Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rooting For JB For A Different Reason

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/09/25/jacoby-brissett-too-valuable-to-back-andrew-luck/700787001/

Sure I want him to do well and I want the team to win.  But Doyel may be right.  Briskets  (yeah yeah I know that's not his name but it's fun-Donny Baker would be proud) might be performing his audition to take over a team in 2018 right now.  If he keeps playing at this level, I'm wondering if a QB-hungry team might be willing to dangle some talent our way to receive his services?  True, it has only been a couple of good games, and it was the Browns and Cards, but his good play has me wondering if some team might be willing to give us something valuable for him if he continues until Luck gets back?  He's got at least another game or two before Luck gets back.  Have a good game in Seattle and people will take notice.  And if so, Ballard will look like a genius.

Limited game play still shows he has potential.  Many GM's just want to see that.  If he plays 2 more games and continues to show improvement then I can see teams looking at him.  What value I am not sure, but if it's something spectacular then ok, but if not keep him.  Just like ole Jimmy G in NE.  Get the best value or keep him.

Unless someone does dangle either some great talent or a very high draft pick/a couple of them, I dont want him to go anywhere. With how Andrew misses games from time to time we need a good backup QB. Not to mention he is cheap for a couple more years. 

11 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/09/25/jacoby-brissett-too-valuable-to-back-andrew-luck/700787001/

Sure I want him to do well and I want the team to win.  But Doyel may be right.  Briskets  (yeah yeah I know that's not his name but it's fun-Donny Baker would be proud) might be performing his audition to take over a team in 2018 right now.  If he keeps playing at this level, I'm wondering if a QB-hungry team might be willing to dangle some talent our way to receive his services?  True, it has only been a couple of good games, and it was the Browns and Cards, but his good play has me wondering if some team might be willing to give us something valuable for him if he continues until Luck gets back?  He's got at least another game or two before Luck gets back.  Have a good game in Seattle and people will take notice.  And if so, Ballard will look like a genius.

Gee, we could turn brissett into the pick that makes us SB contenders next season! tra la la la laaaa da do de do
 He gets paid to write this? What a Great country we live in, some say.

31 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

If we can turn Brissett into a draft pick, as opposed to releasing him in the near future, then the trade with NE will look even better.

I still can't believe NE took Dorsett instead of a draft pick.  We actually hosed NE in a trade...

Let that sink in.

Now why would the Colts release him in the near future?

Yes, I do think we took NE to the shed in this deal.

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Now why would the Colts release him in the near future?

Yes, I do think we took NE to the shed in this deal.

Worst case scenario, we have to release him because he digresses and nobody wants him, but we only gave up Dorsett.  Again, it boggles my mind that NE didn't somehow get draft-capital out of us for Dorsett.  I think Ballard might ...  Well, I don't wanna jinx it.

Jacoby played well against the Browns.  NE presumably traded him because he wasn't worth keeping.  Realistically, he is probably only a few bad games away from being another has-been in the NFL.  Or he could be a decent starter for a decade, I don't know.

I like Brissett and I'd like to see him succeed here.  But since we have Luck, a lot like in the Manning days, I don't see a backup QB worth any sort of draft-capital sticking around.  Why not do exactly what NE does all the time?  If you have a franchise QB, why not get some draft-capital for a good backup QB before he turns out to be a not-so-good backup QB?

:clover:

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Worst case scenario, we have to release him because he digresses and nobody wants him, but we only gave up Dorsett.  Again, it boggles my mind that NE didn't somehow get draft-capital out of us for Dorsett.  I think Ballard might ...  Well, I don't wanna jinx it.

Jacoby played well against the Browns.  NE presumably traded him because he wasn't worth keeping.  Realistically, he is probably only a few bad games away from being another has-been in the NFL.  Or he could be a decent starter for a decade, I don't know.

I like Brissett and I'd like to see him succeed here.  But since we have Luck, a lot like in the Manning days, I don't see a backup QB worth any sort of draft-capital sticking around.  Why not do exactly what NE does all the time?  If you have a franchise QB, why not get some draft-capital for a good backup QB before he turns out to be a not-so-good backup QB?

:clover:

I think you are wrong by saying NE didn't think he was not worth keeping. He was not needed. There Is a difference.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think you are wrong by saying NE didn't think he was not worth keeping. He was not needed. There Is a difference.

Fair enough on the wording.  And who knows, maybe NE fans think they hosed us for a 3rd string QB.  Personally, I'm not convinced Brissett is a franchise QB, or even a good clipboard-holder at this point, which is what we need when Luck comes back.

Since no draft picks were exchanged it might be a wash either way, unless the Colts can get a draft pick for Jacoby while his stock is high.  :thmup:

As long as Luck stays healthy when he comes back, Jacoby won't really get another chance to increase his stock until next pre-season.  If the Colts wait until the off-season, other teams might have targeted incoming rookies over Brissett.  If he digresses on the field and can't hold a clipboard next pre-season, we'll probably end up releasing him with no return on (hopefully) a good investment.

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

If we can turn Brissett into a draft pick, as opposed to releasing him in the near future, then the trade with NE will look even better.

I still can't believe NE took Dorsett instead of a draft pick.  We actually hosed NE in a trade...

Let that sink in.

I prefer to say we fleeced hoodie in that trade :thmup:

37 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Fair enough on the wording.  And who knows, maybe NE fans think they hosed us for a 3rd string QB.  Personally, I'm not convinced Brissett is a franchise QB, or even a good clipboard-holder at this point, which is what we need when Luck comes back.

Since no draft picks were exchanged it might be a wash either way, unless the Colts can get a draft pick for Jacoby while his stock is high.  :thmup:

As long as Luck stays healthy when he comes back, Jacoby won't really get another chance to increase his stock until next pre-season.  If the Colts wait until the off-season, other teams might have targeted incoming rookies over Brissett.  If he digresses on the field and can't hold a clipboard next pre-season, we'll probably end up releasing him with no return on (hopefully) a good investment.

Somehow I don't think Ballard traded for him just to trade him away. Ballard said he was traded for the Colts future. After the Tolzien fiasco we need to have a good back up on the roster at all times. This team didn't have a decent back up when Manning went down and this team went 2-14. When Luck went down we have gone 8-8 two seasons in a row.

If Luck don't come back 100% he may turn out to be our starter. Ballard may just be covering just in case?

12 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Limited game play still shows he has potential.  Many GM's just want to see that.  If he plays 2 more games and continues to show improvement then I can see teams looking at him.  What value I am not sure, but if it's something spectacular then ok, but if not keep him.  Just like ole Jimmy G in NE.  Get the best value or keep him.

Agreed if we cant get a couple of high draft picks for him keep him.

90 points surrendered to the Rams, Cardinals and Browns in total is what we need to focus on moving forward. Our D does better, when helped by the O. Most Ds do but our D does not have the talent to carry the O on any bad day for the O, period. That is the truth. 

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Somehow I don't think Ballard traded for him just to trade him away. Ballard said he was traded for the Colts future. After the Tolzien fiasco we need to have a good back up on the roster at all times. This team didn't have a decent back up when Manning went down and this team went 2-14. When Luck went down we have gone 8-8 two seasons in a row.

If Luck don't come back 100% he may turn out to be our starter. Ballard may just be covering just in case?

Yeah and don't get me wrong, I think this is a win-win-win for the Colts.  If he stays on the roster we have comfort in the fact that he is a solid backup.  And I think he has a much better chance of lasting on our roster than Dorsett does in NE, so it's a lose-lose-lose for NE.  Double-yes.  :thmup:

41 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm not really sold on his potential as a future franchise QB/starter.  But he's a solid backup.

If someone offered the Colts a 3rd round pick or better for JB then we should go for it.  

If another team see the potential that is all that matters.  I would not let him go for anything better than a 2nd rounder.  If no one offers anything then you have a good backup.

• 2 weeks later...

We should keep him but Ballard may get an offer for him he can't refuse. With how much Grigson set us back with years of bad drafting, Ballard needs all the extra picks he can get. That's why I think he was so quick to ship Allen out. I knew Dorsett was gone too.

I think even a 2nd round pick would be enough for Ballard. We'll see what happens though.

I`ve seen nothing of Brissett so far, to think he`s going to bring in a boatload of picks. He`s playing okay, but maybe I`m not seeing what everyone else is. Three games in and average stats and one W. At the moment he is what he is, a decent backup. Nothing more!  

I don't think a team would pull the trigger on him until at least the 2018 Draft is over and done with.

But if someone tangles a 1st or 2nd round pick for the guy, then Ballard might take it.

Worst case scenario, we have a quality backup for the next few seasons on a cheap contract.