Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Amazing how talent all of the sudden makes a good coach.

SC-Coltsfan

1 minute ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

Grigson paid Laron Landry $24 Million to come play here.

Ballard drafted Malik Hooker.

Hooker in three games already has more INT's over Landry. Heck, he had more than Landry after week one. All that muscle and the guy couldn't tackle or cover anyone.

he was too busy kissing his biceps to play football.  Landry was a huge disappointment.  HUGE

13 minutes ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

The players Grigson brought in while Manuskey was here was a joke.

Plus the Redskins landed Zach Brown in free agency. He was the one guy I thought could really improve our defense. He's an upgrade over what we have now, but I can't remember the last time the Colts had a top 5 MLB on their roster.

Yeah you're right. Brown played a great game. He is definitely a difference maker.

29 minutes ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

Plus the Redskins landed Zach Brown in free agency. He was the one guy I thought could really improve our defense. He's an upgrade over what we have now, but I can't remember the last time the Colts had a top 5 MLB on their roster.

Too bad he didn't sign Brown and Zeitler.  

29 minutes ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

Hooker in three games already has more INT's over Landry. Heck, he had more than Landry after week one. All that muscle and the guy couldn't tackle or cover anyone.

hooker is basically a prototype free safety and landry was a strong safety.  he did disappoint though 

57 minutes ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

The Redskins defense last night was amazing. I had no idea Manusky was their DC. We never came close to playing at that level the 4 years he was here.

32 minutes ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

33 minutes ago, csmopar said:

yet another ding against Grigson.   That dude should seriously have to repay the Colts for his salary for the time he was here and reimburse the fans for going to the games.

28 minutes ago, csmopar said:

he was too busy kissing his biceps to play football.  Landry was a huge disappointment.  HUGE

Manusky was never the issue, it was always Grigson. I don't think Pep was that bad either, all got fired to save face for the 2 people who actually were the REAL problem. Grigson & Pagano 

And you can add Jim Irsay to the problem list too, he's just as guilty 

Just now, TKnight24 said:

Manusky was never the issue, it was always Grigson. I don't think Pep was that bad either, all got fired to save face for the 2 people who actually were the REAL problem. Grigson & Pagano 

I honestly think Pep and this offense could have worked if Chris Ballard was here. If the Colts can just figure out the offensive line, then everything else will fall into place. If Pep had a strong offensive line protecting Luck and opening holes, then he could quite possibly turn this offense into a top 5 monster with a little time. I didn't mind Hamilton. It was Grigson who failed to address the line, while trading away first round picks for people like Richardson. Poor Pep.

3 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Yeah, I wanna know what dirt Pagano has on Irsay!

48 minutes ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

Week 2.  Hooker made his first Int in week 2. 

47 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

I do remember people's opinion on Manusky, when he was here. As much as I remember people's opinion on Jim Caldwell, when he was here. It wasn't pretty on neither of them. Especially on Caldwell.

A few years later, Manusky displays some competence in his job, and now he wasn't the problem. Caldwell's been displaying competence for a few years now, and looks like he wasn't the problem neither.  (Btw., he just had his job extended in Detroit yesterday.)

Now, it's Pagano. He is the incapable one. Will I be surprised if Pagano will be fired next january, and then, he'll be a decent coach somewhere else in a few years time? Hell, no. :)

39 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

I do remember people's opinion on Manusky, when he was here. As much as I remember people's opinion on Jim Caldwell, when he was here. It wasn't pretty on neither of them. Especially on Caldwell.

A few years later, Manusky displays some competence in his job, and now he wasn't the problem. Caldwell's been displaying competence for a few years now, and looks like he wasn't the problem neither.  (Btw., he just had his job extended in Detroit yesterday.)

Now, it's Pagano. He is the incapable one. Will I be surprised if Pagano will be fired next january, and then, he'll be a decent coach somewhere else in a few years time? Hell, no. :)

Sums it up pretty well.

I believe the biggest complaint with Manusky was that he was too vanilla and didn't know how to scheme pressure without blitzing. I remember those two complaints very clearly.

The Redskins played well last night, they match up well against the Oakland D.  But this is the same Manusky that allowed the Eagles to drop 30 on them and let the Rams.  

Manusky is not has bad as Marchino but he's not a great DC.  He is good at developing an initial game plan but he becomes too predictable with his blitzes. Watch around weeks 6-8 Washington will start giving up more yards and more points.

So for years the consensus opinion was that Caldwell sucked.    Now he just got a new contract extension from the GM who did NOT hire him.

People here hated Manusky despite the fact he got very little draft or free agent help for his defense.    Now he's got more talent and suddenly he looks like a decent D.C.

As for Pep, don't know if anyone has noticed, he's Hugh Jacksons right hand man.    I believe Jackson is calling his own plays.   Hamilton is only serving as the eyes in the sky.   Pep is telling Hugh the defenses he's seeing and making recommendations,  but it's Jackson who is running the offense.    Pep Was not good as our OC.    And the best job he could get was the title of OC without the responsibility.

The point is noticing what happens to our coaches once they move on.    We will see if history repeats itself with Pagano.

17 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

So maybe firing the coaches isn't the solution?

I've had to endure Philadelphia sports talk radio (especially when the Eagles win).

A lot of fans called in (after a win against the Giants) and wanted Pederson gone, for going for it on 4th & 8.

This is the same fan base that wanted Andy Reid gone. I couldn't help but think of the similarities between the Eagles and Colts fan bases.

I would imagine the same mentality in the Seahawks and Falcons fan bases, after their respective SB debacles.

I know I'm in a minority but I think Pagano is doing a decent job, despite his mistakes. ALL COACHES MAKE MISTAKES.

I may be wrong but I just want to see how he does with Luck, Kelly, Rogers, Mack, Swoope,Wilson, Davis, Goode and Geathers returning. That's a list of some pretty good players. If players make coaching look good, I don't it's unreasonable to hope the team will progress as the year goes on. 

Lot of revisionist history in here. I wouldn't say Manusky is great. He's not terrible either. Grigson gave him nothing to work with, but his schemes weren't that great. Didn't know when to and when not to dial up a blitz. Under him the Colts gave up a lot of big plays, which was the Achilles heel of our team, although we still have that problem today.

20 hours ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

I honestly think Pep and this offense could have worked if Chris Ballard was here. If the Colts can just figure out the offensive line, then everything else will fall into place. If Pep had a strong offensive line protecting Luck and opening holes, then he could quite possibly turn this offense into a top 5 monster with a little time. I didn't mind Hamilton. It was Grigson who failed to address the line, while trading away first round picks for people like Richardson. Poor Pep.

Pep ran the same offense that Harbaugh runs and that he would run if he becomes HC in Indy.  And no one would have a problem with it if he comes and does that.  The problem was the GM, despite many resources used, couldn't draft a good lineman and the HC couldn't develop marginal linemen into solid players.

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I may be wrong but I just want to see how he does with Luck, Kelly, Rogers, Mack, Swoope,Wilson, Davis, Goode and Geathers returning. That's a list of some pretty good players. If players make coaching look good, I don't it's unreasonable to hope the team will progress as the year goes on. 

This is a sensible approach. He has had a terrible start to 2017 but we have to consider the circumstances. He's missing a bunch of starters and Luck, who is the team's most valuable asset.

I absolutely hated his approach to the second half of last week's game, but let's let this year play out with returning starters. 

Of all the firings we had since Chuck Manusky was the one that I felt the least confident in. He was rarely given any talent to work with and STILL had some really good defensive games. There is a different between bad schemes and bad talent and we all remember how poor our run defense alwayd was, how our linebackers and secondary can't defend the pass... Not saying it was a a huge mistake getting rid of him or anything, but I would have liked to see what he could do with personnel who get the job done and at least a couple more actual playmakers.

On 9/26/2017 at 11:20 AM, MackAttack said:

did you see the play calling on offense for the redskins? Their defense was masterful too. They played a hell of a game at home against the Raiders 

To be honest, the play calling wasn't as good as what I am seeing out of the Rams. The Rams' are getting a lot of pre-snap motion and keeping Ds on their toes and that offense from last year and this year, it is night and day. Sean McVay and Matt LeFleur (who had good years with RG3 and Matt Ryan) are both doing a good job putting Goff and that offense in a good position, IMO. Plus, the Redskins' OL dominated the Raiders for the most part as the game went on and I was shocked the Raiders' OL, one of the best last year, is not getting the same kind of results as last year.

Manusky was well prepared for the game, Downing was not.

Redskins had played a lot of man coverage in the first 2 games, against the Raiders they played mostly zone. On at least few occasions, Redskins D seemed to know what kind of play the Raiders O was running.

On 9/26/2017 at 6:06 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Lot of revisionist history in here. I wouldn't say Manusky is great. He's not terrible either. Grigson gave him nothing to work with, but his schemes weren't that great. Didn't know when to and when not to dial up a blitz. Under him the Colts gave up a lot of big plays, which was the Achilles heel of our team, although we still have that problem today.

The year Mathis sat out with his achilies injury,  Manusky schemed the Colts to 40 sacks.    

You can look it up.

Manusky had little talent to work with.      It's been proven here,  and it's being proved in Washington that if you give him a decent amount of talent,  he can do something with it.

It just doesn't fit your view of the world which has repeatedly been proven wrong.

On 9/26/2017 at 1:29 AM, NewColtsFan said:

So for years the consensus opinion was that Caldwell sucked.    Now he just got a new contract extension from the GM who did NOT hire him.

People here hated Manusky despite the fact he got very little draft or free agent help for his defense.    Now he's got more talent and suddenly he looks like a decent D.C.

As for Pep, don't know if anyone has noticed, he's Hugh Jacksons right hand man.    I believe Jackson is calling his own plays.   Hamilton is only serving as the eyes in the sky.   Pep is telling Hugh the defenses he's seeing and making recommendations,  but it's Jackson who is running the offense.    Pep Was not good as our OC.    And the best job he could get was the title of OC without the responsibility.

The point is noticing what happens to our coaches once they move on.    We will see if history repeats itself with Pagano.

Pep Hamilton is not with Hugh Jackson at Cleveland   He is the assistant HC and passing game coordinator for Michigan.     If Harbaugh comes here as HC Pep will be back 

If Harbaugh comes back, he may bring Pep with him.  (He did not bring Pep with him to SF)

But I doubt he'd bring Pep as his OC.    He's not the OC with Michigan.    Harbaugh is willing to give out the title and salary, but less willing to give out the important responsibilities.    Pep has input, but limited say in the offense.    That's how Harbaugh operates.

Thanks for for the correction on Pep.    He at first accepted a job with Cleveland, but then accepted the job with Michigan.   My bad.

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Harbaugh comes back, he may bring Pep with him.  (He did not bring Pep with him to SF)

But I doubt he'd bring Pep as his OC.    He's not the OC with Michigan.    Harbaugh is willing to give out the title and salary, but less willing to give out the important responsibilities.    Pep has input, but limited say in the offense.    That's how Harbaugh operates.

Thanks for for the correction on Pep.    He at first accepted a job with Cleveland, but then accepted the job with Michigan.   My bad.

Harbaugh OC at Stanford was David Shaw.   Shaw will probably never leave Stanford.  But he started as the Offensive pass game coordinator at San Diego for Harbaugh when he was there and when he went to Stanford he made him the OC.  I am sure if he had the choice he would have brought Shaw with him to the 9ers. But Shaw landed his dream job and promoted Pep to OC from WR coach.   Not guaranteeing that Harbaugh would bring back Pep but it wouldn't surprise me with the chemistry he already has with Luck....  

those who who want Harbaugh and hated Pep might want to think about this