Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Something I'll Never Understand.

Dark Superman

The amount of people who claim to be diehard Colts fans, but want us to trade Luck and keep Brisset as our starter for the future. Anyone who considers themselves a true fan of this team would never say something so ridiculous.

Andrew Luck carried this team on his back his first three seasons here. The roster Grigson handed Luck the past five years was laughable. Jacoby has the tools to be a solid starter in this league, but he's nowhere near Luck.

Andrew played his entire Colts career behind a pretty bad line. He has a few good weapons around him, but more times than not, the offensive line fails to protect Luck and is unable to create holes for our running game.

Luck won us a bunch of games with his ability to scramble and create big plays with his feet. Jacoby can also run well, because if he couldn't, then most of those big plays he made last week don't happen.

The defense is playing probably it's better football since the Luck era. But they really haven't been tested. If Jacoby played the entire season and looked strong during some some defenses on the road, then maybe we can begin to talk about this kid being legit.

The only way the Colts trade Luck is if they know something they aren't telling us. If Luck's shoulder injury is career threatening or causes a potential risk of him never fully recovering, then I could see Colts trying to trade him, but with his contract, there's no guarantee.

This trade Luck talk is nonsense. Perhaps he's close, but the Colts are waiting to see where they stand before they decide to bring him back into the fold. If the Colts are 1-4 heading into week 6, they might just sit him out and allow him to heal for another year. If the Colts are 3-2 then maybe you bring him back in slowly and have him return later on in the season. If Luck sits, Jacoby could have himself a fine season and end up as trade bait if the price is right. If not, you now have a backup QB for the next few years, who you know can play and win you games.

It's a win-win. But trading Luck is almost as laughable as Pagano thinking he's coaching this team next season.

Two things OP:  First - Blind emotion with no consequences explain a ton of posts. Ignore the ignorant. 

Second - if the Colts have a winning record, Pagano is coaching this team next year.  If the Colts show continued progress and don’t get blown out again, Pagano is coaching this team next year. 

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Second - if the Colts have a winning record, Pagano is coaching this team next year.  If the Colts show continued progress and don’t get blown out again, Pagano is coaching this team next year. 

That is nowhere near a given, just speculation on your part. Perhaps he stays, but the owner has actively explored replacing him the past two years. I personally think it would take a miraculous season.

46 minutes ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

The amount of people who claim to be diehard Colts fans, but want us to trade Luck and keep Brisset as our starter for the future. Anyone who considers themselves a true fan of this team would never say something so ridiculous.

Andrew Luck carried this team on his back his first three seasons here. The roster Grigson handed Luck the past five years was laughable. Jacoby has the tools to be a solid starter in this league, but he's nowhere near Luck.

Andrew played his entire Colts career behind a pretty bad line. He has a few good weapons around him, but more times than not, the offensive line fails to protect Luck and is unable to create holes for our running game.

Luck won us a bunch of games with his ability to scramble and create big plays with his feet. Jacoby can also run well, because if he couldn't, then most of those big plays he made last week don't happen.

The defense is playing probably it's better football since the Luck era. But they really haven't been tested. If Jacoby played the entire season and looked strong during some some defenses on the road, then maybe we can begin to talk about this kid being legit.

The only way the Colts trade Luck is if they know something they aren't telling us. If Luck's shoulder injury is career threatening or causes a potential risk of him never fully recovering, then I could see Colts trying to trade him, but with his contract, there's no guarantee.

This trade Luck talk is nonsense. Perhaps he's close, but the Colts are waiting to see where they stand before they decide to bring him back into the fold. If the Colts are 1-4 heading into week 6, they might just sit him out and allow him to heal for another year. If the Colts are 3-2 then maybe you bring him back in slowly and have him return later on in the season. If Luck sits, Jacoby could have himself a fine season and end up as trade bait if the price is right. If not, you now have a backup QB for the next few years, who you know can play and win you games.

It's a win-win. But trading Luck is almost as laughable as Pagano thinking he's coaching this team next season.

Luck is a franchise QB with a long contract. He isn't going anywhere. Brissett is a solid backup, maybe could start for a few teams even. Any Colts fan with any sense doesn't want Luck traded. Luck in his first 3 seasons won games by himself and when healthy is easily a Top 10 QB in the league. Even if we win tonight which would be a huge win at Seattle my mind doesn't change on the fact that Luck is still is our future.

Trading Luck would be insane. Brissett is an adequate backup QB. Period. Could he start on a few teams out there? Sure. Teams that are riding out the season, waiting for a franchise QB to fall into their laps in the draft could use a Brissett to muddle along and run out the season. But a franchise QB? Never in a million years.

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

That is nowhere near a given, just speculation on your part. Perhaps he stays, but the owner has actively explored replacing him the past two years. I personally think it would take a miraculous season.

Just glad it's Ballard and Irsay making that decision and not the fans or media. Got to weigh out the price (time-wise) of bringing in a whole new coaching staff.

1 minute ago, Nadine said:

Fans are passionate so I get it.  Not a fan on people talking about what a 'true fan' is.  Usually leads to arguments here

I am not really sure what the definition of a True Fan is? Is it people that have season tickets and go to games spending a lot of money, is it people that just get sick over every loss? Is it people that live and die each week with the Colts games? Don't know. I do believe people that just watch it for entertainment aren't TrueFan's because losses don't bother those people.

1 minute ago, coltsfeva said:

Just glad it's Ballard and Irsay making that decision and not the fans or media. Got to weigh out the price (time-wise) of bringing in a whole new coaching staff.

Which is why we should have fired him 2 years ago.

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I have read nothing about  Irsay being actively looking for a replacement for Pagano. Where is a link or is this just your opinion?

I think Ballard would have some input into that but that is just my opinion.

Personally I think you assume too much.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't know why people think Luck is damaged goods? He is healing from surgery and getting healthy. If we put Luck on the trade table right now, 20 teams would want him and offer a ton of Draft picks.

I said IF.  People are talking about trading and keeping Brissett. I am not one of those people. No one knows how his arm will be after the surgery. He could come back stronger and better and he could also come back at less than what he was before the surgery. 

If the Colts were to put him up for trade it would raise a big flag about his health. 

2 hours ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

There are a couple of things I disagree with you in this comment. You are not the judge in determining what a true fan is.

I can understand why some might want to trade Luck even though I don't agree with them.

You are also not Irsay so saying it's laughable that Pagano thinking he will coach this team next year is too premature to call at this time. Irsay has already said the Colts record would not be the determining factor in him being fired or retained.

All theses things are your opinion, not factually correct.

2 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

I said IF.  People are talking about trading and keeping Brissett. I am not one of those people. No one knows how his arm will be after the surgery. He could come back stronger and better and he could also come back at less than what he was before the surgery. 

If the Colts were to put him up for trade it would raise a big flag about his health. 

I just cant wait for him to come back so it eases our minds. I am no doctor and not there but I have faith he will be good as new. Colts are just being cautious.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Two things OP:  First - Blind emotion with no consequences explain a ton of posts. Ignore the ignorant. 

Ballard is going to bring in his guy.

Ballard isn't on the Pagano train.

Chuck is gone. This team needs a real NFL Coach.

1 minute ago, Luck is Good said:

Andrew will be as good as new. I have no concern on that. He still needs an offensive line though

He's been here 6 years and the offensive line still is a major concern.

Chris Ballard showed that he knows how to find hard working, blue collared, Horseshoe guys.

Ballard will need to show our offense some attention this off-season. The defense still needs a ton of work, but he was able to lay the foundation on the defense side of the ball.

Keep tweaking the defense, but now he needs to surround Andrew Luck with some protection and talent.

He will have another draft and a nice chunk of cap space to work his magic.

1 minute ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

Ballard will need to show our offense some attention this off-season. The defense still needs a ton of work, but he was able to lay the foundation on the defense side of the ball.

Keep tweaking the defense, but now he needs to surround Andrew Luck with some protection and talent.

He will have another draft and a nice chunk of cap space to work his magic.

O.Line and Defense

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think we will be ok, we have a real GM now and Luck is still young enough to where he can get it done.

You can have the best 11 guys out their on the field, but it means nothing if you're being out-coached. I like a few of our assistant coaches, but never believed in Pagano.

Just now, Luck is Good said:

That's what the Colts have needed for years

Haven't had a consistent defense since I became a fan in the mid 90's.

Manning had some good offensive lines, but the guy got rid of the ball quick.

I watched Luck play a few games where the line gave the kid some time, and when they did, he was pretty much always spot on.

We found a gem in Brissett if he continues to impress in the next year or two teams are going to want to take a chance on him this could be another New England situation with Garrapolo Luck misses a game each year we need a solid backup and found one but in a few years he could get us a few extra picks in a draft win win for the Colts Organization.