Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF: Hairston among rookie CBs that have impressed

stitches

Thanks MTC for the link!

Saw this in his player review Hairston has the toughness and competitive mentality to play on the defense, but requires a prepared coaching staff who will invest the time to develop his instincts, technique and consistency at cornerback.

Italics mine but with Coach P(utz) thought this might be a long shot for this to happen lol

9 minutes ago, Coltgoat said:

Thanks MTC for the link!

Saw this in his player review Hairston has the toughness and competitive mentality to play on the defense, but requires a prepared coaching staff who will invest the time to develop his instincts, technique and consistency at cornerback.

Italics mine but with Coach P(utz) thought this might be a long shot for this to happen lol

pagano has a lot of issues as a HC, but he was a very successful positional (DB) coach.  When given some talent to work with, he's helped develop them into better players. 

13 minutes ago, Coltgoat said:

Thanks MTC for the link!

Pags as much as I want him fired, has been pretty decent as a CB coach.

52 minutes ago, stitches said:

DKqbF5iUEAAhFpl.jpg

I really like our rookie class so far.

i think our rookie class has some potential, but and this is a huge BUT, they've played sub par QBs, Goff, Kieser and a shell of his former self, Carson Palmer. Russell wilson this coming week is a full tier above those 3, so they'll get a good test.  

13 minutes ago, csmopar said:

i think our rookie class has some potential, but and this is a huge BUT, they've played sub par QBs, Goff, Kieser and a shell of his former self, Carson Palmer. Russell wilson this coming week is a full tier above those 3, so they'll get a good test.  

I would normally agree, but Wilson has not been his usual self this season and is struggling, with the possibility of Baldwin not playing (or being limited) with a groin issue he may struggle to score points.  

Will have to watch his ground game though...

21 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Good point but I'm not too concerned.   Seattles WR corp is not head and shoulders above the guys we have in our secondary.  I think we'll be okay.

4 minutes ago, Indy500 said:

I would normally agree, but Wilson has not been his usual self this season and is struggling, with the possibility of Baldwin not playing (or being limited) with a groin issue he may struggle to score points.  

Will have to watch his ground game though...

true.  That and QBs like him usually dont last past 5-6 years in the league.  They get beat up too much

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

true but it'll be a decent test regardless

I would say our Front 7 will be tested the most.  We will really see how we can contain a dual threat QB.  Kizer had some lanes but Wilson runs more.  I hope Sheard plays well with containing the edge.

5 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I would say our Front 7 will be tested the most.  We will really see how we can contain a dual threat QB.  Kizer had some lanes but Wilson runs more.  I hope Sheard plays well with containing the edge.

Luckily the Seahawks O-line is terrible. Like you said, we'll see if they can bring down Wilson once they get to him, but they should have an easy time getting past the line.

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

Luckily the Seahawks O-line is terrible.

Yes this as well.  People right us off right away but the Seahawks have looked bad so far.  They might have lost their key WR as well.  Contain the run and Wilson and I am feeling pretty good.  If Kelly is back this will be a tough first game for him though.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

With a west coast attack I have a little concern about our ILB covering some of their RB in the passing game maybe.

I have concerns about Bostic trying to cover a sloth.  I was hoping Spence would come in on passing downs, or they just put in Green in his place. 

12 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I have concerns about Bostic trying to cover a sloth.  I was hoping Spence would come in on passing downs, or they just put in Green in his place. 

They need to utilize green as a coverage LB or something I don't wanna see Bostic in coverage at least green can recover if beaten 

Bostic does seem to get lost in coverage.   Don't know what's up with that. He has the speed, but the agility and awareness in coverage seem to be lacking. This is where we miss guys like Akeem Ayers who I wish we would bring back for these situations.   Thought they were going to use Barkevious Mingo in coverage a little bit as well.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Bostic does seem to get lost in coverage.   Don't know what's up with that. He has the speed, but the agility and awareness in coverage seem to be lacking. This is where we miss guys like Akeem Ayers who I wish we would bring back for these situations.   Thought they were going to use Barkevious Mingo in coverage a little bit as well.

Mingo would seem like a perfect candidate yet they don't try him there which sucks 

2 hours ago, krunk said:

What do you mean you don't know? Just because he's fast doesn't mean he can cover lol. It's a HUGE skill to possess and might be the most important trait in a defensive player now a days, honestly(good coverage ability). 

Not everyone has it

5 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

What do you mean you don't know? Just because he's fast doesn't mean he can cover lol. It's a HUGE skill to possess and might be the most important trait in a defensive player now a days, honestly(good coverage ability). 

Not everyone has it

The lost look comes from him not even knowing who it was he was supposed to cover or  being late.   That's not a skill, that's knowing your responsibility and being there.  He needs to tighten that part of the deal up.

On 9/26/2017 at 1:57 PM, krunk said:

So far it seems he struggles in zone. he's manned up on a RB a couple of times and played it pretty well (one against the Rams was a reception but he was right on the RB's hip, it was just a great throw.  But in zone coverage he does not react well to the ball in the air.

I love Nate Dawg. Liked the pick when I read up on him and watched him a bit but. See. This is the kinda drafts I'm talking about. Yeah we shouldn't have taken Banner and IMO Stewart in RD4 when some really good players were still on the board. But we came out with Hooker, Wilson, Basham, Hairston, Mack, and Walker. Walker should at least be a solid backup/special teamer 4years. But with Hooker we have our starting FS, and a beastly top tier big money FS for the next several years. Wilson and Hairston we have 2 starting corners. Next season they're the 2 and nickel corners. Basham I still love. I think he can be a 10 sack edge rusher. He's got a ton of raw talent. We just need that Mack/Miller/Houston etc type monster to go with him and Simon. Harold Landry is the answer to that if we have a top 5 pick. And with Mack I think we have at least a really solid number 2 back. 

On 9/26/2017 at 1:57 PM, krunk said:

Yeah. I wanted us to move Ayers to ILB. I mean he's obviously better than little Jon boy Bostic out there. Lol. And Mingo yes. I agree. Mingo would probably be out best ILB. 

12 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I love Nate Dawg. Liked the pick when I read up on him and watched him a bit but. See. This is the kinda drafts I'm talking about. Yeah we shouldn't have taken Banner and IMO Stewart in RD4 when some really good players were still on the board. But we came out with Hooker, Wilson, Basham, Hairston, Mack, and Walker. Walker should at least be a solid backup/special teamer 4years. But with Hooker we have our starting FS, and a beastly top tier big money FS for the next several years. Wilson and Hairston we have 2 starting corners. Next season they're the 2 and nickel corners. Basham I still love. I think he can be a 10 sack edge rusher. He's got a ton of raw talent. We just need that Mack/Miller/Houston etc type monster to go with him and Simon. Harold Landry is the answer to that if we have a top 5 pick. And with Mack I think we have at least a really solid number 2 back. 

aint nothing wrong with Stewart.  You'll see