Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck will be practicing this week (merge)

RockThatBlue

It's already been said before but another reason I wouldn't be surprised about him having to get in 3-4 weeks of practice is partly because he's not gonna take a ton of reps away from Brissett right at first.

Possibly just light work this week, maybe start to really split reps with Brissett next week, and then a good week or two of him getting a good majority of the reps. So accounting for that along with just the whole refamiliarizing himself with throwing in a game situation again, 3-4 weeks doesn't seem too unlikely.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

My worry is the expectation level. Luck is expected to trot out onto the field and win immediately in a flawed offense with a shaky O-line (hopefully Kelly helps but still holes) and receivers who are posted missing in 75% of our games.

You always hope Andrew's influence on the team mentally will be a factor but how much can we really expect from him when he needs time to settle back into the offense when we come up against the Titans, Texans and Jags who are finding their flow (some more than others).

I think Andrew's greatest influence on the game will be his ability to audible out of "run up the gut on 1st" when he sees 11 players, plus the coaching staff and water boys in the box.  I would have to think his on-field vision (ability to pick up blitzes, etc) is better than Brissett's, which *should* be a major factor as well.

From what little I have seen, I think the ability to scramble out of the pocket is very similar between them, and arm strength is probably slightly better in Luck.

Where I wish Luck would learn from Brissett is where you see the emotion on the sidelines.  You couldn't help but see the fire in Brissett's gut after the pick 6.  I know I'm asking a leopard to change its spots, but I wish Andrew would have a bit of that in him.

2 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I think Andrew's greatest influence on the game will be his ability to audible out of "run up the gut on 1st" when he sees 11 players, plus the coaching staff and water boys in the box.  I would have to think his on-field vision (ability to pick up blitzes, etc) is better than Brissett's, which *should* be a major factor as well.

From what little I have seen, I think the ability to scramble out of the pocket is very similar between them, and arm strength is probably slightly better in Luck.

Where I wish Luck would learn from Brissett is where you see the emotion on the sidelines.  You couldn't help but see the fire in Brissett's gut after the pick 6.  I know I'm asking a leopard to change its spots, but I wish Andrew would have a bit of that in him.

I agree. Andrew has gotten mad before on the sidelines but I've rarely if ever seen him getting his teammates hyped in the way that Brissett was trying to. There's nothing with the way Luck motivates or talks to his teammates, but it would be refreshing to see him have a little more fire on the sidelines.

Not sure I totally agree that Luck doesn't show emotion/get his teammates hyped up. Sure, guys like Brady and Rivers do a distinctive freak out. But I can remember lots of times where Luck has done most versions of hyping up imagineable, and by all accounts from teammates he does successfully hype them up in his own way.

So sometimes it's more measured but there have been lots of times where he's seemed really fired up.

20 minutes ago, Restored said:

I agree. Andrew has gotten mad before on the sidelines but I've rarely if ever seen him getting his teammates hyped in the way that Brissett was trying to. There's nothing with the way Luck motivates or talks to his teammates, but it would be refreshing to see him have a little more fire on the sidelines.

Ummm.....

23.gif

36 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Some really good points MB, but I don't know if you want to ask Andrew to become a yelling and screaming guy when that is not what he is.  From what I have seen, he is the ultimate professional and craves victory more than anyone else in the locker room, and I would hope the team will (as I think they have previously) feed off this and want to win for him based on who he is.  There are plenty of great leaders who have done it this way.

Not sure the team would buy into Andrew being more emotional when its not what they have been used to in the past.  They know what he expects of them.

3 hours ago, Restored said:

He's still likely two to three weeks away and will be coming back to a team that is still deeply flawed. It's hard for me to get excited about it honestly.

It's always been a deeply flawed team and yet he's lead it to wins.  

The biggest thing to keep in mind is that I expect him to be somewhat rusty and not at 100% when he finally does step back onto the field.  

So I would caution against the idea that he is going to come and save our season at this point.  

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

It's always been a deeply flawed team and yet he's lead it to wins.  

The biggest thing to keep in mind is that I expect him to be somewhat rusty and not at 100% when he finally does step back onto the field.  

So I would caution against the idea that he is going to come and save our season at this point.  

He does lead them to wins but as you said, he will likely be rusty for a period of time and I don't expect him to save the season either considering this team is already 1-3 and still has many other issues to address.

18 minutes ago, Restored said:

Again, those instances are few and far between. But go ahead and think one instance proves your point.

200w.gif

heres another one.....not on sidelines and end of game but still he shows emotion and fire at times!

9 minutes ago, GOZER said:

200w.gif

heres another one.....not on sidelines and end of game but still he shows emotion and fire at times!

You're confusing on-field celebrations with some of the things that MB and myself were referring to. I never assumed Luck was some unemotional stiff either.

2 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

aTlzw9.gif

lucksafety.gif

This is how you used to be able to see the Fire after he threw a pick 6, prob not so much anymore after shoulder surgery:Cry:

titans-35.png  Titans | Tennessee works out several quarterbacks    Tue Oct 3, 12:27 PM

Free-agent QBs Brandon Weeden, Matt Barkley, Matt McGloin and T.J. Yates worked out for the Tennessee Titans on Tuesday, Oct. 3, according to a source.

Link to story
T.J. Yates player page
Matt Barkley player page
Brandon Weeden player page
Matt McGloin player page

Mariota may possibly  not even be available when we play the Titans 

1 minute ago, Restored said:

You're confusing on-field celebrations with some of the things that MB and myself were referring to. I never assumed Luck was some unemotional stiff either.

No I understand what you mean, I know I've seen other occurrences of him getting guys hyped up on sidelines. I would say that celebration is also meant to get his teammates hyped as well, IDK. You're right though probably not too many times because he's too hard on himself and always takes the blame even if he is working with a sub-par offensive line. JMO. He is his own worst enemy IMO.

1 minute ago, GOZER said:

No I understand what you mean, I know I've seen other occurrences of him getting guys hyped up on sidelines. I would say that celebration is also meant to get his teammates hyped as well, IDK. You're right though probably not too many times because he's too hard on himself and always takes the blame even if he is working with a sub-par offensive line. JMO. He is his own worst enemy IMO.

Yeah there are a few other times where he has displayed fire and emotion on the sidelines with teammates but its just rare to see with him. Again, it's not a bad thing but just something I think myself and other people wouldn't mind seeing more often.

20 minutes ago, krunk said:

titans-35.png  Titans | Tennessee works out several quarterbacks    Tue Oct 3, 12:27 PM

Free-agent QBs Brandon Weeden, Matt Barkley, Matt McGloin and T.J. Yates worked out for the Tennessee Titans on Tuesday, Oct. 3, according to a source.

Link to story
T.J. Yates player page
Matt Barkley player page
Matt McGloin player page

I just read his injury is minor and the team was going to decide on him or Cassell for this Sunday at the Dolphins.  I'd bet he's back vs the Colts, I could be wrong though.  If he's not that would be unfortunate but good for the Colts.  Cassell may have gotten hurt too?  Maybe that's why they are looking at another back up?

https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2017/10/3/16407058/tennessee-titans-podcast-good-news-on-marcus-mariota-nfl

36 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I just read his injury is minor and the team was going to decide on him or Cassell for this Sunday at the Dolphins.  I'd bet he's back vs the Colts, I could be wrong though.  If he's not that would be unfortunate but good for the Colts.  Cassell may have gotten hurt too?  Maybe that's why they are looking at another back up?

https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2017/10/3/16407058/tennessee-titans-podcast-good-news-on-marcus-mariota-nfl

I feel like if he couldn't even finish the game and they are looking for backups it could linger on for another week or so.  We've had guys on team where it's lasted that long. 

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

I feel like if he couldn't even finish the game and they are looking for backups it could linger on for another week or so.  We've had guys on team where it's lasted that long. 

Got ya.  They did sign Weeden, so I guess we'll see.  He did say he felt something pop, which can't be good. 

2 hours ago, Restored said:

He does lead them to wins but as you said, he will likely be rusty for a period of time and I don't expect him to save the season either considering this team is already 1-3 and still has many other issues to address.

Best post I have read this year !!!!!!!!!!! And DEAD ON ACCURATE........If he reads this board and see how many fans seem to want him to be this seasons savior he will play so dang hard {behind a offensive line I DO NOT TRUST) that he will EXTRA EFFORT himself back to the IR !!!!!!!!!!..By the time he comes back this season probably will not be savable so lets not demand that of him......PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Got ya.  They did sign Weeden, so I guess we'll see.  He did say he felt something pop, which can't be good. 

Yeah I mean look at how long it took Vontae last year when that happened.   Look how long it's taken Chester Rogers.   If this was a normal hamstring pull I think they probably wouldn't be doing what they are doing now.   Things could change but I wouldn't be surprised if Mariota missed the Colts game as well. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Link to story
T.J. Yates player page
Matt Barkley player page
Matt McGloin player page

when did Mariota get hurt?

5 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Peyton was quoted - “You’re somewhat in the unknown a little bit. To think you can just parachute in there on Sunday into the new stadium on the day of the Bears game and think you’re ready to go is ridiculous."  This was a knee recovery, just imagine a throwing shoulder!

“Obviously I’m going to need some time.’’  So too will it be with Andrew Luck.  This is also why he needs to get game reps this year. As long as we can keep him from any more injuries.

Don't underestimate the importance of a knee to throwing. Not many people know, but 80% of all throw power comes from the torso turning and back foot coming forward. The shoulder is still a huge part, but I'd say since Luck has already been throwing a bit, he'll be similar to Peyton in terms of progress per game. 

28 minutes ago, krunk said:

Yeah I mean look at how long it took Vontae last year when that happened.   Look how long it's taken Chester Rogers.   If this was a normal hamstring pull I think they probably wouldn't be doing what they are doing now.   Things could change but I wouldn't be surprised if Mariota missed the Colts game as well. 

I agree.  I think Jerrell Freeman had a similar injury with the Colts a few years back too.  It seems to linger pending on the severity. 

5 hours ago, krunk said:

Link to story
T.J. Yates player page
Matt Barkley player page
Matt McGloin player page

i expect them to release tolzien, once AL is ready for prime-time.  Maybe the titans will sign Tolzien.  We could win that one for sure!  

1 minute ago, Fluke_33 said:

i expect them to release tolzien, once AL is ready for prime-time.  Maybe the titans will sign Tolzien.  We could win that one for sure!  

They already have Tolzien.  his name is Matt Cassel.  LOL