Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cam Newton - Sexist

DaveA1102

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000856806/article/cam-funny-to-hear-a-female-talk-about-routes

With all the media training and the fact he has previous for being called out for sexism (called a reporter "sweetheart" in a previous press conference), you would think he would learn.....let alone the fact that any normal person would not use such derogatory language.

Concerning to hear that, after the fact, the reporter approached him and, not only did he not apologise, she said "it was worse" per the article.

I did see someone on twitter say something along the lines of "Cam finds it funny to hear women talk about routes, I find it funny a football player doesn't dive on a fumble in the biggest game of their life".  Well put.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Nadine said:

I think Cam needs to join the century. Unfortunate to hear a modern young man talk this way.  The fact that he did it on TV just shows, it's just who he is.  Good luck with that Cam

100% agree.  It is encouraging the amount of backlash that has come when this would not have had as much coverage in recent years, but then you look at some of the comments defending him on twitter.....

:groan:

Just now, DaveA1102 said:

100% agree.  It is encouraging the amount of backlash that has come when this would not have had as much coverage in recent years, but then you look at some of the comments defending him on twitter.....

:groan:

Twitter is full of trolls and bots.

You have to be vigilant when browsing there.

I'm sure there are men and women who support him behaving so dismissively to someone who was just trying to cover the game but, thankfully, most people are not this ridiculous.

I guess I picked the wrong day to tell my grandchildren the world is perfect. The media is jammed packed with men that have never played a contact sport but this comment cannot be seen as shocking. It's another example of simply getting caught saying what some players say behind closed doors.

10 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I guess I picked the wrong day to tell my grandchildren the world is perfect. The media is jammed packed with men that have never played a contact sport but this comment cannot be seen as shocking. It's another example of simply getting caught saying what some players say behind closed doors.

Not so much shocking as surprising that he'd treat a woman this way on camera.

2 hours ago, Nadine said:

Not so much shocking as surprising that he'd treat a woman this way on camera.

Stupid is everywhere but he will be told what to say  to get this behind him and will be defended by fellow players as "he really meant no disrespect.". Recall the incident I believe it was after a Patriots game, when women reporters were first allowed in locker rooms for post game interviews players dropping their towels exposing themselves and it was said of such incidents, "if women want in locker rooms then they should do so the same as men."  I don't recall what if any, discipline was leveled against those players. 

1 minute ago, King Colt said:

Stupid is everywhere but he will be told what to say  to get this behind him and will be defended by fellow players as "he really meant no disrespect.". Recall the incident I believe it was after a Patriots game, when women reporters were first allowed in locker rooms for post game interviews players dropping their towels exposing themselves and it was said of such incidents, "if women want in locker rooms then they should do so the same as men."  I don't recall what if any, discipline was leveled against those players. Let's not forget male politicians like the one that occupies the White House.

Yeah, true.

Can't suppress his right to be condescending.

Her coworkers aren't too impressed with Newton

I was in that room, which held about 30 media members, and there was dead silence when Newton proclaimed “It’s funny” – because actually it wasn’t funny at all. To state the obvious, this is 2017 and not 1967. All Rodrigue wanted to do on Wednesday was her job, and instead she found herself in the middle of a social media firestorm.

I like her statement

Why did'nt she speak up after his comment calling him out ask him a follow up "  like is belittlleing my question your way of saying that women do not belong in the press core " 

IMO that smile would have faded very quickly ,  

Reporters men or woman needs to speak up at that time & IMO men reporters get disrespected all the time & if a woman is gonna do the job she needs to get over it .

So he thought it was funny so what are we now gonna legislate free speech & sense of humor . 

I don't know why anyone is surprised.   This is who he is.  This is how he talks.

He probably thought he was making a joke,  maybe he didn't mean to be disrespectful,  he just didn't think before speaking.  :dunno:    

But this is Cam.   He's never been one for speaking politically correct, and probably never will be.

He probably was trying to be funny/flirty... If my wife starting talking to me about WR routes I would say about the same thing. Not meaning any disrespect, it's just not what guys are used to. He talks routes all day everyday with guys. I would obviously love to be able to talk sports with my lady. But for the most part it's not happening. Just like I'd find it a little funny if I started talking to my female co worker about how to apply Mascara.

Maybe he is a sexist, I don't know. Not sure I'd call him a Sexist

15 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

He probably was trying to be funny/flirty... If my wife starting talking to me about WR routes I would say about the same thing. Not meaning any disrespect, it's just not what guys are used to. He talks routes all day everyday with guys. I would obviously love to be able to talk sports with my lady. But for the most part it's not happening. Just like I'd find it a little funny if I started talking to my female co worker about how to apply Mascara.

Maybe he is a sexist, I don't know. Not sure I'd call him a Sexist

Well, all I can say is that he's been in the NFL since 2011. Women have also been in sports media that whole time.

Also, the reporter followed up with him and said that what he said in private was worse.

No doubt in my mind that he intended to be condescending in response to a question that provided an opportunity to praise his team mates.  

Yeah, he's a sexist. The only question I have is why would he choose now to display his sexism on television?

IDK why but, I have no doubt that it reflects his attitude toward women.

No big deal, women encounter this sort of thing all the time.  It was actually kind of nice that he provided video proof.

1 hour ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Why did'nt she speak up after his comment calling him out ask him a follow up "  like is belittlleing my question your way of saying that women do not belong in the press core " 

IMO that smile would have faded very quickly ,  

Reporters men or woman needs to speak up at that time & IMO men reporters get disrespected all the time & if a woman is gonna do the job she needs to get over it .

So he thought it was funny so what are we now gonna legislate free speech & sense of humor . 

So, male press get condescended to  by athletes and it's her fault because she chose not to make the press conference about her? Also, she's just not tough enough to do the job? 

Nobody said anything about legislating condescension.  

What's happening is that other people are reacting to it and calling it what it is, sexism.

1 minute ago, Nadine said:

Also, the reporter followed up with him and said that what he said in private was worse.

This is what is concerning.. But is what made it worse for her the fact that he didn't apologize? Us as men get in trouble for not apologizing when we didn't even know we did wrong lol.

Cam will get a little blow back for this, but he's got many folks in a P.C Pretzel (and some not so much, I've seen some racist posts elsewhere to deride his sexism.. talk about clueless...) who are in the job of talking all day about sports and society on TV/Radio.

Gramz is on to something, this is who Cam is, though. He's just not going to... I'm not even sure what the word is (look now I'm in the PC Pretzel!)..  Grow up?

My first reaction, I'm not being sarcastic and I wasn't coming from a dishonest or mean place, I just wondered if maybe he's a little concussed? Who doesn't know that that kinda answer was sexist when Archie Bunker did it in the 70's- and still is?

Just now, Chrisaaron1023 said:

This is what is concerning.. But is what made it worse for her the fact that he didn't apologize? Us as men get in trouble for not apologizing when we didn't even know we did wrong lol.

I brought that up as a way to demonstrate, he meant it.  Also, the team said that he had apologized, which was not true.

Nobody got in any trouble, the only thing that happened was the Cam outed himself as a sexist and the female reporter declined to share what he actually said to her because, as she said

I spoke with him after and it was worse. I chose not to share, because I have an actual job to do today and one he will not keep me from.”

This sums it up "Newton took a football question and turned it into a sexist jab. There was only one professional in that exchange, and it wasn’t the $100 million quarterback."

This isn't about all men, it's about this man right now

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Cam will get a little blow back for this, but he's got many folks in a P.C Pretzel (and some not so much, I've seen some racist posts elsewhere to deride his sexism.. talk about clueless...) who are in the job of talking all day about sports and society on TV/Radio.

Gramz is on to something, this is who Cam is, though. He's just not going to... I'm not even sure what the word is (look now I'm in the PC Pretzel!)..  Grow up?

My first reaction, I'm not being sarcastic and I wasn't coming from a dishonest or mean place, I just wondered if maybe he's a little concussed?

I think people hide behind terms like PC Pretzel. 

I'm not in a pretzel, I'm very clear.  I'm not upset.  I'm happy to have a man out himself as a sexist and get blow back for it.  He deserves it.

Agree with Gramz, this is who he is.

I think people hide behind terms like PC Pretzel. 

I'm not in a pretzel, I'm very clear.  I'm not upset.  I'm happy to have a man out himself as a sexist and get blow back for it.  He deserves it.

Agree with Gramz, this is who he is.

I didn't say you were in this pretzel.

Some people in the media, who'd spend all day and all night for weeks letting us know that this is the outrage of the day, are going to mention it once or twice and move on. It's a prediction on how Florio, B/R, NFL.com writers ect will treat this, I could be wrong.

Just now, The Fish said:

I didn't say you were in this pretzel.

Some people in the media, who'd spend all day and all night for weeks letting us know that this is the outrage of the day, are going to mention it once or twice and move on. It's a prediction on how Florio, B/R, NFL.com writers ect will treat this, I could be wrong.

I see.

I'm not upset about that either.

I brought that up as a way to demonstrate, he meant it.  Also, the team said that he had apologized, which was not true.

Nobody got in any trouble, the only thing that happened was the Cam outed himself as a sexist and the female reporter declined to share what he actually said to her because, as she said

I spoke with him after and it was worse. I chose not to share, because I have an actual job to do today and one he will not keep me from.”

This sums it up "Newton took a football question and turned it into a sexist jab. There was only one professional in that exchange, and it wasn’t the $100 million quarterback."

This isn't about all men, it's about this man right now

I guess so.. I just didn't read into that statement he made that much.. I mean, with the sideline reports being mostly women. So, I guess you're right, I'm sure he gets asked plenty about route questions from ladies. 

14 minutes ago, Nadine said:

So, male press get condescended to  by athletes and it's her fault because she chose not to make the press conference about her? Also, she's just not tough enough to do the job? 

What's happening is that other people are reacting to it and calling it what it is, sexism.

I agree the comments were pretty tasteless and very condescending. It is also very very concerning that when she tried to address it privately with him he was even worse (if that is the truth and given Cam's past history tells me its very likely). I don't like to throw around labels so as far as calling someone racist or sexist or homophobic etc I am very very reserved in doing so. I think it is very hard to get into someones brain and truly understand the context and intent behind something they say and do. Taking his words at face value...it would definitely be defined as a sexist comment. Does that make him a sexist person...I wouldn't say necessarily. Does that mean he isn't...not necessarily either. I've put my foot in mouth many times in my life...maybe not to the extent that he showed yesterday but certainly said things that I thought would get a different reaction or didn't think through so I'm not going to label him. I'll label his comments because they were clearly sexist. Sometimes however people not intentionally and not with malice say things that they don't mean and sometimes the truth comes out as well. Does he knowingly and purposely think women are inferior and believe they shouldn't even be working in the NFL or in a "Man's game"...I don't know...I lean to the fact that this is more an unconscious bias that he has. That he doesn't realize because more than likely he has never taken a class or been taught how sometimes we let first impressions or preconceived ideas dominate our thought process and actions without confronting it within ourselves and pushing back on that notion. There are a lot of young men in the NFL and other sports that rode through college and life in a bubble...never being taught to question their beliefs or thoughts or critically think about a subject or situation. To me the more sad part of the situation is that when she brought it up he didn't apologize or even recognize her concerns. Maybe that is a signal of his true feelings towards women.....but more likely to me that is the signal of an * that thinks he is better than other because of his stature and position in life.

Now where he goes from here. I'd expect a public apology today I'm sure. There are a lot of little girls and women fans of the Panthers that probably wear Cam jerseys each and every sunday to the games. It would be very discouraging to them and a lot of others if the leader of the team acts this way. Heck Cam got benched for not wearing a tie to the game once there in Carolina so I imagine Mr. Richardson will make a quick and strong statement to Cam about this. The young man is incredibly talented but he is quickly approaching that line with reporters and the public that he will forever be hard to overcome if he doesn't manage his words and attitude more carefully. If he doesn't apologize I imagine there will be a new enemy in the NFL...and hard for players to kneel on Sunday about the oppression and equal justice when one of their own then would be labeled as bad as the men or women these guys are protesting. NFL better get its act together or there won't be anyone left they haven't offended and turned off.

Sometimes, when a person not in the profession uses terms of the profession its a bit off-putting to the person in the profession.  As an example, if a reporter who covers professional mathematicians for a living, but is no mathematician themselves, talks to Einstein using the terms of a mathematician, Einstein might think the reporter is a "wannabe" and not genuinely knowledgeable, only pretending to be in order to give their questions some legitimacy. 

I assume the use of the words "route" and "trucked" by the reporter gave Cam the same impression.  Just like you'd have to wonder if the reporter spouting off mathematician terms to Einstein would be thought of as a wannabe, a reporter who probably never ran a route, got trucked, or ever trucked anybody else, might come off as a wannabe.  A person of any gender can be a football wannabe, and to use the terms of the profession when speaking to the professional can be off-putting.

Not defending the words, but to say that the comments don't have some legitimacy seems to be purposely biased. 

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Sometimes, when a person not in the profession uses terms of the profession its a bit off-putting to the person in the profession.  As an example, if a reporter who covers professional mathematicians for a living, but is no mathematician themselves, talks to Einstein using the terms of a mathematician, Einstein might think the reporter is a "wannabe" and not genuinely knowledgeable, only pretending to be in order to give their questions some legitimacy. 

I assume the use of the words "route" and "trucked" by the reporter gave Cam the same impression.  Just like you'd have to wonder if the reporter spouting off mathematician terms to Einstein would be thought of as a wannabe, a reporter who probably never ran a route, got trucked, or ever trucked anybody else, might come off as a wannabe.  A person of any gender can be a football wannabe, and to use the terms of the profession when speaking to the professional can be off-putting.

Not defending the words, but to say that the comments don't have some legitimacy seems to be purposely biased. 

LOL...

Yeah, no kidding...

Crazy fans, thinking they can talk about routes, just a bunch of silly wannabes if you ask me.

Just now, bananabucket said:

Oh she is just loving this.  Now she gets to be the poor little victim.

People say "join 2017" like that's supposed to be a good thing.  This is the age of PC and outrage culture.  

Its a big mess.. he probably shouldn't have said anything. People are going to go off the handle it'll just take time. It's very easy to get offended nowadays in America just look around..

Cam will learn next time. Just talk football. No joking around she answer the question asked.

Well, Jameis Winston said a similar thing to the extent of keeping women silent:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/02/23/jameis-winston-tells-a-crowd-of-little-kids-that-women-should-be-silent-polite-gentle/?utm_term=.6de5580bf511

Jamies Winston and Cam Newton sure have more similarities than just being in the NFC South. But then, you have to wonder, what did their Dads teach them? Maybe they had Dads like Lavar Ball (just not as public) that were consumed with themselves, and cherished/favored their golden eggs i.e their sons over their wives or daughters. Just saying. :dunno:

Unless it is ingrained into the fabric of your every day life and thought process, a comment like that just doesn't happen spontaneously in public, IMO. Women are usually willing to give men a lot of slack because men can be jerks, I should know. :) So, even if the men are inclined to equalism over feminism (thank you Miss America), women are willing to live with it. However, when men want to drag you back to the 19th century, they probably need a reality check and a bit of calling out. 

4 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

LOL...

Yeah, no kidding...

Crazy fans, thinking they can talk about routes, just a bunch of silly wannabes if you ask me.

Its not my opinion.  I'm dissecting the root of Cam's opinion.

To a guy like Cam, who fancy's himself as the cartoon character Superman, IOW already has an ego/arrogance problem, probably gets offended at anybody thinking they are his equal.

He probably just figured that a woman reporter has never ran a route or trucked anybody, just like most fans never have, and talking to him in that way causes his ego to flare up. 

I don't see it as sexism as much as simply revealing Cam's arrogance...elitism...member of a club where only the club members can speak to him in the professional vernacular.

On 10/5/2017 at 8:02 AM, DougDew said:

To a guy like Cam, who fancy's himself as the cartoon character Superman, IOW already has an ego/arrogance problem, probably gets offended at anybody thinking they are his equal.

He probably just figured that a woman reporter has never ran a route or trucked anybody, just like most fans never have, and talking to him in that way causes his ego to flare up. 

I don't see it as sexism as much as simply revealing Cam's arrogance...elitism...member of a club where only the club members can speak to him in the professional vernacular.

Agreed, some athletes obviously have extremely fragile egos...

I honestly see no problem with this. Women want to be and should be treated as equals, so if Cam criticizes a member of the media, it shouldn't matter if they are male or female, it should be met with the same reaction, unless he sexually harasses her or something, which he didn't. Media just making something out of nothing. Most of the women reporters aren't very knowledgeable about football to where they are hired as more than eye candy, so Cam may have a point, depending on her credibility. 

Bottom line, women and men should be treated as equals, whether it's good or bad, you can't pick and choose.

20 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

Oh she is just loving this.  Now she gets to be the poor little victim.

People say "join 2017" like that's supposed to be a good thing.  This is the age of PC and outrage culture.  

My goodness

Expecting someone to behave like a professional and answer the football question he was asked is not being a victim.

It is a good thing to treat one another with respect. She wasn't outraged, I'm not outraged. Just calling it what it is.

1 hour ago, Nadine said:

Males & females in the media condescend & get condescended weekly , She asked 1 question & most good reporters would ask a follow up especially when its served up on a silver platter , 

She had no problem speaking out & up after the press conference ,

Tough ?  I would say more like incompetent  .

That question made it about her & she failed to seize the moment.

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

agreed 

38 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I agree the comments were pretty tasteless and very condescending. It is also very very concerning that when she tried to address it privately with him he was even worse (if that is the truth and given Cam's past history tells me its very likely). I don't like to throw around labels so as far as calling someone racist or sexist or homophobic etc I am very very reserved in doing so. I think it is very hard to get into someones brain and truly understand the context and intent behind something they say and do. Taking his words at face value...it would definitely be defined as a sexist comment. Does that make him a sexist person...I wouldn't say necessarily. Does that mean he isn't...not necessarily either. I've put my foot in mouth many times in my life...maybe not to the extent that he showed yesterday but certainly said things that I thought would get a different reaction or didn't think through so I'm not going to label him. I'll label his comments because they were clearly sexist. Sometimes however people not intentionally and not with malice say things that they don't mean and sometimes the truth comes out as well. Does he knowingly and purposely think women are inferior and believe they shouldn't even be working in the NFL or in a "Man's game"...I don't know...I lean to the fact that this is more an unconscious bias that he has. That he doesn't realize because more than likely he has never taken a class or been taught how sometimes we let first impressions or preconceived ideas dominate our thought process and actions without confronting it within ourselves and pushing back on that notion. There are a lot of young men in the NFL and other sports that rode through college and life in a bubble...never being taught to question their beliefs or thoughts or critically think about a subject or situation. To me the more sad part of the situation is that when she brought it up he didn't apologize or even recognize her concerns. Maybe that is a signal of his true feelings towards women.....but more likely to me that is the signal of an * that thinks he is better than other because of his stature and position in life.

Now where he goes from here. I'd expect a public apology today I'm sure. There are a lot of little girls and women fans of the Panthers that probably wear Cam jerseys each and every sunday to the games. It would be very discouraging to them and a lot of others if the leader of the team acts this way. Heck Cam got benched for not wearing a tie to the game once there in Carolina so I imagine Mr. Richardson will make a quick and strong statement to Cam about this. The young man is incredibly talented but he is quickly approaching that line with reporters and the public that he will forever be hard to overcome if he doesn't manage his words and attitude more carefully. If he doesn't apologize I imagine there will be a new enemy in the NFL...and hard for players to kneel on Sunday about the oppression and equal justice when one of their own then would be labeled as bad as the men or women these guys are protesting. NFL better get its act together or there won't be anyone left they haven't offended and turned off.

Appreciate your very thoughtful post.

I don't expect all the players in the NFL have the same belief systems by race or gender or whatever.

It's just easy for me to see his comment as sexist and call him out for being a sexist. 

1 minute ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Males & females in the media condescend & get condescended weekly , She asked 1 question & most good reporters would ask a follow up especially when its served up on a silver platter , 

She had no problem speaking out & up after the press conference ,

Tough ?  I would say more like incompetent  .

That question made it about her & she failed to seize the moment.

Wow, OK, I get where you are coming from

Completely disagree, but I get it

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I honestly see no problem with this. Women want to be and should be treated as equals, so if Cam criticizes a member of the media, it shouldn't matter if they are male or female, it should be met with the same reaction, unless he sexually harasses her or something, which he didn't. Media just making something out of nothing. Most of the women reporters aren't very knowledgeable about football to where they are hired as more than eye candy, so Cam may have a point, depending on her credibility. 

Bottom line, women and men should be treated as equals, whether it's good or bad, you can't pick and choose.

I didn't see a problem with it either. But I'm sure their are a lot of women reporters who know a WHOLE lot about football. But we can't deny it's different. And not in a bad way necessarily. Find me a woman who know the Colts better than me. I'll tell her "it's crazy" you know more about the Colts than I do. Am I sexist? nah I don't think so. Probably attracted me to talk to her more..

1 minute ago, Nadine said:

Wow, OK, I get where you are coming from

Completely disagree, but I get it

We can agree to disagree :hat:  I do like reading everyones thoughts on the subject I can only say when I feel mistreated i generally speak right up , IMO its like whipping your dog for an accident on the carpet the day after the incident a day late & a dollar short .

17 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Well, Jameis Winston said a similar thing to the extent of keeping women silent:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/02/23/jameis-winston-tells-a-crowd-of-little-kids-that-women-should-be-silent-polite-gentle/?utm_term=.6de5580bf511

Jamies Winston and Cam Newton sure have more similarities than just being in the NFC South. But then, you have to wonder, what did their Dads teach them? Maybe they had Dads like Lavar Ball (just not as public) that were consumed with themselves, and cherished/favored their golden eggs i.e their sons over their wives or daughters. Just saying. :dunno:

Unless it is ingrained into the fabric of your every day life and thought process, a comment like that just doesn't happen spontaneously in public, IMO. Women are usually willing to give men a lot of slack because men can be jerks, I should know. :) So, even if the men are inclined to equalism over feminism (thank you Miss America), women are willing to live with it. However, when men want to drag you back to the 19th century, they probably need a reality check and a bit of calling out. 

Nice Post!

It's true that men and women say things to each other that are unreasonable. We both give each other slack.

I have to tell you, my husband, who has 3 daughters and no sons only shows his 'man smack talk' side when he's with other men.

I just walk away, it's a kind of a male bonding thing to criticize women I think.  And I think that women do it to.

We don't do it at work and on national TV. Cam did that and has thus earned the spot light.