Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cam Newton - Sexist

DaveA1102

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

When I first signed up here, no one knew I was a woman. I would chat with many folks here and they thought I was a man. Right, @dgambill ? haha No one questioned my "football knowledge". 

There is a guy who posted this story online about his similar experience.  He worked IT for a small firm and he and his female co-worker dealt with clients online through email and chats.  His female co-worker always had to take a lot longer with each client and her customer satisfaction was not as good as his.  She tried to explain that it wasn't as bad as it looked, she was just as good at her job as he was, but the customers treated her differently.

He didn't understand what she was talking about until she went on vacation and he had to cover for her and deal with her clients while she was gone.  Nothing changed except that now when he was dealing with her clients, it was under her name, and her clients still thought they were communicating with her.  He did everything he always did, except her clients treated him with outright disrespect and sexism.  It took him forever to convince the client that he knew what he was talking about.  The client would ask to speak to a man, and when he informed the client that he was a man just filling in for his female co-worker while she was on vacation, the clients' attitude completely changed.  They were more respectful, didn't question his knowledge or ask to speak to someone else.

It really opened his eyes.  People will treat a woman differently than they will treat a man, and it is something most women have to deal with in their professional lives every day.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth to everyone...

I'm a straight white man, and I've said insensitive stuff in my past.  Straight white men rarely get offended, so it doesn't always register with us what does and does not offend other people.  I could have been called sexist, racist, homophobic and other things for stuff I joked about as a young man.

But luckily, the people in my life, my mom, sister, gay friends, black friends, everyone "checked" me once or twice to let me know that I was being insensitive or outright offensive.  They weren't being PC, they were just trying to be treated with the same respect that straight white men give to each other.

Just because you don't think it's offensive, doesn't mean it isn't offensive to other people.  I can testify that both disrespect and respect are LEARNED behaviors, we're not born with either.  Let's all try to be more respectful.  (Especially you @Nostrils that shot at @Nadine was uncalled for.)

:hat:

26 minutes ago, GoPats said:

This is why you're the best, even if we disagree three hours at a time on Sundays. :thmup:

:hug:   Actually,  I think we're probably always on the same page, unless the Pats or Colts are playing.  :P    It's that friendly little rivalry some of us can't seem to let go of.  haha

4 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Just because you don't think it's offensive, doesn't mean it isn't offensive to other people.  I can testify that both disrespect and respect are LEARNED behaviors, we're not born with either.  Let's all try to be more respectful.  (Especially you @Nostrils that shot at @Nadine was uncalled for.)

:agree:     

8 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'm a straight white man, and I've said insensitive stuff in my past.  Straight white men rarely get offended, so it doesn't always register with us what does and does not offend other people.  I could have been called sexist, racist, homophobic and other things for stuff I joked about as a young man.

But luckily, the people in my life, my mom, sister, gay friends, black friends, everyone "checked" me once or twice to let me know that I was being insensitive or outright offensive.  They weren't being PC, they were just trying to be treated with the same respect that straight white men give to each other.

I concur as OLD MAN would say lmao 

6 minutes ago, Gramz said:

:hug:   Actually,  I think we're probably always on the same page, unless the Pats or Colts are playing.  :P    It's that friendly little rivalry some of us can't seem to let go of.  haha

From 2003-2010 I think it was the best rivalry ever for an 8 year span, Peyton vs Tommy. Both those teams in that time span were powerhouses as well and at least we lasted 8 seasons. Cowboys/49ers in the 90's lasted basically 4 years.

12 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

There is a guy who posted this story online about his similar experience.  He worked IT for a small firm and he and his female co-worker dealt with clients online through email and chats.  His female co-worker always had to take a lot longer with each client and her customer satisfaction was not as good as his.  She tried to explain that it wasn't as bad as it looked, she was just as good at her job as he was, but the customers treated her differently.

He didn't understand what she was talking about until she went on vacation and he had to cover for her and deal with her clients while she was gone.  Nothing changed except that now when he was dealing with her clients, it was under her name, and her clients still thought they were communicating with her.  He did everything he always did, except her clients treated him with outright disrespect and sexism.  It took him forever to convince the client that he knew what he was talking about.  The client would ask to speak to a man, and when he informed the client that he was a man just filling in for his female co-worker while she was on vacation, the clients' attitude completely changed.  They were more respectful, didn't question his knowledge or ask to speak to someone else.

It really opened his eyes.  People will treat a woman differently than they will treat a man, and it is something most women have to deal with in their professional lives every day.

Thank you for that great example. That is unfortunate. I think many groups of people experience that type of treatment based on the group that others associate them with (gender, race, ethnicity, age, etc.). It has a lot to do with perceptions of groups.

I think we all should question why we hold certain perceptions of certain groups of people. 

23 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I nominate this for "Post of the Year". This is just great!! 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I concur, Cynjin had a great one too as well.

I have not read all the comments. There have been many great ones. We took a regrettable incident (Cam's treatment of the reporter) and used it to make all of us better people. 

9 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Because they always rib us men for not asking for directions.

I know the men-vs-women-directions joke is inherently sexist, but it's still funny, I don't care who ya are!  (granted it's about men being stubborn,  instead of women not being knowledgeable)

If Cam had actually said that, it would have been a great one-liner.  What a missed opportunity, he needs to work on his comedic timing.  :P

But he would probably still be catching flak for a sexist joke.  The NFL podium and the comedy show stage are very different things...  JMHO  :thmup:

This thread just brought an interesting thought to my mind.  I just saw a preview for that Battle of the Sexes movie (woman vs man in tennis) and I wonder if/when men and women will compete in the same leagues.  (Women in the NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB etc.)

It may be a huge assumption, but assuming that at some point in the future, a female will play in the NFL, what position will be the 1st played by a female?

There was a girl on my high school football team that played kicker (she was a soccer player), but she was big and she hit the returner on kickoffs.  So I could see a female soccer player converting to K or P in the NFL.  But there are also women that can run and catch like an NFL pro.  I could see a female WR that plays like Marvin Harrison (avoiding contact).

But who knows?  There might be a female Dick Butkus out there just waiting for her chance to line up at Middle Linebacker for the Bears and knock the tar out of the guy with the ball.  :gym:

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

This thread just brought an interesting thought to my mind.  I just saw a preview for that Battle of the Sexes movie (woman vs man in tennis) and I wonder if/when men and women will compete in the same leagues.  (Women in the NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB etc.)

It may be a huge assumption, but assuming that at some point in the future, a female will play in the NFL, what position will be the 1st played by a female?

There was a girl on my high school football team that played kicker (she was a soccer player), but she was big and she hit the returner on kickoffs.  So I could see a female soccer player converting to K or P in the NFL.  But there are also women that can run and catch like an NFL pro.  I could see a female WR that plays like Marvin Harrison (avoiding contact).

But who knows?  There might be a female Dick Butkus out there just waiting for her chance to line up at Middle Linebacker for the Bears and knock the tar out of the guy with the ball.  :gym:

I really don't want to get involved in the original topic, as I see, agree, and disagree, with most all sides expressed.

However, let me play devil's advocate here:

So, 20 years from now it's discovered that continuous hits to the abdomen can cause infertility, or miscarriages, and there's a lawsuit because ..... 'who woulda thunk it'.

I know, I know, this probably makes me a sexist. But it's really just a joke about absurdity. 

5 hours ago, NFLfan said:

haha That is definitely not me. I don't wear jerseys or sneakers/tennis shoes with player names. Looks too masculine. I may wear a cap or t-shirt to a game but that's it.

I hear you...I don't even wear jerseys or t-shirts...I might throw on a long sleeve tee once in awhile but I'm pretty low key about my fandom...but just saying these girls...they are as hardcore as any young man...heck her brother dances and does drama while she plays soccer, golf, and basketball. I have as many ladies make comments when they come into my office about my Colts collection and asking when Andrew will be back then guys...some look at the Colts helmet and ask if that was my high school team.

4 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Great post...thank you for that. It is very appropriate and I would say sums up a great deal of us men in this forum. Thus a reason why I am slow to condemn Cam the person as opposed to having no problem calling out his comments. Not everyone like you and myself have been as lucky to grow up in an environment that has taught us these values...thus a lot of what we see is just ignorance (lack of knowledge or experience dealing with these issues) as opposed to out right hatred or bigotry. Wonderful post!

8 hours ago, King Colt said:

Young punks with little education making mega millions with instant fame is a formula for this behavior. Inject this with what can only defined as stupidity you have an unmanned missile flying in to the public eye. Athletes are described/defined now per how much they make parallel or above their talent level. The term "jocks" is perfect for some of them as that is where their essence lies and it evident in high school on through professional play.  Note in Newton's apology he stated that was what he is when he said "don't be like me." Also, when men do these things to women they say "I have daughters of my own at home." So what? Most felons have children, how does that stand as an excuse or rationale? Stop buying Gatorade as it apparently is run by "jocks".

While I agree that some, players may fall into the category you describe, I think that the NFL has been on an upward trend of showcasing 'more intelligent' players than maybe it has in previous decades, or at least more players who defy the 'dumb jock' stereotype that may have unfairly befell the typical NFL player.

I read an article within the past few years (I looked for a link to it but could not find the specific article) that addressed this issue, it also focused on several linemen and defensive players who played positions not normally attributed with 'intelligence', and it was a refreshing outlook to consider, especially with the type of incidents which you have highlighted.

Everyone knows that there are some 'smart' QB's in the league; the Colts own Andrew Luck, as well as others such as Alex Smith, and Ryan Fitzpatrick are some immediate candidates. However I think there are plenty of more examples of players who, maybe surprisingly, have themselves positioned for rewarding careers after football, having studied advanced degrees while in College (as evidenced by the examples given in the article, which I regrettingly can not locate).

Anyways, while Cam may not be the poster boy for intelligence, or at least showcasing any of the smarts in which he may posses, I guess it would be nice if this aspect were showcased more, as I think there are plenty of players out of the active 1696 players on NFL rosters that could help reverse some of the 'dumb jock' stereotype that sadly comes with the territory.

Again, not necessarily disagreeing with you, just thought it was worth mentioning...

For me this thread was like a family argument.  Thanks all for letting me disagree without disowning me.

I've spent so much time with you guys, you feel like brothers and sisters.

Some really great people here with wonderful perspectives. 

:grouphug:

4 minutes ago, Nadine said:

For me this thread was like a family argument.  Thanks all for letting me disagree without disowning me.

I've spent so much time with you guys, you feel like brothers and sisters.

Some really great people here with wonderful perspectives. 

:grouphug:

Nadine, there are some things that we are so passionate about, that it is hard for us to see the "other side".   We are all guilty of this at times, depending on what the topic of conversation is.

All in all, it was a pretty good discussion here,  minus those who just can't help but sling insults.  :facepalm:  

This forum is not for the real issues of the treatment of women throughout the world and that is why it is unbelievable at this point in time in a country where you can be destroyed for saying one wrong thing that someone famous reveals in front of a world audience his views. Saudi Arabia recently passed a law allowing women to drive automobiles. In case you don't know  husband can kill his wife in public over there. A Virginia Slims cigarette motto many decades ago was "You've come a long way baby."  Yeah, right!

Last note, the sports talk shows today seem to say Newton has apologized (even though it took a long time) so let's move on. This IS the heart of the issue! Let's not move on. A Bears player just got suspended one game for a questionable hit in their last game.......so Newton gets what? A poker night out with the boys?!