Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it time to move on from Hilton?

BProland85

Should Ballard entertain retooling this WR core in addition to adding quality OTs to the OL next offseason? At a once thought of strength of this team, lately this WR core seems to disappear a lot against quality teams. Hilton is very inconsistent, and perhaps Ballard would like to have his own guys brought in there. With Hilton's contract, is he even tradeable? 

I feel like the defense has some pieces and youth to build around, now go out and add tough WRs who can get separation and OTs that have a nasty demeanor which will open up the running game and help keep the QB clean. 

To clarify I'm not saying trade him now, I'm saying if he has good value trade him in the offseason after Ballard brings in other help at WR. 

TY is literally the only threat on offense.  And they're without Luck.  He led the NFL in receiving yards last year.  I'm not done with him yet.  No.  I mean, nobody in the NFL is afraid of being three-yarded to death by Doyle and Gore. 

That said, your point is well taken, I'm not sure I'd keep any of the others next season.  Moncrief, who I've loved since his Ole Miss days and want to have succeed in the worst way is making it hard to root for another contract, and Aiken I'm not impressed with - so far with a backup QB.  And Rogers, who knows, he's hurt.  So TY might be the only one left. 

8 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Should Ballard entertain rehauling this WR core in addition to adding quality OTs to the OL next offseason? At a once thought of strength of this team, lately this WR core seems to disappear a lot against quality teams. Hilton is very inconsistent, and perhaps Ballard would like to have his own guys brought in there. With Hilton's contract, is he even tradeable? 

I feel like the defense has some pieces and youth to build around, now go out and add tough WRs who can get separation and OTs that have a nasty demeanor which will open up the running game and help keep the QB clean. 

No,   you don't get rid of your playmakers.     

From a financial aspect, Hilton's cap hit increases from $10M to $13M next season. And the Colts could save $9M of that by cutting him.

But, from a football perspective, it doesn't make sense. Luck and Hilton are a dynamic pair...and have great chemistry. Plus, he's the best weapon on this team.

I do think Ballard will look to overhaul much of the WR group though...and he is already doing so (signing Aiken, trading Dorsett).

Next season, Moncrief will be gone...as will Aiken. Rogers might still be around if can ever get healthy...but he will be down near the bottom of the depth chart. So I think you will see at least one early draft pick (not necessarily a 1st round pick) devoted to WR...and likely one late-round pick as well. The Chiefs drafted two WRs in each of the last two drafts that Ballard was a part of. So I think you will see him follow suit...especially after devoting almost an entire draft to the defense.

You will also see one legit FA WR brought in. Just looking at the list, you have Sammy Watkins, Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, Alshon Jeffrey, Davante Adams and Terrelle Pryor...all hitting FA at the same. I still think Jeffrey is going to be at the top of Ballard's wish list (familiarity, size), but I could see any of those guys as being an option (depending on who the new OC is).

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I prefer Embassy Suites

Free Made-to-Order and continental breakfast is the best. When we were in Chicago for the week not too long ago, we used that as one of our main meals each day. Probably saved $200-300.

They also have free happy hour, where they serve appetizers, beer and wine.

55 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Should Ballard entertain rehauling this WR core in addition to adding quality OTs to the OL next offseason? At a once thought of strength of this team, lately this WR core seems to disappear a lot against quality teams. Hilton is very inconsistent, and perhaps Ballard would like to have his own guys brought in there. With Hilton's contract, is he even tradeable? 

Hilton is our only good wr. Moncrief aiken and the others are more invisible than anybody.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Free Made-to-Order and continental breakfast is the best. When we were in Chicago for the week not too long ago, we used that as one of our main meals each day. Probably saved $200-300.

They also have free happy hour, where they serve appetizers, beer and wine.

During my school career we stayed in the Indy Area ES(Mainly Downtown) several times for Sporting Events

55 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Colts fans: "Of course Luck struggles sometimes, he has little to no help and has to do everything by himself."

Also Colts fans: "I wonder what we could get for TY Hilton."

Also Colts fans: "Fire him!"

Friend: "Who?"

fans: "EVERYBODY!! GET THEM ALL OUT!"

Not do knock of our backup QBs but we did have Scott playing for one game and Brissett who is still incredibly new tossing to our receivers for the last three games.  It can take a long time to develop chemistry.  Once Luck comes back and he gets back on track if he manages to survive this OL for another year, we should see the WR come back to life. 

2 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Not do knock of our backup QBs but we did have Scott playing for one game and Brissett who is still incredibly new tossing to our receivers for the last three games.  It can take a long time to develop chemistry.  Once Luck comes back and he gets back on track if he manages to survive this OL for another year, we should see the WR come back to life. 

Not to mention that outside of TY and DM the WR crew is new and/or green

1 hour ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

TY is literally the only threat on offense.  And they're without Luck.  He led the NFL in receiving yards last year.  I'm not done with him yet.  No.  I mean, nobody in the NFL is afraid of being three-yarded to death by Doyle and Gore. 

That said, your point is well taken, I'm not sure I'd keep any of the others next season.  Moncrief, who I've loved since his Ole Miss days and want to have succeed in the worst way is making it hard to root for another contract, and Aiken I'm not impressed with - so far with a backup QB.  And Rogers, who knows, he's hurt.  So TY might be the only one left. 

Hilton will pick it up when luck is back.

Throw in any semblance of a true #2 to help prevent umbrella type coverage geared towards his side of the field and he'll produce way more. I mean you don't get rid of a guy whose last 4 seasons are:

289 this year (on pace for about 1200 this year).

He CAN takeover any game so let's not short change him. When he can't, it's usually because nobody else is there to help him out a little. He doesn't need much help, but guys like Moncrief, Aiken, Rodgers aren't scaring anyone.

He's that great type nfl player the state of Florida always pumps out(Edge, Reggie, Gore, Deion). He comes to play. The other wrs on our team aren't in the same category.

A top reciever in the league.

Anyone should be considered available in a trade including Luck. He's reached a point in his career where staying healthy will always be a question mark. His style of holding the ball is a sure formula for future injuries, even if we had a decent team around him. And we are at least a dozen good players away from having even an average roster.

36 points in one half and some people here are saying how good the defense looks. Open your Colts' blue eyes!

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Should Ballard entertain retooling this WR core in addition to adding quality OTs to the OL next offseason? At a once thought of strength of this team, lately this WR core seems to disappear a lot against quality teams. Hilton is very inconsistent, and perhaps Ballard would like to have his own guys brought in there. With Hilton's contract, is he even tradeable? 

To clarify I'm not saying trade him now, I'm saying if he has good value trade him in the offseason after Ballard brings in other help at WR. 

Yes!!! 

Lets get rid of the ONLY PLAYMAKER WE HAVE. Lol