Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How do TV NFL blackouts work again?

ReMeDy

I think I heard literally the entire stadium has to be sold out for a game. Is that true, or are exceptions made if it's your local team? I'm concerned because I wonder if we're going to see games getting blacked out for reasons that won't be mentioned.

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It depends on where you live

I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana btw, so I should be fine then if it's related to the Colts? Problem is if the Colts play away at a different stadium, I hope I'm not affected by that stadium's blackout.

22 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana btw, so I should be fine then if it's related to the Colts? Problem is if the Colts play away at a different stadium, I hope I'm not affected by that stadium's blackout.

It use to be a 50 mile radios from the stadium as the crow flies not sure if that still stands 

Superman is right.  In 2015, the TV broadcast blackout rules were suspended.  It was continued for 2016.  I have not heard about 2017, so I very much expect the blackout rule is still suspended (otherwise noise about it's return would have been heard).

It used to be, the blackout radius was 75 miles from the home team city.  And to avoid a blackout, (most) all of the  tickets were needed to be sold (except premium club and luxury suites were exempted)  by 72 hours prior to the game. Teams could 'block off' sections to reduce amount of tickets needed to be sold, but it had to be uniform (all regular and post season games, not a pick and choose deal). The Jax Jags were one that did this because-

Everbank Field is  enormous (to host the Florida / Georgia NCAA game)

Jax is a really small market (huge in area though).

But I doubt the local blackout rule is in place for 2017, nor will it ever come back.