Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2nd Half Play-Calling Explained

TKnight24

Random thoughts...

-Kizer isn't the only player on the Browns who can make plays

-Momentum is a powerful force in football

-Footballs take unpredictable bounces

-Playing not to lose, is a losers mentality

-The Browns were 1 catch from kicking a game tying field goal and sending the game to OT. (See week 2)

IMO, That statement is alarming.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Chud does, but every playcall comes through that HC headset. So it's also on Pagano. He has the authority to make changes if he wants. 

I'm not saying don't milk the clock, but you still have to move the ball and think touchdown. No lead is safe until the clock hits 0:00 

That is not true.  Pagano cannot change the play if he wants.  He can tell Chud to quit being conservative, or mor conservative or to pass more.  But it's not a good idea for the HC to question the coordinator during the game.

I put the offensive play calling on Chud.  I am VERY disappointed in his offensive game planning.  I really hoped for and expected better from him, upon replacing Pep Hamilton, but since his first half year, last year and this year so far, I see the same old predictability and inability to creatively use the talent available in a consistent way and make some smart play calling when games are on the line.

11 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I put the offensive play calling on Chud.  I am VERY disappointed in his offensive game planning.  I really hoped for and expected better from him, upon replacing Pep Hamilton, but since his first half year, last year and this year so far, I see the same old predictability and inability to creatively use the talent available in a consistent way and make some smart play calling when games are on the line.

It was a decision to go conservative on both O and D, so that falls back to the HC.

@Superman said it was a combination of penalties and run blocking.  When the D is lining up with everyone in the box on first down and you continually try to pound it for no gain, it's like the definition of...well, we all know that one.

They went Prevent from the last couple minutes of the second half.  That backfired against Cincy and if the Browns weren't inept, it would have against us too. 

I was at the game and could only bear to re-watch to the point where we were up 28-7 last night.  I didn't want to get my blood pressure soaring.  I'll try to watch the rest tonight (maybe) but from what I saw while I was there, it was total coaching failure overcome by pure luck that we won.

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

It was a decision to go conservative on both O and D, so that falls back to the HC.

@Superman said it was a combination of penalties and run blocking.  When the D is lining up with everyone in the box on first down and you continually try to pound it for no gain, it's like the definition of...well, we all know that one.

They went Prevent from the last couple minutes of the second half.  That backfired against Cincy and if the Browns weren't inept, it would have against us too. 

I was at the game and could only bear to re-watch to the point where we were up 28-7 last night.  I didn't want to get my blood pressure soaring.  I'll try to watch the rest tonight (maybe) but from what I saw while I was there, it was total coaching failure overcome by pure luck that we won.

I do wonder,  just how much autonomy is an OC given, under Pagano?  If I am OC, EYE (I) am making the play calls and I will live and die by how effective I am.  If the HC starts micromanaging my game planning, then I have a BIG complaint.  Sure, I would be more than happy to talk about things with the HC and GM, but at the end of the day, my job is dependent upon MY offense's performance and I am not going to let MY game plan be undermined by an inept head coach.  Ergo, I am more than willing to take a philosophical stand.  IF the HC doesn't like the way that I am going to coach the game-plan, then I would ask why did you make me OC and that if you are not going to trust me, then you ought to fire me.

Then, this last Colts game as an example, on 1st down at the 2:03 mark of the fourth quarter, with nothing to gain clockwise in running a "running" play, I am faking the predictable and expected run up the gut, rolling the QB out after the fake on an option run / conservative dump off pass.  If the HC doesn't like that, then he can express his displeasure with me after the game and I will happily argue and debate the point.  In game, though, I am going to call the plays with prudent aggressiveness, so as to put the game away with a first down.

6 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I do wonder,  just how much autonomy is an OC given, under Pagano?  If I am OC, EYE (I) am making the playcalls and I will live and die by how effective I am.  If the HC starts micromanaging my game planning, then I have a BIG complaint.  Sure, I would be more than happy to talk about things with the HC and GM, but at the end of the day, my job is dependent upon MY offense's performance and I am not going to let MY game plan be undermined by an inept head coach.  Ergo, I am more than willing to take a philosophical stand.  IF the HC doesn't like the way that I am going to coach the game-plan, then I would ask why did you make me OC and that if you are not going to trust me, then you ought to fire me.

I am confused here...are you insinuating that Pagano undermines Chud?  

Does an OC go into a game plan with the HC, yes more than likely.  This does not mean that Pagano is telling Chud what plays to run and switching up his game plan.  I am not a huge fan of Chud, but he is good at his job (to an extent in my eyes) and has been able to gain a solid reputation.  So why would you think Pags is holding a microscope over him?

It is fine to go a little conservative with a decent lead. HOWEVER you still can't stick with what is not working e.g./running up the gut with no results and expecting our D to hold the opponent throughout the 2nd half.

Don't really care who exactly or what combo to blame. We all saw the same game and hopefully (though rarely) the coaching staff would either go back to attacking (which worked great in the 1st half) or at least try to mix it up when it was clearly NOT working what they were doing.

59 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Then, this last Colts game as an example, on 1st down at the 2:03 mark of the fourth quarter, with nothing to gain clockwise in running a "running" play, I am faking the predictable and expected run up the gut, rolling the QB out after the fake on an option run / conservative dump off pass.  If the HC doesn't like that, then he can + at me after the game and I will happily argue and debate the point.  In game, though, I am going to call the plays with prudent aggressiveness, so at to put the game away with a first down.

I said the exact same thing at 2:03.  I understand playing conservative with the lead.  You don't want to make mistakes that give away the game.  But by the same token, there are smart plays to run against a defense that loads up the box.

And it's not like JB needed to read the D and change the play.  The Browns weren't disguising anything in the second half, they were just daring us to run on first down - and we did, just about every time.

Remember the screen that Doyle dropped?  We know it's in the playbook.  Play action pass to the TE.  You can't get much more conservative and it's completed 99% of the time to run clock, even if it goes for no gain. 

Again, I haven't re-watched the second half but it looked we were playing prevent D the entire second half too. 

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Does an OC go into a game plan with the HC, yes more than likely.  This does not mean that Pagano is telling Chud what plays to run and switching up his game plan.  I am not a huge fan of Chud, but he is good at his job (to an extent in my eyes) and has been able to gain a solid reputation.  So why would you think Pags is holding a microscope over him?

I said I hold Chud accountable for the OC play-calling.  Somebody else said that the blame lied on Pagano, as HC.  In my post I asked the question, how much autonomy does the OC have?  Though I would take the HC's desires into consideration, I would not let a HC dictate actual play-calling if it is my defined role as OC to do the play-calling.  

I doubt very much that Pagano undermines Chud by dictating the play calling, but if he did, then that makes Chud a wuss.  I disagree with you, btw.  I don't think Chud is very good at his job.  I think that, just like with Pep, the Colts running game play calling is atrocious.  For a year and a half now, I have watched Chud's play calling fail, imho, to properly account for the talent available and adjust accordingly, with effect play calling.  Generally, I have loathed the Colts' offensive game planning.  I think it is predictable, ineffective, and lacks ability to take advantage of the skill available.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I said the exact same thing at 2:03.  I understand playing conservative with the lead.  You don't want to make mistakes that give away the game.  But by the same token, there are smart plays to run against a defense that loads up the box.

And it's not like JB needed to read the D and change the play.  The Browns weren't disguising anything in the second half, they were just daring us to run on first down - and we did, just about every time.

Remember the screen that Doyle dropped?  We know it's in the playbook.  Play action pass to the TE.  You can't get much more conservative and it's completed 99% of the time to run clock, even if it goes for no gain. 

Again, I haven't re-watched the second half but it looked we were playing prevent D the entire second half too. 

Exactly!  And on that 1st down with 2:03 remaining, even if it goes incomplete, that does not matter because the clock was being stopped by the two minute warning, regardless.  Hence, that was the PERFECT time to mix things up in the hopes of setting up for a first down, which wins the game, instead of the useless, telegraphed, ineffective run up the gut.  I am running on 2nd and third down, though, to bleed time, but I am likely trying some sort of other running plays on 2nd and 3rd downs, instead of the up the gut useless, predictable stuff they keep trying to force feed.

That first down with 2:03 was only one play, but it SCREAMS volumes, to me, about how useless the Colts' offensive play calling is.  You just cannot be that dumb, like they keep being, in key moments.  It was just like the week before against Cardinals on 3rd down of the Colts last possession ... to me they HAD to do a play (run or high percentage pass), so that if you don't get the first down, it forces the Cards to use their LAST time-out, thus not allowing them time to drive downfield for (what should have been) the game winning field goal.  Just dumb and a complete lack of big picture awareness.

Just a random thought off my head here, but I just keep wondering why Chud doesn't make any use of Darrell Daniels.   I don't see how you have a tight end that runs 4.5 and never incorporate him in the passing game not even once.  Just mainly used for blocking.   That keeps grabbing at me.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Just a random thought off my head here, but I just keep wondering why Chud doesn't make any use of Darrell Daniels.   I don't see how you have a tight end that runs 4.5 and never incorporate him in the passing game not even once.  Just mainly used for blocking.   That keeps grabbing at me.

Again, to me it simply speaks volumes about the Colts not making use of and adjusting for the talent available.  Square Peg / Round Hole mentality, methinks.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

They only targeted him and Williams one time each for dump offs.  I can understand keeping them in to protect Brissett. 

I didn't realize Daniels was that fast.  I guess if they're going to try to get a mismatch on a TE it's going to be with Doyle.

25 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

They only targeted him and Williams one time each for dump offs.  I can understand keeping them in to protect Brissett. 

I didn't realize Daniels was that fast.  I guess if they're going to try to get a mismatch on a TE it's going to be with Doyle.

Daniels was a WR at Washington before he was switched to TE during College.  He was known I believe for being able to run routes and good hands.  The knock was his blocking.  That's why I find it ironic that we use him for blocking.

36 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Strengths

Has absolutely freakish physical attributes. Arm length and hand size would be considered outstanding for an offensive tackle. Stretches high and outside his frame to make the catch. Hands are supple and strong and the ball tends to stick to them at impact. Plucks it away from his body and can secure through contact. Carded a verified sub 4.50 40-yard dash during spring. Short strider, but feet turn over rapidly to propel him down the field. Can work the third level. Adjusts his path to off-target deep throws. Team-first player and vocal leader. Has successful stint as a cover man on special teams in his background.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/darrell-daniels?id=2558253

55 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I doubt very much that Pagano undermines Chud by dictating the play calling, but if he did, then that makes Chud a wuss.  I disagree with you, btw.  I don't think Chud is very good at his job.  I think that, just like with Pep, the Colts running game play calling is atrocious.  For a year and a half now, I have watched Chud's play calling fail, imho, to properly account for the talent available and adjust accordingly, with effect play calling.  Generally, I have loathed the Colts' offensive game planning.  I think it is predictable, ineffective, and lacks ability to take advantage of the skill available.

Oh I have publicly stated that I am not a fan of Chud.  My comment was directed at him being good at his job which is why he is so well regarded as an OC.  Sorry for the confusion on that, but yes his 1st down strategy has been the easiest thing for a DC to go against.

4 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I think they do talk on headsets throughout offensive drives pretty frequently.

Not that I think Chuck is constantly telling Chud plays/types of plays to call. But I do think they communicate and occassionally Chuck might possibly tell him what kind of play he wants them to run. He probably tells Chud what kind of looks he sees from the defense from time to time too.

Or at least, it seems like a pretty common practice. Coach and coordinator occassionally talk, coordinator decides the play, and he feeds it to the QB coach who feeds it to our QB. That latter part I only know because commentators have mentioned that quite a few times in the past with Schotty and Luck/Brissett.

55 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Some of his attributes as far as Height, Speed, route running, etc. reminded me of Dallas Clark type so I thought we might look to use him that way.  Maybe Chud will get to it at some point this year I guess.

On 9/25/2017 at 10:47 AM, TKnight24 said:

Chud does, but every playcall comes through that HC headset. So it's also on Pagano. He has the authority to make changes if he wants. 

I'm not saying don't milk the clock, but you still have to move the ball and think touchdown. No lead is safe until the clock hits 0:00 

So much _____ blarney.  Arm chair coaching,,, bla bla bla... not that i don't believe in free speech.  :thmup:

On 9/25/2017 at 11:12 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Another incredibly bad thread with posters jumping to one wrong conclusion after another.   

These happen on days of the week that end in...   d-a-y.      :facepalm:

Ha! Not bad for a Stanford fan. 

Lets acknowledge a few things:

1. This is a young team. They are learning as they go. Give them time. 

2. There are a lot of new players on the D. They have some good pieces. Give them time to gel. 

3. This team is missing its QB. A QB who is a game changer. Give them time until and after he returns. 

3. Pagano is a lousy game manager. He's had over 5 years to get better. As far as I'm concerned he's out of time. 

7 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Ha! Not bad for a Stanford fan. 

Lets acknowledge a few things:

1. This is a young team. They are learning as they go. Give them time. 

2. There are a lot of new players on the D. They have some good pieces. Give them time to gel. 

3. This team is missing its QB. A QB who is a game changer. Give them time until and after he returns. 

3. Pagano is a lousy game manager. He's had over 5 years to get better. As far as I'm concerned he's out of time. 

You'll get no disagreement from me.    The team is a work in progress and I hope will get better as the season moves along.

On 9/25/2017 at 1:41 PM, Superman said:

I don't mind going conservative to shorten the game, but the play calling was too conservative and vanilla for my tastes, they should have called some high percentage short passes (!) and tried to get to the edge in the running game more, rather than so many unsuccessful inside runs. By early in the 4th, the Browns defenders were teeing off on the run game, and they even left Hilton uncovered on a couple of plays because they knew a run was coming. The offense should have been more alert to catch them overcommitting and make them pay.

But the real issues were a) penalties, and b) lack of run blocking. 

I would bet JB can't audible out of a play call, yet. This shows what are team is.  Still somewhat soft... can't man up and beat the guy in front of him... can't impose their will on an opponent by the end of a game, but the opponent can tee off on them... must use trickery, deception and tom foolery to get or sustain momentum and hope there is no false starts (3 drive killers- Bond, Castonzo, and Vujnovic)  or holding- (Mewhort)) another drive killer.

Our D let them score 14 in the first half.  And the D let them score 14 in the second half.  When an offense scores 31, you are supposed to win. What remains the same in all games, we let the opponent wreck us on long plays, and often at inopportune times.  The Colts lead the league in allowing plays of 20 or more yards.  We are still not a good team, all around.  We need to be conservative here and there because we will shoot ourselves in the foot more being overaggressive too much until they get some experience and cleanup up the missed keys/assignments on D, and penalties, blocking assignments on O.

For those wanting to throw on 1 down at 2:03, for what?  Unless you get a little aggressive (with all of the risks associated with it, sack, pick, fumble by either receiver or QB) and complete a pass over 10 yards getting a first down at the 2 minute warning, you really have not gained anything. The D knows you will run the next 2 plays because they have no timeouts and the O can't afford an incompletion to essentially give them another one.

I wonder if Murray and Henry from the Titans would have pounded out a first down in that scenario, where we could not?  Do you think they would have Mariota pass in that situation?  I'd say Marcus is a more seasoned/advanced and trustworthy passer than JB right now... but I doubt the Titans would throw it at all in that situation there either.

I'm just happy for the win, hoping JB's playbook grows so there are more options on the play call sheet, and maybe some plays practiced that are plan B (in order to make adjustments, you have to have plays planned and practiced to adjust too... you just can't start calling plays out of the playbook that weren't drilled all week leading up to the game, especially a young and inexperienced team like ours.

If their receivers weren't all butterfingers, we may have lost.  

That completion percentage is deceiving. A LOT of catch-able balls were dropped.  

Plus the Browns are an NFL team.  That's the problem with the Colts, and specifically Pagano. They have zero killer instinct.

5 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

If their receivers weren't all butterfingers, we may have lost.  

That completion percentage is deceiving. A LOT of catch-able balls were dropped.  

Plus the Browns are an NFL team.  That's the problem with the Colts, and specifically Pagano. They have zero killer instinct.

:facepalm:

16 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I would bet JB can't audible out of a play call, yet. This shows what are team is.  Still somewhat soft... can't man up and beat the guy in front of him... can't impose their will on an opponent by the end of a game, but the opponent can tee off on them... must use trickery, deception and tom foolery to get or sustain momentum and hope there is no false starts (3 drive killers- Bond, Castonzo, and Vujnovic)  or holding- (Mewhort)) another drive killer.

Maybe not, but on the broadcast Feeley said Brissett told him he wanted to change a route against the Cardinals, but couldn't remember the hand signal. So he probably has some leeway, but I agree, not a lot. And to audible out of a run play late in the game, probably not.

I was more speaking to the idea of the play caller recognizing the trend and taking advantage of it. The Browns were already blitz heavy from the first kickoff, and just ramped it up halfway through the third. I have no problem with trickery, deception and tom foolery, if they work. Especially not when straight up manly football -- line up and beat the man in front of you -- isn't working. I don't need a flea flicker or The Annexation of Puerto Rico or anything like that, just something that jumpstarts a dead offense and maybe extends one of those second half drives a little better. It might also loosen up the run defense a little bit.

You're right, the penalties were killer.

For those wanting to throw on 1 down at 2:03, for what?  Unless you get a little aggressive (with all of the risks associated with it, sack, pick, fumble by either receiver or QB) and complete a pass over 10 yards getting a first down at the 2 minute warning, you really have not gained anything. The D knows you will run the next 2 plays because they have no timeouts and the O can't afford an incompletion to essentially give them another one.

I think the idea is that that's the situation were an incomplete pass doesn't hurt you because the clock is stopping anyway. You don't have to be in clock killing mode on that one play, so look for a chance to make something happen. 

To me, another part of the problem is that we can't run simple, high percentage plays effectively -- screens, draws, slants, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Maybe not, but on the broadcast Feeley said Brissett told him he wanted to change a route against the Cardinals, but couldn't remember the hand signal. So he probably has some leeway, but I agree, not a lot. And to audible out of a run play late in the game, probably not.

I was more speaking to the idea of the play caller recognizing the trend and taking advantage of it. The Browns were already blitz heavy from the first kickoff, and just ramped it up halfway through the third. I have no problem with trickery, deception and tom foolery, if they work. Especially not when straight up manly football -- line up and beat the man in front of you -- isn't working. I don't need a flea flicker or The Annexation of Puerto Rico or anything like that, just something that jumpstarts a dead offense and maybe extends one of those second half drives a little better. It might also loosen up the run defense a little bit.

At times, I do as well.  Consistently, no. Would rather just have better players that can still make a play even when the opponent knows its coming. The Peyton era Colts did this often.  Tom Moore's O was often quite predictable, but the O executed it so well, it didn't matter often. And the other times Peyton changed it to a better play at the line.

You're right, the penalties were killer.

We've got to get that under control, but there's  not time to develop O linemen.  Have to practice game plan install during the week (and with just one padded practice).  Kids can't develop O line technique and skills in shorts and a helmet.  College draftees can't learn they're preparing for the draft/combine.  Once drafted, they can't learn because the CBA keeps them away from the coaches and away from the facilities in the off season. O line issues are spreading, and will continue to do so, unfortunately.

I think the idea is that that's the situation were an incomplete pass doesn't hurt you because the clock is stopping anyway. You don't have to be in clock killing mode on that one play, so look for a chance to make something happen. 

If it doesn't get some decent yards (really 8 to a-1st down), then you still have to run the ball twice coming out of the 2  minute warning.  An incompletion is giving the opponent a virtual timeout.  So they will stack for the run anyway.

To me, another part of the problem is that we can't run simple, high percentage plays effectively -- screens, draws, slants, etc. 

That is a problem.  Especially if your run game is getting shut down.  I don't even like Luck having to throw 45-50 times in a game... let alone Jacoby Brissett.  i'm just looking for the positives, and where we do show progress, and thus can opne things up more.  This is the NFL, and wins are hard to come by.  I'll take them all , pretty or ugly and hope for continual improvement along the way.

33 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Pretty easy to use hindsight to say what you would have done or judge what did actually happen.

For the record, it was just before that 1st down with 2:03 left that I was telling my co-watchers that there is ZERO value in doing the upcoming dive running play; that the clocks stops anyway; so run a play-action QB rollout option.  With Brissett’s athleticism, which he has shown several times in this and the previous game, if the short 6-7 yd. pass isn’t there, then takeoff with it running.  Worst case, just throw it away.  No hindsight used, just unrealistic hope that the team could understand the value of taking a more aggressive approach in that particular circumstance, in trying to get that first down to ice the game.   Nope, it’s Chud & Pagano calling the mis-shots.

7 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

For the record, it was just before that 1st down with 2:03 left that I was telling my co-watchers that there is ZERO value in doing the upcoming dive running play; that the clocks stops anyway; so run a play-action QB rollout option.  With Brissett’s athleticism, which he has shown several times in this and the previous game, if the short 6-7 yd. pass isn’t there, then takeoff with it running.  Worst case, just throw it away.  No hindsight used, just unrealistic hope that the team could understand the value of taking a more aggressive approach in that particular circumstance, in trying to get that first down to ice the game.   Nope, it’s Chud & Pagano calling the mis-shots.

I don't see the value in trying a riskier pass play, unless you can get more than 10 yards out of it to get a new set of downs before the clock stops for the 2  minute warning. If you don't get the full 10, then the D stacks the box, or goes jumbo depending on distance, and CB's mugs any receiver { The defender is allowed to maintain continuous and unbroken contact within the five-yard zone, so long as the receiver has not moved beyond a point that is even with the defender } you have lined up to prevent the high % quick hitter pass, daring you over the top while they go after your QB  or RB on a run blitz.

I'd like someone with Game pass to look at the All 22 and see what D scheme the Browns were in in the last series. Also what type of O play it would take to beat it, and how risky that play could be at that point in the game.  I didn't get Game Pass this year, and now regret it. :(

5 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Yep that is what happens when you are just putting Pagano and Chud under the microscope just looking for anything to call negative. No matter what they would do you find fault and point a finger. Must be sad to watch the game just looking to put some kind of blame on them.

We got a much needed win but that's not good enough.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:47 AM, TKnight24 said:

Pagano cant change the OC's play calls.......There's not time for that...not even close

They did what they had to do to win, if that's the only goal.

Team has been well coached the past two weeks minus 4 starters

13 hours ago, krunk said:

Got to protect the new QB....don't know if he's a good receiver or not..but he looked lie a good blocker

But the extra TE blocking is big...

'Never' isn't one game

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Pagano cant change the OC's play calls.......There's not time for that...not even close

They did what they had to do to win, if that's the only goal.

Team has been well coached the past two weeks minus 4 starters

The head coach can certainly control the play calling by telling the OC do not do XYZ and do XYZ when we get the ball. The coaching the last 2 weeks has been terrible. We never should have lost to AZ that was total coaching and they almost blew the Cleveland game.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yep that is what happens when you are just putting Pagano and Chud under the microscope just looking for anything to call negative. No matter what they would do you find fault and point a finger. Must be sad to watch the game just looking to put some kind of blame on them.

We got a much needed win but that's not good enough.

Hey, I was just critiquing critical play calling missteps.   I don’t look for things to complain about, but when the playcalling offends all sensibilities of mine with regards to intro level coaching effectiveness, I cannot help but call out the poorly conceived offensive decisions.

I am very glad they won and I hope they now run the slate and win the Super Bowl.  I am truly concerned though, that in Pagano’s year 6 and Chud’s year 2.5, I keep seeing what I consider to be continued critical coaching errors.

I'm not too concerned.   No one that matters is really going to question Chuck too hard about playing it safe with a QB that's been on the roster for two weeks.  Especially after a win.    I know full well had we had A. Luck under center in that game we would have kept on gunning for the end zone.   If we had implemented the 2nd half strategy that we used with Brissett while Luck was under center then I would really be questioning the coaching staff.

10 hours ago, rockywoj said:

33 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Hey, I was just critiquing critical play calling missteps.   I don’t look for things to complain about, but when the playcalling offends all sensibilities mine with regards to intro level coaching effectiveness, I cannot help but call out th I’ll conceived offense.

I am very glad they won and I hope they now run the slate and win the Super Bowl.  I am truly concerned though, that in Pagano’s year 6 and Chud’s year 2.5, I keep seeing  what I consider to ge continued critical coaching errors.

Yip, the obvious, perfect play call used by all good coaches every time. go rock

2 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

The head coach can certainly control the play calling by telling the OC do not do XYZ and do XYZ when we get the ball. The coaching the last 2 weeks has been terrible. We never should have lost to AZ that was total coaching and they almost blew the Cleveland game.

Well, i don't know. I THINK  i would lean towards the defensive players not doing their jobs very well and

our VERY Offensive-line being QUITE sub-par. Tall thin lineman do not a run blocker make. JMO of course.