Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

LIVE thread: Peyton Manning statue unveiling

MTC

1 hour ago, Gramz said:

We saw Peyton before the game out by the statue.  When I get home I will attempt to upload a few of those photos from my camera.  It was very gracious of him to spend so much time with the fans.  Yes, lots of empty seats after the half, but it was pretty full to capacity up until then.  Obviously most were there to see him 

We were able to get fairly close to see Peyton (as close as the security would allow lol) and we got a few pictures of him near the statue etc. Yeah I believe a lot of people were there for Peyton...which might have been why so many left after the half time show. We could really used the cheering as I didn't think the crowd got very loud (at least compared to past games the last several years I've been there). Most people in my section seemed disinterested and were watching other games on their phones or chatting about what happened at the bar or which friend was dating someone etc. The guys in the row in front of us spent more time going to get beers then they spent watching the game...literally I think they all at least spent close to $75 a piece on beer and of course all the rest room breaks necessary from it. I felt horrible for the older lady and husband who had season tickets and said this is what its like every week they said. Why even go to the game I guess...the guy next to me was very knowledgeable I will say and we had some nice short conversations. Overall I guess I just haven't been before where most of the people weren't into the game. I imagine if I was able to attend regularly and have my seats I could get into a better section. My wife thought most the people were pretty obnoxious...including the guy that was yelling "Fire Chuck" and other comments about Chuck the whole game (granted there was a couple calls the coaches made that didn't help). The funniest part were the young socialites that were like next year we are going to try to move to x section...they have better chairs and you meet a lot of people and yet they weren't cheering paying attention or anything. (Actually it kinda reminded me of a church I once attended lol) Oh well...guess you go to enough games you will get a dud from time to time. The way the team is playing combined with the factor we were honoring Peyton and you had a lot of casuals there I guess its to be expected. Overall the experiences each year have been really good..so I shouldn't complain but when you can only travel in for a game or two a year its a bummer. I was hoping the weather would have held off and we could have the roof open as I normally come to a game closer to the holidays but at least the window was open.

P.S. The anthem singers did a great job....I kinda like having the big flag and the eagle flying etc. This one was a little low key but it was a nice anthem none the less beautifully sung. Kinda sorry the negativity that resulted around that etc but its a part I look forward to every game and they didn't disappoint.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@dgambill the anthem was awesome.

I have sat in sections like you described. It's very annoying. I will say our section was very much into the game, but then again, we were 4 rows up from the field, right next to the tunnel, great seats, great security  (would not let anyone without a ticket to come in our section from noon on.)  We had a great view, and none of the nonsense you referred to.  Thankfully. 

12 minutes ago, IinD said:

Fans have nothing to cheer about sometimes. That game yesterday was brutal through about 3 quarters. 

I can't blame people for zoning out during boring football.

Yep...it was rough....and don't get me wrong I don't go to a lot of Colts game because of where I live...perhaps the normalness of going every week and watching these boring performances week in and out would affect my thoughts...but I feel like attending a game is interactive...as opposed to sitting at home watching. Both are perfectly fine...but why go if your not going to interact I guess. Meh...its a one off I suppose...but I saw more of that even with people leaving the game early than I've ever seen in the past. I'm not dumb I understand the quality of the product on the field will have a huge influence on the fan experience but I just wonder if we go through a long dry spell if we will see the Colts go back to the old days...poor attendance and blackouts...if the wave of fans that Peyton brought us will last or will things go back to before it was a football town.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep...it was rough....and don't get me wrong I don't go to a lot of Colts game because of where I live...perhaps the normalness of going every week and watching these boring performances week in and out would affect my thoughts...but I feel like attending a game is interactive...as opposed to sitting at home watching. Both are perfectly fine...but why go if your not going to interact I guess. Meh...its a one off I suppose...but I saw more of that even with people leaving the game early than I've ever seen in the past. I'm not dumb I understand the quality of the product on the field will have a huge influence on the fan experience but I just wonder if we go through a long dry spell if we will see the Colts go back to the old days...poor attendance and blackouts...if the wave of fans that Peyton brought us will last or will things go back to before it was a football town.

I don't think that LOS will ever go back to being a museum (if u get my drift, huge, open and quiet), but the team is bad. Regardless of how anyone wants to paint it. 

I was there for the Cle game and there were definitely dead times throughout the game when we weren't doing anything in the second half.

I think just being at the game is cool in general. It's why I go to anything local around me. I do one or two Penn State, Delaware, Temple, Princeton games a year just for the vibe.

Bad football keeps fans bored honestly.

Just now, Nadine said:

@dgambill Funny you should say that the crowd wasn't into it.  They sounded pretty loud on the tv.

I was watching with my hands over my eyes because I was getting upset.

I saw tons of empty seats especially in the prime 35-35 yard line on the lower levels after half time that never came back. We did alright when we had them backed up to the goal line a couple times but otherwise it was a noticeable disconnect to me between the fans and game...of course those cameras etc are set up to pick up sound (hits, qb calls etc) more so and I think are more sensitive....but I wasn't on the field...just my experience from different game...even the decibel level things on the scoreboard we never came close to getting into the red or anything like it has in the past...but I fully understand that the experience is always different from section to section and game to game.

On 10/8/2017 at 4:00 AM, ReMeDy said:

But considering it was made by a local firefighter, I'd say it's pretty good.  :thmup:

That's my neighbor Ryan Feeney. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure Peyton called him Ryan Freeney by mistake.

I was able to see the different phases of this project unfold over the last two years. There is a lot of work that goes into making something like this.

• 2 weeks later...
On October 7, 2017 at 8:12 PM, jvan1973 said:

What everyone said today is true.   Downtown Indy was a terrible place 20 years ago.      The manning  led colts did change that.   Like Letterman said,   Indy was like a minimum security  prison with a race track.     It wasn't a destination for anyone.    Look  at it now.   Obviously peyton didn't do that on his own,   but without him it doesn't happen

Since I don't live in Indianapolis, I can't really speak with any concrete authority on what the Hoosier State was really truly like before #18's arrival. However, I do have relatives that have lived in INDY their whole lives & they more or less confirmed exactly what you said Jvan. I really liked Letterman's remarks & Peyton deserves all the praise & future HOF accolades he is destined to receive in Canton as well.