Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Watson the real deal?

runthepost

Meh, doesn't really look like it yet. Ceiling is there, but I am not convinced. I have watched him quite a bit this year and I'm not that impressed. Watched into the mid 3rd quarter last night and he was bordering on dreadful in that span. Lots of work to do in terms of footwork, setup mechanics and finding a more consistent release point. 

No doubt he`s playing well, but year two and three is when we will really know if Watson is legit. Z. Prescott is nowhere near as dominant as last year. Defensive coordinates have a full offseason to study players and scheme differently the following season. Kap and RG3 are prime examples.

51 minutes ago, MPStack said:

No doubt he`s playing well, but year two and three is when we will really know if Watson is legit. Z. Prescott is nowhere near as dominant as last year. Defensive coordinates have a full offseason to study players and scheme differently the following season. Kap and RG3 are prime examples.

I dont know if he will keep it up after this year but for now he is playing at mvp level.

He is, but like all rookie QB's, NFL caliber DC's will get 'tape' on him and devise ways to take away his best attributes.  Then Watson will struggle a little as he develops his other skills and become a complete QB, as well as experienced.  If no injuries, he could be Texans QB for a long time.

Fortunately for guys like him and Prescott, they have a decent team on both sides of the ball around them to get through some tougher times.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think he is but if Andrew gets healthy we win this Division

The Colts defense is better than the Texans? To date there are very few negatives about Watson and what issues there are should be gone with time and experience. Peyton Manning still holds the rookie record for most INTs in a season.

9 hours ago, runthepost said:

Is he finally the qb the Texans get to put them over the top? 10 TDs in the last 2 games. Some solid games so far. I understand it's early in the season but in my opinion he looks like he can be a good qb in the league

Its so hard  to tell after 4 games..

His maturity is obvious....and it shows that he played so many college games before he came to the NFL...

He can escape the rush and extend the play......I see him running as a last resort and not as an offense...

I still think he gives up on his first 'read' early and his accuracy is on and off.

What's hard to know is: Some rookies burn hot and then burn out like Robert Griffin.

Dak Prescott isn't having the year he had in 2016....Still good but you don't automatically get better with age.

Jared Goff is vastly improve dover year one.  Carson Wentz looks like Andrew Luck.

Its hard to judge a QB on 4, 12, or 24 games.

There's so many ups and downs..

One thing though: Barring an injury in Houston, I think we've seen the end of the 'Savage Nation'

Sooner or later, teams will start playing the pass vs Watson and start testing his patience with a spy, much like Russell Wilson. Rush 4, have a 5th guy as a spy and the other 6 play coverage. See if he is patient enough to hand it off 30 times. Once he starts throwing picks and gets that one BIG HIT (much like RG3 did), Bill O' Brien might start clamping down on Watson's throws. Till then, he will let him wing it. :) 

Teams like the Ravens and Steelers curbed that read option thing with Kaepernick by saying "hey, if there is a possibility of the QB handing it off but keeping it hidden till the last moment anyways, we will hit him on the way regardless". Ravens' Ngata was also the one that put a hurt on RG3 when he was scrambling too much. Watson seems more smarter than that that he doesn't scramble as much as RG3 and right now, he is cueing in on DeAndre Hopkins a lot and teams will catch on to that eventually.

But for fantasy purposes, he is a fantasy God right now and if you own him or his team members, you root for him, I can understand that. :) 

Yes, but he'll be ruined by Bill O'Brien in 2 years tops, maybe even by the end of this year like every quarterback of his has been. Yeah yeah those guys weren't GOATS but they were well enough to win on those teams. By the end they were trash. I can't believe how nobody is on to this fraud. He's like a whinier version of both Harbaughs combined, minus the football knowledge. He's always pouting and crying and groaning, and those dry heave looking looking fits he has over ever little incomplete pass...???

7 hours ago, King Colt said:

The Colts defense is better than the Texans? To date there are very few negatives about Watson and what issues there are should be gone with time and experience. Peyton Manning still holds the rookie record for most INTs in a season.

They just lost JJ and their best LB, this Division is up in the air. Jax doesn't scare me at all with Bortles at the helm. I would've took Watson #1 in the Draft, Chicago made the wrong choice IMO

16 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He is, but like all rookie QB's, NFL caliber DC's will get 'tape' on him and devise ways to take away his best attributes.  Then Watson will struggle a little as he develops his other skills and become a complete QB, as well as experienced.  If no injuries, he could be Texans QB for a long time.

Unfortunately for us, we don't have someone who knows how to game plan and make halftime adjustments 

1 hour ago, Luck 4 president said:

Unfortunately for us, we don't have someone who knows how to game plan and make halftime adjustments 

So what does that have to do with Watson?

You choose to derail and hi jack this thread with more bash the coaches topic? We already have enough of them.

No doubt the kid is very talented and looks to be the best QB from the draft this year (awaiting Trubisky's form playing out).

Let me see him this time next year before I would say "real deal".  Players like RGIII and Bortles have shown jumping on a bandwagon can leave you with egg on your face!

He's playing out of his mind!  What's he have like 12 TD's in 4 games?  I still think people need to pump the brakes though, he still needs more games to prove himself.  Lets see how he does against Seattle's defense in Seattle in a few weeks, I know Seattle's defense isn't what it was a few years ago but there still tough.  He has been really good so far though which is scary for the AFC South. 

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:02 PM, RockThatBlue said:

He is impressive. He put up 5 TDs on the Chiefs, and the Chiefs are one of the more talented defenses in the league 

Watson has definitely shown lots of promise (picked him up in my fantasy league before the NE game woot woot lol) but he has also gone up against some the weaker D's when it comes to total yards and pass D...

1. NE      - 447 Total ypg (32nd)     323 Pass ypg (32nd)         

2. Tenn   - 345 Total ypg (21st)      235 Pass ypg (24th) 

3. KC      - 366 Total ypg (27th)      248 Pass ypg (25th)

So I would like to see him go up against one of the better D's in the league first before really saying one way or the other. But wow 10 passing TD's in the past 2 games is still 10 TD's no matter who your playing haha not to mention he's pretty good when running with the football to.

On 10/10/2017 at 9:02 PM, RockThatBlue said:

He is impressive. He put up 5 TDs on the Chiefs, and the Chiefs are one of the more talented defenses in the league 

Actually, the Chiefs have been scoring a lot this year, and that has helped their D more than anything. Their D is not a dominant one, IMO, the Broncos are a better D.

Alex Smith is on a mission this year. Andy Reid and folks finally opened up the offense for him. I still think they can be had in a grind it out game where a team takes the lead late against them.

I can see the Chiefs going 14-2 or 15-1 for the #1 seed and crashing and burning in the playoffs like they always do. If the Colts miraculously win the division and play the Chiefs as a #4 seed, I bet their fans will be sweating it out given our playoff history against them.

14 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Another 3 TDs and another win for Watson. He has passed for 1200 yards, 12 TDs and 4 INTs this season. It's early but it's impressive.

yawn. RG3 had a stellar rookie year as well before his big collapse the following year. But for now lets see how far Watson hot hand goes

50 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

yawn. RG3 had a stellar rookie year as well before his big collapse the following year. But for now lets see how far Watson hot hand goes

:thinking: Why did you choose to compare him to RG3??? Lots of other QBs' NFL careers have started well. Why RG3?

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Off topic but awesome win today over the Pack. I feel bad for Rodgers though. On topic I said Watson was the best QB coming out and so far he has been. He is the real deal IMO.

You sure did say that. I liked him because he seemed like a leader but I did not believe he would do that well that fast. He also looks like a good kid. I like Trubisky too. 

Re Rodgers: I don't like to see any players getting hurt. Too many NFL stars are on IR. It hurts the game. 

Happy we got the win. Our defense is playing really well. Keenum is playing ok. Our #1 draft pick last year Treadwell showed promise today.

I was happy to see AP do well today for the Cards. He looked really good. I was embarrassed for him when he was with the Saints. (Hey, your man Brock is in for Denver.)

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

You sure did say that. I liked him because he seemed like a leader but I did not believe he would do that well that fast. He also looks like a good kid. I like Trubisky too. 

Re Rodgers: I don't like to see any players getting hurt. Too many NFL stars are on IR. It hurts the game. 

Happy we got the win. Our defense is playing really well. 

I was happy to see AP do well today for the Cards. He looked really good. I was embarrassed for him when he was with the Saints. (Hey, your man Brock is in for Denver.)

I laughed because of the Brock comment, yeah Trubisky has potential but I like Watson better.

1 hour ago, Shadow_Creek said:

if Rg3 couldn't read a defense then how did the redskins enter the playoffs his first year..?  

Because their OL got such good push that Morris had gaging holes to run through. Plus, RG3, before his legs got hurt with a brutal hit from Ngata when RG3 was running around, was able to keep the read option very dangerous till late in the season. That left 1-on-1s for his primary read Garcon, that he honed on, most of the time since he never had to move away from the first read because of the effectiveness of the read option dictated by his legs and that OL. THAT is why they made the playoffs.

The OL was still effective but the read option was not, once he paid the price for doing too much running around. Thus, he had to rely on making more than 1 primary read in the passing game from the pocket, which he couldn't, and that led to his starter QB demise eventually.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Because their OL got such good push that Morris had gaging holes to run through. Plus, RG3, before his legs got hurt with a brutal hit from Ngata when RG3 was running around, was able to keep the read option very dangerous till late in the season. That left 1-on-1s for his primary read Garcon, that he honed on, most of the time since he never had to move away from the first read because of the effectiveness of the read option dictated by his legs and that OL. THAT is why they made the playoffs.

The OL was still effective but the read option was not, once he paid the price for doing too much running around. Thus, he had to rely on making more than 1 primary read in the passing game from the pocket, which he couldn't, and that led to his starter QB demise eventually.

Once RG3 got injured it made him 1 dimensional, his speed was lethal but once he got injured he never regained it.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

well i guess Rg3 wasn't a good comparison. but pretty much all i'm saying is i wont be convince till i see Watson play year 2 because look at Dak and all the talent he has around him yet  this seems to be his struggling year

30 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

well i guess Rg3 wasn't a good comparison. but pretty much all i'm saying is i wont be convince till i see Watson play year 2 because look at Dak and all the talent he has around him yet  this seems to be his struggling year

How is Dak struggling?  He has 100 yards less than Watson on 5 more attempts.  He has a better completion % and has 11TD's to 4 INT's.  He is still having a pretty good year when they have not been able to run the ball to well.  There line has some injuries and is not performing like last year.  Dak is still playing very well and is on pace for better stats than last year for the most part... 

Yeah, Dak has not been very good this year. The point is, and this is true in hockey too, you can walk in with athletic tools and do work (RG3, Kaepernick, etc) but once everyone has the film on you and learns your tendencies, if you don't have the mental ability to adapt to their adaptation, if you can't let your mind do some of the work, you wash out of the league...

That said, I do think Watson can think the game at a higher level than those losers. My issue with Watson is his setup and arm mechanics...we'll see if he can clean that up...

Watson is the real deal, his best asset is his composure followed by his work ethic.  That is what will make him a good pro for the long run.  Also Prescott is still playing some good ball 

62.6%
1,192yds
11Td
4Int
93.1  Rating, those numbers are still very good.