Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 Free Agent Class

15 minutes ago, KB said:

I think Isaiah Crowell is someone we should pursue this offseason. That would help us not be in need of a high or mid round pick on a RB and take a late flyer on someone who might develop. Evaluate and see if we need someone else next offseason.

I like the thought but would hope for someone other than Crowell.  I personally have never been a huge fan of him.  He is way to vanilla for me.  Just my thoughts though.  A Carlos Hyde type guy would be awesome imo.

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Really want Landry on the Colts to go alongside Hilton and give Luck a premier slot WR. 

https://www.inquisitr.com/opinion/4609906/indianapolis-colts-jarvis-landry-would-be-an-ideal-offeason-target/

Landry would be a great addition but I have a hard time in seeing the Dolphins just letting him walk with nothing in return.  He is another big time player who will most likely be franchised if they can't get a deal done unless he really pulls a Vontae type scenario, not necessarily an injury either,  and makes it so unlikely for any kind of contract extension. 

12 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I like the thought but would hope for someone other than Crowell.  I personally have never been a huge fan of him.  He is way to vanilla for me.  Just my thoughts though.  A Carlos Hyde type guy would be awesome imo.

I wouldnt mind either of them. Not really looking for the next superstar back just someone to pound between the tackles for positive yard. I do agree that Hyde has more intensity to him and could lead the backfield.

I feel like unless we want to spend a higher pick on a back like Chubb, or hope for one to fall, then we need to spend some of our money on a FA rb. Nothing to big just a modest amount but easy to walk away from.

1 minute ago, KB said:

I wouldnt mind either of them. Not really looking for the next superstar back just someone to pound between the tackles for positive yard. I do agree that Hyde has more intensity to him and could lead the backfield.

I feel like unless we want to spend a higher pick on a back like Chubb, or hope for one to fall, then we need to spend some of our money on a FA rb. Nothing to big just a modest amount but easy to walk away from.

I think there will be some good RB's who hit the market and the money will not be huge for them.  Also, there will be some good RB's in the draft that go in the mid rounds like 4-6.  This is a loaded position this year.  Grab one in the 4th or 5th and you are not paying much money at all.

9 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

How many are you hoping for out of this list?  Assuming all hit the market.

I think we have 92m or something high like that in cap. (could be wrong, saw that number on here somewhere), but Landry/Gordon, Pugh, and Lawrence I'd say theoretically speaking would be great pickups

7 minutes ago, Boomstick1 said:

I think we have 92m or something high like that in cap. (could be wrong, saw that number on here somewhere), but Landry/Gordon, Pugh, and Lawrence I'd say theoretically speaking would be great pickups

I would be happy with Pugh and Landry if they hit the market.  We are now going to have to pay Melvin and Desir big contracts and a few of our other one year FA signings. 

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I would be happy with Pugh and Landry if they hit the market.  We are now going to have to pay Melvin and Desir big contracts and a few of our other one year FA signings. 

I wouldn't say either of Melvin or Desir will demand big contracts. They haven't proven to be pro bowl players in their career ever so more average contracts is my guess.

15 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I wouldn't say either of Melvin or Desir will demand big contracts. They haven't proven to be pro bowl players in their career ever so more average contracts is my guess.

Here is where we can agree to disagree.  I'm expecting them both to play great the rest of the way.  If so they will be highly coveted in FA.  I think Ballard is going to have to pay them both more than just average contracts.  Both are showing they can be lock down corners.  And we currently have both of them.  We can't let young talent walk away. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Here is where we can agree to disagree.  I'm expecting them both to play great the rest of the way.  If so they will be highly coveted in FA.  I think Ballard is going to have to pay them both more than just average contracts.  Both are showing they can be lock down corners.  And we currently have both of them.  We can't let young talent walk away. 

I am curious of what you are considering as a big contract?  Morris Claiborne finally had a good year and in FA last year got a 1yr/5mil contract.  Amukamara got 1yr/7mil.  The highest was Bouye with 5yr/67.5mil.  

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

I am curious of what you are considering as a big contract?  Morris Claiborne finally had a good year and in FA last year got a 1yr/5mil contract.  Amukamara got 1yr/7mil.  The highest was Bouye with 5yr/67.5mil.  

I'm not knowledgeable on contracts but I can see them getting 3-5 yr deals.  I don't think they will have to settle for one yr. contracts.  I think the demand will be there for their services.  Probably averaging 9-12 M if I had to "guess".   Ballard will figure it out.  They're young and entering their peak years.  I think he will have to pay them to keep them.  Fortunately he has the cap space.  

14 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I'm not knowledgeable on contracts but I can see them getting 3-5 yr deals.  I don't think they will have to settle for one yr. contracts.  I think the demand will be there for their services.  Probably averaging 9-12 M if I had to "guess".   Ballard will figure it out.  They're young and entering their peak years.  I think he will have to pay them to keep them.  Fortunately he has the cap space.  

We do have the cap space but I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the smaller contracts they end up getting, either from us or another team.  Every year you have your big guys who command the money, and then you have the lower tiers who get much smaller contracts than anticipated (most of the time one year deals) because money is getting tight for teams.  Trumaine Johnson, Johnathan Joseph, Justin Bethel, Malcolm Butler, these guys will be the focus for the money.

On 11/10/2017 at 10:48 PM, Boomstick1 said:

My wishlist:

Le'Veon Bell

Jarvis Landry

Josh Gordon

Alshon Jeffrey

Justin Pugh

Demarcus Lawrence/Ansah

Zach Brown

Trumaine Johnson

Yeah, with all the cap space we have nothing wrong with wanting a couple of star players in the mix.  But you really have to aim lower then bringing in the all star free agent class.

And I wouldn't touch Josh Gordon with a 10 foot poll unless his deal was extremely small with no guaranteed money.  We could hand him 30 million dollars and he could go smoke himself out of the NFL again.  

Not to mention the fact that he hasn't played in forever.  

On 15/11/2017 at 12:35 PM, Valpo2004 said:

Yeah, with all the cap space we have nothing wrong with wanting a couple of star players in the mix.  But you really have to aim lower then bringing in the all star free agent class.

And I wouldn't touch Josh Gordon with a 10 foot poll unless his deal was extremely small with no guaranteed money.  We could hand him 30 million dollars and he could go smoke himself out of the NFL again.  

Not to mention the fact that he hasn't played in forever.  

Also not a certainty that Gordon will actually hit free agency. IIRC he is technically a RFA at the end of the year. If Cleveland wants him they can tender him for next to nothing.