Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cam Newton - Sexist

DaveA1102

15 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Data?

You want a list of names? There's not going to be data saying this group of women is horrible or another group is good, but I'll give you a few names.

Kay Adams on Good Morning Football is probably the best Woman I see. She's knowledgeable, has a great personality, enjoys what she does, and is very cute to say the least. I genuinely enjoy watching her every morning. There's Britt McHenry, who is dumb as a rock, Pam Oliver and Josina Anderson, who seem to do their job for a check, Erin Andrews, Samantha Ponder, Lindsay Rhodes, and Alex Flanigan. Mostly eye candy. Not sure what data you want, but the only two women I really enjoy watching on tv are Kay Adams on Good Morning Football, and Lauren Shahadi on MLB Network. Not saying women aren't knowledgeable, but they don't hire a lot of them that are passioniate about their job.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I didn't see a problem with it either. But I'm sure their are a lot of women reporters who know a WHOLE lot about football. But we can't deny it's different. And not in a bad way necessarily. Find me a woman who know the Colts better than me. I'll tell her "it's crazy" you know more about the Colts than I do. Am I sexist? nah I don't think so. Probably attracted me to talk to her more..

There probably are a bunch who do, unfortunately it's hard to notice when they have no personality or they do it for a paycheck, and it seems they don't have the passion for it like the men do. That's why I like talking to women about football on here, and I enjoy it when I see a women on TV like Kay Adams on Good Morning Football or Lauren Shehadi on MLB Network when they have so much fun and do such a good job sharing knowledge about the sports they love.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

There probably are a bunch who do, unfortunately it's hard to notice when they have no personality or they do it for a paycheck, and it seems they don't have the passion for it like the men do. That's why I like talking to women about football on here, and I enjoy it when I see a women on TV like Kay Adams on Good Morning Football or Lauren Shehadi on MLB Network when they have so much fun and do such a good job sharing knowledge about the sports they love.

Its just human nature for us to assume gender roles. My wife laughs at the woman reporters, saying "they don't know what they are saying and only got the job because they're pretty." Now my wife doesn't know what she's talking about lol doesn't even understand football, but imagine a man saying that. I could only assume my wife is a sexist to her own kind haha.

Poor Cam. Poor Women. Why can't we all just love and hug each other forever?

4 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Now my wife doesn't know what she's talking about lol doesn't even understand football, but imagine a man saying that. I could only assume my wife is a sexist to her own kind

Actually, plenty of women are sexist against other women. It's strange to me but I've seen plenty of it.

47 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

Oh she is just loving this.  Now she gets to be the poor little victim.

People say "join 2017" like that's supposed to be a good thing.  This is the age of PC and outrage culture.  

Laying in wait to be offended has become an epidemic suffered by many in this country.

16 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You want a list of names? There's not going to be data saying this group of women is horrible or another group is good, but I'll give you a few names.

Kay Adams on Good Morning Football is probably the best Woman I see. She's knowledgeable, has a great personality, enjoys what she does, and is very cute to say the least. I genuinely enjoy watching her every morning. There's Britt McHenry, who is dumb as a rock, Pam Oliver and Josina Anderson, who seem to do their job for a check, Erin Andrews, Samantha Ponder, Lindsay Rhodes, and Alex Flanigan. Mostly eye candy. Not sure what data you want, but the only two women I really enjoy watching on tv are Kay Adams on Good Morning Football, and Lauren Shahadi on MLB Network. Not saying women aren't knowledgeable, but they don't hire a lot of them that are passioniate about their job.

I don't doubt that there are a continuum of qualities that are deemed entertaining enough to TV viewers to warrant putting them on air.

Makes sense.  Some people are like Skip Bayless and irritate the tar out of people and more than a few NFL commentators are attractive, I think that goes with the job description (generally) for being on TV.

Your saying that for the most part, women are chosen for their looks and in spite of their knowledge of the game or skill at commentating?

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Laying in wait to be offended has become an epidemic suffered by many in this country.

I think the epidemic is people who want to normalize stereotyping. 

It's not normal for athletes to challenge a mans credentials when he asks a legitimate football question.  That's what happened here.

It's sexist, it just is and it deserves to be called out.

If he's proud of being a sexist, then he's getting the spot light he wanted. 

8 minutes ago, Nadine said:

I don't doubt that there are a continuum of qualities that are deemed entertaining enough to TV viewers to warrant putting them on air.

Makes sense.  Some people are like Skip Bayless and irritate the tar out of people and more than a few NFL commentators are attractive, I think that goes with the job description (generally) for being on TV.

Your saying that for the most part, women are chosen for their looks and in spite of their knowledge of the game or skill at commentating?

I don't know if you have ever watched WWF/WWE wrestling, but the general idea back 15 years ago was to hire bikini models as women wrestlers and try to teach them how to wrestle. They were hired for their looks, to bring ratings, and to try and eventually teach them how to wrestle in time. If one became successful at wrestling, it was a huge success. I believe that reporters are similar. A lot of them are hired for looks (not all of them), with a general understanding for football, and if they turn out to be successful in the future, it's a major plus in both ways, if not, they have the more knowledgeable, older women, to lean on as a backup. Some pretty women actually love the sport they report and talk about, but IMO, most of them do not and do it for a check.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't know if you have ever watched WWF/WWE wrestling, but the general idea back 15 years ago was to hire bikini models as women wrestlers and try to teach them how to wrestle. They were hired for their looks, to bring ratings, and to try and eventually teach them how to wrestle in time. If one became successful at wrestling, it was a huge success. I believe that reporters are similar. A lot of them are hired for looks (not all of them), with a general understanding for football, and if they turn out to be successful in the future, it's a major plus in both ways, if not, they have the more knowledgeable, older women, to lean on as a backup. Some pretty women actually love the sport they report and talk about, but IMO, most of them do not and do it for a check.

That path into many fields is true for women.

The 'weather bunny' springs to mind.

Can't say that I agree with you on all women in sports media though.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Sometimes, when a person not in the profession uses terms of the profession its a bit off-putting to the person in the profession.  As an example, if a reporter who covers professional mathematicians for a living, but is no mathematician themselves, talks to Einstein using the terms of a mathematician, Einstein might think the reporter is a "wannabe" and not genuinely knowledgeable, only pretending to be in order to give their questions some legitimacy. 

I assume the use of the words "route" and "trucked" by the reporter gave Cam the same impression.  Just like you'd have to wonder if the reporter spouting off mathematician terms to Einstein would be thought of as a wannabe, a reporter who probably never ran a route, got trucked, or ever trucked anybody else, might come off as a wannabe.  A person of any gender can be a football wannabe, and to use the terms of the profession when speaking to the professional can be off-putting.

Not defending the words, but to say that the comments don't have some legitimacy seems to be purposely biased. 

The problem is, he didn't say "it's funny to hear a person not in the profession talk about routes", he said "its funny to hear a female talk about routes".

Therein lies the problem.

2 minutes ago, Nadine said:

That path into many fields is true for women.

The 'weather bunny' springs to mind.

Can't say that I agree with you on all women in sports media though.

Fair enough. I've said my peace, pretty much agree with you. Hopefully this blows over and Cam apologizes. 

46 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I honestly see no problem with this. Women want to be and should be treated as equals, so if Cam criticizes a member of the media, it shouldn't matter if they are male or female, it should be met with the same reaction, unless he sexually harasses her or something, which he didn't. Media just making something out of nothing. Most of the women reporters aren't very knowledgeable about football to where they are hired as more than eye candy, so Cam may have a point, depending on her credibility. 

Bottom line, women and men should be treated as equals, whether it's good or bad, you can't pick and choose.

That's exactly right, but if a male reporter had asked her about the routes, do you think he would have laughed and said it was funny sounding?  The is the exact opposite of being treated as equals isn't it?

6 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

That's exactly right, but if a male reporter had asked her about the routes, do you think he would have laughed and said it was funny sounding?  The is the exact opposite of being treated as equals isn't it?

My reasoning for this is is that men are a lot more intelligent when it comes to football. The average male knows a lot more than the average female about football, and even the vast majority of female football fans are casuals. It's a stereotype that women don't know anything about football, but it is true a lot of the time. This isn't insulting a women really, this is just calling her out because their gender generally is a lot less knowledgeable throughout history than men at football, and it really hasn't changed too much over the last 50 years.

So yes, men and women are equals, deserve the same rights and everything, but you have to also take into account that women don't play professional football for a living (besides the LFL), and their knowledge of the game is inferior on average to the average man's knowledge over the last 50 years.

Don't beat me up for saying this because I am neither sexist nor racist.  I hesitated writing the post.

When I was growing up it was a lot less common to see an African American in the QB position.  As we know it is commonplace now.

I just wonder how he would feel if someone grinned and said to him... "its funny to hear a black man talking about being a quarterback".  I know it is kinda out of context now, but it is basically the same thing.  I am sure he would be as offended as she was.

Am I wrong for comparing the two?

19 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I didn't say you were in this pretzel.

Some people in the media, who'd spend all day and all night for weeks letting us know that this is the outrage of the day, are going to mention it once or twice and move on. It's a prediction on how Florio, B/R, NFL.com writers ect will treat this, I could be wrong.

I don't go to ESPN much anymore except to watch a ball game or check a score but I wonder if the "Undefeated" will have it out against "ESPNW" now. I don't want to get any more political etc with this but they had no problem calling out and supporting the players protests and this social injustice movement but now when the players or this one in particular is showing that they are just as guilty or imperfect as who they are standing up against will they hold their feet to the fire. Fact is sure as fellow citizens and one nation we should lift up our neighbors and citizens but we aren't a perfect people and we aren't a perfect nation but dang it we have more opportunities in this country that men and women of all colors and affiliations can obtain their dreams than any other country in the world. I love this country and I love that while we fail and fall down we help each other get up and try to be better. We strive to make it a better union. When we see wrong we want to make it right. I'm glad we are addressing the topics and bringing it to light...just like with other issues...and that hopefully we remember that we can be respectful of our fellow men/women even if they come down on an issue differently. I'm glad to see the dialog...and I hope that the media and players catch this too....we all have room to grow and perhaps they can see that bigotry, racism, and sexism etc can come from many places and many sides and sometimes its not done purposely..it can be but it can also be done unconsciously and we can all work to understand it better.

2 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Don't beat me up for saying this because I am neither sexist nor racist.  I hesitated writing the post.

When I was growing up it was a lot less common to see an African American in the QB position.  As we know it is commonplace now.

I just wonder how he would feel if someone grinned and said to him... "its funny to hear a black man talking about being a quarterback".  I know it is kinda out of context now, but it is basically the same thing.  I am sure he would be as offended as she was.

Am I wrong for comparing the two?

makes sense to me

Maybe put in those terms he could understand it

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

we all have room to grow and perhaps they can see that bigotry, racism, and sexism etc can come from many places and many sides and sometimes its not done purposely..it can be but it can also be done unconsciously and we can all work to understand it better.

I think most people see that.

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

My reasoning for this is is that men are a lot more intelligent when it comes to football. The average male knows a lot more than the average female about football, and even the vast majority of female football fans are casuals. It's a stereotype that women don't know anything about football, but it is true a lot of the time. This isn't insulting a women really, this is just calling her out because their gender generally is a lot less knowledgeable throughout history than men at football, and it really hasn't changed too much over the last 50 years.

So yes, men and women are equals, deserve the same rights and everything, but you have to also take into account that women don't play professional football for a living (besides the LFL), and their knowledge of the game is inferior on average to the average man's knowledge over the last 50 years.

Dear God...  :facepalm:

You could say the same for most professions since women weren't even allowed to be "professionals" in the past.  Are men more intelligent when it comes to politics?  Medicine?  The Law?

Is womens' knowledge of everything but home-making "inferior" to mens because they are playing "catch-up" in everything?

3 hours ago, Gramz said:

I don't know why anyone is surprised.   This is who he is.

2 hours ago, Nadine said:

Agree with Gramz, this is who he is.

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I have no respect for sCam Newton, this is not surprising. 

Is anyone surprised?  We've seen this sort of immaturity since day 1.

Cam Newton is an entitled jerk with a very fragile ego.

If he does apologize, he will make an excuse and pout while he does it...  :bored:

2 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

The problem is, he didn't say "it's funny to hear a person not in the profession talk about routes", he said "its funny to hear a female talk about routes".

Therein lies the problem.

He's not parsing his words and speaking precisely in that situation.  People hardly ever do anyway. 

A person who hasn't ran a route is synonymous with "female".  She also used the term "trucked".  He's got a problem with the words she used, the verbiage, the slang used by the players; as if she is trying to hang with the players, not simply being a reporter covering football. 

Identifying her as female in this situation doesn't absolutely denote sexism, IMO.  He's overreacting and being dramatic, but that's Cam. 

7 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You could say the same for most professions since women weren't even allowed to be "professionals" in the past.  Are men more intelligent when it comes to politics?  Medicine?  The Law?

Is womens' knowledge of everything but home-making "inferior" to mens because they are playing "catch-up" in everything?

Please make an argument that women are as intelligent as men in football. Most don't follow the Draft or FA, most don't play fantasy football, most don't know every player on every team and some don't know every player on their own team. A lot of them are casual fans, if you think that makes them "inferior" that's on you, but sports (and football in general), have always been more of a guys thing.

Your rant is really bad saying politics, medicine, and the law as well.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He's not parsing his words and speaking precisely in that situation.  People hardly ever do anyway. 

A person who hasn't ran a route is synonymous with "female".  She also used the term "trucked".  He's got a problem with the words she used, the verbiage, the slang used by the players; as if she is trying to hang with the players, not simply being a reporter covering football. 

Identifying her as female in this situation doesn't absolutely denote sexism, IMO.  He's overreacting and being dramatic, but that's Cam. 

I use the term "trucked".  I use the term "routes".  I've never played organized football.

I use the slang.  So, presumably, Cam would have a problem with the words I use.

But I'm not female, so "female" isn't synonymous with me.  What word would he have chosen for me?  And why didn't he just use that word for her in the first place?

15 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Well it's been long enough that men and women have had pretty comparable roles in society that I can't imagine anyone would argue such a thing. Women actually receive more college degrees than men do today and in the U.S. young single women who haven't had children are actually making more money than young single men who haven't, on average. 

As for football, while some majority of the fan base is still male, any given female fan wouldn't have their knowledge of the game limited by virtue of them being a woman. I think implying it would somehow be a limitation was Cam's mistake, contrary to a sentiment most of us can all agree on. 

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Please make an argument that women are as intelligent as men in football. Most don't follow the Draft or FA, most don't play fantasy football, most don't know every player on every team and some don't know every player on their own team. A lot of them are casual fans, if you think that makes them "inferior" that's on you, but sports (and football in general), have always been more of a guys thing.

Your rant is really bad saying politics, medicine, and the law as well.

Ok, fine.  Here comes the argument.  You ready?

There are women in this world that know more about football than you and me combined, which is why you and I are on this forum being amateurs, while they are being hired as PROFESSIONAL coaches, assistants, consultants, referees, etc. etc.

So if you want to cling to your averages, fine, go ahead.  But you, Cam, and others like you are being left in the past.

:hat:

8 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

There are women in this world that know more about football than you and me combined, which is why you and I are on this forum being amateurs, while they are being hired as PROFESSIONAL coaches, assistants, consultants, referees, etc. etc.

So if you want to cling to your averages, fine, go ahead.  But you, Cam, and others like you are being left in the past.

I think that's a pretty strong argument.

This whole topic boils down to one thing.  RESPECT.     

Respect for each other, no matter who you are, what your race is,  what your gender is,  so on.     Respect for each other goes a long way in helping people communicate and get along.  Period.    He did Not Respect her.

4 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You mean all 3 of them? Compared to the hundreds of men? You seem to have the idea that I'm sexist or something. I prefer women to be involved in football. It provides a different variety that isn't there before. HOWEVER, I want women who are passioniate and qualified, and there are very few out there. That's why it's taken so long to hire any women, and that was the result of one getting hired in the NBA. If they can do their job, I'm all for it, but if they are getting hired just to hire a women, then that is sexist against men. Also, when a women does something meaningful as a coach or assistant in football, then you can say they know more than you and me combined. I hope they do, but so far, it's a PC thing to me right now.

30 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Excuses

30 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I use the term "trucked".  I use the term "routes".  I've never played organized football.

I use the slang.  So, presumably, Cam would have a problem with the words I use.

But I'm not female, so "female" isn't synonymous with me.  What word would he have chosen for me?  And why didn't he just use that word for her in the first place?

Because he knows by looking at her that she hasn't ever trucked anybody.  He wouldn't know that about any of the male reporters or you.  Being male, you could be an ex-coach turned reporter for all he knows.

That will probably change over time, but as of right now, that's accurate.

If he knew you never played, and used the slang terms the players used when speaking to him, he'd probably let you know he had a problem with it.

She asked a legitimate question......even a flattering question.

And yet so many men here want to justify what he said to her in return.

"She deserved it, she's playing the victim, this is what's wrong with the world, men know more about football than women..."

I actually can't think of a more clear cut example of sexism and yet...........MANY do not want to see it.

So disappointing.

1 minute ago, Nadine said:

"She deserved it, she's playing the victim, this is what's wrong with the world, men know more about football than women..."

I actually can't think of a more clear cut example of sexism and yet...........MANY do not want to see it.

So disappointing.

It's everywhere. I've witnessed people scoff at my wife for being a Star Wars enthusiast simply because she's not a dude... That really set me off... 

19 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Excuses

So let me ask you this.

In high school, all the students typically know each other, know their backgrounds.  Say a group of football jocks....the arrogant kind.....are in the hall talking about football using the terms that football players use.  Along comes a kid who has only watched football....but may in fact know as much about it as the players.....and starts talking to the players using the same football terms they use.

And the players say "get away from us you dweeb"

Now. replace the word "dweeb" with "girl".   Does using a term of gender in this situation denote sexism?

I think it illustrates a spoiled ignorant arrogant jock mentality who has a problem with people not like them thinking they belong in the same space.  That's an issue that goes beyond gender.  IMO the times that the confrontation involves a woman and using the term of gender doesn't mean its sexist, but I think a lot of people have the habit of looking at it that way.  But I'm no PHD sociologist, I'm just a guy on the internet.   

And another question.  If Cam was a soccer player and Mia Hamm became a reporter and asked him the same question, would he say the same thing?    Call her out for simply being a female asking a more technical question?  

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That will probably change over time, but as of right now, that's accurate.

The change has already begun. Maybe she should have used different terminology, but as the LEADER of the team, the face of the franchise, Cam has repeatedly faltered. It goes beyond public relations and political correctness. The way he behaves reflects some of the reasons his character gets in the way of his game. 

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=126727

16 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

It's everywhere. I've witnessed people scoff at my wife for being a Star Wars enthusiast simply because she's not a dude... That really set me off... 

Women in video games have had a tough road as well

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So let me ask you this.

In high school, all the students typically know each other, know their backgrounds.  Say a group of football jocks....the arrogant kind.....are in the hall talking about football using the terms that football players use.  Along comes a kid who has only watched football....but may in fact know as much about it as the players.....and starts talking to the players using the same football terms they use.

And the players say "get away from us you dweeb"

Now. replace the word "dweeb" with "girl".   Does using a term of gender in this situation denote sexism?

I think it illustrates a spoiled ignorant arrogant jock mentality who has a problem with people not like them thinking they belong in the same space.  That's an issue that goes beyond gender.  IMO the times that the confrontation involves a woman and using the term of gender doesn't mean its sexist, but I think a lot of people have the habit of looking at it that way.  But I'm no PHD sociologist, I'm just a guy on the internet.   

And another question.  If Cam was a soccer player and Mia Hamm became a reporter and asked him the same question, would he say the same thing?    Call her out for simply being a female asking a more technical question?  

I think it's  a stretch to say that he had a pc reaction to the slang she used. As far as I'm aware, there are no such unwritten rules as to who may use which words when asking a football question and that she somehow violated that code.

Honestly, it's his time in the spotlight and he's being asked a softball question.  Sure he's being a jerk but in this case he specifically pointed out her gender.  I don't know how he could possibly have been more clear.

The fact that instead of thinking immediately of his team mates and what they did well and sharing that with the press.......he laughed at her for asking a football question.

It reflects very poorly on him anyway I look at it.  I don't doubt it is sexist though.  He laid it out there as such.

I can't answer the soccer analogy.

2 hours ago, bananabucket said:

Oh she is just loving this.  Now she gets to be the poor little victim.

People say "join 2017" like that's supposed to be a good thing.  This is the age of PC and outrage culture.  

No this is the age of actually confronting the centuries long ills of society.  The people sitting comfortably atop that hierarchy will scream to the heavens and be uncomfortable about it.  People who this affects on a daily basis will be saying to themselves, "it's about damn time!"

12 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Agree with this 100%. Not sure why guys wouldn't want a female playing video games.

Because 'guys' use terms like female to describe women.  Female can be any animal or plant.  Female dog.  Female lion.  Female kangaroo.  Now ask yourself when was the last time you referred to a man as a male?  It starts there.  Unconscious to many but prevalent none the less.  It's also sexist, no matter the intent.

35 minutes ago, Nadine said:

So disappointing.

The fact that she used a Madden football game term in the question, did not help her if she wants to be taken as a serious professional.  He still should not have been condescending towards her, at least that's the way it looked to me.  He should have apologized to her when she addressed him after the interview.  However, I am seeing people labeling him as sexist without even knowing him.  I, along with most of my past teammates, have said off color remarks back when I was in a locker room, but I am not sexist or any other "ist" that I can think of right now.  Just because someone may make a sexist remark does not mean they are a sexist.

16 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Agree with this 100%. Not sure why guys wouldn't want a female playing video games.

They don't want them creating them either.  I think it's another manifestation of culture wars.

In the case of gamergate, it got real ugly, death threats, rape threats, online campaigns of harassment.  An example on how ugly people can be on the web.

Similar situation with women in coding.  Few remember that coding was predominantly female occupation.  Men tended to stick to hardware, looking at software as less prestigious. In fact, the first person to program computers with words rather than numbers was Grace Hopper, a computer scientist and Navy rear admiral.  She wrote the program language COBOL

That clearly has changed but, women are coming back into the field now.

2 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

The fact that she used a Madden football game term in the question, did not help her if she wants to be taken as a serious professional.  He still should not have been condescending towards her, at least that's the way it looked to me.  He should have apologized to her when she addressed him after the interview.  However, I am seeing people labeling him as sexist without even knowing him.  I, along with most of my past teammates, have said off color remarks back when I was in a locker room, but I am not sexist or any other "ist" that I can think of right now.  Just because someone may make a sexist remark does not mean they are a sexist.

I'm exempting locker room talk.

I have four brothers, I've had to let a lot roll off of me.

Sorry, still can't see how he's not a sexist.