Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rashaan Melvin and Secondary

ColtsBlitz

So can we be honest for a minute? I think we underestimated Melvin. I, personally, didn't think Melvin would see a roster spot, much less start over Quincy Wilson, who when healthy, had blanket coverage with slight mistimed swipes to bat away the ball. I am really happy for Melvin to have made such great improvement from last year when he was getting beat by receivers constantly, always out of position to now making 2 interceptions in one game. They may have been 'lucky', but he was in position to make the pick and has definitely improved since last year. 

Our secondary as a whole, we have 4 relatively new players including Melvin: Wilson, Hooker, and Hairston. Going forward, I think our secondary could be much, much better than 2016, even without Davis. Not trying to blow the same horn, but Ballard has helped our franchise take a few steps forward toward a future championship. Defense vastly improved (still needs work) and 1-2 without Luck (same as with Luck last year), I think I'm beginning to see a light near the end of the tunnel. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to jump on the Melvin Wagon three weeks into the season. If the kid is still playing at a high level at the end of the year, then I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I need to see someone like Melvin against a team like the Patriots or Steelers, to see if he can still hold his own against good receivers, who have a top QB throwing them the ball. I know it's the NFL, but when you're playing against guys like Goff and Kizer, it's going to be a lot different when you have guys like Brady and Roethlisberger throwing to guys like Antonio Brown and Brandon Cooks.

3 minutes ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

I'm not going to jump on the Melvin Wagon three weeks into the season. If the kid is still playing at a high level at the end of the year, then I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I need to see someone like Melvin against a team like the Patriots or Steelers, to see if he can still hold his own against good receivers, who have a top QB throwing them the ball. I know it's the NFL, but when you're playing against guys like Goff and Kizer, it's going to be a lot different when you have guys like Brady and Roethlisberger throwing to guys like Antonio Brown and Brandon Cooks.

I agree, but you can't say he hasn't shown improvement. It's a step in the right direction. 

1 minute ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

So Melvin, an UDFA, who has been our #1 so far with Davis out, and who has been playing very well gets no credit.  He has to go against the best possible QB-WR tandem to earn any credit?  That makes 0 sense.  Is he claiming or anyone else claiming he is the best in the league....no!  But you can't say he has been pretty damn good because he hasn't faced Antonio Brown?  That is just baffling.

4 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

So Melvin, an UDFA, who has been our #1 so far with Davis out, and who has been playing very well gets no credit.  He has to go against the best possible QB-WR tandem to earn any credit?  That makes 0 sense.  Is he claiming or anyone else claiming he is the best in the league....no!  But you can't say he has been pretty damn good because he hasn't faced Antonio Brown?  That is just baffling.

Agree. Bottom line is: Melvin is playing well, better than any of us thought he would or could. 

28 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

You have to win at least 9 Super Bowls before some posters will give our players/team any credit.  

39 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

So can we be honest for a minute? I think we underestimated Melvin. I, personally, didn't think Melvin would see a roster spot, much less start over Quincy Wilson, who when healthy, had blanket coverage with slight mistimed swipes to bat away the ball. I am really happy for Melvin to have made such great improvement from last year when he was getting beat by receivers constantly, always out of position to now making 2 interceptions in one game. They may have been 'lucky', but he was in position to make the pick and has definitely improved since last year. 

Yes, let's be honest.

All credit to Melvin for making the play on the ball when he had the chance. Some guys can't do that... 

That said, neither play was a good play for him. On the first, I think he had outside coverage on a quarter zone coverage (maybe thirds coverage?), and the ball bounced his way. Not bad coverage by him, but not good coverage either. That's not to say he did anything wrong, just that the throw was errant and he was the beneficiary.

The second play, he was beat, and again was the beneficiary of an errant throw.

He was beat a couple other times, including giving up a TD despite PI, and then another PI. He also had some good plays in coverage.

He's still not a good cover corner. He struggles to mirror receivers, and while he's feisty at the point and will compete and knock some balls out, he doesn't typically find the ball before it gets to the receiver. He's playing better, making plays, and has tackled better the last two weeks than he did in the opener. I think he's a backup outside corner, at best, and we're using him as a starter for the second season. 

38 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Not at all.  Absolutely no credit whatsoever regardless of how good he plays until the season is over.....true  But good news is that it sounds like if Melvin is still playing at a high level at the end of the year, then the poster  *might* give him the "benefit of the doubt".  Not "credit" mind you, but Melvin would advance to someone the poster *might* consider giving credit to, further down the road sometime.    

Melvin was probably the only bright spot of the many journeymen the Colts had to acquire last year due to missing pieces all over the place. So I fully expected him to be make the roster, and not only make it, but actually be the starter opposite to Davis until Quincy WIlson gets up to NFL speed. Not because I believe he is an above average NFL corner, but a dependable, serviceable guy, with some experience in the Colts system. He could have helped Wilson to pick up things faster.

Davis's injury rewrote the story, both Wilson and Melvin were forced to start. That's not ideal, I would prefer to see Melvin in rotation, but anyway, he is proving that last year wasn't fluke, he can play football. It's really promising, that alongside of the aging, but still good Davis, the Colts might have a potential future true #1 in Wilson, and a dependable veteran in Melvin. Add Nate Hairston to the group (who is - for me at least - probably the most pleasant surprise so far), and the the Colts cornerback group looks quite nice in the not-so-distant future. (E.g. in a year or two, considering, that cornerback is one of the most difficult positions to learn nowadays.)

20 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

Melvin was probably the only bright spot of the many journeymen the Colts had to acquire last year due to missing pieces all over the place. So I fully expected him to be make the roster, and not only make it, but actually be the starter opposite to Davis until Quincy WIlson gets up to NFL speed. Not because I believe he is an above average NFL corner, but a dependable, serviceable guy, with some experience in the Colts system. He could have helped Wilson to pick up things faster.

Davis's injury rewrote the story, both Wilson and Melvin were forced to start. That's not ideal, I would prefer to see Melvin in rotation, but anyway, he is proving that last year wasn't fluke, he can play football. It's really promising, that alongside of the aging, but still good Davis, the Colts might have a potential future true #1 in Wilson, and a dependable veteran in Melvin. Add Nate Hairston to the group (who is - for me at least - probably the most pleasant surprise so far), and the the Colts cornerback group looks quite nice in the not-so-distant future. (E.g. in a year or two, considering, that cornerback is one of the most difficult positions to learn nowadays.)

Davis' injury could be a blessing in disguise. It would have been nice to have Davis in there...but the Colts should still be 2-1 (the Colts weren't winning game one with or without Davis). And they didn't lose game 2 because of the CBs. Getting both Wilson and Melvin valuable experience early in the season could pay dividends down the road (both in this season and going forward).

I am not close to writing off this season. Getting a healthy secondary and the Colts defense could surprise people even more. The only true weakness appears to be the LBs (minus Simon).

Not having an athletic ILB/s that can cover is a big issue...and not making more of an effort to acquire one was a miscalculation on Ballard's part. Watching Zach Brown last night annoyed me. He was the perfect fit. But they liked Spence instead. So put him out there dammit...I think he could surprise some people. 

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Not having an athletic ILB/s that can cover is a big issue...and not making more of an effort to acquire one was a miscalculation on Ballard's part. Watching Zach Brown last night annoyed me. He was the perfect fit. But they liked Spence instead. So put him out there dammit...I think he could surprise some people

Could not agree more with this.  We still have that huge whole and Zach Brown would have been the perfect addition.  I was not a fan of watching him play and hear his name mentioned.  All 3 of there ILB's are Free Agents next year.  I see them resigning him though.  I hope we address this in FA or Draft.

5 minutes ago, Grind Hard said:

Rashaan Melvin flashed on tape to me last year, I knew going into his 2nd year in our defense that he would improve.

He has been a much better corner than Patrick Robinson or Greg Toler has ever been, don't see where you goes are saying that he cant play

To be fair comparing him to Toler/Robinson isnt exactly setting the bar high haha

47 minutes ago, Grind Hard said:

Rashaan Melvin flashed on tape to me last year, I knew going into his 2nd year in our defense that he would improve.

He has been a much better corner than Patrick Robinson or Greg Toler has ever been, don't see where you goes are saying that he cant play

This is a testament to the power of reduced expectations. Melvin gets beat just as much as Toler did.

49 minutes ago, Grind Hard said:

Agreed but after the Preseason I was worried about the entire Secondary

I can't lie.

When I saw the title, the first thing that crossed my mind was.....

" if you don't know me by now..... you will never, ever, ever, know me, oooooh"

Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes.

O.K., enough useless random thoughts by buccolts.

I'm pretty happy with his play the past couple of games. 

I think a couple of the penalties on him have been pretty bogus, as well.

Actually, I'm pretty happy with our DBs overall so far this season.

In regards to T.J. Green starting week one, and limited snaps since then, seems like he's being taught/coached that he needs to earn his PT. 

Indulge me if you will.....

Game 1 - started

Game 2 - 1 defensive snap & 2 teams 

Game 3 - 1 defensive snap & 21 teams

So he has 60+ defensive snaps showing poor technique in virtually every way so now they *should be* using that to teach him the position.

Week 2 he saw the field very little - perhaps he wasn't taking to the coaching very well?

Week 3 he sees every teams snap and perhaps showing the coaching staff that he's coachable now thus earning some PT.

As the season progresses perhaps they will continue to refine his technique and we'll see him on the field more.

This approach is made available due to Melvin, Wilson, Hairston, Desir and Fairley all playing well, respectfully.

T.J. has the physical attributes and though He's not tapping into them fully now I hope he harnesses all that talent. It will only improve our long term depth. So keep him on the sidelines and watch until he's ready!

13 minutes ago, Jesse Lafantaisie said:

For the PPF nonsense melvin had 4 pd and 2ints. Not 2 and 2. Penalizing a player for getting beat and then getting an interception is the stupid thing I have ever heard. There are many times a cb has been beat only to make a fantastic pass break up. As for melvin hes been a surprise but I doubt he keeps it up all season.

Deion Sanders made a career out of it.   I'm not  trying to say Melvin is deion.  But he boasted about making the qb think he was beat  do he would throw the ball

21 hours ago, Xander said:

PFF is right. Melvin was beat, but Kizer couldn't hit his WR. 

Melvin is a great depth player, that's all. 

In week two of this season, Rashad Melvin graded out to be the highest ranked cornerback in the entire NFL.   

Then in week three, he followed up with two interceptions.  

I think there's a decent chance that Melvin is a little more than a depth player.

22 hours ago, Superman said:

This is a testament to the power of reduced expectations. Melvin gets beat just as much as Toler did.

Yes...   because we all know how many times Toler graded out as the best corner in the entire NFL in any given week for the Colts like Melvin did in week two.

And we all know how many times Toler followed up with two interceptions in a game, like Melvin just did.

This is yet another disappointing campaign for you.    You repeatedly said Melvin didn't belong on the Colts roster last year.   Then, when he played decently you allowed that Melvin could be on the roster,  but his ceiling would never be more than a 4th corner.   

Be honest....   you were hoping Ballard would cut him before the season.

Now he's playing well and here you are two weeks in a row bad mouthing and downplaying what Melvin has done every chance you get.

Color me unimpressed.   

I look forward to you claiming I somehow waterboarded you and put words in your mouth.    

Where has Superman gone?

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes...   because we all know how many times Toler graded out as the best corner in the entire NFL in any given week for the Colts like Melvin did in week two.

And we all know how many times Toler followed up with two interceptions in a game, like Melvin just did.

This is yet another disappointing campaign for you.    You repeatedly said Melvin didn't belong on the Colts roster last year.   Then, when he played decently you allowed that Melvin could be on the roster,  but his ceiling would never be more than a 4th corner.   

Be honest....   you were hoping Ballard would cut him before the season.

Now he's playing well and here you are two weeks in a row bad mouthing and downplaying what Melvin has done every chance you get.

Color me unimpressed.   

I look forward to you claiming I somehow waterboarded you and put words in your mouth.    

Where has Superman gone?

Love me some Supes but I do think he's holding on to this one harder than anything I've seen before.   No I don't think Melvin equals Toler.