Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This is Marlon Macks world

RockThatBlue

I was impressed with Mack today also.  Hopefully he continues to grow and get better.  It seems like if they want to Chud could get really creative with him.  I'd like to see him get some good runs up the middle to boost his confidence, also get a couple passes thrown his way.  He can run up the middle as we've seen in preseason.  I know it wasn't against starters but he has that capability.  He's about Gores size, not as stout but I think he has the capability to be very elusive and has the capability to break tackles. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We have to hold on till Good is back at RT.  Mack deserves more PT and a few balls thrown his way as well.  Next week we get Doyle, Hairston and probably Wilson back.  Tenn. is definitely winnable as long as Brissett doesn't lose it.  He almost lost this one today.  He is really a rookie on a new team.  But he's hanging in there. 

Wondering how much time until Swoope returns?

4 hours ago, Superman said:

He got the perfect amount of touches today. I thought it was mostly a good mix of all three backs. I could see giving Mack more and more reps as time goes on, but he's been out of the lineup and he is known to fumble from time to time. Keep mixing him in for now, but there will be a game at some point where he gets 20+ touches.

Like to see him used out of the backfield a little more but it was good to see the kid shine in the opportunities he was given

I don’t think he should be the featured guy or even the starter.  I think him and Gore make a good team but as the announcer said I do think you need to feed the hot hand.  At the start of the game Gore was hot so I was cool with giving him the carries.  Then the 49ers adjusted and started stuffing him.  So they bring Mack in and he’s running wild.  They should have stuck with him until the 49ers proved they could stop him.  That’s what Tom Moore used to say was his secrect once you find something that works you keep calling it until the other team stops it.  Today though it seemed like well Mack got his series back to Gore until it was time for Mack’s next series.

thats one of my problems with Pagano he sticks with what he planned in the locker room (he does adjust at halftime) rather it’s working or not.  He doesn’t adjust in game to what’s happening in the game.  He’s too stubborn.  

IMO you start Mack and give more than 20 carries, as he has proved he is a playmaker.  (And if the shoulder is a concern then at least give him 20 “touches”). He needs to be given an opportunity to show if he can take over a game and be a lead back.  The shelf life for RBs are way too small and prolonging us discovering this information with using old tattered Gore is a waste of time and a waste of carries on Gore, as Gore has a shelf life too and we may need those precious carries he has left for later in the season.  

Kareem Hunt looks like an MVP candidate right now because Reid trusted him and said we get the playmaker out on the field.  We have an opportunity to do the same.  I think it is extremely counterproductive to immediately label him a “change of pace” back just because he fills in the role nicely when he hasn’t even been given an opportunity to show that he can or can’t be a main back. Put him in there and see if he can change the game.  If he can’t then we move him back to the change up role, but you’ve got to at least give your playmakers a chance to show what they can do.

jmo

2 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

IMO you start Mack and give more than 20 carries, as he has proved he is a playmaker.  (And if the shoulder is a concern then at least give him 20 “touches”). He needs to be given an opportunity to show if he can take over a game and be a lead back.  The shelf life for RBs are way too small and prolonging us discovering this information with using old tattered Gore is a waste of time and a waste of carries on Gore, as Gore has a shelf life too and we may need those precious carries he has left for later in the season.  

Kareem Hunt looks like an MVP candidate right now because Reid trusted him and said we get the playmaker out on the field.  We have an opportunity to do the same.  I think it is extremely counterproductive to immediately label him a “change of pace” back just because he fills in the role nicely when he hasn’t even been given an opportunity to show that he can or can’t be a main back. Put him in there and see if he can change the game.  If he can’t then we move him back to the change up role, but you’ve got to at least give your playmakers a chance to show what they can do.

jmo

What?

LOL...the schizophrenia that is the Colts message board.  Mack goes 10 for 24 against the Rams, 6 for -3 against the Cards, and the Board is silent.  Then he goes for 9 for 91 against the 49ers, and he's god.  I understand why they didn't run him at the end.  Ball security was paramount.  Mack is suspect at ball security as it is and we was favoring his arm when he came off the field.  The coaches made the right decision.   Spielman's criticism was just foolish.

Look, Mack had a good day and really showed his strengths, but be realistic.  On half the plays, the 49er safety were collapsing into the middle and taking themselves out of position to make a play.  Mack's speed made them pay.  Gore wouldn't in the same situation, but not all defenses will make such gaffs...the Rams and Cards certainly didn't.  

As for the comments on the o-line, i've not heard anything about Good's rehab.  I understood he wouldn't be out the entire season and he was playing tackle quite well before his injury.  As well as he sets an edge in the run game, Mack making those plays off Good's run blocks could very well spell even better performances.  

But for Mack to have those type of plays, He cannot be our top back.  A commitee back yes. splitting reps with Gore is the way to go.  Mack will not beat you up and make you worn down like Gore can do.  Running QB option plays with Gore and and Mack on the field together seems like such a logical choice to me. Either feeding Gore inside, or keeping it and pitching to Mack on a stretch play.  If the front seven doesn't commit to Gore for fear of Mack's big play ability, Gore will pound it inside for 5-10 yards if there is not 7+ defenders committed to him.   And if they do commit, a pitch to Mack would spell disaster for them.

Gore had some nice runs today too.  And Turbin gets little credit but seems to get tuff, hard short yardage 1st downs every week.

on Mack, the 3 "big" runs were great but i'll wait to call him great until after he sees top-notch defenses, not a winless one.  I like what i see tho.  Maybe a little small in the lower body but i bet he would kill on the flat or slot. He had 9 carries today.  3 (1/3) were gamechanger type and 2 were TDs (almost, haha )

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t think he should be the featured guy or even the starter.  I think him and Gore make a good team but as the announcer said I do think you need to feed the hot hand.  At the start of the game Gore was hot so I was cool with giving him the carries.  Then the 49ers adjusted and started stuffing him.  So they bring Mack in and he’s running wild.  They should have stuck with him until the 49ers proved they could stop him.  That’s what Tom Moore used to say was his secrect once you find something that works you keep calling it until the other team stops it.  Today though it seemed like well Mack got his series back to Gore until it was time for Mack’s next series.

thats one of my problems with Pagano he sticks with what he planned in the locker room (he does adjust at halftime) rather it’s working or not.  He doesn’t adjust in game to what’s happening in the game.  He’s too stubborn.  

Not sure it's him being stubborn.  I think it may be lack of mental agility.

11 hours ago, BR-549 said:

I politely disagree.  

We can't keep the ball out of a playmaker's hands.  If he is going to be a fumbler let him fumble and move on from him if he is not able to correct it.  Why let him stand on the sideline and "worry about if he fumbles" the next touch.

He was in a groove and I think they should have kept it going.  It really doesn't matter that we kept Mack from fumbling because JB ended up throwing INT in OT anyway.  

I would rather lose being aggressive.  Keep giving Mack the ball.  If he ends up being a liability move on from him.  This is the best year to figure that out.

The reason Mack was such a playmaker last night was because the way they used him. He is the least effective back rushing between the tackles by far. He needs Gore/Turbin to push the middle and create chances for him in the outside, otherwise defenses would react and close the edges very soon. Plus, while Mack has the ability to become a good pass blocker, he's just not there yet. They need Gore's, Turbin's superior pass blocking if they want to give Brissett a better chance in the pocket.

Btw, Brissett missed an easy checkdown late in the game to Mack. Mack had nothing but green field in front of him. They probably need a bit more practice time. Remember, Brissett is only here for 4 weeks, and Mack was injured since week one, so they don't know each other yet. I hope Mack's shoulder is ok, so he can keep practicing and receive valuable snap counts, that is key to increasing his role in the upcoming weeks.

25 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

The reason Mack was such a playmaker last night was because the way they used him. He is the least effective back rushing between the tackles by far. He needs Gore/Turbin to push the middle and create chances for him in the outside, otherwise defenses would react and close the edges very soon. Plus, while Mack has the ability to become a good pass blocker, he's just not there yet. They need Gore's, Turbin's superior pass blocking if they want to give Brissett a better chance in the pocket.

Btw, Brissett missed an easy checkdown late in the game to Mack. Mack had nothing but green field in front of him. They probably need a bit more practice time. Remember, Brissett is only here for 4 weeks, and Mack was injured since week one, so they don't know each other yet. I hope Mack's shoulder is ok, so he can keep practicing and receive valuable snap counts, that is key to increasing his role in the upcoming weeks.

There is no reason to run most of your plays between the tackles until you have a healthy and cohesive offensive line. Edgerrin did most of his damage outside the tackles and as a passing threat. Also, Gore is not showing he has the ability anymore to beat someone in space after crossing the line of scrimmage the way Mack has.

53 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I've got mixed reactions. Happy to see him go off, but I agree that he's not an inside runner. 

He had some spectacular looking runs between the tackles vs. Dallas in preseason, and was hard as hell to bring down.  With better O-line play, with a crease here or there he could do it all, I believe.  Also, once Luck returns, teams won't be stacking the box.  If you spread it out and pass to set up the run, he could be lethal in the old Faulk/Edge role.  Just get him in space.

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

That is mostly what I was trying to say too.... make them change their scheme when something is working.  Then it opens something else up when they do, if they do.

16 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Might be a good idea to get this kid some more touches going forward. 

That last run was designed beautifully.

Which run are you talking about. Almost all his big runs were scrambled to the outside because of play breakdown lol

1 hour ago, #12. said:

He had some spectacular looking runs between the tackles vs. Dallas in preseason, and was hard as hell to bring down.  With better O-line play, with a crease here or there he could do it all, I believe.  Also, once Luck returns, teams won't be stacking the box.  If you spread it out and pass to set up the run, he could be lethal in the old Faulk/Edge role.  Just get him in space.

I agree with you.  I think he has great vision and knows when to make his cuts. I think he could do it inside with better blocking.  We miss Good more than people realize.  When he returns I think the line play will really improve. 

I like Gore as much as the next guy, but let's be real, Mack is the future.  The kid has a burst that leaves defenders grasping at air.  Why don't we start Mack given the pathetic run blocking of our OL?  He can at least get outside or avert oncoming tacklers with his speed.  

17 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Keep grooming him behind Gore and the Colts might have found their running back for the future.

I don't understand this "grooming" RBs behind someone concept. Running backs are instinctual.... Know where the hole is designed to be. If it's there, take it. If not, split second, uncoachable instincts kick in. The coaching really only comes in to play for blitz pickup and protecting the QB. If you're gaining in the range of 5 ypc you can readily afford to learn pass protection skills on the fly, especially if a RB is a major receiving threat out of the backfield, which Mack is.

Question:  Who did Ezekiel Elliot, Kareem Hunt, Leonard Fournette, Dalvin Cook, Todd Gurley and David Johnson "groom" behind????   

Answer: Nobody.

Mack had more 20+ yard carries Sunday than all the Colts' RBs combined had for all 16 games last season.

If you want to incorporate effective play action passing into your game plan, defenders must have a healthy fear of your running game. If you go all year long with just one 20+ yard carry among all your RBs what is there to fear?  

14 hours ago, Superman said:

Joe Haeg got whipped repeatedly, and Vujnovich makes too many mistakes (that missed block on the screen play probably cost points). I'm not that pleased with the play of the OL, but I was distracted during the game and I haven't rewatched yet.

I thought the OL did well....there were lanes there for Gore...and actually Gore was like a couple years removed from making some big runs of his own. I really liked the way we ran the ball yesterday and the OL was part of that. I think Kelly helped...and I think SF helped too lol. The fact that we even executed a couple short yardage runs when we were expected to run impressed me too. The pass blocking was better. Sure SF doesn't have much of a pass rush but Jacoby had plenty of time to throw today. Granted I think the right side was where most of the issues came from when we did so Joe might have been the culprit but still a better game for us.

In relation to Mack and his amount of touches I'm right there with you. I think he got the right amount today. 8-10 is pretty good mark for him. I wouldn't mind a couple throws to him and I think we tried to set up a screen to him but it got blown up and Jacoby just ended up tossing it away on the sideline so we are trying to work him in. I hope he is ok as he was grabbing that arm and shoulder at the end. His speed was evident in watching him live and he does a great job setting up defenders on his runs. I'll be honest...his running style reminds me a lot of Reggie Bush....and while he can't be that three down bell cow he can definitely be effective given the right opportunities and some good line play.

18 hours ago, Superman said:

He got the perfect amount of touches today. I thought it was mostly a good mix of all three backs. I could see giving Mack more and more reps as time goes on, but he's been out of the lineup and he is known to fumble from time to time. Keep mixing him in for now, but there will be a game at some point where he gets 20+ touches.

Also worth pointing out that every single impact run he's had he's bounced outside. It's very hard to be a feature back doing that and never getting anything running between the tackles. Whether he gets to 20+ touches will depend on just how much we will be able to involve him in the passing/sweeps/trick plays game. Unless he starts running between the tackles, of course.

Mack needs to prove he can handle the workload of 5-9 touches a game without getting hurt before he starts to get more touches.  His speed is nice and he had a solid game but it's not like he did anything spectacular... he used his speed in the open field, he didn't break tackles or create for himself, he took advantage of open field and misdirection.  Which is what the change of pace back is supposed to do.

5 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Mack needs to prove he can handle the workload of 5-9 touches a game without getting hurt before he starts to get more touches.  His speed is nice and he had a solid game but it's not like he did anything spectacular... he used his speed in the open field, he didn't break tackles or create for himself, he took advantage of open field and misdirection.  Which is what the change of pace back is supposed to do.

I didn't realize, but he actually only got 17 snaps, which is less than I thought. Definitely being conservative with his workload right now. 

Plus, he has to learn to pass protect before he can stay on the field more.

23 minutes ago, stitches said:

Also worth pointing out that every single impact run he's had he's bounced outside. It's very hard to be a feature back doing that and never getting anything running between the tackles. Whether he gets to 20+ touches will depend on just how much we will be able to involve him in the passing/sweeps/trick plays game. Unless he starts running between the tackles, of course.

Lesean Mcoy built a whole career off of running outside the tackles.   It's a mute point to me anyway because we've already seen Mack run between the tackles before.  The times it hasn't been successful doesn't mean he can't do it.  Most of them that didn't work they didn't even block the run well to begin with. Until yesterday he hadn't even gotten very many carries.

8 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

As for the comments on the o-line, i've not heard anything about Good's rehab.  I understood he wouldn't be out the entire season and he was playing tackle quite well before his injury.  As well as he sets an edge in the run game, Mack making those plays off Good's run blocks could very well spell even better performances.  

But for Mack to have those type of plays, He cannot be our top back.  A commitee back yes. splitting reps with Gore is the way to go.  Mack will not beat you up and make you worn down like Gore can do.  Running QB option plays with Gore and and Mack on the field together seems like such a logical choice to me. Either feeding Gore inside, or keeping it and pitching to Mack on a stretch play.  If the front seven doesn't commit to Gore for fear of Mack's big play ability, Gore will pound it inside for 5-10 yards if there is not 7+ defenders committed to him.   And if they do commit, a pitch to Mack would spell disaster for them.

When has that ever happened?

32 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yep. TRich was a feature back with plenty of speed. He kept it between the tackles and look where that got him.

I'm only half way serious of course, but if the offensive linemen can't create a hole between the tackles like they are supposed to be doing, do you take the yard and a half or do you take a chance bouncing it outside. In previous games Mack was hit before he got to the line of scrimmage numerous times and it wasn't because the handoff was mishandled or because he is slow. Our interior line just isn't getting the job done much of the time. Yes, Gore has an uncanny knack for getting skinny and getting 3 yards but that isn't going to win you games in today's NFL.

BTW, even though conventional wisdom back in the day was that if it's goal to go at the one yard line you run between the tackles, the Colts begged to differ when they had Curtis Dickey.

I never saw it stopped. It was awesome. They gave it to Dickey and he ran to the pylon. I never saw it stopped for a TD even though opposing defenses knew that was the Colts' goal line play.

Net, sometimes conventional wisdom is over played.

33 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

When has that ever happened?

Perhaps if you watch games, you'd see it.  When an o-line actually does it's job and holds it's own, Gore gets to the second level through power running.  The problem is our o-line often times cannot hold it's own and Gore is left fighting like a tank for2-3 yards.  Seems a lot of people see this and think Gore is a useless back, but in reality, most other backs would be stopped at, (if not behind) the line in the exact same situation. 

The power running style of Gore wears down a defense, makes then vulnerable to outside speedsters like Mack.  I seriously doubt Mack has the day he had without Gore punnishing of the front 7.  

Oh, and watch NFL rewind.  Gore has quite a bit of 7-15 yard runs already this season.  His average takes hits on the plays where the o-line breaks down and Gore is met in the backfield by multiple defenders.

6 hours ago, WERC82 said:

There is no reason to run most of your plays between the tackles until you have a healthy and cohesive offensive line. Edgerrin did most of his damage outside the tackles and as a passing threat. Also, Gore is not showing he has the ability anymore to beat someone in space after crossing the line of scrimmage the way Mack has.

I agree, Gore's not showing that burst any more. But he's reliable. And Mack is not showing the ability to block for Brissett the way Gore does neither. We need passprot at least as much as we need burst in our backfield.

Gore had 14, Mack had 9 carries last night. That's a fair share to me between a feature back and change of pace guy like Mack. He had a very nice game .... thanks partialy to the Niners (they've just given up holding the edges and stuck to it for whatever reason). But don't pretend the first 2 games never happened, where he showed zero efficiency outside, when opponent defenses actually held the edges. He had one nice carry, and that's all, the rest was nothing.

Let's hope he builds on last night's performance and shows he can do it consistently, week in, week out. Then, we can move forward.