Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the Colts be in new division???

Coltsfan50

26 minutes ago, bradgt04 said:

AFC South is a Frankenstein division.  Never understood why we didn’t get put in the north or left alone in the east

I remember someone saying in an interview when the realignment happened that the reason the Colts were placed in the South was because Peyton would be going back to Tennesse once a year - where he was/is basically a legend and that would create some sort of rivalry. I have since tried to look that interview up and have had zero luck in finding it.

I just remember thinking how ridiculous that was due to the obvious fact that Peyton would be retired eventually and we'd be stuck in a division with fairly weak to nonexistent rivalries. 

Glad I was wrong... //sarcasm

14 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Realignment done in 2002 was handled to protect many of the existing rivalries throughout the league.

Nice sentiment but never going to happen as the AFC North has too many of those rivalries.

And Dallas will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever ever, ever, ever, ever agree to move out of the NFC East with Philly, Washington, and New York.  On top of that, the league would not want them to move.

In short - ain't happening.

Hockey made realignments to help travel and it didn't hurt long time rivalries, like the Red Wings and Blackhawks.   But, I think since the schedule is less hectic than other sports, I don't see it happening.  Especially since they may put a team in London, which is just going to screw everything up.   

9 hours ago, Corndog said:

Hockey made realignments to help travel and it didn't hurt long time rivalries, like the Red Wings and Blackhawks.   But, I think since the schedule is less hectic than other sports, I don't see it happening.  Especially since they may put a team in London, which is just going to screw everything up.   

It is an apples and oranges comparison.  NHL still plays a round robin schedule that includes playing every team in the league.  That would not be the case in the NFL and league most definitely wants the Cowboys vs. Giants, Skins, and Eagles twice a season.