Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Costanzo move to guard?

Tmoney

Many fans are done with him. Many think he's worse then he actually is. But does anyone with real football knowledge think he could transition to playing guard?? It seems far fetched, but he's a very good run blocker, has very good strength, would be an elite pass protector for a G, and would have elite length for a G. I understand leverage and attacking with a foward step as apposed to a slide step would be different, but those are things I see him doing better at LT then kick stepping and pass protecting on the edge. Thoughts positive and negative are appreciated

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Many fans are done with him. Many think he's worse then he actually is. But does anyone with real football knowledge think he could transition to playing guard?? It seems far fetched, but he's a very good run blocker, has very good strength, would be an elite pass protector for a G, and would have elite length for a G. I understand leverage and attacking with a foward step as apposed to a slide step would be different, but those are things I see him doing better at LT then kick stepping and pass protecting on the edge. Thoughts positive and negative are appreciated

Who would play LT?

4 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

We have no one else to play tackle on the left side. Castanzo is the best we have there. We could put someone out there, for experience, but I'd rather not test that against the 49ers front 7

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Who would play LT?

Sorry I should've been clearer. This would be a next offseason move. Draft our future L and R Ts and let him use the offseason to work on the move. Apologies

Honestly, I wouldn't be mad if we spent one of our top picks next year on an offensive lineman. We need a inside linebacker for sure on the more athletic side of things, but this oline still has struggles despite being much better.  Let's not forget the Rams and Seahawks are the best defenses in the business in terms of pass rush and scoring. Kelly and Luck will make a surprising difference, especially if Andrew can cut on his silly picks. 

1 minute ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be mad if we spent one of our top picks next year on an offensive lineman. We need a inside linebacker for sure on the more athletic side of things, but this oline still has struggles despite being much better.  Let's not forget the Rams and Seahawks are the best defenses in the business in terms of pass rush and scoring. Kelly and Luck will make a surprising difference, especially if Andrew can cut on his silly picks. 

Totally agree on getting more athletic at ILB. If Walker can improve in his 2nd year he COULD be the answer at MLB. We've got $ in FA next year, Whitehead or w.e from Detroit or Telvin Smith from JAX are possibilities. But drafting pass blocking Ts are our biggest need IMO. The style of O we play, the style Andrew likes to play, its an absolute need. AC is a run blocking T, which means he either doesn't fit our system or he's a guard in zone blocking scheme which is what we are. I think it could work. But again agreed ILB is our biggest need on D. Pass rush is also up there

He could transition to guard but it would not be ideal.  He lacks the strength to handle bigger DTs head up.

Sunday night, I missed probably the last 12 minutes of the game and AC actually had been playing well up to that point.  Nor is he as bad as many on this forum seem to think.

He is a good LT, so it would be a waste to sign an elite LT or spend a high draft pick on LT when there are still other positions that need a major upgrade.

6 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

He could transition to guard but it would not be ideal.  He lacks the strength to handle bigger DTs head up.

Sunday night, I missed probably the last 12 minutes of the game and AC actually had been playing well up to that point.  Nor is he as bad as many on this forum seem to think.

He is a good LT, so it would be a waste to sign an elite LT or spend a high draft pick on LT when there are still other positions that need a major upgrade.

I think leverage more then strength would be his biggest issue. He's 315 which is average guard weight and is built very well. Can he handle 350+?? I can't say 4sure yes but his length would allow him to always get in initial punch which is key. He's better then many colts fans think, but he's not good enough at LT for the style of O we run. Especially the style 12 likes to play. We need an ELITE LT, like a potential pro bowler. Doesn't matter what else we fill, if 12 is out and always hurt we have zero chance. This OL needs to be re tooled completely, 2 pass blocking Ts is what I'm looking at with our first 2 picks tbh. Also tossing some money at Andrew Norwell from Carolina, even if we have to make him the highest paid guard theres really no more excuses for having an inadequate OL anymore. Can't afford to wait for another lacerated kidney or torn labrum

1 minute ago, Tmoney said:

I think leverage more then strength would be his biggest issue. He's 315 which is average guard weight and is built very well. Can he handle 350+?? I can't say 4sure yes but his length would allow him to always get in initial punch which is key. He's better then many colts fans think, but he's not good enough at LT for the style of O we run. Especially the style 12 likes to play. We need an ELITE LT, like a potential pro bowler. Doesn't matter what else we fill, if 12 is out and always hurt we have zero chance. This OL needs to be re tooled completely, 2 pass blocking Ts is what I'm looking at with our first 2 picks tbh. Also tossing some money at Andrew Norwell from Carolina, even if we have to make him the highest paid guard theres really no more excuses for having an inadequate OL anymore. Can't afford to wait for another lacerated kidney or torn labrum

The leverage comment is makes sense.

The rest of it, not so much.  The offensive line does not need to be retooled again.  Get a RT(may be Good but someone else)and another guard (possibly Bond) to pair with Mewhort and that is it.  Two more OLBs, ILB, RT and 3WR are all much bigger needs than LT.

13 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Not at his current contract....over the years many with and without football knowledge have felt he is better suited at RT.  I believe he is a slightly above average LT.

Could he move to Guard, yes...at LT money, no.

Idk if I even like him at RT. Run blocking is his biggest strength, pass blocking in space is his biggest weakness. I get your point about the contract, and maybe we can negotiate with him by threatening a cut. But we have the money, what we can't afford is to be stingy with this OL anymore. Use valuable draft currency on it, get a top dollar FA for it. This team isn't going anywhere without a healthy 12. His style of play needs an expensive OL, whether thats literal $s or draft picks or more ideally both. Kelly is the only stud we got, we need 4 more. AC at G could be studly, maybe. Mewhort is solid but his injuries are more then likely going to effect him for his entire career. 

15 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Idk if I even like him at RT. Run blocking is his biggest strength, pass blocking in space is his biggest weakness. I get your point about the contract, and maybe we can negotiate with him by threatening a cut. But we have the money, what we can't afford is to be stingy with this OL anymore. Use valuable draft currency on it, get a top dollar FA for it. This team isn't going anywhere without a healthy 12. His style of play needs an expensive OL, whether thats literal $s or draft picks or more ideally both. Kelly is the only stud we got, we need 4 more. AC at G could be studly, maybe. Mewhort is solid but his injuries are more then likely going to effect him for his entire career. 

His final year of his contract is next season....I don't know if he would sign a cheaper extension and accept a move?  He might want to use next year as a catalyst for his next contract and moving to Guard would cost him cash on the next deal?

Either way, I agree that an upgrade is needed at LT.  Hopefully Indy can address that this off-season?

Edit:  His contract runs through 2019....my bad.  His cap savings next year is 5.2 million.  It is 8.25 million in 2019.

4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The leverage comment is makes sense.

The rest of it, not so much.  The offensive line does not need to be retooled again.  Get a RT(may be Good but someone else)and another guard (possibly Bond) to pair with Mewhort and that is it.  Two more OLBs, ILB, RT and 3WR are all much bigger needs than LT.

I have to disagree my man. This OL IMO is by far our biggest weakness. I'm honestly glad and surprised Brisset didnt end up getting hurt Sunday night becuz no one wants to see Tolzien again haha. I'm not sold on D.Good as a starter at all, but really good depth 4sure. I'm still on the fence about Bond being our back up C let alone starting t G. I've been a Mewhort fan, but his injuries are eating up his career and he doesn't even look like the same player to me anymore. If we keep him thats fine, but its a risk that I personally don't think Ballard takes this offseason. All of those are needs, I'd say 2 WRs, but not before LT imo. Sheard and Simon aren't world beaters but they're solid. ILB is a big need. But outside Ryan Kelly this OL needs work

11 minutes ago, Everyone said:

He needs to stay put until a better option is available, he not an elite LT but he's at least top 15 in his position. O-line is a league wide problem.

Right I agree. I should've put if we draft a LT this year. I like the T prospects coming out this year. Well have a high pick as well so we can get at least 1, I hope 2 Ts.

11 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

neither were caused by the oline

the kidney injury happened on a run, and the shoulder when luck made a tackle 

But that's besides the point my man. No denying he gets hit 40+ times a year. But 2shay your technically right, even though the shoulder was already injured and the tackle made it flair up right? 

8 minutes ago, Everyone said:

He needs to stay put until a better option is available, he not an elite LT but he's at least top 15 in his position. O-line is a league wide problem.

My thoughts exactly.  It is a league wide problem.  Even the top LT draft picks are no sure things.  We are fortunate to have a top 15 LT.  Many teams would love to have Costanzo as their starter. We need to address it in the draft for the future for sure but right now he's our guy and I'm glad he's our LT.  

7 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

His final year of his contract is next season....I don't know if he would sign a cheaper extension and accept a move?  He might want to use next year as a catalyst for his next contract and moving to Guard would cost him cash on the next deal?

Either way, I agree that an upgrade is needed at LT.  Hopefully Indy can address that this off-season?

Yes those added variables would make it interesting. Idk how many teams are breaking the bank for an average at best LT though. For a good G, he might be looking at the same pay day either way. But yes let's upgrade at both T positions and keep 12 out of the turf. Were a team with many needs, but were nothing without a 100% AL12. 

2 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Yes those added variables would make it interesting. Idk how many teams are breaking the bank for an average at best LT though. For a good G, he might be looking at the same pay day either way. But yes let's upgrade at both T positions and keep 12 out of the turf. Were a team with many needs, but were nothing without a 100% AL12. 

Btw...I edited that post.  He is signed through 2019 with cap savings of 5.2 mil next year and 8.25 mil in 2019.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

My thoughts exactly.  It is a league wide problem.  Even the top LT draft picks are no sure things.  We are fortunate to have a top 15 LT.  Many teams would love to have Costanzo as their starter. We need to address it in the draft for the future for sure but right now he's our guy and I'm glad he's our LT.  

Ehhhh, a lot of teams are right there with us sure, but there's also a lot of teams with dam good OLs. No the top prospects are not always sure fire and I'm not saying let's reach on an unworthy LT but if he's the best available on Ballards board or tied with it you have to take him. AC being top 15 is debatable, but he has really strong strengths and really glaring weaknesses and that's not the sign of an elite LT. Our O scheme demands elite pass blocking Ts and that's a weakness of his. I just have to disagree with being satisfied with a good enough LT, the proof is in the pudding that it isn't working. Not all the blame is on him, but your blind side protector is suppose to be your most dominate pass blocker. He's a dominate run blocker

13 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Btw...I edited that post.  He is signed through 2019 with cap savings of 5.2 mil next year and 8.25 mil in 2019.

Ahh so letting him go only to save 5 mil isn't totally worth it. I still say trail and error at G and if he doesn't work out save that 8.25 the year after. Thanks for the info and thoughts my man! Bleed blue

32 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

I have to disagree my man. This OL IMO is by far our biggest weakness. I'm honestly glad and surprised Brisset didnt end up getting hurt Sunday night becuz no one wants to see Tolzien again haha. I'm not sold on D.Good as a starter at all, but really good depth 4sure. I'm still on the fence about Bond being our back up C let alone starting t G. I've been a Mewhort fan, but his injuries are eating up his career and he doesn't even look like the same player to me anymore. If we keep him thats fine, but its a risk that I personally don't think Ballard takes this offseason. All of those are needs, I'd say 2 WRs, but not before LT imo. Sheard and Simon aren't world beaters but they're solid. ILB is a big need. But outside Ryan Kelly this OL needs work

Here is the counter argument.  Luck is being paid as an elite QB and expected to play at that level no?  Then he should be able to elevate the offensive unit around him.  That makes an "average" line more than enough.  And IMO this line is exactly that, Average.  But if you give Luck a defense that allows him to score 20 a game and win, then you'll see Luck not taking so many hits trying to hit the home run every play.  

Just a thought, but IMO if we land a stud ILB, CB and OLB in this next draft the NFL better watch out. 

7 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Here is the counter argument.  Luck is being paid as an elite QB and expected to play at that level no?  Then he should be able to elevate the offensive unit around him.  That makes an "average" line more than enough.  And IMO this line is exactly that, Average.  But if you give Luck a defense that allows him to score 20 a game and win, then you'll see Luck not taking so many hits trying to hit the home run every play.  

Just a thought, but IMO if we land a stud ILB, CB and OLB in this next draft the NFL better watch out. 

I can't argue your D only giving up 20 a game argument, I'll take that all day haha. But here's the counter right cross to your counter lead hook, as elite of a player 12 is his style of play and our O scheme demand time to make plays happen. As the elite player its easy to say, well why doesn't he just adjust to what he has, but its what he does its inbreaded in him. He's not Peyton or Tom, he's not going to dink and dunk you until your D slips up. He going to hold the ball and create time in or out the pocket like Big Ben or Montana. Look how great Ben has been since they invested in that OL and brought in a great OC like Tod Hailey. I'm not saying this D is good enough by any means, but all I'm saying is while we rebuild let's start with the part that keeps 12 off the turf and off the stretcher so he can actually be that elite player. ILB is a huge need as well, I really love the weak side LBs in this draft class. pass rushing still needs improvement, but Sheard and Simon are good and don't need immediate upgrading like the OL. And I'm actually loving how our 2 rookie CBs have played. Wilson had a solid game against Arizona just needs to stay healthy and Nate Hairston holy balls this kid is balling!! Top 10 nickel according to PFF through 4 weeks. Also Rashan Melvin having a career year makes me comfortable letting Davis walk and maybe drafting a CB later. 

2 hours ago, Tmoney said:

I am no fan of this terribly mediocre guy. BUT, i can SPELL his _____ name.
 IF, you need a yard, we have no history of running behind him to get it.  So.... lol. Seeing him matched against stud run stuffing tackles... oh boy.
 Yes, we have Kelly, who i would see best as a guard, and if he could get down to 330, Good at RT, as the only keepers. Haeg isn't a lost cause.
 That is if you wanted to build a really good line.    JMO of course.

50 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

I can't argue your D only giving up 20 a game argument, I'll take that all day haha. But here's the counter right cross to your counter lead hook, as elite of a player 12 is his style of play and our O scheme demand time to make plays happen. As the elite player its easy to say, well why doesn't he just adjust to what he has, but its what he does its inbreaded in him. He's not Peyton or Tom, he's not going to dink and dunk you until your D slips up. He going to hold the ball and create time in or out the pocket like Big Ben or Montana. Look how great Ben has been since they invested in that OL and brought in a great OC like Tod Hailey. I'm not saying this D is good enough by any means, but all I'm saying is while we rebuild let's start with the part that keeps 12 off the turf and off the stretcher so he can actually be that elite player. ILB is a huge need as well, I really love the weak side LBs in this draft class. pass rushing still needs improvement, but Sheard and Simon are good and don't need immediate upgrading like the OL. And I'm actually loving how our 2 rookie CBs have played. Wilson had a solid game against Arizona just needs to stay healthy and Nate Hairston holy balls this kid is balling!! Top 10 nickel according to PFF through 4 weeks. Also Rashan Melvin having a career year makes me comfortable letting Davis walk and maybe drafting a CB later. 

I'll just say if we are content with letting Luck throw bombs all day we are always going to have injury issues with him.  And we've tried the heavily invested Offense before.  And we only got one superbowl in return. I'd like to try something different this time around. 

AC has his worse games against speed rushers.  I think you just have to game plan against them.  The best way to nullify a speed rusher is to use his speed against him.  Screen and shovel passes to the left side will take him completely out of the game on those plays.  Can't do that all game, but go to it until it doesn't work, right?

We should be helping AC with his weaknesses, but I don't think I have ever seen a shovel pass since Andrew's first game (which I believe was his first TD?).  Andrew still has to learn how to *sell* a screen, and Chud doesn't seem to know how too call either of them.

Ultimately, we keep AC right where he is until we get the other aforementioned needs filled.

Just my opinion.

2 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Edit:  His contract runs through 2019....my bad.  His cap savings next year is 5.2 million.  It is 8.25 million in 2019.

I agree that his contract is  too large to flip him to the right side. If this did happen due to the fact that the Colts are flush with 2018 cap money , it IMO , would only be a 1 year move.You could make a case that the 2018 RT position is really costing you around 5 mill as the cap hit is 5.2 mill. So unless you signed a RT in FA that you really liked or drafted one that could play right away , a case could be made to shift him to RT for 2018 and then cut him in 2019. 

That said , I think we either sign a talented Tackle or draft one with a high pick. Not out of the question that maybe both happen.

Let's all just wait and see what the team looks like at full strength. Getting Kelly and Luck back might help quite a bit. Let the line settle down a bit. Also Jacoby holds onto the ball even longer than Andrew...so hopefully we see the ball get out quicker. The line is pretty inconsistent....but I think it can be serviceable once they play at full strength and everyone settle into their roles. I think Costanzo is a tackle...whether he ends up at right tackle down the line or stays at left he seems ideal size and feet to stay at tackle. He hasn't improved since his big contract which is kinda sad to see but he is more than serviceable compared to what else is out there around the league. I watched KC last night and even that line was getting mauled pretty good. Its just a common theme throughout the league...good tackles are hard to come by.

If we’d fix the right side of our line. Put JM right back at LG them watch ACastanzo improve. His problem isn’t speed rushers. It’s getting beat inside by getting over powered or a spin move inside. I’ve been saying for years that guy wasn’t good. I hate seeing these threads now because I brought these facts about him up 3-4 years ago. Then he started playing better once JM got here to cover up his mistakes 

4 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

San Francisco will make him look better than he is.  He's serviceable, not a stud.  Things will die down a bit after having a great game vs. San Fran.

Don't bet on it.  SF has some of the best young lineman in the league. Buckner is a stud, and Thomas has been dominating lately.

C'mon Anthony Castonzo is a LT. He has been a LT since his sophomore season at BC. He's not moving to RT or G.

We would cut AC before he switched positions. LT's are not easy to find and there aren't 30 in the league better than AC. It's that simple. 

He is an average LT that's ready to go every Sunday. That's not as easy to find as you think. 

21 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I am no fan of this terribly mediocre guy. BUT, i can SPELL his _____ name.
 IF, you need a yard, we have no history of running behind him to get it.  So.... lol. Seeing him matched against stud run stuffing tackles... oh boy.
 Yes, we have Kelly, who i would see best as a guard, and if he could get down to 330, Good at RT, as the only keepers. Haeg isn't a lost cause.
 That is if you wanted to build a really good line.    JMO of course.

But when do we run outside our tackles? Almost never, if you need a yard why would you run a stretch? I get you though and might seem far fetched but with his strength and proven run blocking track record I don't think its impossible. Kelly is a C to me, Good is okay bit I'd prefer him as depth, and Haeg had himself a terrible terrible game against Seattle. Your opinion is appreciated!

21 hours ago, Surge89 said:

I'll just say if we are content with letting Luck throw bombs all day we are always going to have injury issues with him.  And we've tried the heavily invested Offense before.  And we only got one superbowl in return. I'd like to try something different this time around. 

Not saying that, but 12 will go through all of his progression instead of throwing the ball away or checking it down. Our O scheme needs tweaks we need more quick hitters, but Lucks ganna Luck at the end of the day. I'd like to make another Superbowl run, with a healthy 12! Thanks for the feedback

21 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

AC has his worse games against speed rushers.  I think you just have to game plan against them.  The best way to nullify a speed rusher is to use his speed against him.  Screen and shovel passes to the left side will take him completely out of the game on those plays.  Can't do that all game, but go to it until it doesn't work, right?

We should be helping AC with his weaknesses, but I don't think I have ever seen a shovel pass since Andrew's first game (which I believe was his first TD?).  Andrew still has to learn how to *sell* a screen, and Chud doesn't seem to know how too call either of them.

Ultimately, we keep AC right where he is until we get the other aforementioned needs filled.

Just my opinion.

100% agree he's struggles against speed. Chud is just straight awful, id love to see all those things you mentioned incorporated in our O but he's just not a good enough OC to call them or call them at the right time. We should help AC, so pump him inside to where he doesn't have to deal with the freak athletes. We keep him where he's at for now, but if we take a T round 1 hypothetically then I say its worth a try. Thanks for the thoughts!

19 hours ago, dgambill said:

Let's all just wait and see what the team looks like at full strength. Getting Kelly and Luck back might help quite a bit. Let the line settle down a bit. Also Jacoby holds onto the ball even longer than Andrew...so hopefully we see the ball get out quicker. The line is pretty inconsistent....but I think it can be serviceable once they play at full strength and everyone settle into their roles. I think Costanzo is a tackle...whether he ends up at right tackle down the line or stays at left he seems ideal size and feet to stay at tackle. He hasn't improved since his big contract which is kinda sad to see but he is more than serviceable compared to what else is out there around the league. I watched KC last night and even that line was getting mauled pretty good. Its just a common theme throughout the league...good tackles are hard to come by.

Fair enough, my thinking is more towards if we decide to add a stud T or Ts through the draft kick him in. He has pretty good feet for a T, but he'd have excellent length and feet for a G. I'm honestly tired of having a "serviceable" or "good enough" OL, which its really not. Clearly its not working, yes our QBs hold the ball so why not acomodate them instead of forcing them to change their style. KCs OL is ehhh, but they drafted their LT #1 overall and paid Schwartz hella money. We can't sit back watching Luck get killed and say, well he holds the ball too long, were decent enough up front. Let's at least do something. Thanks for the feedback my man

20 hours ago, a06cc said:

If we’d fix the right side of our line. Put JM right back at LG them watch ACastanzo improve. His problem isn’t speed rushers. It’s getting beat inside by getting over powered or a spin move inside. I’ve been saying for years that guy wasn’t good. I hate seeing these threads now because I brought these facts about him up 3-4 years ago. Then he started playing better once JM got here to cover up his mistakes 

Well, the speed rush sets up both of those techniques but I get what your saying. I don't see him getting bull rushed or over powered much at all by anyone. He also struggles with athletic edges who can chop his hands and bend the corner( Chandler Jones killed him with it week 2). Jack had so much promise before the injuries man, it breaks my heart to say this but I don't think we bring him back. This knee injury has lasted 3 years now, they might not all be related but he's compensating for something. Its looking like a career thing, and he hasn't been the same player this year.