Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard Interview - Colts Roundtable

DaveA1102

Apologies if there is already a thread on this, but couldn't see any.

Ballard did an interview with Bob Lamey on Colts Roundtable and some highlights below:

Says you are only as good as your record, and we are a 1-3 team.

Played as well as he has seen in first half in Seattle, but, in his words, "melted down" in 2nd half and need to figure out how to play 60 minutes.

Highlighted Hooker and Hairston as players who have impressed him so far, as well as Wilson in his snaps. 

Hopes to see Grover Stewart getting more reps and starting to see that now.

Called out Basham big time, saying he needs to get better and contribute more.  Strong words.

Talks up Sanchez, says he has the potential to be really special.

Mentioned they were not actively looking to get rid of Dorsett during off season, but opportunity came up to get Jacoby and he and his team had scouted him heavily in KC and really liked him.  One thing that stood out about him has always been his poise.  Was always able to step in at NE and win ball games during any situation.

On Luck, Ballard has watched him throw and he "looks real good".  Getting strength back up to where it needs to be and will practice this week (as covered elsewhere).

Apologies for sporadic notes, was typing this up as listening! I would make a terrible reporter! haha

Link to Roundtable Audio:

http://www.colts.com/videos/audio/10-2-Colts-Roundtable-Live---First-Quarter-Thoughts-Audio/f80c9d34-edb3-4fbe-9ff3-722f141695c8

I think Grover needs to play more as well.   He gets good push into the backfield. My only issue with him right now is it seems he needs to work on his ability to find the ball carrier.  He'll get the necessary push and the ball carrier will run right by him.  I noticed that in preseason and I saw it against Seattle.  I'm assuming more playing time and honing in on the details should fix that. 

Basham has looked lost for the most part...and ineffective...but its a HUUGGGEE leap from where he was playing in college to NFL. I'm not shocked to see him struggle in his first year. If Hairston, Wilson, Green, Melvin, and Hooker continue to grow I think it spells the end of the Davis/Butler era. Its a big IF but I don't think they will spend more money in that secondary when we are starting to see cracks in the offense now and especially the OL being the major concern.

32 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Ballard was pretty blunt regarding Basham.  He is not where he needs to be and has to get better.  

It was good to hear him say what we were all thinking.  

Has not been common in Indy for someone on our staff to so boldly call out a player like he did.  Lets Basham know exactly where he is.

26 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Ballard picked Basham before the RB Hunt. Pretty big whiff

Still young and inexperienced.  I wouldn't call it a whiff yet.  Hunt has a much better line than our backs do so its hard to say he would be as good here.  

Never know when the light will come on for Basham, maybe never, but its too early to be giving up on him.

4 hours ago, krunk said:

I think Grover needs to play more as well.   He gets good push into the backfield. My only issue with him right now is it seems he needs to work on his ability to find the ball carrier.  He'll get the necessary push and the ball carrier will run right by him.  I noticed that in preseason and I saw it against Seattle.  I'm assuming more playing time and honing in on the details should fix that. 

Grover has the physical tools to make a positive impact.  He really needs to learn how to use his hands better.  He lets the Olinemen get into his chest too easily, once he learns to hand fight better, he will be able to use his athleticism to make plays.

Basham has the talent but he doesn't look at this point like he's taking the coaching that's being given to him.  Still seeing the same rush moves and mistakes being made.  Too early to call a whiff but just an early observation. 

5 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Hunt is playing on a well-oiled machine in KC with a very good OL and a balanced offensive attack.

Our OL is banged up, we've been rotated back-up QBs, etc. etc... Hunt would not look anywhere near as good in our system as he's looking in KC's system.

Mack has impressed me when given the opportunity, for the most part.  Unfortunately, not many RBs (if any) in this league would look very good if they played on our team.

I think everyone pretty much knew Basham was a project pick -- he's got to improve very quick, but it isn't time to write him off just yet.  Mathis, a small school guy like Basham, had 3.5 sacks as a rookie used mostly in a rotational role.

10 hours ago, krunk said:

unless he has no vision

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

THe questia few years go byon is whether Ballard gives him 2 or 3 years.  Hairston, Wilson and Hooker all have shown great flashes and I wouldn't say that being a rookie CB in the NFL is easy.   

most cant start untill a few years go by

7 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Hunt was the 86th pick.    Do you know how many other picks were "whiffs"?!?

I'll do the math for you...   the number would be 85.   Hunt looks like the offensive rookie of the year.

Everybody is a genius (even you) with the benefit of hindsight.