Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 Free Agent Class

2 hours ago, lance_m8 said:

Who are you guys interested in and hoping we bring in? Personally I say give Trumaine Johnson whatever he wants just make sure he has a horseshoe on his helmet next year.

I believe Trumaine Johnson is more of a zone corner than a man or press corner.

Not sure that fits what Ballard wants....   though I guess it depends on who the next coach is...    but I think Ballard will want a press corner....

I'll take the bait. Trumaine Johnson, DeMarcus Lawrence, Justin Pugh. Depending on what happens with Moncrief, WR may be a need. Jarvis Landry would be nice or maybe Allen Robinson on a one year prove it deal since he's coming off a knee injury. Those would be the top guys on the market at areas of need IMO.

What we do know is the Colts will have 72 M in cap space and will lead the league in cap space this off-season.  Only Mewhort I would say is a must re-sign player of the players who will be Unrestricted Free Agents.

Colts should be very active in free agency and try to pick up filler players at multiple positions.  

In the 2018 Free Agency predictions I posted my wishlist which I am pasting here.

RB: Hyde - 2 years 8 M - 2 M Guranteed  

G: Extend Mewhort - 4 years/36 M - 10 M Guaranteed, Xavier Sua-Filo - 3 years 14 M - 4 M Guaranteed

WR: Watkins 3 Years 18 M - 5 M Guaranteed

ILB Kevin Minter 3 years 15 M - 5 M guaranteed, Exend Bostic - 2 years 3.5 M - .75 guaranteed

CB: Malcom Butler 3 years 35 M - 12 M Guaranteed

K: Prater 3 years 10.5M - 5 M Guaranteed

72.8 Cap space

-4 M - (Hyde)

-9 M - (Mewhort)

-4.6M - (Sua-Filo)

-6M - (Watkins)

-5M - (Minter)

-1.75 (Bostic)

-11.6M - (Butler)

-3.5 (Prater)

27.35 M in Cap Space remaining

- .6 M (Swoope -ERFA)

-.54 M (Edwin Jackson - ERFA)

26.21 M in Cap space remaining

19 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I would also add in Telvin Smith, the LB for Jacksonville. A little undersized for a 3-4 but he would be a great fit for the nickel package which we have been playing over 60% of the time anyways.

I love Telvin Smith as a player, just wonder if he'd fit this defense or not. If the new coaches and Ballard think he would smoothly transition into the 3-4, then I would be all for getting him. Indy needs more playmakers from their LB core. 

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I love Telvin Smith as a player, just wonder if he'd fit this defense or not. If the new coaches and Ballard think he would smoothly transition into the 3-4, then I would be all for getting him. Indy needs more playmakers from their LB core. 

Yeah, he may not fit the prototype of a base 3-4 D but with the way offenses are trending and the requirements of playmakers in sub packages, I think he could be an ideal fit for a coverage LB. If Deone Buchanan and Mark Barron can fit in a 3-4 I think this dude could as well. If Geathers can return to play, he and this dude as the Nickel linebackers would be a substantial improvement in covering backs and tight ends.

12 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Idk who's available but we need to drop money on the O-line

It will likely be very bad group. Quite possibly the worst O-line FA class this decade.

Nate Solder is the only starting caliber tackle that has his contract expiring this year and he's been terrible so far to start the season.

Mewhort, Pugh, Kline (from TEN), Omameh and Norwell are the only real starting caliber guards projected to be FAs that aren't over 30. Pugh is the only guy I'd rank in the top 20 among all guards in the NFL. Maybe Norwell if he has really good year.

13 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Idk who's available but we need to drop money on the O-line

As Finball said, the OL class in free agency is pretty poor. I'd rather spend money in free agency on defense, and then in the draft get plenty of help at OT and at pass rush. 

Well. Best case. Sign Justin Pugh. Castanzo plays like a stud with Pugh next to him. Then sign Lawrence. Lawrence puts up 15 sacks, sign Jeffery for 4-5 years. We have a true number 1, height weight speed, 6'3 WR and sign one of the best corners in the class. Don't know who's a FA other than Tru.. Get Arden Key RD1. A great day 1 starting ILB RD2, then whatever we still need and BPA. Key is gonna be a star from week 1. 4 big money signings. Pugh, Jeffery, Lawrence, and the best corner we can sign. Pair that with young guys improving, and the rest of the draft and we're a top 5 team. Luck with that OL. Throwing to Alshon Jeffery, TY, and Crief. Then Doyle. Yeah. Then Lawrence, Key, Simon, and Sheard we'd be loaded with edge rushers. We'd probably lead the league in sacks. Lockdown corners and 15 sack a year edge rushers is what I want !!! Key can be a top 3 edge rusher in the entire NFL. Hopefully we can just let Davis go. Sign a better, younger corner to pair with Wilson and Hairston. We have our 1-3. Then draft a corner pretty early. By the 4th and bring Melvin back. May as well load up with all the money we'll have. 

On 10/14/2017 at 8:51 AM, COLTS449 said:

Well. Best case. Sign Justin Pugh. Castanzo plays like a stud with Pugh next to him. Then sign Lawrence. Lawrence puts up 15 sacks, sign Jeffery for 4-5 years. We have a true number 1, height weight speed, 6'3 WR and sign one of the best corners in the class. Don't know who's a FA other than Tru.. Get Arden Key RD1. A great day 1 starting ILB RD2, then whatever we still need and BPA. Key is gonna be a star from week 1. 4 big money signings. Pugh, Jeffery, Lawrence, and the best corner we can sign. Pair that with young guys improving, and the rest of the draft and we're a top 5 team. Luck with that OL. Throwing to Alshon Jeffery, TY, and Crief. Then Doyle. Yeah. Then Lawrence, Key, Simon, and Sheard we'd be loaded with edge rushers. We'd probably lead the league in sacks. Lockdown corners and 15 sack a year edge rushers is what I want !!! Key can be a top 3 edge rusher in the entire NFL. Hopefully we can just let Davis go. Sign a better, younger corner to pair with Wilson and Hairston. We have our 1-3. Then draft a corner pretty early. By the 4th and bring Melvin back. May as well load up with all the money we'll have. 

I'd rather have Sammy Watkins if he gets out of LA.  He's 3 and a half years younger then Jeffrey.  Jeffery is going to be 28 by the time next season rolls around.  Watkins will be 25.  

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

IMO Ballard it not going to sign a bunch of free agents. He is building through the draft so even bringing up a lot of these high priced free agents is something the Colts are not interested in.

We cant just sit on the cap space we have though. We almost have to get 1-2 high priced guys just to eat up some of 70M or so we will be sitting on. 

I wouldnt be surpised to see us make another play for Jeffery or another higher priced WR. Have to hope for a decent O lineman and an ILB as well, although i dont see many worth breaking the bank for. Probably make a run at a CB if Davis/Melvin walk as well. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

IMO Ballard it not going to sign a bunch of free agents. He is building through the draft so even bringing up a lot of these high priced free agents is something the Colts are not interested in.

Maybe not a bunch of free agents, but I think a high value FA OL should be a top priority.   They should also consider drafting at least one OL high in the draft (or two), but they can't wait to build the OL only through the draft.  Especially due to the uncertainty with Mewhort.

Castonzo's eventual replacement will likely come from the draft in the next year or two (even if he starts elsewhere on the line before replacing Anthony).  I don't think Clark is that person.

#Protect12

46 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

Maybe not a bunch of free agents, but I think a high value FA OL should be a top priority.   They should also consider drafting at least one OL high in the draft (or two), but they can't wait to build the OL only through the draft.  Especially due to the uncertainty with Mewhort.

Castonzo's eventual replacement will likely come from the draft in the next year or two (even if he starts elsewhere on the line before replacing Anthony).  I don't think Clark is that person.

#Protect12

Agreed. I think basically at this point, we cannot count on Mewhort being healthy again. Even though he's an above average NFL starting guard when healthy, if he can't be counted on to be healthy then I'd only sign him back on a relatively short and cheap contract. 

I think I'd look to add a starting caliber O-lineman in free agency and also look to find a lineman capable of being a day 1 starter in the draft. We have no guards currently on our roster for 2018 who are of starting caliber and we have 3 right tackles in Clark, Haeg, and Good who are basically all 3 JAGs. I think we need to add 2 guards (perhaps 1 in free agency and one in the draft) and at least consider adding another tackle. However the free agent market for tackle is terrible and I'd only add one in the draft if it was someone who would confidently be better than Good/Haeg/Clark from day 1 as depth isn't the issue at RT - quality is.  It's a pretty strong draft for guards, you've got guys like Quenton Nelson and Will Hernandez who look rock solid. 

1 hour ago, Track Guy said:

Agreed. I think basically at this point, we cannot count on Mewhort being healthy again. Even though he's an above average NFL starting guard when healthy, if he can't be counted on to be healthy then I'd only sign him back on a relatively short and cheap contract. 

I think I'd look to add a starting caliber O-lineman in free agency and also look to find a lineman capable of being a day 1 starter in the draft. We have no guards currently on our roster for 2018 who are of starting caliber and we have 3 right tackles in Clark, Haeg, and Good who are basically all 3 JAGs. I think we need to add 2 guards (perhaps 1 in free agency and one in the draft) and at least consider adding another tackle. However the free agent market for tackle is terrible and I'd only add one in the draft if it was someone who would confidently be better than Good/Haeg/Clark from day 1 as depth isn't the issue at RT - quality is.  It's a pretty strong draft for guards, you've got guys like Quenton Nelson and Will Hernandez who look rock solid. 

Starting caliber O-linemen very rarely even becomes available. If they are even close to being good or great they are resigned because of the rarity of good ones available.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Starting caliber O-linemen very rarely even becomes available. If they are even close to being good or great they are resigned because of the rarity of good ones available.

They're rare, but they do hit the market. See Kevin Zeitler and T.J. Lang last year, or even a guy like Ronald Leary. There are a few guards who are in contract years that could hit the market like Andrew Norwell, Justin Pugh, or if you think slightly cheaper than those guys Chris Hubbard is respectable. 

2 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Tis better to build the bulk of the team via the draft.  It will be a long, slow, painful process that none of us really wants to go though, but that is the best way to do it......for long-term success.

That's true you want to try to get your core guys through the draft.  

On the other hand the Colts have 72 M in cap space available after this year and it has to be spent someplace.  

4 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Tis better to build the bulk of the team via the draft.  It will be a long, slow, painful process that none of us really wants to go though, but that is the best way to do it......for long-term success.

Yes build and use cap for your own guys (hopefully you draft well) and a few FA players to fill spots.  Good teams go this route.

On 10/22/2017 at 10:16 PM, Colt Overseas said:

An idea, if we want to add a quality day 1 offensive lineman, could be to trade Jacoby Brissett to a team. Although I would prefer to get a high pick for him.

Brissett has does nothing to garner a high draft pick. Only a few delusional Colts fans think he will at the moment. The JC kool-aid is tainted at the moment.

12 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

That's true you want to try to get your core guys through the draft.  

On the other hand the Colts have 72 M in cap space available after this year and it has to be spent someplace.  

Absolutely.  And what you do is make sure you have enough to sign the young guys coming off their rookie deals that you actually want to keep.  The rest, you sign good vets but to short-term contracts, just like Ballard did this year.

On October 22, 2017 at 9:10 AM, IndyScribe said:

There's not a lot of quality O-Line in the 2018 Free Agency. The only good one I can think of is Pugh, and that's assuming he even wants to leave the Giants. 

I think Andrew Norwell is also coming up on free agency. Panthers don't have a lot of cap room either. 

10 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Absolutely.  And what you do is make sure you have enough to sign the young guys coming off their rookie deals that you actually want to keep.  The rest, you sign good vets but to short-term contracts, just like Ballard did this year.

Yeah I don't think we should be going all in on any stars.  

Something to keep in mind.  There are not a lot of drafted players with rookie deals ending soon that we are going to want to keep.  Maybe Mewhort if we don't think his knee issue is going to be a constant problem.  Perhaps Moncrief but I feel like we could do better.  (Those two guys are up this year.)

After that there is Anderson and Geathers in 2019.  And with Geathers there is that injury question there too. 

So we're not overloaded with rookie deal starters who are going to need new contracts.  

On 24.10.2017 at 6:11 AM, Track Guy said:

I think Andrew Norwell is also coming up on free agency. Panthers don't have a lot of cap room either. 

Assuming the cap jumps close to 10% like it has in many years, they are set to have about 20M in cap space. No other major UFAs either, except Lotulelei but they have Short and '16 1st rounder Vernon Butler at DT. They can keep him quite easily if they want, even without restructuring any contracts they have.

But that might be a big if. They're already paying big money to Kalil brothers and Turner. Not many teams are willing to give big money for both guards or 4 offensive lineman.

I thin Gettleman would've paid him as he values trenches so much but he was fired and no one knows who will be the GM making the decisions for Panthers next year.

On 10/23/2017 at 8:16 AM, AZColt11 said:

The time it takes to build a winning team is greatly exaggerated.

On 10/29/2017 at 3:47 PM, BOTT said:

I would agree, especially in today's NFL where it doesn't seem like there is one clear cut #1 team.  But I am assuming we will likely make some blunders along the way, so I'm thinking about 3 years. 

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 3:47 PM, BOTT said:

2 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I would agree, especially in today's NFL where it doesn't seem like there is one clear cut #1 team.  But I am assuming we will likely make some blunders along the way, so I'm thinking about 3 years. 

I don't think it would take three years if the right players are drafted and the free agent money is spent wisely.

This could change if we see that Luck is not going to play at 100% like before his injury. If that's a problem then who knows?

23 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think it would take three years if the right players are drafted and the free agent money is spent wisely.

This could change if we see that Luck is not going to play at 100% like before his injury. If that's a problem then who knows?

I  would concur.  If everything goes well then yeah, it shouldn't take too long.  But as much as most of us like Ballard he too is a rookie at his position and will likely make some errors along the way.  That's why I'm giving him a 3 year "cushion".

• 2 weeks later...

I think Isaiah Crowell is someone we should pursue this offseason. That would help us not be in need of a high or mid round pick on a RB and take a late flyer on someone who might develop. Evaluate and see if we need someone else next offseason.