Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I just watched...

... in which stitches shares his first impressions after college football games.

I realized every week there are several prospects that capture my attention while watching games and I want to share what I thought, but not all of them deserve their own thread so... here is a thread where I will be sharing short blurbs on prospects I've watched.

I just finished watching USC vs Washington state and there is a prospect that deserves some attention from Washington state on the defensive side - it's Hercules Mata'afa... WSU was lining him up all across the D-line but he projects as a OLB/DE in the league. He's 6'2" 252 and he's explosive and pretty much unblockable from anywhere on the D-Line. He's racking up TFL and sacks like crazy. I will be interested to see his athletic testing at the combine because I'm not sure him it's all physical talent. A lot of the time he's timing the snaps perfectly and beats the blockers before they even have the chance to get up from their stance. Here's an article from PFF about his from before the season: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2018-prospect-preview-hercules-mataafa-can-rush-the-passer-from-nearly-anywhere

Please feel free to jump in with any impressions you've had while watching games.

I saw him lining up as the DT over center repeatedly, with lots of space between him and his teammates on either side of him.  WSU has a 300+ lb DLineman they could have lined up over center, but they put Mata'afa over center and had the other guy playing DE.  It's like they were daring USC to run it at him.

And he REPEATEDLY beat blocks, single and double, to get into the USC backfield.  They said he has the fastest 1st step on the snap, and I believe it after last night.

And he is giving up 50+ pounds to the guys trying to block him...  Hercules is a fitting name.  Holy cow.  This guy might be James Harrison 2.0, just a man among boys.

13 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I saw him lining up as the DT over center repeatedly, with lots of space between him and his teammates on either side of him.  WSU has a 300+ lb DLineman they could have lined up over center, but they put Mata'afa over center and had the other guy playing DE.  It's like they were daring USC to run it at him.

And he REPEATEDLY beat blocks, single and double, to get into the USC backfield.  They said he has the fastest 1st step on the snap, and I believe it after last night.

And he is giving up 50+ pounds to the guys trying to block him...  Hercules is a fitting name.  Holy cow.  This guy might be James Harrison 2.0, just a man among boys.

Yep I was very impressed too. Seems like a very unconventional prospect who succeeds in the weird positions they are putting him in.

23 hours ago, stitches said:

I'm watching Georgia vs Tennessee - I love Davin Bellamy. That Georgia defense is stout. They don't miss tackles and they turn the ball over. Very VERY well coached.

Georgia's two edge rushers look pretty quick off the snap.

On 10/2/2017 at 12:03 AM, Cynjin said:

Georgia's two edge rushers look pretty quick off the snap.

It's Bellamy and Lorenzo Carter. Both might get drafted before the end of day 2. They also have a very intriguing ILB that I think can play all phases of the game - Roquan Smith. He's very fun to watch. Here's his tape vs Mississippi State :

There are so many solid players on that defense. I just checked who their defensive coordinator is - it's Mel Tucker, former Jacksonville Jaguars interim HC. A name to keep in mind when Pagano and his coordinators are fired at the end of the year. Georgia's defense is tremendously coached. I don't think i've ever seen players (that are not like Alabama level recruits) across the board play so well, consistently without mistakes, making every single tackle with solid form, poking the ball away on sacks, turning it over on INTs, creating mismatches on D, never getting caught in poor mismatch situation themselves. No idea who's the main teacher of those young players and the main orchestrator of this D but whoever it is, he should be able to easily get a job in the league. In just two years Tucker has turned that Georgia defense into a well-oiled machine that annihilates and shuts down very good ranked opponents.

... The tape of Wyatt Teller vs Boston College last year. I'd seen him play before, but man does this guy look to put defenders on their backs! He's #57 and playing at LG. 

Not sure where his draft stock will be as it's a strong class for guards, and I think being as he's actually only in his 3rd year on the O-line I believe (converted D-lineman) he shouldn't be rushed into starting at the next level. Perhaps somewhere he's going to go somewhere in the middle (3 - 5) rounds?

His size, athleticism, and nasty blocking style say to me that this guy can be successful at the next level as soon as he adjusts to the play speed. 

On 9/30/2017 at 1:30 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'd be very interested at his 'explosion' number, and agility number'.  If the first is very close to or above 70, he's deserves intensive look. Especially if his agility number is also <than or = 11 seconds.

Explosion # - bench reps + vertical + broad (ft.)

Agility # - 3 cone drill + short shuttle

I'm watching Louisville vs Boston College. Harold Landry looks so... nonchalant... so not engaged. I'm not sure I like the way he plays the game. Maybe he's making business decisions this year and can't wait for it to be over so he can move on to the NFL, but if so - why did he stay? I can't imagine this type of play is helping his stock. There is a night and day difference between the way him and Chubb play the game. Give me Chubb any day of the week and twice on Sunday. 

edit: Watching Georgia vs Mizzou now. Georgia has 3 NFL starting RBs on their roster. It's insane how they keep spitting out those awesome backs year after year. Also - I love Roquan Smith. He's the exact type of athletic, flying around ILB we need. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am watching Goergia vs Florida. You guys already know I like a lot of players on Georgia's defense, but this time I'm going to mention someone from Florida - DT Taven Bryan. Some compare him to JJ Watt. I don't know if I'd go that far but his explosiveness off the snap and strength are really really good. He manhandles double teams and throws them aside to stop the run in the backfield. It's truly impressive.

The more I'm watching Roquan Smith the more i fall in love. He will very likely be my ILB 1 in this year's draft. 

On 10/7/2017 at 12:57 PM, stitches said:

Watching Georgia again - Roquan Smith is quickly turning into my favorite ILB in this draft.

Just wanted to say it looks like you were right about Smith. I’ve seen him ranked high as an ILB on several sites and I’ve seen his name in several mocks now

On 10/29/2017 at 9:03 AM, stitches said:

I am watching Goergia vs Florida. You guys already know I like a lot of players on Georgia's defense, but this time I'm going to mention someone from Florida - DT Taven Bryan. Some compare him to JJ Watt. I don't know if I'd go that far but his explosiveness off the snap and strength are really really good. He manhandles double teams and throws them aside to stop the run in the backfield. It's truly impressive.

The more I'm watching Roquan Smith the more i fall in love. He will very likely be my ILB 1 in this year's draft. 

Are there any other ILBs worth watching? I've watched Josey Jewell and Malik Jefferson and could barely get through two games on each. They both just flat out suck IMO. 

5 hours ago, SP_21 said:

Are there any other ILBs worth watching? I've watched Josey Jewell and Malik Jefferson and could barely get through two games on each. They both just flat out suck IMO. 

Rashaan Evans from Alabama is similar type of athletic and quick LB. I think I like him best along with Roquan. I haven't watched a ton of Ohio State this year, but I've seen Dante Booker's name thrown around. Tremaine Edmunds from Virginia Tech is intriguing as well... Azeem Victor from Washington is not bad, but here we go into borderline day 2-day prospects. 

Also... definitely watch Ogbonnia Okorokwo from Oklahoma. I think he is good enough pass rusher to play EDGE on the next level but some think he can be similar to Haason Reddick from last year. (I personally have him as a first rounder)

11 hours ago, SP_21 said:

Cameron Smith is a pretty good all around ILB.  Has some athleticism and can cover but knows where the football is.

11 hours ago, SP_21 said:

Surprised you didn’t like Jewell. He was the first LB I watched tape on and thought he was excellent. Has zone coverage ability and good instincts in the run game.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Surprised you didn’t like Jewell. He was the first LB I watched tape on and thought he was excellent. Has zone coverage ability and good instincts in the run game.

I liked Jewell vs Penn State, too. He had zero chance in space against Saquon, but overall I thought he looked about as good as a LB can in the circumstances. Malik Jefferson looked good vs USC but I haven't watched a lot of Texas after that game, so I cannot say for sure how he's looking this year. 

10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

He will make a few plays when he gets an open lane to the RB but he doesn't shed blocks and gets burned trying to cover TEs. I wanted to like him but I didn't see anything special. 

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 7:39 PM, SP_21 said:

He will make a few plays when he gets an open lane to the RB but he doesn't shed blocks and gets burned trying to cover TEs. I wanted to like him but I didn't see anything special. 

Obviously you haven't watched him much. He anticipates and reads as well as any colligate LB I've seen. Got dinged a few games ago but prior was averaging over 11 tackles per game, an INT and several tackles for loss. Seen every game this year and don't remember him  getting burned by any TE although it may  have happened. He had a couple of games where he had 14 or more tackles so to say he makes a few play to an open lane to a running back only is hard to believe.

17 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Obviously you haven't watched him much. He anticipates and reads as well as any colligate LB I've seen. Got dinged a few games ago but prior was averaging over 11 tackles per game, an INT and several tackles for loss. Seen every game this year and don't remember him  getting burned by any TE although it may  have happened. He had a couple of games where he had 14 or more tackles so to say he makes a few play to an open lane to a running back only is hard to believe.

I watched two games. Wisconsin I think and one other. He got mauled in the run game and gave up a few easy easy completions when matched up against the TE. 

I'll watch another game but I think we'll have to agree to disagree 

On 11/5/2017 at 3:37 PM, hoosierhawk said:

Did notice yesterday that he did seem to have trouble shedding a couple blocks from some of the big Ohio State OL. Only concern I have is he is not a big ILB at 6'2" 235. He is so smart and is definitely the QB of that defense.

6’0”-6’2” is the average size of an NFL ILB. Lavonte David, Jaylon Smith, Myles Jack, Erick Kendricks, Bobby Wagner, Mychal Kendricks, Our own ILBs, and others are all actually under 6’2”. The only really big ILB is Keuchly at 6’4”. If anything Jewell has above average size.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

6’0”-6’2” is the average size of an NFL ILB. Lavonte David, Jaylon Smith, Myles Jack, Erick Kendricks, Bobby Wagner, Mychal Kendricks, Our own ILBs, and others are all actually under 6’2”. The only really big ILB is Keuchly at 6’4”. If anything Jewell has above average size.

On average ILB is about 6'0" 235.  This is ideal size scouts will look at.  Having a guy a little bigger is fine as long as he is athletic or the team wants a bigger thumper.  We need a ILB's that are around this size with coverage traits to be successful with the 3-4.  You also want some great athletic guys in the OLB spot as well though.  Pass rusher, yes, but some coverage ability is ideal on that as well.  

I am starting to really love Smith from Georgia.  He just has so much potential and flashes every single game.  I think you have some good defensive players in this draft.  Get a lineman or two and use FA t o finish the line overhaul and a few other spots.

I really want Trumaine Johnson in Free Agency.  Just saying!

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:03 AM, SP_21 said:

I watched two games. Wisconsin I think and one other. He got mauled in the run game and gave up a few easy easy completions when matched up against the TE. 

I'll watch another game but I think we'll have to agree to disagree 

They play Wisconsin Saturday. They have a very good TE and are undefeated. doubt Iowa plays as well as the did against Ohio State.

21 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

On average ILB is about 6'0" 235.  This is ideal size scouts will look at.  Having a guy a little bigger is fine as long as he is athletic or the team wants a bigger thumper.  We need a ILB's that are around this size with coverage traits to be successful with the 3-4.  You also want some great athletic guys in the OLB spot as well though.  Pass rusher, yes, but some coverage ability is ideal on that as well.  

Yup. I think the common mistake people make is thinking bigger=more athletic, and that’s just not true. Azeem Victor is reportedly 6’3” But may run in the 4.78 range. Also bigger does mean better coverage skills. I always see people here dismiss LBs that are only 6’1” as not being coverage guys. Coverage ability is based on speed, awareness, and technique. One of the best coverage guys in this draft is Jewell. And he’s probably not overly fast or big. He’s got great instincts/awareness though.

30 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yup. I think the common mistake people make is thinking bigger=more athletic, and that’s just not true. Azeem Victor is reportedly 6’3” But may run in the 4.78 range. Also bigger does mean better coverage skills. I always see people here dismiss LBs that are only 6’1” as not being coverage guys. Coverage ability is based on speed, awareness, and technique. One of the best coverage guys in this draft is Jewell. And he’s probably not overly fast or big. He’s got great instincts/awareness though.

One of the best prospects at ILB this year is 6'1" 235.  Roquan Smith from Georgia.

Azeem Victor and Malik Jefferson are a little taller and they are athletic as well.  Just being a little taller is not going to make me sway to one of them over someone like Smith who shows some solid traits at his position.

43 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

One of the best prospects at ILB this year is 6'1" 235.  Roquan Smith from Georgia.

Azeem Victor and Malik Jefferson are a little taller and they are athletic as well.  Just being a little taller is not going to make me sway to one of them over someone like Smith who shows some solid traits at his position.

Smith is what we need. Wouldn’t take him top 5 where we will be picking. Maybe top 10

On 11/7/2017 at 2:55 PM, stitches said:

I introduce to you Rashaan Evans:

Definitely making a push towards my heart as LB1 currently held by Roquan Smith. Such a fun player to watch. He also has a nasty spin move when lineed up on the edge as a passrusher. 

How is he in coverage though?

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

You are going to need a lot more video on him to find out.  Was an OLB that got moved inside this year.  Very limited play due to a lot of guys being ahead of him.  Looks athletic but do not be fooled by 3 plays.  He is raw and needs to prove himself more than shoving an o-line guy to the ground.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

He's a bit rough around the edges in all phases of the game including coverage but he oozes so much potential. He's got great speed and he packs hell of a punch, he plays violent and going at 100 all the time.. I don't think I've seen a 235lbs linebacker throw around 60-70 pounds heavier Olinemen and tightends like that. Alabama lets him rush off the edge a bit and he even has some spin moves both to the inside and to the outside that look nasty and there are even questions about whether there is a possibility for him do it in the NFL full time. I haven't noticed any glaring weaknesses in coverage but there haven't been many opportunities for him to get tested, so... 

Have any of you watched Skai Moore out of South Carolina?

He was out all of last season with a neck injury but has started every game this season. 

Above average athleticism and plus coverage ability. Team player and leader. Can be inconsistent shedding blocks and was pretty light for a LB. He may have bulked up a bit in the offseason though.