4 and talking about draft position right now instead of still clinging onto dreams of a playoff berth.

2 minutes ago, George Peterson said:

He doesn't get into the position to make those mistakes without playing well for most of the afternoon. 

I think you're right, I'm just saying, Brissett has done a very good job of keeping games competitive, and for a team with a weak roster, that's a job well done.  He's not a superstar, but he's put himself in position to be an assett rather than a liability.  As Tolzein demonstrates, that didn't have to happen when you give the franchise to the backup.  We could easily be 0-5 or 1-4 without JB.

You are correct but we also have to keep in mind we beat two teams who have yet to win a game.

2 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

The patriots group of players aren't more talented than the colts group of players. If you can tell me exactly how I'm wrong I'd love to hear it. But talent wise, it's just not a very big difference. 

The biggest difference is coaching.

how many times have we seen teams make a run at the SB who are less talented? Being disciplined enough to not drop the ball, falls on the coaching staff. The can't have an Allstar at every position. If you could, you wouldn't really need a very good HC. But the facts say we can't have that so we need a competent head coach. 

53 minutes ago, Devildog said:

Should be easy to find Pagano. He would be in the bottom 5.

You know when you're at the dog park and all the dogs are calm and acting like dogs should?

and then someone shows up with a nervous, "jumpy" dog?  And suddenly all the dogs are jumpy and not focused on being dogs?

thats how i feel about Pagano.

hes not at all calm in the face of pressure.  He makes me nervous vous on my couch, it HAS to affect coaches and players around him.

on a side note, Ballard seems the opposite under pressure.

i want a field general that stands calmly and confidently when the bullets tly.  Not a chicken with its head cut off.  Its cultural.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sorry, I was wrong. I don't question your reality. I question your sanity.

I dont underatand why you keep talking to me. I have yet to agree with you. Do you like running in circles? Oh yeah... you don't like reading between the lines that say we don't agree with each other ever. 

3 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I dont underatand why you keep talking to me. I have yet to agree with you. Do you like running in circles? Oh yeah... you don't like reading between the lines that say we don't agree with each other ever. 

For you to even make the comment the Colts players are just as good as the Patriots players is pure asinine. That is reality that in not between any lines.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

For you to even make the comment the Colts players are just as good as the Patriots player is pure asinine. That is reality that in not between any lines.

Actually pure talent for talent, our players are just as good as the Patriots.  They just have a different system and scheme that works for who they have.  Brady is better than Brissett but after that I would say we have some similarities for sure.

15 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

The patriots group of players aren't more talented than the colts group of players. If you can tell me exactly how I'm wrong I'd love to hear it. But talent wise, it's just not a very big difference. 

The biggest difference is coaching.

how many times have we seen teams make a run at the SB who are less talented? Being disciplined enough to not drop the ball, falls on the coaching staff. The can't have an Allstar at every position. If you could, you wouldn't really need a very good HC. But the facts say we can't have that so we need a competent head coach. 

My point was not that we were lacking talent. To be out of place and late reacting are mental issues. Some assume they aren't being coached correctly and they could be right.

To be honest, I'm not there everyday in practice to know if it is coaching or the players not taking advantage of what they are being taught. Could be both, they just have to improve in that area, like they have in areas like run defense and special teams.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

For you to even make the comment the Colts players are just as good as the Patriots players is pure asinine. That is reality that in not between any lines.

You realize words mean things right? I never said that the Colts players were just as good. I said they're just as talented. Those 2 things are completely different from one another. You can have all the talent in the world but you can still suck. 

You need a good coach who can bring that out in your players. 

Im beginning to think you just like disagreeing with me. Do you wait in the weeds for opportunities to argue with me? 

2 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

You realize words mean things right? I never said that the Colts players were just as good. I said they're just as talented. Those 2 things are completely different from one another. You can have all the talent in the world but you can still suck. 

You need a good coach who can bring that out in your players. 

Im beginning to think you just like disagreeing with me. Do you wait in the weeds for opportunities to argue with me? 

No. I react to any comments I feel are wrong.

Even with a healthy Luck the Colts offense cant compete with the offense of the patriots. Not even close at this time.  

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

No. I react to any comments I feel are wrong.

Even with a healthy Luck the Colts offense cant compete with the offense of the patriots. Not even close at this time.  

I agree. I don't care if you're a high school team if you're coached correctly and the other team isn't you're going to win 9 times out of 10. 

Every times the colts play the patriots it has to be a high scoring game to win. And also, 9 times out of 10 the colts shoot themselves in the foot and make stupid mistakes. That's coaching. Sorry buddy. Dropping the football, and throwing an interception isn't about talent. It's about focus. A focus this team just doesn't emphasize. 

47 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

While I think JB is a starting QB in the works I wouldn't go as far as saying everything he has done was enough to win every game he has played in. A interception in overtime and the interception in the red zone yesterday can't be overlooked.

I am glad we have him and I think Ballard trading for him was a smart move but he is still a work in progress.

I'm sorry, how many game costing interceptions has luck thrown? Yesterday's didn't

Just now, NannyMcafee said:

I agree. I don't care if you're a high school team if you're coached correctly and the other team isn't you're going to win 9 times out of 10. 

Every times the colts play the patriots it has to be a high scoring game to win. And also, 9 times out of 10 the colts shoot themselves in the foot and make stupid mistakes. That's coaching. Sorry buddy. 

Sorry back to you. If you think the Colts problems all fall on the coaching then there is nothing more I can say that would change your comprehension of what having the right players that have the talent to do what is needed.

That is exactly why Grigson is no longer here. Sorry, Pagano didn't have any trouble getting wins when he had the players to win with.

49 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I see him maxing out as a journeyman personally.  He makes decent throws and buys some time in the pocket but he's not yet stepped up and taken over a game like you would want to see out of a franchise QB.  

Granted he doesn't have a lot of starts under his belt but to me he just hasn't displayed that quality yet.  I see him potentially as a future Brian Hoyer.  Probably someone who will move every year or 2 from franchise to franchise, always too good to just be regulated to the bench but never good enough to be someone a team hangs onto as a starter for a long time.

Remember the two teams we have beat are totally winless.  

Although it was great to see him get on his timing with TY.  That should bode well for the future as the key to the Colts offense being any kind of dangerous is that the QB can connect with TY deep.  

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sorry back to you. If you think the Colts problems all fall on the coaching then there is nothing more I can say that would change your comprehension of what having the right players that have the talent to do what is needed.

That is exactly why Grigson is no longer here. Sorry, Pagano didn't have any trouble getting wins when he had the players to win with.

I came to the conclusion long ago that we wouldn't agree with each other. Glad to see you have caught up. 

1 minute ago, Narcosys said:

Because I don't see you saying the same thing about luck. Is luck a work in progress? 

Are you serious?  Luck holds many records for a QB in his first few years of starting.

JB is a back up QB.

For you to expect me to compare the two just shows all you care to do is blow hot air.

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Are you serious?  Luck holds many records for a QB in his first few years of starting.

JB is a back up QB.

For you to expect me to compare the two just shows all you care to do is blow hot air.

Oohhh, his first few years. Hes been in 6, played for 5 and had 68 interceptions over that period along with a below 60% completion percentage. Did you say much about his 18 his rookie year? 

His 1st 5 years stats are right there on par with matthew Stafford.  JB is playing like an above average starter right now.

23 hours ago, Narcosys said:

His 1st 5 years stats are right there on par with matthew Stafford.  JB is playing like an above average starter right now.

No, he's not. Hoyer didn't play like an above average starter, and he was the better QB of the two on the field last night. 

I have no problem with Brissett at all, I like the guy, and appreciate what he's been doing for the team. But saying he's playing at above average level is simply disrespectfull to players like Luck, who IS above average.