Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Before SF, some thoughts about this past week.....

NewColtsFan

Some interesting news and notes to share......   sorry I didn't do it earlier in the week....

Perhaps surprisingly,  two colts made PFF's All-NFL team for the first quarter of the season.     Rashaad Melvin and the punter, Robert Sanchez.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Two-Colts-Recognized-On-Pro-Football-Focus’-‘First-Quarter-All-Pro-Team’/bf36aa3d-a5ce-45a4-bce8-3f9d579ee523

And here are some expanded PFF grades for the Seattle game.       Cutting and pasting....

IND-Colts-Header.png

TOP 5 GRADES:

S Matthias Farley, 89.0 overall grade

CB Rashaan Melvin, 88.9 overall grade

EDGE Jabaal Sheard, 84.9 overall grade

DI Al Woods, 79.6 overall grade

LB Jon Bostic, 77.1 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:

WR DONTE MONCRIEF, 75.7 OVERALL GRADE

The Colts’ offense struggled as a whole, with few positive performances to speak of. Moncrief had a decent outing, catching three passes for 30 yards, including one touchdown, all of which came against Seattle CB Shaquill Griffin. His 97.1 wide receiver rating was the highest of the game for the Colts.

QB JACOBY BRISSETT, 45.0 OVERALL GRADE

This was easily Brissett’s worst performance this year. While the offensive line didn’t make his job any easier, allowing Brissett to be pressured on 52.4 percent of his dropbacks, some of it still falls on Brissett. He was able to complete just 5-of-13 passes when under pressure. When kept clean, Brissett fared somewhat better, with an 87.5 adjusted completion percentage after accounting for three drops. However, his dreadful pick-six came without pressure, as it was just the result of just a very poor decision.

EDGE JABAAL SHEARD, 84.9 OVERALL GRADE

Sheard was the one defender who got consistent pass-rush on Wilson. Sheard had one sack and five hurries more than the rest of Colts defense put together. But Sheard’s biggest strength on the night was in the run game, where he recorded five stops, as he was too strong on the edge for the Seahawks tackles.

CB RASHAAN MELVIN, 88.9 OVERALL GRADE

One of the most impressive players for this Colts defense through four games this season has been cornerback Rashaan Melvin. Against the Seahawks, Melvin was again a force, even though he allowed four catches on five targets, he only allowed 28 yards for an average of 5.6 yards per target. On top of that he had a pass defensed on his other target and was able to knock down another pass where he was not in primary coverage.

And, finally,   there was a brief rash of comments and questions in a thread that quickly got closed.    I'm sure there was more discussion in the game day thread.     But the question was...........   why did Chuck Pagano go for two points early in the game?   The answer was simple (and no, it's not because he's stupid)    it's because that's what the 2-point conversion chart that NFL coaches use calls for.    Down by 2,  go for two.    Here is the chart.     It's not hard to find on-line.

http://theredzone.org/Features/TwoPointConversionChart

Good thread.  Thank you.  :scoregood:  Seattle will probably be our toughest game of the year, too, so hopefully things steadily get better the rest of the season.

Things may not be going as well as we would like, especially on offense, but this shows that things obviously aren't as bad as some are making it out to be.  Chuck is doing pretty well considering how hot his seat probably is.

This defense is much better than last year, and I admit that they're exceeding my expectations.  :thmup:

5 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i didnt like the call to go for two

the cheat sheets dont take into account the state of your own team and the match up.  like our young QB and line that cant protect or run block.  plus it was against a good defense

Good post...    Fair arguments -- all of them.      My point for bringing it up was simply to note that there was a good reason to go for two.    It's not like there was no reason.    It's not a head scratcher.

But you bring up reasonable arguments for the other side.     Appreciate it.

Here is what I am seeing so far:

the secondary has has been much better than anyone expected. 

Hooker looks to be a really good player

Woods and Sheard are doing what they were brought here to do.

Simon was a steal

Brissett has the potential to be a long term backup for Luck

Doyle and Moncrief have disappointed most of the season so far.

hankins hasn’t been much of a factor

the Colts still have real issues on the right side of the line.

it might be time to look for a new left tackle and maybe move AC to right tackle 

Rigo is going to be a good punter.

Adam has shaken off his early season struggles 

it’s a shame Bond got hurt he really played well for an undrafted rookie thrust into that spot.

the coaching is still suspect at Best.

all and all I think this team has more talent than last years team but it’s still very dependent on Luck.  

Well, we have gotten younger and it shows. A lot of growing pains to field a team that can be relevant but from the looks of the rest of the NFL most of the teams are still struggling  to find their identity too so I guess only time will tell if we will be one of the haves or have not's down the road.