Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cam Newton - Sexist

DaveA1102

3 minutes ago, Nadine said:

I think it's  a stretch to say that he had a pc reaction to the slang she used. As far as I'm aware, there are no such unwritten rules as to who may use which words when asking a football question and that she somehow violated that code.

Honestly, it's his time in the spotlight and he's being asked a softball question.  Sure he's being a jerk but in this case he specifically pointed out her gender.  I don't know how he could possibly have been more clear.

The fact that instead of thinking immediately of his team mates and what they did well and sharing that with the press.......he laughed at her for asking a football question.

It reflects very poorly on him anyway I look at it.  I don't doubt it is sexist though.  He laid it out there as such.

I can't answer the soccer analogy.

Some of this issue has to do with the idea that jocks don't like reporters who don't have enough playing cred to ask certain questions. (particularly if they lead to criticism).  Cam is one of those jocks. 

That's not a sexism issue, IMO, its an issue with the idea that a reporter has to have a certain amount of cred to talk a certain language to a player.  Talking shop.  The respect for her dwindles because he knows she's not an ex-player, not because she's female.  

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, DougDew said:

Some of this issue has to do with the idea that jocks don't like reporters who don't have enough playing cred to ask certain questions. (particularly if they lead to criticism).  Cam is one of those jocks. 

That's not a sexism issue, IMO, its an issue with the idea that a reporter has to have a certain amount of cred to talk a certain language to a player.  Talking shop.  The respect for her dwindles because he knows she's not an ex-player, not because she's female.  

Still not buying it.

He's been a pro for a while.  I can't think of a time when he's questioned another reporters cred for asking a question.  Perhaps he has?

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You want a list of names? There's not going to be data saying this group of women is horrible or another group is good, but I'll give you a few names.

Kay Adams on Good Morning Football is probably the best Woman I see. She's knowledgeable, has a great personality, enjoys what she does, and is very cute to say the least. I genuinely enjoy watching her every morning. There's Britt McHenry, who is dumb as a rock, Pam Oliver and Josina Anderson, who seem to do their job for a check, Erin Andrews, Samantha Ponder, Lindsay Rhodes, and Alex Flanigan. Mostly eye candy. Not sure what data you want, but the only two women I really enjoy watching on tv are Kay Adams on Good Morning Football, and Lauren Shahadi on MLB Network. Not saying women aren't knowledgeable, but they don't hire a lot of them that are passioniate about their job.

Dude.. Kay Adams is great. Also can I just say how much I love Caroline Cann is it just me?

20 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Sorry, still can't see how he's not a sexist.

Mostly, because you don't know him.  He has clearly said things that, by most, are considered sexist, but that doesn't make him a sexist.  There is a difference in saying sexist things and being a sexist.

13 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Mostly, because you don't know him.  He has clearly said things that, by most, are considered sexist, but that doesn't make him a sexist.  There is a difference in saying sexist things and being a sexist.

Hmm, what would he need to do to qualify for the label?

Can only people who know the true Cam discern whether or not he's a sexist?

In my  experience, sexism is usually subtle. In this case, it's not so subtle. It was in his own words in public, on television.  He is who he says he is.

sex·ist
ˈseksist/
adjective
  1. 1.
    relating to or characterized by prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.
    "his attitude to women is patronizing and sexist"
noun
  1. 1.
    a person with sexist views.
    "I want to make it clear that I'm certainly not a sexist"

I think the shoe fits pretty well.  He's walking like a duck and quacking like a duck...etc

I suppose it's possible that this is the first sexist thing that's ever come out of his mouth.  I doubt it though.

Even then, he still qualifies

23 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Or, I could agree with Dannon and call him out for 'sexist behavior'

Although, in my experience, sexist behavior tends to suggest someone is a sexist.

1 minute ago, Nadine said:

Although, in my experience, sexist behavior tends to suggest someone is a sexist.

Seems to be a lot of that going around in recent weeks.   It's like we've regressed 30 years this past year.  :sigh: 

3 hours ago, Nadine said:

Appreciate your very thoughtful post.

I don't expect all the players in the NFL have the same belief systems by race or gender or whatever.

It's just easy for me to see his comment as sexist and call him out for being a sexist. 

And I will stand right next to you and agree the comment was tasteless and sexist...and I will go as far as to say its disturbing behavior and comments that could very well lead one to believe he is sexist...but I won't go so far as to label him that....only because I don't know his heart and mind (although we seem to get a fair look at it). For sure he could learn a lot from sitting down and being educated on the harms and psychology around his comments and actions. I also think it would be fair for the same people that come out and protest the police and our country for the bias and harms they believe to be waged against them or certain groups to come out and stand up to him the same way they do these other things...or we can safely see the hypocracy in their actions. Will people take a knee when Cam is announced on the field...or when he takes the stage in the media room? Just wondering if people will stand up to his comments the same way the stand up to the flag/country.

Stupid thing to believe or say. And given Cam's personality, he deserves to get some backlash. Looks like he is going to lose some sponsorship money over this.

But what if he had said "strange" instead of "funny"? Or "refreshing"? For someone who works and speaks with predominantly men several hours each day several days per year...it might actually be strange to hear a women talk to him about things like routes. Or it might have been refreshing.

Not that I am trying to defend him at all...I just think that word "funny" plays a part. It's disrespectful and condescending. About the only thing worse would have been "cute."    

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Just wondering if people will stand up to his comments the same way the stand up to the flag/country.

I doubt it but, you never know.

I'm less unsure about what's in his heart and soul than you are. Be wonderful to learn that somehow, this is not who he is.  Not holding my breath though

9 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Stupid thing to believe or say. And given Cam's personality, he deserves to get some backlash. Looks like he is going to lose some sponsorship money over this.

But what if he had said "strange" instead of "funny"? Or "refreshing"? For someone who works and speaks with predominantly men several hours each day several days per year...it might actually be strange to hear a women talk to him about things like routes. Or it might have been refreshing.

Not that I am trying to defend him at all...I just think that word "funny" plays a part. It's disrespectful and condescending. About the only thing worse would have been "cute."    

Not sure it would have made much difference.

For sure, being laughed at in front of your colleagues and on television wouldn't be received well by anyone.

No clue why he felt compelled comment on her asking a question at all.  It's what media do.  It's something he has a lot of experience with.

As far as I know, he hasn't shared what moved him to make those comments or if he meant something other than what he said.

9 hours ago, Nadine said:

I think Cam needs to join the century. Unfortunate to hear a modern young man talk this way.  The fact that he did it on TV just shows, it's just who he is.  Good luck with that Cam

What ticks me off is Cam is standing up equality/oppression, ect but yet he just blatantly disregarded a female reporters questioning about routes. . . .  Then she approached him after and it apparently was even worse according to her.  I'm not a social justice warrior obviously, but we live in a HUGE hypocrisy today.  How can you be for equality, but yet make arrogant sexist remarks??  The hypocrisy that goes on in our society is on a rampage. 

17 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Not sure it would have made much difference.

For sure, being laughed at in front of your colleagues and on television wouldn't be received well by anyone.

No clue why he felt compelled comment on her asking a question at all.  It's what media do.  It's something he has a lot of experience with.

As far as I know, he hasn't shared what moved him to make those comments or if he meant something other than what he said.

If he hasn't followed up with any explanation, then it's pretty apparent what he meant.

I didn't know this was a national story, until I had to listen about sexism for my 30 min ride home from work.. 

When are we going to get it.. Black, white, yellow, woman, man, both, gay, straight, unknown, rich, poor, fat, skinny.. we are ALL oppressed! Now can we just try to learn to live with one another? Nobody is better than anyone else. And if sports is going to debating over anything else other than The Bucs kicking the snot out of the Patriots tonight.. we gotta find new hobbies.

Lets go Sports!

28 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

What ticks me off is Cam is standing up equality/oppression, ect but yet he just blatantly disregarded a female reporters questioning about routes. . . .  Then she approached him after and it apparently was even worse according to her.  I'm not a social justice warrior obviously, but we live in a HUGE hypocrisy today.  How can you be for equality, but yet make arrogant sexist remarks??  The hypocrisy that goes on in our society is on a rampage. 

I don't get it, perhaps he can explain how he reconciles his words with these words

It doesn't tick me off though.  I don't make the leap that there is a huge hypocrisy today. Not in the people that I know anyway.

Sweeping generalizations are seldom correct.  My dad use to always rant to me how kids these days didn't work hard and didn't have any values.  I always asked him, which of his 50 grand children was he referring to? They are all fine people.........and apparently exceptions to his proclamations about 'all youth'

I think Cam has some soul searching to do but, I don't think this applies to all men any more than I think it applies to all people in the NFL.

14 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I didn't know this was a national story, until I had to listen about sexism for my 30 min ride home from work.. 

When are we going to get it.. Black, white, yellow, woman, man, both, gay, straight, unknown, rich, poor, fat, skinny.. we are ALL oppressed! Now can we just try to learn to live with one another? Nobody is better than anyone else. And if sports is going to debating over anything else other than The Bucs kicking the snot out of the Patriots tonight.. we gotta find new hobbies.

Lets go Sports!

It will go on until we all realize that we are all in this together.

32 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

If he hasn't followed up with any explanation, then it's pretty apparent what he meant.

Or maybe he's doing some soul searching?

If he regrets what he said, hopefully it's because it wasn't a nice thing to say and not just because it ticked people off.

3 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Or maybe he's doing some soul searching?

If he regrets what he said, hopefully it's because it wasn't a nice thing to say and not just because it ticked people off.

When he said what he said, when I heard it I was like, did he just say that? Cant believe he made that comment but then again it is Cam. You never what he is going to say. I knew he would catch heat for this and he should.

2 hours ago, Nadine said:

I think what some are saying is there is Conscious/Deliberate behavior and Unconscious behavior. One is with intent and the other is unknowingly. I can't say because I don't know his heart and mind. Before I label someone with such strong language I would like him to admit he believes it to be true. (Sure he isn't going to admit it would be career suicide) Just like I don't go around calling people racist because they make a racially insensitive remark. First off perhaps they didn't intend for it to be taken that way or secondly it was said without thought or under some influence or possibly maybe something was even taken out of context. Regardless I think things people can do or say can be racist, sexist, etc but its much harder to judge the inner person as such. That said when it keeps happening or someones actions continue to support it...sure everyone is going to make the decision to judge them for themselves. I think a lot of this is out of ignorance...at least I hope...but not necessarily out of some deep held belief he has. At least I hope so. That said I can't blame someone for coming to that conclusion..his actions and comments certainly paint him in a negative light.

Cam should not have said what he said and sometimes it can be a slip of the tongue.  Cam afterwards indicated that he should of use the word "reporters" when he thought it was funny that a reporter is talking about routes.  Essentially Cam thought it was funny that the press was talking about routes when perhaps they may not know what the route trees are, etc.  Sometimes the press think they know everything.  Just ask BB.

Also, I think it is important to actually see the entire interaction in context: Here is a link to the video of the question and Cam's entire response, before and after. 

If you see in the video for the first 8-9 seconds of the question he is focusing on her question, even nodding, not laughing or dissing her, then when she says the word "routes" it brought a smile to his face, he makes the funny comment then spends a full 40 seconds answering her question and looking at her whilst he was answering without a smile, smirk, or a BB stare and giving the answer to the question.

So yes the funny comment was out line, but he did answer her question.  

As a side note, we do not know if Cam knew this or not, but the reporter in question has a past on twitter of laughing at racial jokes and retwitting a post calling Dale Earnhardt a B-word N-word.  And she works as a beat writer for a sport predominately African American

Given her history on this manner one would think she would have tougher skin when it comes to things like racial and sexist remarks.  

Sometimes what goes around comes and around and folks just need to move on. 

26 minutes ago, Nadine said:

I don't get it, perhaps he can explain how he reconciles his words with these words

It doesn't tick me off though.  I don't make the leap that there is a huge hypocrisy today. Not in the people that I know anyway.

Sweeping generalizations are seldom correct.  My dad use to always rant to me how kids these days didn't work hard and didn't have any values.  I always asked him, which of his 50 grand children was he referring to? They are all fine people.........and apparently exceptions to his proclamations about 'all youth'

I think Cam has some soul searching to do but, I don't think this applies to all men any more than I think it applies to all people in the NFL.

True personally I don't know that many hypocritical people.  It tends to come from the national media, social media and celebrities.  They all seem to blow it out of proportion.  

4 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

As a side note, we do not know if Cam knew this or not, but the reporter in question has a past on twitter of laughing at racial jokes and retwitting a post calling Dale Earnhardt a B-word N-word.  And she works as a beat writer for a sport predominately African American

Given her history on this manner one would think she would have tougher skin when it comes to things like racial and sexist remarks.  

Thanks for the insight, I did not know this.

10 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

Cam should not have said what he said and sometimes it can be a slip of the tongue.  Cam afterwards indicated that he should of use the word "reporters" when he thought it was funny that a reporter is talking about routes.  Essentially Cam thought it was funny that the press was talking about routes when perhaps they may not know what the route trees are, etc.  Sometimes the press think they know everything.  Just ask BB.

Also, I think it is important to actually see the entire interaction in context: Here is a link to the video of the question and Cam's entire response, before and after. 

If you see in the video for the first 8-9 seconds of the question he is focusing on her question, even nodding, not laughing or dissing her, then when she says the word "routes" it brought a smile to his face, he makes the funny comment then spends a full 40 seconds answering her question and looking at her whilst he was answering without a smile, smirk, or a BB stare and giving the answer to the question.

So yes the funny comment was out line, but he did answer her question.  

Perhaps....definitely would have changed the context of the interaction if he was to have said reporters and not a female indicating that reporters in general don't understand routes or the fine details of the game....there have been many imply this and many coaches etc that have just looked like a holes ....Bill Bellichick, Bobby Knight, Gregg Popovich to name a few...but yeah he didn't use those words and thus it took a WHOLE different meaning.

Which is why I've been pretty slow to label the guy...I think he is more narcissistic first then anything....but it was his words and he has to own them.

9 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

Yikes I didn't know that...that's sad to hear. I think what it goes to show is that we all have faults and we all use poor words and we all make mistakes. Two wrongs don't make a right...and before we point out the mote in our brothers eye we should remove the beam from our own. That applies to this situation...the flag kneeling...social injustice...the whole gambit of issues. I'm still not going to just let his comment go without challenging it...but I also don't like to call people names and label people like we can just write them off as horrible humans. Hopefully some good comes from the situation...and hopefully sports can move forward and be about sports again someday.

27 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

I saw that too. Doesn't appear she is much of a saint either.

34 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

I saw that too.  Doesn't cancel out what he said.  And she didn't say anything to indicate she had thin skin. I saw what he said and I judged it sexist, because it is.

Now, if he were to say something along the lines of 'she had it coming because.......'

Still wouldn't justify it

It's people in general that have and should take exception to what he said.  Doesn't matter that she said inappropriate things in the past.

What he said was sexist. Bottom line.  no excuses

25 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yikes I didn't know that...that's sad to hear. I think what it goes to show is that we all have faults and we all use poor words and we all make mistakes. Two wrongs don't make a right...and before we point out the mote in our brothers eye we should remove the beam from our own. That applies to this situation...the flag kneeling...social injustice...the whole gambit of issues. I'm still not going to just let his comment go without challenging it...but I also don't like to call people names and label people like we can just write them off as horrible humans. Hopefully some good comes from the situation...and hopefully sports can move forward and be about sports again someday.

It'll move forward like this never happened would be my guess.

9 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Why did'nt she speak up after his comment calling him out ask him a follow up "  like is belittlleing my question your way of saying that women do not belong in the press core " 

IMO that smile would have faded very quickly ,  

Reporters men or woman needs to speak up at that time & IMO men reporters get disrespected all the time & if a woman is gonna do the job she needs to get over it .

So he thought it was funny so what are we now gonna legislate free speech & sense of humor . 

If people were not disrespected to begin with then the issue of reaction would be dead.

One more comment and I'm out.

Lots of men have sexist attitudes and say sexist things.  this includes both conservatives and progressives. It exists within and between all races and religions.  I see it every day. Some of the people I love are raging sexists. It's just a fact of life.

It's discouraging to me to hear men talk about how it wasn't so bad or she was worse so, forget about it, or she got her question answered so no big deal.

Sexism is real.  Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean it doesn't affect other people.

Journalism used to be predominantly male.  In fact, women were not allowed to do anything but research because they were women.  Didn't matter if they had more education or more skill than their male counterparts. They routinely made far less money and were denied opportunity because they were women.

Sports is the last big journalism wall that some women have decided to tackle. More power to them!

Here's my take for what its worth.

What he said obviously was stupid. But I'm not sure I'm ready to join everyone in nailing him as a sexist. Its totally possible he was trying to joke by saying it, and it didn't work out the way he expected.

We have no clue what he is like behind closed doors. He could be super nice and respectful to every woman he talks too in general. We have no way of knowing what he is like in that regard.

And yes, its totally possible he is sexist, too.

But we all have said something stupid and mean before, even if we didn't mean too. Maybe that is what happened, we don't know. No, its not an excuse, but its entirely possible he was having a bad day and said something stupid that he didn't mean. 

Just my opinion, I could be reading into it totally wrong.

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I honestly see no problem with this. Women want to be and should be treated as equals, so if Cam criticizes a member of the media, it shouldn't matter if they are male or female, it should be met with the same reaction, unless he sexually harasses her or something, which he didn't. Media just making something out of nothing. Most of the women reporters aren't very knowledgeable about football to where they are hired as more than eye candy, so Cam may have a point, depending on her credibility. 

Bottom line, women and men should be treated as equals, whether it's good or bad, you can't pick and choose.

You missed it. He did not say female reporter rather, "female" attacking the fact that she's a woman not a woman reporter. What if the person in question was a white quarterback and a reporter referenced a black quarterback in a question and the answer was  "blacks may not understand plays in a game plan." Also, it has been more than 24 hours, where is the apology? His yogurt commericals money is over but the Panthers need to ban him like they did when he refused to wear a tie.

Outrageous! Just outrageous! /s

this country has to have more phony bullshippers per capita than any other nation.  Listening to mike and mike you would have thought he told her to get back in the kitchen where she belongs.

cant we discuss serious issues like where men who think they're women can take a leak?