Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2nd Half

PuntersArePeopleToo

For the first 6 years our first half team was bad our second was good. This year it is the opposite we can start out strong, finish weak. And before you guys go bashing the coaches like most of you will, remember the same coaches are here. And you people that complained about the 2 point try, i like the going for two I hate the motion. Everything except the motion I would have tried. The motion made it a predictable play.

We haven't been a good 2nd half team this season, but that Seahawks defense is still great. We also did the 2 things you cannot do in Seattle, especially in prime-time. Turn the ball over and lose contain on Wilson. We bottled him up on the most part, but the plays we didn't were costly. 

.....Collapse.   When we let them march down the field at the end of first half with about no time left, it's sets a bad tone coming into the 2nd half.  I always hate getting a late 2nd half score and then just letting them easily equalize it.  I will say though, even with the bad mistakes made, I like the fire in Brisset's belly.

2 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

i've never seen a game turn so fast 

I think we have--the Playoff game vs. the Chiefs. We were down 31-10 ( if I recall) and we came back to win in the second half.

That was a good day. Why can't we get that day over and over again?

I feel like the coaches have their part of blame but...the PLAYERS are the one on the dang field! Theyre the ones that need to make plays happen. The coaches can only tell them what they should do. The coaches are not going to stop Russel Wilson from running out of the pocket, nor having the RBs run all over us and the D get all over the QBs face. The players need to stop all that...

The first half showed that the coaches have done their part to prepare the team. The team just needs to continue executing in the second half.

5 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I think we have--the Playoff game vs. the Chiefs. We were down 31-10 ( if I recall) and we came back to win in the second half.

That was a good day. Why can't we get that day over and over again?

2003 when we were down 35-14 in the 4th to the Bucs in Tampa Bay, I believe.  I think it was Monday night game??  Won it in OT.

7 minutes ago, bap1331 said:

I feel like the coaches have their part of blame but...the PLAYERS are the one on the dang field! Theyre the ones that need to make plays happen. The coaches can only tell them what they should do. The coaches are not going to stop Russel Wilson from running out of the pocket, nor having the RBs run all over us and the D get all over the QBs face. The players need to stop all that...

The first half showed that the coaches have done their part to prepare the team. The team just needs to continue executing in the second half.

To the bolded, I fully agree.

The coaches, however, set the scheme on D and call the plays on the O.

The player execution on both sides of the ball in the 1st drives of the 2nd half was absolutely atrocious.  Hankins with the dumb pushing penalty was bush league.  He's a vet who knows better than to do that.

17 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Hankins with the dumb pushing penalty was bush league.  He's a vet who knows better than to do that.

That felt like a turning point.  The defense went to crap after that.  

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

That felt like a turning point.  The defense went to crap after that.  

To me, the turning point was not getting a touchdown after Hooker's int. Yeah it was 18-18, but we had the ball at the 20, and a HUGE chance to steal momentum back from the Seahawks. Score there, take a 22-18 lead, and I doubt that the Seattle barrage continues the way it did, JMO.

We had a chance to steal the game back, and we couldn't. Credit the Seattle D. They're great as usual, even with all the injuries. 

52 minutes ago, bap1331 said:

You are seriously underestimating the importance of good coaching 

Moncrief has to be more involved in the game plan. TY and Moncrief are the only playmakers on this offense. Doyle can help move the chains, but Aiken is worthless and Gore is still solid, but he is no big play threat either. We have Aiken playing over moncrief in two wide sets, which makes no sense because Aiken has shown nothing in his time here. 

Dumb penalties, week-in, week-out.  Or should I say, year-in, year-out.  That's coaching.

That soft prevent defense to close out the first half (mercifully, Walsh missed a chip shot).  That's coaching.

Seattle making great second-half adjustments.  That's the kind of coaching we need here.

This staff is gone at season's end.  100% a lock at this point. 

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

Offense needs to stop giving the other team points. Seriously. 

What a disappointing end to what was a brilliant display in the first half by the defense. 

On the bright side, at least the defense gets picks now. 6 in 4 games after 8 all of last season. . 

All I could hope for was improvement.  It looked promising at halftime.  

I agree 100% about the defense.  I couldn’t believe that we showed up to play and chuck must have thought Seattle was up at halftime so he had to adjust the game plan lol.

youre right the picks are one of the few bright spots.  I can’t wait to get everyone back.

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

To me, the turning point was not getting a touchdown after Hooker's int. Yeah it was 18-18, but we had the ball at the 20, and a HUGE chance to steal momentum back from the Seahawks. Score there, take a 22-18 lead, and I doubt that the Seattle barrage continues the way it did, JMO.

We had a chance to steal the game back, and we couldn't. Credit the Seattle D. They're great as usual, even with all the injuries. 

I think the killer actually was on our next drive after the FG, we went 3-and-out. That hurts because it forced our defense back out on the field. Then I believe on our next drive, we had the fumble with Brisett's arm going forward when we were near our endzone and Seattle not only had time to recover the loose football, they had time to score. That hurts.

5 hours ago, Solon said:

We haven't been a good 2nd half team this season, but that Seahawks defense is still great. We also did the 2 things you cannot do in Seattle, especially in prime-time. Turn the ball over and lose contain on Wilson. We bottled him up on the most part, but the plays we didn't were costly. 

Pagano is awful.

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Pagano is awful.

L

6 hours ago, Solon said:

U cant turn the ball over in any time. Not just primetime.

1 hour ago, a06cc said:

Our team needs to be healthy. That’s what I seen yesterday.

Luck, Kelly, Swoope, Goode, Geathers, Mack, Rogers and Wilson. Pretty good list of players.        The question is: can they get to .500 or better until they return?

Nobody is running away with the Division.

This is a week to week league. Tennessee gets blown out. The Jags lose to the Jets. The Pats and Raiders are 2-2. 

What I saw last night were things that can be corrected: missed assignments, dropped passes, miss tackles, stupid penalties. That's on the players.

If they don't get these things cleaned up, it's going to be a long season with key players returning too late to make a difference.

If however, they start to play better and get some wins, they would be right in the thick of the battle for the division. They could peak at the right time. This season is far from over.

Am I the only one who's not severely disappointed by this game? I thought the guys played well for most of the game, but just the quality of Seahawks D finally punctured our resolve and confidence and when it happened it was like a dam broke. We just don't have the required talent and coaching to go against the best teams, yet. Seattle has its own problems but one thing they have that is absolutely elite is their defense. Without Luck we are not good enough at anything in order to stand against the elite units of the league. I'm kinda encouraged that we managed to stave off the flood for that long.

We are just starting to fill the roster with competent players. It will take some time but I like the direction and some of our young pieces. IMO next off-season Ballard needs to focus on O-line, RB, passrush, ILB with good coverage ability because none of ours are even average in coverage right now. If he manages to fix half of them in free agency and half of them through the draft, this will be a great start to his tenure.

p.s. oh yeah... he needs to fix the coaching position too...

4 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Luck, Kelly, Swoope, Goode, Geathers, Mack, Rogers and Wilson. Pretty good list of players.        The question is: can they get to .500 or better until they return?

Nobody is running away with the Division.

This is a week to week league. Tennessee gets blown out. The Jags lose to the Jets. The Pats and Raiders are 2-2. 

What I saw last night were things that can be corrected: missed assignments, dropped passes, miss tackles, stupid penalties. That's on the players.

If they don't get these things cleaned up, it's going to be a long season with key players returning too late to make a difference.

If however, they start to play better and get some wins, they would be right in the thick of the battle for the division. They could peak at the right time. This season is far from over.

What you saw last night has plagued this team for several yrs.  I'm sure Chuck will give his weekly "got to those things cleaned up" press conference shortly.

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

What you saw last night has plagued this team for several yrs.  I'm sure Chuck will give his weekly "got to those things cleaned up" press conference shortly.

Do you think he's the only coach saying that? He says that because it's the truth. What do expect him to say; we need better players ?

2 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Do you think he's the only coach saying that? He says that because it's the truth. What do expect him to say; we need better players ?

Obviously the colts lack talent, but...stupid penalties, missed assignments, dropped passes.....to me , that signals a certain lack of discipline and mental toughness.  Chuck is who he is as a coach and there is no cleaning that up.

Because of the way the first half went I was anxious to see which team would come out adjusted to perform better. Immediately when the second half started I could see a more aggressive Seattle running game. We will never know what went on the Colts halftime locker room but they came out bewildered and tired. New England's Josh McDaniel is said to be looking for a head coaches job and if so, Ballard should call him.

32 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Obviously the colts lack talent, but...stupid penalties, missed assignments, dropped passes.....to me , that signals a certain lack of discipline and mental toughness.  Chuck is who he is as a coach and there is no cleaning that up.

If you factor in key players returning, the talent improves.      

If players are coached correctly and still make mistakes, that's ON THE PLAYERS. They can learn and grow from these mistakes and become better players. 

If players can get better by learning from their mistakes, why not coaches? People assume that somehow, Chuck is  not capable of that. I disagree.