Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This is Marlon Macks world

RockThatBlue

1 minute ago, Superman said:

He got the perfect amount of touches today. I thought it was mostly a good mix of all three backs. I could see giving Mack more and more reps as time goes on, but he's been out of the lineup and he is known to fumble from time to time. Keep mixing him in for now, but there will be a game at some point where he gets 20+ touches.

Fumble from time to time? hes only fumbled once this season. Gore had two today

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Fumble from time to time? hes only fumbled once this season. Gore had two today

It's almost like I'm talking about more than just his 30 NFL touches...

He had 12 fumbles in college, one in every 54 touches. It's a known concern with him.

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

Don't understand why it took this many games for the staff to give him designed outside running plays.

Uhm... without opening a :worms: 

I can answer that question, but we have enough threads on that topic.

A good OC could create one hell of a weekly package with a player like Mack.  He could become a nightmare for teams to gameplan for.  

Further, imagine if we had a top-notch O-line that created gaping holes for someone with his skillset.

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

He got the perfect amount of touches today. I thought it was mostly a good mix of all three backs. I could see giving Mack more and more reps as time goes on, but he's been out of the lineup and he is known to fumble from time to time. Keep mixing him in for now, but there will be a game at some point where he gets 20+ touches.

I politely disagree.  

We can't keep the ball out of a playmaker's hands.  If he is going to be a fumbler let him fumble and move on from him if he is not able to correct it.  Why let him stand on the sideline and "worry about if he fumbles" the next touch.

He was in a groove and I think they should have kept it going.  It really doesn't matter that we kept Mack from fumbling because JB ended up throwing INT in OT anyway.  

I would rather lose being aggressive.  Keep giving Mack the ball.  If he ends up being a liability move on from him.  This is the best year to figure that out.

13 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I politely disagree.  

We can't keep the ball out of a playmaker's hands.  If he is going to be a fumbler let him fumble and move on from him if he is not able to correct it.  Why let him stand on the sideline and "worry about if he fumbles" the next touch.

He was in a groove and I think they should have kept it going.  It really doesn't matter that we kept Mack from fumbling because JB ended up throwing INT in OT anyway.  

I would rather lose being aggressive.  Keep giving Mack the ball.  If he ends up being a liability move on from him.  This is the best year to figure that out.

I agree that we know how early we need to draft rb in next years draft.

15 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I agree that we know how early we need to draft rb in next years draft.

I don't know bro..... I think it is important to fix this incredibly dysfunctional offensive line first.  Ryan looked really good today and some of the others played good off and on, but without a good OL, it doesn't matter if you put Walter Payton behind them.

29 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I don't know bro..... I think it is important to fix this incredibly dysfunctional offensive line first.  Ryan looked really good today and some of the others played good off and on, but without a good OL, it doesn't matter if you put Walter Payton behind them.

I agree but what Im saying is if mack isnt the guy you have to go rb in first or second. If he is then you go rb in 4th get oline pass rusher and ilb

1 hour ago, BR-549 said:

The o line was pretty good today

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Better than it has been, but I saw plenty of them get beat with bad steps or poor stance etc.  They are not good by any stretch.  

Even Freddy Keiaho would be able to shed the blocks I saw today for the most part :) 

4 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Better than it has been, but I saw plenty of them get beat with bad steps or poor stance etc.  They are not good by any stretch.  

Even Freddy Keiaho would be able to shed the blocks I saw today for the most part :) 

I don't think so.   Lol

2 hours ago, BR-549 said:

I politely disagree.  

I'm not scared of him fumbling. But it does make sense to keep him as part of a committee as he comes on. It's already been mentioned, but a big part of the success that comes to a change of pace back has to do with the backs who set the initial pace. 

I'm all about giving him the ball. He's the kind of back I've been hoping we'd add for four years. But I don't think he's ready to be the lead back, yet. 

And the conclusion that because Brissett threw a pick that it wouldn't have mattered if Mack fumbled strains logic. 

24 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Joe Haeg got whipped repeatedly, and Vujnovich makes too many mistakes (that missed block on the screen play probably cost points). I'm not that pleased with the play of the OL, but I was distracted during the game and I haven't rewatched yet.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not scared of him fumbling. But it does make sense to keep him as part of a committee as he comes on. It's already been mentioned, but a big part of the success that comes to a change of pace back has to do with the backs who set the initial pace. 

I'm all about giving him the ball. He's the kind of back I've been hoping we'd add for four years. But I don't think he's ready to be the lead back, yet. 

And the conclusion that because Brissett threw a pick that it wouldn't have mattered if Mack fumbled strains logic

No not really, a turnover is a turnover.  My only point there is that it happens.  Whether Mack, or Brissett or Gore... whoever.  Its unpredictable and if you are concerned that Mack is going to fumble then why do we have him?

I know he isn't the lead back but he was being productive and to dismiss that in favor of preventing him from fumbling is what I would consider straining logic.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Joe Haeg got whipped repeatedly, and Vujnovich makes too many mistakes (that missed block on the screen play probably cost points). I'm not that pleased with the play of the OL, but I was distracted during the game and I haven't rewatched yet.

I didn't say they were great,   but they weren't terrible.   I think the lack of running success has a lot to do with not checking out of a run into 8 or 9 in the box.   That have to give JB the ability to audible

3 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

No not really, a turnover is a turnover.  My only point there is that it happens.  Whether Mack, or Brissett or Gore... whoever.  Its unpredictable and if you are concerned that Mack is going to fumble then why do we have him?

I know he isn't the lead back but he was being productive and to dismiss that in favor of preventing him from fumbling is what I would consider straining logic.

First, just because one player turned the ball over doesn't mean you dismiss any concerns with another player's ball security issues. It's also kind of naive to ignore that a young RB who had fumble issues in college would be somewhat limited. When he's on the sideline, he's getting coaching, and a big part of that should be related to ball security. 

Second, I'm not being dismissive of Mack's production at all. I'm saying I think part of his being so productive has to do with the way he was used -- as a change back, not a lead back. I've been very critical of Chud's offense (and Pep's, and Arians'), but the mix at RB today was just right, IMO. 

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I didn't say they were great,   but they weren't terrible.   I think the lack of running success has a lot to do with not checking out of a run into 8 or 9 in the box.   That have to give JB the ability to audible

I didn't have big issues with the traditional run blocking, more the pass protection and blocking in space.

And yes, JB is still limited, and I think it's a big part of some of the offensive dry spells. It's only been five weeks. I personally lose sight of that because he's done such a good job making plays, but there are still clear issues.

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

I didn't have big issues with the traditional run blocking, more the pass protection and blocking in space.

And yes, JB is still limited, and I think it's a big part of some of the offensive dry spells. It's only been five weeks. I personally lose sight of that because he's done such a good job making plays, but there are still clear issues.

I'm out of likes but I agree with everything here especially JB.

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am on record saying I wanted Hunt but Mack may be the real deal.

Hunt was my favorite RB and I wasn't the biggest fan of Mack's, but he's been an amazing surprise and I have no problem saying that I was wrong.

Im glad he is producing. Seems to be boom or bust on plays. Either a first down or line of scrimmage. I think we will still be in the market for a bell cow type back this offseason. Wouldnt mind another fourth rounder (or around that area).

57 minutes ago, krunk said:

It really sucks for us that Haeg and Clark are not farther along in their development. There's still time but right now its an annoying reality

We have to hold on till Good is back at RT.  Mack deserves more PT and a few balls thrown his way as well.  Next week we get Doyle, Hairston and probably Wilson back.  Tenn. is definitely winnable as long as Brissett doesn't lose it.  He almost lost this one today.  He is really a rookie on a new team.  But he's hanging in there.