Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indy vs Seattle Defensive Stats

bigt

This may have been discussed already.  If so, go ahead and delete this topic.  I thought we might be in for a lot of trouble against Seattle's vaunted D, but, after looking at the stats, I feel a little better.  All of the following rankings are in terms of yards given up per game.  Total D - Indy 30th. Seattle 25th.

Rush D - Indy 12th. Seattle 30th.     Pass D - Indy 30th. Seattle 11th.   Takeaway giveaway differential.  Indy 0. Seattle +1.  So,  it looks like Seattle only has a  slight defensive advantage.  Home field definitely help them out, unfortunately.

Seattle defense is not what it was a few years ago (especially in the front), but don't let yourselves fooled, they are still a very good squad. Not even comparable to the Colts, just-geling-full-of-youngsters-hit-by-injuries defense. Brissett will have a difficult time to move the ball against them. And on the other side of the ball, if there is a type of QB the Colts defense is vulnerable to, it is the quick, slippery mobile QB-s like Wilson, who can get out of the pocket quickly and make plays on the move.

On the other side, this Colts team is as unpredictable as a team can be. And it's like that for years now. They sometimes bite the dust and loose badly to teams they suppose to beat easily, then the next week they beat a team they supposed to loose to. So, who knows? As much as I can imagine a close game, I can also imagine a 40 points defeat....

11 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

Seattle defense is not what it was a few years ago (especially in the front), but don't let yourselves fooled, they are still a very good squad. Not even comparable to the Colts, just-geling-full-of-youngsters-hit-by-injuries defense. Brissett will have a difficult time to move the ball against them. And on the other side of the ball, if there is a type of QB the Colts defense is vulnerable to, it is the quick, slippery mobile QB-s like Wilson, who can get out of the pocket quickly and make plays on the move.

On the other side, this Colts team is as unpredictable as a team can be. And it's like that for years now. They sometimes bite the dust and loose badly to teams they suppose to beat easily, then the next week they beat a team they supposed to loose to. So, who knows? As much as I can imagine a close game, I can also imagine a 40 points defeat....

yep, which Colts team is gonna show up is the biggest question mark going into this game.

4 hours ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Jeez...and to think I thought so far we've been better on Defense this year. Still ranked towards the bottom.

Yardage is a terrible way to rank a defense. The Rams game was legitimately bad, but the Cardinals game was a different story. Only gave up 16 points, including OT, kept them out of the end zone mostly, and had a big takeaway near the end zone. The passing defense did give up a lot of yards, but they held tough and kept points off the board.

Yesterday, they forced three turnovers, and gave up a lot of yards late in the game under desperation circumstances.

The passing defense isn't very good, but the run defense is pretty good so far.

This will be a very tough week for us. Having a quarterback who has only been here a few weeks going into Seattle with that crowd noise will be scary. Plus our defense is far from stout so Seattle will probably get it going on that side of the ball and Seahawks fans will think they have it fixed.

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

He needs to find more than just hilton if we are to win.moncrief and other receivers need to show up.

I almost 100% certain moncrief will be non existent especially if he sees Kam running toward him..he seems scared to get hit since being injured 

I think we're going to play pretty good defense against Seattle.  I think the communication gets better having guys like Vontae and Darius Butler out

there along with the the young guys.  I don't know what our plan is going to

be when it comes to dealing with Jimmy Graham and the other young tight

end though .

This article is included within another thread but worth sharing here also.  Gives some more stats on the Colts D through week 3 and has some signs of encouragement, although there are definitely things still to work on....

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/9/26/16364742/colts-defense-is-looking-for-an-identity

All I know is I am a lot happier with out defense than I was last year, and that is before Vontae gets back in, which will hopefully be this weekend.

I was well on board the Seahawks Superbowl hype train before the season, especially with the acquisition of Richardson, but it just hasn't happened for them, which seems to be the story every year before they pick up momentum for a strong post-season push....here's hoping that starts in week 5!

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think we're going to play pretty good defense against Seattle.  I think the communication gets better having guys like Vontae and Darius Butler out

there along with the the young guys.  I don't know what our plan is going to

be when it comes to dealing with Jimmy Graham and the other young tight

end though .

The fortunate part is that the Seahawks still haven't really figured out how to use Graham yet.

11 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

This article is included within another thread but worth sharing here also.  Gives some more stats on the Colts D through week 3 and has some signs of encouragement, although there are definitely things still to work on....

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/9/26/16364742/colts-defense-is-looking-for-an-identity

All I know is I am a lot happier with out defense than I was last year, and that is before Vontae gets back in, which will hopefully be this weekend.

I was well on board the Seahawks Superbowl hype train before the season, especially with the acquisition of Richardson, but it just hasn't happened for them, which seems to be the story every year before they pick up momentum for a strong post-season push....here's hoping that starts in week 5!

Seahawks O-Line is terrible. If they had an average O-line, they'd be dominating right now. 

14 hours ago, Superman said:

Yardage is a terrible way to rank a defense. The Rams game was legitimately bad, but the Cardinals game was a different story. Only gave up 16 points, including OT, kept them out of the end zone mostly, and had a big takeaway near the end zone. The passing defense did give up a lot of yards, but they held tough and kept points off the board.

Yesterday, they forced three turnovers, and gave up a lot of yards late in the game under desperation circumstances.

I agree....there is a fine line to measuring the defense. Obviously points at the end of the day is what matters....scoring more than your opponent. Bend but don't break...however when it comes time to win the big games those teams that execute well will turn those 3's into 7's more often than not. I agree situational football (getting off the field on 3rd down etc) is a better indicator than simply yards...its when and how they get those yards and points. I'm pleased with our defensive front so far...I'd like more pass rush but Simon has been disruptive at least. If we could land that elite edge player somehow and then stiffen up our LB play (sorry not super happy with how Bostic/Morrison and company has done) I like the trend with the defense and I think with Kelly and Luck back on offense things will get better on that side too. I know are schedule gets more difficult as the season moves on but if we win our divisional games we should have a good shot at the playoffs.

24 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I think once Vontae, Wilson, and Hooker are all on the field at the same time, we will see an improved pass defense. 

Hairston is balling out as well. 

I know our backups aren't great but Melvin and Hairston are getting real meaningful playing time and while yes they are giving up some plays they are making plays too. Its exciting to know if someone goes down they at least have some experience to step in and play with confidence. Its a young secondary but it has a lot of upside.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I know our backups aren't great but Melvin and Hairston are getting real meaningful playing time and while yes they are giving up some plays they are making plays too. Its exciting to know if someone goes down they at least have some experience to step in and play with confidence. Its a young secondary but it has a lot of upside.

Agreed. it will be nice to have some quality depth for once. 

Plus, Vontae gets hurt quite often, so it's great to have Melvin!

I think while our pass defense will get better as the rookies get more comfortable, and when Vontae comes back, they're still gonna struggle if we can't get pressure on the QB.

I think we have the talent to get to the QB though, or at least get pressure. Simon, Hankins, Sheard, we have guys that can do it. They too should get better as hey get more acclimated.

One guy I'd be looking to utilize in the blitz situations is Farley. He just seems to know how to get into the backfield.

On 9/25/2017 at 4:27 PM, Peterk2011 said:

I dont think we will have a hard time moving the ball on the Seahawks, if Brissett and Hilton can get on the same page as they did last week the game will be close. look at our history with the Seahawks we have been able to move the ball on them.

We just need to play fearless...and aggressive. Bullies don't like it when you punch them back....we need to play with the same sense of energy and passion as say Tennessee and Washington did last week. Sometimes we play against these elite teams and its like we are defeated before taking the field....oh we can't stop Pittsburg or New England stole my lunch money...we just need to come out playing confidently and execute.

47 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We just need to play fearless...and aggressive. Bullies don't like it when you punch them back....we need to play with the same sense of energy and passion as say Tennessee and Washington did last week. Sometimes we play against these elite teams and its like we are defeated before taking the field....oh we can't stop Pittsburg or New England stole my lunch money...we just need to come out playing confidently and execute.

The fact that we got a quarterback from New England probably helps us.  I don't think there's a franchise in the current era who has come from behind and punched above their weight more frequently than the Patriots do.  Brissett knows their system and he's seen that champion's attitude at work, and they praised Brissett's leadership bigtime when he got dragged off the bench and into a starting role still wet behind the ears last year. 

I think that's a large part of why he's here -- Brissett is a step down in talent from Andrew Luck, but he's shown a great deal of promise as a leader, and he won't go down without a fight just because the challenge is hard.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

We need the same energy level as the Green Bay and Minnesota games from last year

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:49 AM, Fisticuffs111 said:

I think while our pass defense will get better as the rookies get more comfortable, and when Vontae comes back, they're still gonna struggle if we can't get pressure on the QB.

I think we have the talent to get to the QB though, or at least get pressure. Simon, Hankins, Sheard, we have guys that can do it. They too should get better as hey get more acclimated.

One guy I'd be looking to utilize in the blitz situations is Farley. He just seems to know how to get into the backfield.

Agreed...I also like how well Hunt is playing so far. I would also like to see more of George.

19 hours ago, George Peterson said:

The fact that we got a quarterback from New England probably helps us.  I don't think there's a franchise in the current era who has come from behind and punched above their weight more frequently than the Patriots do.  Brissett knows their system and he's seen that champion's attitude at work, and they praised Brissett's leadership bigtime when he got dragged off the bench and into a starting role still wet behind the ears last year. 

I think that's a large part of why he's here -- Brissett is a step down in talent from Andrew Luck, but he's shown a great deal of promise as a leader, and he won't go down without a fight just because the challenge is hard.

I agree...Jacoby plays with a lot of poise for a young qb and bounced back well from his game ending pick a couple weeks ago. I don't think he will be rattled by the Seahawks....if the line will hold up I think our defense will do alright keeping us in the game. I look for a low scoring affair and if we just take care of the ball I think we can be in it in the 4th quarter.

17 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Why do you expect that?

Seattle D gassed badly at the end. While I guess it's theoretically possible that Colts could control the TOP like the Titans did early on, this game is projected to have 30F less temperature. I think the almost 90 degree heat along with early offensive struggles were just too much on the Seahawks D at the end.

On 9/25/2017 at 3:31 PM, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Jeez...and to think I thought so far we've been better on Defense this year. Still ranked towards the bottom.

On 9/25/2017 at 3:36 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I think the Rams game probably skewed these stats a bit. That, and the fact that we gave up 2 big plays to Arizona. Run D is WAY better though.

On 9/25/2017 at 8:04 PM, Superman said:

:thanks:

Hopefully the Rams game is an anomaly.  Every team has at least one bad game every year.  Some are just worse than others.

I'd rather have our worst game right off the bat and continually improve throughout the year.

:clover:

Saw in a preview of the match up that Wilson has been good at passes of 20+ yards and our D has the most 20+ yard passes thrown against them.

If we can contain Wilson's running or escaping and can control the long ball would put us in good shape!

If Chuckie and Monafrappacino would/could/try to actually game plan for this (do the even game plan?) think it will help JMO.

Go Colts

Can we have a little perspective here.

We have played the Rams, Browns and Arizona.

Seattle has played Green Bay, Titans and 49ers.

Let's just say they've played much better competition than we have.  And also to have played those teams and still be 30th in passing D is quite alarming, even if it is only yards allowed.  A 2nd year QB who looked terrible his rookie year, a rookie QB who has no weapons on the outside and an over the hill QB who was missing wide open receivers.  And we're still 30th in pass D?  We need more pass rush.  It can't just be Simon and a prayer.

43 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

:thanks:

Hopefully the Rams game is an anomaly.  Every team has at least one bad game every year.  Some are just worse than others.

I'd rather have our worst game right off the bat and continually improve throughout the year.

:clover:

It's amazing how the defense immediately got better as soon as TJ Green was removed from the equation. I've defended that dude plenty, but he's just not good. I really hope we can find a role for him, because it'd be a shame for that draft pick to be a total waste. I could see him maybe being a factor as a LB in passing situations here and there, but he's simply not NFL starting safety or CB material. That experiment is over.