Beth Mowin's Calling The Game Yestrday

King Colt

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I do care when others express such care and disguise it as benign.  

That's the dumbest thing I've read all day. 

There's nothing non-benign about someone caring about the first woman NFL announcer. You being offended that someone else comments on that event is just ridiculous, but not surprising at all.

This isn't the first Beth Mowins thread, so the issue is getting attention on a football forum for reasons other than football.

So what? That's not against the rules. Lots of things get attention on this forum that aren't strictly football. 

BTW, can the counties surrounding Marion county repeal the 1% sales tax they approved in order to fund our NFL stadium?  What would be the consequences to the Colts if they did?  I started that thread yesterday and it got moved to miscellaneous by Nadine, then deleted.

Its a Colts stadium question, so its football related, just like these announcer threads. 

I don't know the answer to this. Feel free to PM Nadine for an answer on what happened to that thread, and why. And if you really want to know the answer, you can probably find it yourself.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

There's nothing non-benign about someone caring about the first woman NFL announcer. You being offended that someone else comments on that event is just ridiculous, but not surprising at all.

So what? That's not against the rules. Lots of things get attention on this forum that aren't strictly football. 

I don't know the answer to this. Feel free to PM Nadine for an answer on what happened to that thread, and why. And if you really want to know the answer, you can probably find it yourself.

Nicely put Superman

LOS is not just an NFL Venue

9 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

I actually cared about Doyle having a stinker, TY lighting it up, and seeing our ST not messing up the onside kicks. Beth, well, not that interested really, although she seemed ok to me. And when she said NCAA, everyone knew what she meant, so what's the big deal....

Feel the same way but also some my favorite voices at the HS, College, and Pro level have their quirks

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

It probably could be done but to a big detriment to the City/County

Part way through the game, I kind of just wasn't even thinking about the fact that a woman was calling the game.  I guess that means she did alright.  My only complaint was on one play, with the Colts on defense, she did the play by play, saying "John on the tackle."  I was like, John, John who? (It was John Simon, as it turns out.) Girl, you gotta give the last names.  lol

I think she's lacking in spontaneity. For example, watch the touchdown run Brissett does with the spin move. I'm not sensing the enthusiasm. That was a spin move for the ages, and his 2nd rushing TD of the game, so give us more cowbell!

Oh, and yes, I agree she needs to call out the player's names more. Maybe she's doing that on purpose to avoid making mistakes.

28 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm not offended.  I'm explaining to the OP and to the readers that agree with him that the gender of an NFL football announcer should indeed be be benign.  Its not important.  

If the topic was about the first person born in Alaska to call an NFL game on CBS, you wouldn't have responded that way.

It's rich of you to tell someone what is and isn't important, and what they should and shouldn't recognize as an accomplishment.

8 hours ago, King Colt said:

Obviously Ms. Nowans did not play the game but her performance behind the mic yesterday was spot on. Just goes to show when you do your homework, demand everything of yourself and insist on being the best you can get there. Nice job!

She was quick and knowledgeabe. I enjoyed her and Feeley.

1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

I think she's lacking in spontaneity. For example, watch the touchdown run Brissett does with the spin move. I'm not sensing the enthusiasm. That was a spin move for the ages, and his 2nd rushing TD of the game, so give us more cowbell!

Oh, and yes, I agree she needs to call out the player's names more. Maybe she's doing that on purpose to avoid making mistakes.

Her and Feely made A LOT of mistakes too. So that's possible. 

1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

Often the Color person gives the names and remember they need to remain neutral

32 minutes ago, Superman said:

If the topic was about the first person born in Alaska to call an NFL game on CBS, you wouldn't have responded that way.

It's rich of you to tell someone what is and isn't important, and what they should and shouldn't recognize as an accomplishment.

If the issue was being from Alaska, it wouldn't have even been a thread.  That's the point.

As a father, I would never in a million years suggest that my daughter's promotion broke some sort of ceiling.  A ceiling suggests that some rich spooky bogeyman with all knowing powers keeps women down, opening the possibility that it wasn't her hard work and dedication that broke the ceiling, but the rich spooky bogeyman breaking it for her to enhance his company's image.   

I would never backhandedly degrade my daughter's promotion by suggesting her promotion broke a ceiling, because nobody would ever know who really broke the ceiling.

If you really want your daughters to be proud, its best to suggest there are no rich spooky all knowing male bogeyman's coordinating efforts to keep her down. JMO

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If the issue was being from Alaska, it wouldn't have even been a thread.  That's the point.

That's because no one would care. And therein lies the difference. No one's forcing you to care, but it's pretty arrogant of you to suggest that because YOU don't care, no one should.

As a father, I would never in a million years suggest that my daughter's promotion broke some sort of ceiling.  A ceiling suggests that some rich spooky bogeyman with all knowing powers keeps women down, opening the possibility that it wasn't her hard work and dedication that broke the ceiling, but the rich spooky bogeyman breaking it for her to enhance his company's image.   

I would never backhandedly degrade my daughter's promotion by suggesting her promotion broke a ceiling, because nobody would ever know who really broke the ceiling.

It's your right to choose how to raise your daughter, and my right to choose how to raise mine.

Disturbing to read the nit-picking some point out here. In broadcasting mistakes are made every day including dropping F bombs. Players names and numbers are given in every game incorrectly especially by the officials which are professional people off the field. Be thankful you all have Spellcheck in your computers, it's there because it knows you need it. Your worst enemy will always be that person in the mirror.

I couldn't listen to game as I am in south florida. However I did catch some highlights and heard a bit here and there. I know the politically correct thing to say is wow what a nice job she did. But I have to say her VOICE is less than appealing to my ears and probably glad that I couldn't listen to it for 3 hours.

Just now, King Colt said:

Disturbing to read the nit-picking some point out here. In broadcasting mistakes are made every day including dropping F bombs. Players names and numbers are given in every game incorrectly especially by the officials which are professional people off the field. Be thankful you all have Spellcheck in your computers, it's there because it knows you need it. Your worst enemy will always be that person in the mirror.

I catch myself yelling at the radio at times during PCHS games when names are said wrong by announces but that is also why I like those guys/gals

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

I don't care if the rookie was a woman, or the first black.  Just like I'm not proud the USA had a first black president, or rooting for a woman to break some sort of ceiling.  I do care when others express such care and disguise it as benign.  

This isn't the first Beth Mowins thread, so the issue is getting attention on a football forum for reasons other than football.

BTW, can the counties surrounding Marion county repeal the 1% sales tax they approved in order to fund our NFL stadium?  What would be the consequences to the Colts if they did?  I started that thread yesterday and it got moved to miscellaneous by Nadine, then deleted.

Its a Colts stadium question, so its football related, just like these announcer threads. 

This might be your worst post since demanding  to know ncaa players gpa's.  

First off,  you said. "I don't care if the rookie was a woman, or the first black."

Seriously well done.   If you don't know what's wrong with that statement,   I can't help you

Second,  you asked that the other thread about the stadium  be locked,  unless the mods are lying. 

Also.  The county can repeal the tax,   but they signed a contract that they would pay a percentage.   How will they pay said percentage without the tax?

You are the gift that keeps on giving

2 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Then there's Michael Vick who speaks like he has a mouth full of peanut butter. How did he get a job speaking? He was not a star player so he must have something on some network executive.

I think mike vick is very well versed actually.   In any case,   who is he calling games for?

43 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

Both of them kept mixing up teams and player's names.  

I know it's not an easy thing to do, but this is the NFL.  

I wasn't impressed with either of them.

O.K., BUT......I went to the Cards game last week.

Who the heck is our Public Announcer? He was blowing names, and situations, left and right.

I'm assuming that wasn't his first day on the job.