Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recieving Corps

Regardless of our QB situation it seems as though we could possibly have a whole new recieving corps. I'd like to take a look at our guys along with some free agents and draft prospects for the WR/TE positions.

Colts

Reggie Wayne - Would love to see him stay but $$$ could be an issue

Pierre Garcon - Most likely re-signed

Gonzo - I am a big fan of his but his health issues are too big of a problem to keep

Jacob Tamme - see Pierre Garcon

That leaves us Collie, White, Clark, and Eldridge. Collie, eventhough I love him, can't seem to stay healthy. I'm a big fan of Blair White...just thought I'd let you know. I've heard talks of cutting or trading Clark but even if Peyton leaves and we go into full-on rebuild mode I would still want Clark as a proven reciever for our QB of the future. However, I would not be entirely opposed to ditching Clark for the right draft pick or picks.

Free Agents

(only the ones I'm interested in)

Marcus Colston - The Saints will have Brees, Colston, and Nicks to re-sign this year...Brees isn't going anywhere and will be their top priority. imo Nicks should be priority number two...leaving Colston possibly on the outs. Would not mind seeing him in a Colts uni one bit.

Steve Johnson - One of my favorite young recievers in the league. The Bills would be making a big mistake if they let this guy get a way and will likely franchise tag him if a deal can't get done, but nonetheless I thought I'd mention him.

Robert Meachem - If the Saints do happen to sign their big three offensive FAs, I'm not so sure Meachem will stay. He has good hands and plenty of speed and has shown flashes of being a big playmaker. One of his problems is that he seems to be hit or miss from week to week but I believe that comes from the way Brees likes to spread the ball around.

Eric Weems - A very dangerous return man that could possibly give us a spark to our special teams.

Eddie Royal - Another very good returner that had an awesome rookie season but has yet to really produce since then.

Maurice Stovall - I'm a Notre Dame homer...it's kind of bad

John Carlson - see Maurice Stovall

Rookies

(going in order of preference)

Mohamed Sanu- This guy is an absolute beast. If he is there at 34 I want him eventhough we should go NT or CB (not a big fan of Barron)

Nick Toon - Has good size and hands would love this pick as along as its in the third round

Tommy Streeter - He would be above Toon if I didn't think we would have to move into the mid to late second round to get him. He has great size and speed, the only thing that I'm unsure of is his hands, which is not exactly the easiest thing to teach

Coby Fleener - My first TE and my last possible second round pick (pre-combine). If we did get rid of Clark I could see us maybe get a mid-late second rounder along with maybe a fourth or fifth round pick. In this scenario Fleener would be ahead of Toon as far as my personal preferences go, but we have other needs at the moment and spending the 34th pick on Fleener would not be in our best interests imo

Marvin Mcnutt - Mcnutt is this high for me basiclly because of where he is projected as of right now. He is 6-3 and runs a 4.52 40 time which is not the fastest but I'll definatley take it given his size and hands.

DeVeir Posey - He is 6-2 209lbs and runs a 4.54 40 and also has very good hands. He was suspended 5 games (maybe more) for taking too much money during a summer job so he didnt play all that much last year leading to his stock falling to the fourth round. I think by the time the draft is here he will be a third round guy and would gladly spend ours on him.

Joe Adams - Has blazing speed and can be a dangerous returner and is projected in the third-fourth range but in order to get him we would likely have to spend our third on him

Jarius Wright - Adams' teamate who also is a speedster but also is a pretty good route runner as well. I would not mind this pick if we can get him with our second fourth rounder

Ryan Broyles - Would have been at the very least a second round prospect if he hadn't had a knee injury in the later part of the year. Now hes projected in the fifth round, the talent is deffinately there but I'm not sure how his knee will affect him.

Let me know if you agree/disagree/think I'm a complete imbecile/think Einstein needs to get on my level/whatever.

maybe a couple to add, that both showed up pretty well at the Senior Bowl would be:

Brian Quick - Appalachian State - 6'5" 220lbs - Still Kinda raw, but the tools are there and the size is amazing.

Marvin Jones - Cal - 6'3" 202lbs - had quick feet and showed good route running ability with good hands.

Juron Criner - Arizona - 6'5" 215lbs - Not the fastest guy, but is very physical and has good size with soft hands.

Free agency should be used for positions that are harder to transition from college to NFL, IMO - like DT, OG topping the list.

WRs - build through the draft, hungry and can contribute faster than other positions. Draft Tommy Streeter for size and potential, Jarius Wright for speed and route running. Draft a blocking TE and that is all the skill position draft picks we will need - 2 WRs and 1 blocking TE.

Keep all our RBs and TEs. WRs is going to change in free agency with folks leaving, I am sure.

maybe a couple to add, that both showed up pretty well at the Senior Bowl would be:

Brian Quick - Appalachian State - 6'5" 220lbs - Still Kinda raw, but the tools are there and the size is amazing.

Marvin Jones - Cal - 6'3" 202lbs - had quick feet and showed good route running ability with good hands.

Juron Criner - Arizona - 6'5" 215lbs - Not the fastest guy, but is very physical and has good size with soft hands.

Criner is 6'2, but his hands are ridiculously good. Luck would be lucky to have him, but I don't know if he can be a number 1 receiver. He would be an excellent #2 option.

I'll take a look at those guys thanks

from what i have read marvin jones stunk it up at the senior bowl practices... couldn't seperate and was getting jammed by a 5'9 cb....

I reckon that Austin Collie played a full season without missing time. I wouldn't be worried that 'he can't stay healthy'.

Right, what I should have said was his health concerns me because of his 2010 season and his three concussions (forgive me it was three in the morning when i started this). Multiple concussions are nothing to mess with, well supposedly :).

from what i have read marvin jones stunk it up at the senior bowl practices... couldn't seperate and was getting jammed by a 5'9 cb....

These are from NFLDraftCountdown.com:

• California WR Marvin Jones was a revelation. I doubt there were many who were expecting much from Jones but the Cal Bear product proved he belonged with this elite group of talent in Mobile with his performance today. A smooth athlete with sneaky speed and sound technique, Jones consistently got deep for a number of big plays, including one against Leonard Johnson in 1-on-1’s. Keep an eye on this guy!

• Cal WR Marvin Jones is sneaky quick with good footwork. At one point Jones slipped on a curl route but was still able to make the catch. Jones also beat Alfonso Dennard on a deep fly route. Other than a high pass from Kellen Moore that was dropped Jones displayed soft hands.

• Cal WR Marvin Jones continued to shine, making big play after big play. Not only did Jones wreak havoc down the field but he also had a nice diving catch near the sidelines that drew positive commentary from his coaches. Jones also did a nice job of reaching up and extending for the ball at one point but was unable to reel it in. Moore has been nothing short of a revelation this week.

Cal WR Marvin Jones finished up his outstanding week in fine fashion, with his lone catch going for a touchdown. And it was against potential first rounder Janoris Jenkins!

These are from NFLDraftCountdown.com:

• California WR Marvin Jones was a revelation. I doubt there were many who were expecting much from Jones but the Cal Bear product proved he belonged with this elite group of talent in Mobile with his performance today. A smooth athlete with sneaky speed and sound technique, Jones consistently got deep for a number of big plays, including one against Leonard Johnson in 1-on-1’s. Keep an eye on this guy!

• Cal WR Marvin Jones is sneaky quick with good footwork. At one point Jones slipped on a curl route but was still able to make the catch. Jones also beat Alfonso Dennard on a deep fly route. Other than a high pass from Kellen Moore that was dropped Jones displayed soft hands.

• Cal WR Marvin Jones continued to shine, making big play after big play. Not only did Jones wreak havoc down the field but he also had a nice diving catch near the sidelines that drew positive commentary from his coaches. Jones also did a nice job of reaching up and extending for the ball at one point but was unable to reel it in. Moore has been nothing short of a revelation this week.

Cal WR Marvin Jones finished up his outstanding week in fine fashion, with his lone catch going for a touchdown. And it was against potential first rounder Janoris Jenkins!

my mistake i was thinking of dwight jones the wr from north carolina....

That leaves us Collie, White, Clark, and Eldridge. Collie, eventhough I love him, can't seem to stay healthy. I'm a big fan of Blair White...just thought I'd let you know. I've heard talks of cutting or trading Clark but even if Peyton leaves and we go into full-on rebuild mode I would still want Clark as a proven reciever for our QB of the future. However, I would not be entirely opposed to ditching Clark for the right draft pick or picks.

Let me know if you agree/disagree/think I'm a complete imbecile/think Einstein needs to get on my level/whatever.

had we not been the worst team in the NFL last season, i dont think he wouldve missed the few games that he did...but when your team is stinking up the league, why push it on a minor injury?

Personally, I would place Jones right up there with Posey and Criner right after Adams. From what I saw and read on Jones so far, I really like him but would really like to see some more.