Colts.com

Statement from Jim Irsay

“I am troubled by the President’s recent comments about our league and our players. Sports in America have the unique ability to bring people from all walks of life and from different points of view together to work toward or root for a common goal, and the Indianapolis Colts are proud to be a part of that tradition in our home city and state. 
The vast majority of players in the NFL — especially those who have worn and continue to wear the Horseshoe — have donated millions of dollars to charities, raised money for those affected by recent hurricanes, created charitable foundations, visited schools, mentored students, worked in homeless shelters, cleaned up parks, and put in hours of their personal time toward improving their communities and the lives of those around them. 

That’s the spirit in which this nation was founded, and we all need to work tirelessly to bring people together to take on the challenges that face us and give back to the people of our communities. More so than any result on the field, that is a common goal worth rooting for.” 

b.gif?host=blogs.colts.com&blog=26020580

View the full article

• Thanks 1

I have been a season ticket holder for 13 years and today was the first time I have been embarrassed to say I'm a colts fan. Kneeling for the anthem... just shameful.

Derek

• Like 1

I spent 20 years in the USAF and I am proud to be a veteran! After surviving the Typhoon and Mt Pinatubo eruption and the Pentagon attack on 9/11 where I saved 13 people; I cannot support an organization that does not understand the meaning behind Liberty and Patriotism? Being giving, being charitable, being supportive, being a volunteer to a neighbor is NOT THE SAME THING!

I respect anyone's rights to protest. I almost died more than once for that right and more.

UNTIL TODAY ---  I was a NFL fan, and a Die Hard Colts fan!

There comes a point when the right to free speech does not protect the right to repercussions. You may want your players to protest against my sacrifice, you may want your team to speak out against the people of this nation to bring attention to a topic of choice, you may want to use your platform and position (football, fame, roll, and envy) to promote your point of view. You may hate the President.

I like the millions of other Patriots who believe in Liberty, the Freedoms brought to us from the Sacrifices of other's, Patriotism and Respect of our founding fathers, the soldiers of all wars who have protected our rights as a nation, and the other Patriots DO NOT HAVE TO tolerate you Jim Irsay, the other owners, the disrespectful players, the entire NFL Organization. When someone else disrespects how those rights came to existence, I do not have to support an organization that is not in support of the country I love and have risked my life more than once for. I do not have to be a FAN of that organization.

And if you do not understand what I just said, I'll give you a more simple example surrounding the right to free speech. Yes, you Jim Irsay can say what you want, and no I do not have to like it. I too can say things you do not like; like this comment, and you (Jim Irsay and Colts Players, and ANYONE ELSE SUPPORTING THE NFL) will probably never read this comment, but those that agree will read my words. They too will know the difference between a protest and being disrespectful. They too will decide what is right and wrong. In my opinion, not supporting this country, its flag, its national anthem and what they represent. Last time I checked those SYMBOLS represent the USA, the men and women who have sacrificed to sustain those rights in the Constitution and the people of this nation as a whole, not an isolated faction of a minority opinion that is using TV to promote more disrespect.

The Constitution protects that right of free speech for everyone, including your statement and my opinion. IT DOES NOT PROTECT YOU FROM RETRIBUTION THROUGH EXCLUSION! Which is my RIGHT. That means, I and anyone else  who agrees DOES NOT HAVE TO SUPPORT:

1) Your platform (Football, Stage, TV)  $$$$

2) Pay for your products jerseys, logos, knick knacks, etc.  $$$$

3) Watch the games and COMMERCIALS on TV  $$$$

4) Pay for tickets $$$$

5) Support your charities $$$$

6) Or ANYTHING associated with the NFL!  $$$$

NOT FINANCIALLY $$$$ SUPPORTING THE NFL IS NOW MY FREEDOM of SPEECH!

• Like 5

Someone replied saying the events of today are in response to Trump.....

Maybe the NFL should chose a different method to protest against the President. Using a disrespectful method of protest is still wrong, whether you use to send a message to the President, or to the Nation for some other reason of protest like with Kapernick or other players are in who support of any PERSONAL position.

Using the National Anthem or the Flag on TELEVISION may be getting attention to your message or to the President,  does not mean it is right (Jim Irsay, Disrespectful Players, Commissioner, NFL as a Whole). The actions are still disrespecting a Symbol of the USA and its core values and beliefs of what made this Country and its Constitution. Oh and BTW, you are also disrespecting ME and all those men and women that have sacrificed like me in support of the FREEDOMS YOU ENJOY!!

So maybe YOU (NFL ANYONE) should do a sit-in on the field that is NOT during the National Anthem, or walk out of the game and forfeit if it is so important to them. Oh Yeah, that would cost you money. And it is ok to respect MONEY, but not THIS NATION! RIGHT? Why don't those of you who want to protest, do like the rest of the Nation. Take off work and visit Washington DC to promote a march or protest in front of the White House. That way YOU make YOUR point and QUIT TAKING MY COUNTRY for Granted!!!

The ENTIRE NFL can take their disrespect of the USA to somewhere else and not here. I do not and will not support them anymore until they learn this is MY COUNTRY TOO !!!

• Like 1

Everyone in America has a right to protest but not at work and not during the National Anthem.  Have been a huge fan of the Colts but can't stomach this disrespect to our country.  If you have a problem with what a politician says that's fine, send a tweet, comment to the media, protest in D.C. but DO NOT EVER DISRESPECT our country, our flag, our state and your fans.  I will not be watching any games on TV, purchasing any tickets soon and I will not be wearing Colts apparel for the unforeseeable future.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Randy Federspill said:

Someone replied saying the events of today are in response to Trump.....

Maybe the NFL should chose a different method to protest against the President. Using a disrespectful method of protest is still wrong, whether you use to send a message to the President, or to the Nation for some other reason of protest like with Kapernick or other players are in who support of any PERSONAL position.

Using the National Anthem or the Flag on TELEVISION may be getting attention to your message or to the President,  does not mean it is right (Jim Irsay, Disrespectful Players, Commissioner, NFL as a Whole). The actions are still disrespecting a Symbol of the USA and its core values and beliefs of what made this Country and its Constitution. Oh and BTW, you are also disrespecting ME and all those men and women that have sacrificed like me in support of the FREEDOMS YOU ENJOY!!

So maybe YOU (NFL ANYONE) should do a sit-in on the field that is NOT during the National Anthem, or walk out of the game and forfeit if it is so important to them. Oh Yeah, that would cost you money. And it is ok to respect MONEY, but not THIS NATION! RIGHT? Why don't those of you who want to protest, do like the rest of the Nation. Take off work and visit Washington DC to promote a march or protest in front of the White House. That way YOU make YOUR point and QUIT TAKING MY COUNTRY for Granted!!!

The ENTIRE NFL can take their disrespect of the USA to somewhere else and not here. I do not and will not support them anymore until they learn this is MY COUNTRY TOO !!!

I hear you Brother , I to served in the USMC so these people could use their stage which let me remind everyone we the FANS pay for with our hard earned money not MR Irsay , without us he doesn't have a stadium and probably never will again at least not here . Its funny the players have free speech , but we even in this Forum don't lol shows just how much we rate . I love my country and I will show you we don't have those freedoms , because even more than my country I LOVE MY LORD AND SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST . Now lets see how free my speech is !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jay Kirk said:

I hear you Brother , I to served in the USMC so these people could use their stage which let me remind everyone we the FANS pay for with our hard earned money not MR Irsay , without us he doesn't have a stadium and probably never will again at least not here . Its funny the players have free speech , but we even in this Forum don't lol shows just how much we rate . I love my country and I will show you we don't have those freedoms , because even more than my country I LOVE MY LORD AND SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST . Now lets see how free my speech is !

OK so you are taking this opportunity to combine politics and religion and claim in advance that your free speech is being violated in advance.

Got it

• Like 2

I decided not to watch the game today because of the disrespect shown to America and everyone the US stands for. If this continues, I will find something else to do on Sunday afternoons. I dropped ESPN A couple months ago for their anti American commentary; and I'm about to do the same with the Colts and the NFL.

sad, longtime fan soon to be exfan

I agree I did not watch the game when several players from the Colts took a knee, this is disrespect to the men and women who that protect this country  and have died or should I say gave their life’s for not only this country but for all of us.  I have not always believed in what r government says and have done but this is not the time or place for pro athletes to protest, if you want to protest that’s fine, just don’t disrespect what the National Anthem stands for and if the owners, coaches and players continue this I will never watch another NFL game again and I have been a Colts Fan since Baltimore Colts

I was a very strong Colts fan. Watched all the games . Bought many colts products. Not anymore. There is no room in football or any other sport for politics. All you are doing is disrespecting the flag that so many fought and died for. That is a symbol of our country. So take your knee and I will pray that soon you will be doing it in front of very few people in the stadium and that people at home will turn the channel. I through the better of the Colts. But by kneeling during the anthem and our flag does nothing but show your disrespect for our country and our service men. Shame on all of you. It's not the President that is bringing division among the people. It's the NFL and players , owners and coaches.

First of all we agree with all the above statements. Disrespecting our flag, our anthem, and our country is not the way to express a political ideology. Any kneeling NFL players DO have the right to leave this country and play for the CFL or other football leagues around the world. We are season ticket holders and found it very difficult to watch the game today following the intolerable display of disrespect by the players. How can you cheer for players that spit on your flag and your country before they go out and play.

We are not going to renew our season tickets until Mr. Irsay finds the courage to stand up for America. We are considering recovering our investment for this season by selling our remaining tickets to fans of the opposing teams.

Thoroughly disgusted Colts fans!

To Jim Irsay, Colts organization and colts players.  I applaud anyone that takes a stance whether I agree with it or not but I am your customer and I am paying for your product.  I watch the NFL and Colts football because I want to watch football not to hear about your political, religious or personal views.  If I went to a restaurant and policital, religious or personal views were pushed on me whether I agreed with them or not, I would not return as a customer.  That is why I will not be supporting the colts organization until some form of apology is given to the fans, city of Indianapolis, and the United States after today's events.  I would appreciate it if you would spend more time worrying about the poor product that you have been producing lately than your opinion of our President.  

There is great division in this country as there has been many times in the past.  The worst thing that any of us can do is tarnish the symbols that so many have faught for.  You have the same ability as me and every other citezen in this great country, if you disagree with something that is taking place in this fine country, let your elected officials know, run for office or spend your millions to pay lobbyist to influence the government.  Don't preach to me on your social media pulpit.  I got enough of that nonsense from ESPN which is why I also don't support that organization anymore either.

Instead of dividing this country even further, which was evident by the split number of players that respected / disrespected our country today,  Take a stance that shows everyone in the world that regardless of our differences, we still stand united for this great country that we live in.  

Mr Irsay I had more faith in you and the organization then to think you all would disrespectful to the country like the rest of the NFL but I was wrong I have been a fan since the move but I as of today am done with watching NFL football or spending any money for anything that has to do with the League or Colts 

Thanks Randy!

I too have been a Colts fan since they got here back in 84'  Over those 33 years I have spent tens of thousands on tickets and merchandise, but for me this is the end of the road!    These guys are millionaires because I and others have supported them;  they are paid to entertain us, not to make political statements.    I'm too busy to go on about it here,  all I will say about these temper tantrums - that's what they are they are not protest - is wrong place wrong time!    Until it stops I wont be attending another game,  I wont be watching another game on TV, I wont be purchasing any more gear!    If it continues I truly hope they all go out of business;  they can see how many autograph request they get flipping burgers.

• Like 1

Mr. Irsay,

We all know how much your organization gives to the community and we appreciate that. But, it is because you live in America and because of what other  Americans have given  that you are able to  have what you do. I am ashamed of your organization and the NFL.I consider your players action during the Anthem more divisive than the comments of our President.   

These protests had been dying down until the POTUS opened his big mouth.  

Oh well quite frankly I'm not too bothered by it.  They have a right to protest, protesting during sports has a long tradition.  

I don't think their protests are very effective but whatever it's not my protest.

Find it funny that the people who complain about people being too easily offended are more offended then anyone by someone quietly kneeling.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 2+ mins of our National Anthem is not a political moment.  It should always be a moment of patriotism, PERIOD.

I blame the NFL for not getting in front of this subject the second that CK started to make this moment about his feelings and beliefs, not about the grander moment of recognizing all who have given everything for our freedom to enjoy the ability to have a game and freedom that we have loved.

I have been a season ticket holder for a few years, but now will most likely exercise my right and simply not buy my 4 seats again.  I would encourage all to do the same.  I spoke to a friend today who also will not be renewing their season tickets....  

Dear Mr Irsay, I love the Colts, but I love my country more and until you get your organization to drop politics for that time.... I'm over it.  You have failed, the NFL has failed.  

There surely must be another way for the team to use their fame to make their point, just simply not at that moment.  I truly hope the messages here resonate with you...  You have a product we choose to buy, and right now I am not buying your product.

• Like 1

I am disgusted with this type of protesting. It's football, it's sports, it's where we go to get away from it all. It is not a place to go to get a silent lecture from the players. My personal protest is to NOT go to any football games this year and to NOT buy or wear any Colts or NFL paraphernalia. This will give me some solace when I see our flag and anthem disrespected on TV by these players who have no appreciation for what this country has made available to them.

• Like 1

I expected more from our Colts players and organization. I LOVE watching football and like most Americans can't wait for fall so that we can route for our teams. However, I am disappointed in the players that are kneeling for the anthem. There is a difference between "freedom" and being "free" and most don't get that. I understand the players are "free" to their speech and actions but wish it wasn't why they were on the clock so to speak. In the end it is only dividing the country and that is sad:( I would love to see everyone be respectful to our country and keep politics out of the game!

This reminds me of the Vietnam  war protests.  Everyone who protested and marched were called communists, atheists (and much worse), and told to leave the country if they didn't agree with the governments position.  I will continue to honor the soldiers that fought (and died) in the war, but the protesters were correct.  It was a stupid waste of lives.  I'm sorry I don't understand, God wants me to pray on my knees but if I do that during the national anthem I'm being disrespectful. 

• Like 3

As a proud Veteran who served three years of active duty I totally agree with all the comments made by you and the members of your organization. I too remember many of those who came back in coffins with the American Flag draped over their coffins. The National Anthem represents all of us who are currently serving, those who have served and those that continue the fight within our police and fire departments. I am proud to be an American and your comments are a slap in the face of all that serve. I like many other will not attend or be part of the Indianapolis Colts or the NFL. I hope that their is a boycott or maybe even a protest outside of your stadium which is partially maintain by our tax dollars. Our President is the Commander in Chief and I stand behind him and those that have come before him. I will not buy any NFL items that help aid your cause nor will I attempt to be part of those that advertise with you. 

I'm not letting Donald Trump or Kapernick ruin football for me.

Politicians suck. Jocks are jocks. It's like a high stakes high school popularity contest.

If it's up to me to keep sports and politics separate as a consumer I will. I do it with every other form of mass media entertainment. 

Nominally I'd say I'm not waiting for a Celeb to tell me to think about politics, but Trump is POTUS..

21 hours ago, Randy Federspill said:

I spent 20 years in the USAF and I am proud to be a veteran! After surviving the Typhoon and Mt Pinatubo eruption and the Pentagon attack on 9/11 where I saved 13 people; I cannot support an organization that does not understand the meaning behind Liberty and Patriotism? Being giving, being charitable, being supportive, being a volunteer to a neighbor is NOT THE SAME THING!

I respect anyone's rights to protest. I almost died more than once for that right and more.

UNTIL TODAY ---  I was a NFL fan, and a Die Hard Colts fan!

There comes a point when the right to free speech does not protect the right to repercussions. You may want your players to protest against my sacrifice, you may want your team to speak out against the people of this nation to bring attention to a topic of choice, you may want to use your platform and position (football, fame, roll, and envy) to promote your point of view. You may hate the President.

I like the millions of other Patriots who believe in Liberty, the Freedoms brought to us from the Sacrifices of other's, Patriotism and Respect of our founding fathers, the soldiers of all wars who have protected our rights as a nation, and the other Patriots DO NOT HAVE TO tolerate you Jim Irsay, the other owners, the disrespectful players, the entire NFL Organization. When someone else disrespects how those rights came to existence, I do not have to support an organization that is not in support of the country I love and have risked my life more than once for. I do not have to be a FAN of that organization.

And if you do not understand what I just said, I'll give you a more simple example surrounding the right to free speech. Yes, you Jim Irsay can say what you want, and no I do not have to like it. I too can say things you do not like; like this comment, and you (Jim Irsay and Colts Players, and ANYONE ELSE SUPPORTING THE NFL) will probably never read this comment, but those that agree will read my words. They too will know the difference between a protest and being disrespectful. They too will decide what is right and wrong. In my opinion, not supporting this country, its flag, its national anthem and what they represent. Last time I checked those SYMBOLS represent the USA, the men and women who have sacrificed to sustain those rights in the Constitution and the people of this nation as a whole, not an isolated faction of a minority opinion that is using TV to promote more disrespect.

The Constitution protects that right of free speech for everyone, including your statement and my opinion. IT DOES NOT PROTECT YOU FROM RETRIBUTION THROUGH EXCLUSION! Which is my RIGHT. That means, I and anyone else  who agrees DOES NOT HAVE TO SUPPORT:

1) Your platform (Football, Stage, TV)  $$$$

2) Pay for your products jerseys, logos, knick knacks, etc.  $$$$

3) Watch the games and COMMERCIALS on TV  $$$$

4) Pay for tickets $$$$

5) Support your charities $$$$

6) Or ANYTHING associated with the NFL!  $$$$

NOT FINANCIALLY $$$$ SUPPORTING THE NFL IS NOW MY FREEDOM of SPEECH!

i am with you, they should not have disrespected our fallen heros and one of their own pat tillman who chose to protect us over their nfl money

Huh... 

The same ones who call others snowflakes, are the ones who are acting like the snowflakes they call out... 

Very interesting, and quite entertaining. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i would too, honor our troops

he's a left tackle, I say we trade AC for him :peek:

i for one am going to not spend any money on nfl related items or nfl sponsors, i am now embarrassed to wear a colts shirt after the sunday disrespect of our fallen heros

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i am for that, love to have a real hero on our team

What's funny is all these people protesting are actually breaking a law (US title code 36, section 171) as well as the NFL rule book under  section A62-63.  At least according to the TV lol  Anyway, I've said enough on this. Catch ya all on the flip side.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

started my own protest today, cancelled the sports package with comcast, money in my pocket that the nfl dosent get

I will still watch the Colts but I have to admit I am much more into Baseball right now. I didn't even watch the Monday Night game last night, I watched the Cubs game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will still watch the Colts but I have to admit I am much more into Baseball right now. I didn't even watch the Monday Night game last night, I watched the Cubs game.

i did too, this protest did something to my desire to see football

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i did too, this protest did something to my desire to see football

Me too. After the Colts game on Sunday, I really didn't watch much after that and went to bed early. I didn't even watch the Sunday night game between Raiders/Skins

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nadine said:

something to think about

i watched this, if these players and this guy had seen first hand the horrors of war and the friends of mine in the flag draped coffins and the folded flag their loved ones received on their death, they would not dare disrespect the symbol of those who died if they have a cause of their own personal agenda let these players spend the money to run tv ads for their cause. dont disrespect those of us who served, players you are walking  on our backs

• Like 1

Just now, OLD FAN MAN said:

i watched this, if these players and this guy had seen first hand the horrors of war and the friends of mine in the flag draped coffins and the folded flag their loved ones received on their death, they would not dare disrespect the symbol of those who died if they have a cause of their own personal agenda let these players spend the money to run tv ads for their cause. dont disrespect those of us who served, players you are walking  on our backs

So, no possibility that there's an agenda then? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nadine said:

So, no possibility that there's an agenda then? 

yes the players have an agenda but it should not disrespect those who died which it does, they should find another way for their agenda that does not disrespect our fallen heros, they can say they dont intend to disrespect us while they are doing that very thing. if they want to make a real statement they should refuse to take the field, do something that affects them not others

36 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

yes the players have an agenda but it should not disrespect those who died which it does, they should find another way for their agenda that does not disrespect our fallen heros, they can say they dont intend to disrespect us while they are doing that very thing. if they want to make a real statement they should refuse to take the field, do something that affects them not others

I meant the agenda referred to in the video.  But I see you don't see any possibility.

How about they kneel before the anthem?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Nadine said:

I meant the agenda referred to in the video.  But I see you don't see any possibility.

How about they kneel before the anthem?

Mike Golic and Booger McFarland had a great statement on the issue yesterday and Golic said  how he discussed things with guys like Reggie White and Clyde Simmons since he grew up in a middle class family in Ohio unlike his other teammates

another solution is to keep the teams off the field until after the NA(it didn't start until 2009)

• Like 1