Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Timeout, again.

ColtsLegacy

Yeah it was a tough win but that D needs a monumental amount of work on the pass defense aspect of it.  They can also go a couple series without hardly generating any pressure.  Starting to doubt Monachino as Manusky seemed to do more with less, heck they generated more pressure with Bjorne Werner in there lol.

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I'm more irritated by the D at the end of the half, and the prevent once we were up by two scores.

Absolutely. There's so much wrong with what happened in this game. I'm happy we won but there are just too many stupid mistakes week in and week out.

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Pagano is the master of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Luckily the 49ers we're too bad to overcome today.

I’m tired of this wanna be defensive guru.  This is my impression of him

“let’s do this game plan.  No,  wait they will be expecting that.  Wait!  They will want me to do that!  But again we should go back to the original plan!  You know what...no game plan,  they’ll never know what hit’em...or not hit them.  Try to get up by 2 scores then we play extremely conservative with 43 minutes left in the 4th.  This is going to be great...or not”

43 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Have the ability to stop the clock with just over a minute before the 4th down. But no, let the clock run down to 24 seconds.

Every damn week. Unbelievable.

Incredible decision. I guess Pagano would say he opted against Brisset facing the pressure of moving the ball with 50 seconds left in the game ? I thought it was a really cowardly decision to let the clock wind down. I'd love to hear him explain the no timeout when 2 plays before he declined a 10 second run off against SF ? Changed his mind ?

3 minutes ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

If Ballard didn't trade for Jacoby, then the Colts would be winless right now.

He threw the pick, yes, but for a backup coming into this situation, he's done as well as could be expected.   With Tolzien, the season is over.

22 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I'm more irritated by the D at the end of the half, and the prevent once we were up by two scores.

It's disturbing.  We turned over nearly the entire defense, yet it's still the worst defense in the league. 

Once in 20 years you couldn't, by accident, hit on a handful of players and have a respectable defense?  It's uncanny.  We're not allowed to have a defense.

47 minutes ago, #12. said:

It's disturbing.  We turned over nearly the entire defense, yet it's still the worst defense in the league. 

Once in 20 years you couldn't, by accident, hit on a handful of players and have a respectable defense?  It's uncanny.  We're not allowed to have a defense.

I don't think we have all bad players on D.  The D backfield is young and promising.  The D line plays pretty well.  Simon and Sheard are good.  Bostic should NOT be on the field in any passing situation.

My problem is the defensive play calling.  I can't specifically put is all on the coaches, I think there's a lot of mis-reads.

But either way, to go to a lazy prevent zone when there's almost a full quarter of football and you're only up by two scores, that's on the coaches.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I don't think we have all bad players on D.  The D backfield is young and promising.  The D line plays pretty well.  Simon and Sheard are good.  Bostic should NOT be on the field in any passing situation.

My problem is the defensive play calling.  I can't specifically put is all on the coaches, I think there's a lot of mis-reads.

But either way, to go to a lazy prevent zone when there's almost a full quarter of football and you're only up by two scores, that's on the coaches.

We have the worst group of ILB in the league Bostoc 37.4 and Morrison 39.6 is what PFF had them rated today. They gave up

10 catches for almost 100 yards and the TD. They stink and can't have a very good D with those 2 at ILB. 

Yeah and Munch is not much of a D coordinator. 

5 hours ago, il vecchio said:

5 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Have the ability to stop the clock with just over a minute before the 4th down. But no, let the clock run down to 24 seconds.

5 hours ago, il vecchio said:

I couldn't believe that.

5 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Absolutely. There's so much wrong with what happened in this game. I'm happy we won but there are just too many stupid mistakes week in and week out.

I broke every rule of fan decorum watching the colts urinate away a chance to win this game in regulation.

With 1:50 or so remaining, the 49ers have a first and goal situation trying to tie the game.  They are only going to get 4 plays.  They have 2 or 3 (can't remember exactly)  time-outs remaining.  The 49ers have plenty of time to score.  It's virtually impossible to get the 49ers to run out the clock on themselves.

So, Chuck has 2 TOs himself.  What does a smart, confident head coach do?  He uses his 2 TOs as needed to ensure his team has over a minute to mount a game winning drive IF the 49ers score.

Would it have worked?  Who knows.  But you own the best FG kicker who ever lived (maybe an exaggeration, but not by much...he did have two 52 yard FG's today).  Be agressive and TRY TO WIN THE GAME instead of trying not to lose it.  Why leave it up to the a coin flip and a defense who just had all the momentum sucked out of it?

Yes, things worked out and the Colts won today (on a 52 yard FG) in OT, but this lack of agression will lose more games than it will win.

End of rant.

33 minutes ago, GhostofJohnnyU said:

I broke every rule of fan decorum watching the colts urinate away a chance to win this game in regulation.

With 1:50 or so remaining, the 49ers have a first and goal situation trying to tie the game.  They are only going to get 4 plays.  They have 2 or 3 (can't remember exactly)  time-outs remaining.  The 49ers have plenty of time to score.  It's virtually impossible to get the 49ers to run out the clock on themselves.

So, Chuck has 2 TOs himself.  What does a smart, confident head coach do?  He uses his 2 TOs as needed to ensure his team has over a minute to mount a game winning drive IF the 49ers score.

Would it have worked?  Who knows.  But you own the best FG kicker who ever lived (maybe an exaggeration, but not by much...he did have two 52 yard FG's today).  Be agressive and TRY TO WIN THE GAME instead of trying not to lose it.  Why leave it up to the a coin flip and a defense who just had all the momentum sucked out of it?

Yes, things worked out and the Colts won today (on a 52 yard FG) in OT, but this lack of agression will lose more games than it will win.

End of rant.

That’s the problem without Luck Pagano plays not to lose.  

4 hours ago, Bleedin Blue said:

That's just a roll of the dice.  There have been at least a couple times where this has worked.  You win some, you lose some.

I will admit I am bias here as I don’t like the idea of waiting to the last second to call a timeout in field goals to start with.  

As the announcer pointed out you had a confident experienced kicker calling the timeout just gives him a practice kick and slows things down to let him gather himself before he kicks.  He saw what he did wrong on the first kick and corrected it.  If you want to take a timeout to ice him fine but do it before he kicks IMO.

7 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Prevent me from winning defense.

The thing with the prevent is that it’s supposed to prevent big plays the Colts don’t.  They still give up big plays so you might as well stick with what you have been calling and maybe get to the QB.  Way too often WRs are running wide open when the Colts are supposed to be preventing the big play.

On 10/8/2017 at 3:09 PM, ColtsLegacy said:

You think Pagano should have called a timeout after the 3rd and 8 play that gained 3 yards and made it 4th and 5?

17 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The thing with the prevent is that it’s supposed to prevent big plays the Colts don’t.  They still give up big plays so you might as well stick with what you have been calling and maybe get to the QB.  Way too often WRs are running wide open when the Colts are supposed to be preventing the big play.

That is not accurate, the prevent D is supposed to prevent a TD. 

Teams, including the Colts, use it wrong all the time.  It should only be used on the last play of the game when there is 40 or more yards to the endzone.  Or the last two plays of a game if there is 60 or more yards to go.

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That is not accurate, the prevent D is supposed to prevent a TD. 

Teams, including the Colts, use it wrong all the time.  It should only be used on the last play of the game when there is 40 or more yards to the endzone.  Or the last two plays of a game if there is 60 or more yards to go.

And kill time on the clock...

On 2017. 10. 08. at 10:09 PM, ColtsLegacy said:

Just a quick note here (I wrote a longer post about in in the other thread): If Pagano calls timeout at about a minute left, deduct the time the next play, XP and kickoff, and the Colts would've had cca. 50 seconds to win the game.

Do you know how many coaches/teams tried to win a game when it was a tie and 50 seconds or less were on the clock in the last two decades? Zero.

Now, let's rethink what's unbelievable. :)

On 10/8/2017 at 3:56 PM, dw49 said:

Incredible decision. I guess Pagano would say he opted against Brisset facing the pressure of moving the ball with 50 seconds left in the game ? I thought it was a really cowardly decision to let the clock wind down. I'd love to hear him explain the no timeout when 2 plays before he declined a 10 second run off against SF ? Changed his mind ?

That was the mistake, declining the 10 second run off.  When you have the lead you want the other team to have as little time as possible.  Time creates more pressure than the best defenses ever could

6 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That was the mistake, declining the 10 second run off.  When you have the lead you want the other team to have as little time as possible.  Time creates more pressure than the best defenses ever could

I don't think time was a big issue there. Ten seconds wasn't really impacting their play calling or the outcome, IMO. It's goal to go, already 2nd down, with over a minute on the clock, and they had a time out. Downs were more critical than time, IMO.

But if you're NOT going to take the 10 second run off, then you should be conserving time for your following possession, right? Then why not call the timeout on 4th down? Then you get the ball back without about a minute left and a timeout, and maybe you can try to make something happen at the end of the 4th quarter. Pagano was stuck between two opposing strategies, and prevented himself from taking advantage of either of them. I don't think either decision helped the Niners, but they kind of killed any chance for the Colts to score at the end of the 4th.

On 10/8/2017 at 4:03 PM, GoColts8818 said:

Not to mention the timeout at the end of the half when Gould missed and gave him a second chance and he drilled it. 

I went into Ralphie mode when we called that clever time out at the end of the first half. 

ChristmasStory_102Pyxurz.jpg

Sometimes with these timeouts, I just have to picture Chuck saying something like, “I think I got this one. Hold my beer”.