Sign in to follow this  
NewColtsFan

Are you checking this each week?

Each week the Colts put out an easy to read story called.....

Snap Counts.     Typically comes out the day after the game.

Every player who played even a single snap in the game is listed.       It's broken down by position,  by player,   how many snaps,  the percent of snaps for the offense or defense,  and even the special teams snaps.     

It'll give you a much better feel for how the first and second string are being used on a week to week basis....      It's really good stuff.

You should make it a part of your weekly in-season routine.          :thmup:

Here are the snap counts for the Arizona game.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Snap-Counts-Colts-Cardinals-Week-2/2f44f2e2-60e8-404f-8f63-e26e8ee32df9

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

TJ Green at 1 defensive play (2%), and only 2 special teams play (6%) stood out.  I thoughtvat least his athletic skills would get him more special teams play.  Is he hurt?  In the "doghouse"?

thanks, an interesting article i hadn't noticed.

thats why i love this forum

12 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

TJ Green at 1 defensive play (2%), and only 2 special teams play (6%) stood out.  I thoughtvat least his athletic skills would get him more special teams play.  Is he hurt?  In the "doghouse"?

thanks, an interesting article i hadn't noticed.

thats why i love this forum

I am sure Pagano said he deliberately kept him out due to not wanting to throw too much at him.  We were fairly deep at corner and so his role was backup safety for the day but if he played a lot he didn't want it to hinder his work getting used to playing corner. 

I think that was what he said but I couldn't hear the specific question from the reporter and so context was a bit shaky.

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Each week the Colts put out an easy to read story called.....

Snap Counts.     Typically comes out the day after the game.

Every player who played even a single snap in the game is listed.       It's broken down by position,  by player,   how many snaps,  the percent of snaps for the offense or defense,  and even the special teams snaps.     

It'll give you a much better feel for how the first and second string are being used on a week to week basis....      It's really good stuff.

You should make it a part of your weekly in-season routine.          :thmup:

Here are the snap counts for the Arizona game.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Snap-Counts-Colts-Cardinals-Week-2/2f44f2e2-60e8-404f-8f63-e26e8ee32df9

Thanks for posting, very useful information. 

Encouraging to see 5 offensive linemen play 100% of the snaps. Aside from AC's obvious issues, thought the unit played well and, if we can get Kelly back into the lineup and maybe use Bond as a guard if he can maintain his performances with a shift, the more snaps these guys play together the better, for them, Jacoby and (eventually) Luck.

Was listening to Joe Reitz talk about some of the pre-snap penalties and he mentioned how easy that can be when you have a new quarterback (who I believe only had 3 practices before the game with the line) as it takes time to get used to the cadence of a new QB.  Hopefully that gets tidied up with time too with all 5 playing every snap.

Clark not even getting a sniff these days.

• Like 1

Weird, 

TJ Green comes off the field, and the defense looks much better. 

Hooker and Q Wilson are quite the dynamic duo I must add. 

Also, Woods and Hankins in the middle are beastly. If the OLB's set the edge, it's extremely difficult to get past those guys in the run game. 

• Like 4

StampedeBlue does a story on snap counts each week also, and gives their take on it. 

Always interesting to me, and it really gives you a feel for how often the D is in sub packages, as well as how often we're in three receiver sets.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

I am sure Pagano said he deliberately kept him out due to not wanting to throw too much at him.  We were fairly deep at corner and so his role was backup safety for the day but if he played a lot he didn't want it to hinder his work getting used to playing corner. 

I think that was what he said but I couldn't hear the specific question from the reporter and so context was a bit shaky.

Could it be that Green isn't all that good at any position?

• Like 1

Colts are making teams one dimensional so far....now with experience and getting Vontae back will greatly help the secondary later on in the season.

This D is showing glimpses of what it can do and it's already leagues better than anything the Colts have had in years. Just have to iron out the rough patches with the youngsters.

any good coverage linebackers in this years draft crop?

• Like 4

I just hope that they keep giving Hooker the bulk of the Safety snaps.  If Butler is healthy we should let him either rotate or move into the dime spot and keep Moore of the field.  Hooker will get better with time and experience and I hope they allow for that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I just hope that they keep giving Hooker the bulk of the Safety snaps.  If Butler is healthy we should let him either rotate or move into the dime spot and keep Moore of the field.  Hooker will get better with time and experience and I hope they allow for that.

that and keeping Wilson is as the 2nd corner when Vontae is back.

4 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

that and keeping Wilson is as the 2nd corner when Vontae is back.

I want to see Wilson get snaps and grow just like everyone else but like I have said, Ted has love for Melvin.  After the Cards game I can see it a little more now as well.  They have Melvin mirroring the other teams #1 WR, not even Vontae does that.  This is a UDFA who has seen a lot of pink slips and he is nothing but hard work and determination and I think the coaches want that right now.  Wilson showed some great signs in the Cards game as well, but I still see the coaches and Ted leaning more on Melvin.

17 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

It could be, but I think his attributes really could be a plus at corner.  He isn't completely lost in coverage and has shown flashes.  

I think it's a good thing to throw him in there in spots to see him gain playing time without ruining his confidence until we find a better corner.  He still has value as a backyup safety until then

3 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Colts are making teams one dimensional so far....now with experience and getting Vontae back will greatly help the secondary later on in the season.

This D is showing glimpses of what it can do and it's already leagues better than anything the Colts have had in years. Just have to iron out the rough patches with the youngsters.

any good coverage linebackers in this years draft crop?

my thoughts exactly

am I the only one that is starting to get excited when the D takes the field?

I'm starting to enjoy watching Wilson and Hooker and see how they progress.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

am I the only one that is starting to get excited when the D takes the field?

I'm starting to enjoy watching Wilson and Hooker and see how they progress.

i get anxious to see.  I think conditioning and depth are our weak points as we seem to get worse in the 2nd half.

My thoughts...

- Love seeing Hairston get a ton of snaps. Seems like he's always in the thick of it.
- Aiken's beginning to prove his worth.

- Henry Anderson's been out there a lot, and he's grading out okay for his performance, but I'm just not seeing a ton from him. Not that he's playing poorly, I just probably expect too much. Which is fine because Al Woods and Hankins have been fantastic.

49 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

That's exactly what it is but people are in love with those athletic measurables. Athleticism doesn't get you very far in any pro sport, not even special teams In American Football.

im still holding out hope for the guy though. It seems weird that he got heavy snaps throughout preseason/game 1 but  then basically gets wiped off our roster entirely in game 2

• Thanks 1

We went into that game with basically two healthy safeties.    I think it would have been wise not to play TJ too much.  Gotta have somebody to backup Hooker and Farley.  Don't recall seeing Desir out there so besides TJ there was really no one else who could play safety in the event of an injury.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

That's exactly what it is but people are in love with those athletic measurables. Athleticism doesn't get you very far in any pro sport, not even special teams In American Football.

im still holding out hope for the guy though. It seems weird that he got heavy snaps throughout preseason/game 1 but  then basically gets wiped off our roster entirely in game 2

Athleticism definitely gets you very far in multiple sports.

1 hour ago, il vecchio said:

Interesting that we used only 2 defensive linemen on most plays.

That was at 65% for last season.

That's why I specified Pro-Sports. As in the NFL, NBA, NHL and any top flight Soccer League 

That is definitely what I am referring to as well.  You are crazy to think that athleticism does not translate to any pro sport.

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

That is definitely what I am referring to as well.  You are crazy to think that athleticism does not translate to any pro sport.

Not really. Those guys that are all athleticism get cut off rosters very quickly once it's shown they have no actual skill. Find me any guy in the NFL who makes any impact that has only athleticism to bank on. As in alls they can do is run fast, jump high and have good "shiftiness".

Not really. Those guys that are all athleticism get cut off rosters very quickly once it's shown they have no actual skill. Find me any guy in the NFL who makes any impact that has only athleticism to bank on. As in alls they can do is run fast, jump high and have good "shiftiness".

First off most guys that have athleticism still have some skill-set since they have probably played the sport for a while.  So your question is loaded and has no point but your own opinion.  I can say though, that players have went into the combine and shown the freak athletic traits and made it into the NFL just fine.  Mulitple pass rushers, D-line, WR's, and heck even O-line.  You hear it every year when a guy comes in and dominates the combine.  Do they all turn into an all star no but that is not what we are talking about here.

Also, we are not talking about only NFL since your point was made towards ANY pro sport.  NBA has this each and every year.  Can some of these guys even shoot...NO.  But they can jump and dunk.

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

First off most guys that have athleticism still have some skill-set since they have probably played the sport for a while.  So your question is loaded and has no point but your own opinion.  I can say though, that players have went into the combine and shown the freak athletic traits and made it into the NFL just fine.  Mulitple pass rushers, D-line, WR's, and heck even O-line.  You hear it every year when a guy comes in and dominates the combine.  Do they all turn into an all star no but that is not what we are talking about here.

Also, we are not talking about only NFL since your point was made towards ANY pro sport.  NBA has this each and every year.  Can some of these guys even shoot...NO.  But they can jump and dunk.

Of course it was a loaded question. My original point is only that guys who are all athleticism and no skill get nowhere in a pro sports league.

Youre right in that you see those 7'+ dudes with freak wingspans and verts every year make it into or get invited to the NBA. And most of them completely washout because they have no skill besides being freakishly tall or being good leapers. Hasheem Thabeet, Desagna Diop, Jerome James, Yinka Dare (so so bad), and good ol Kwame Brown come to mind immediately.

1 hour ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Of course it was a loaded question. My original point is only that guys who are all athleticism and no skill get nowhere in a pro sports league.

Youre right in that you see those 7'+ dudes with freak wingspans and verts every year make it into or get invited to the NBA. And most of them completely washout because they have no skill besides being freakishly tall or being good leapers. Hasheem Thabeet, Desagna Diop, Jerome James, Yinka Dare (so so bad), and good ol Kwame Brown come to mind immediately.

DeAndre Jordan has done pretty well for one off the top of my head.  I would say Thabeet is a bad example since he was not some athletic freak.  He was just extremely tall.  Kwame...that is a good example though!

I will say based on the original point what I am trying to say is there is no such thing as some guy that is a pure athlete with 0 skill getting drafted.  UDFA maybe since you are not spending much on them at all.  

I agree with the comments above on how good the D line is playing and the potential of the youngin's in the secondary! I also see George got a lot of snaps with Morrison out. Not sure what it is about the guy but I like his play. Krunk can you shed some light on this? :D 

This is really cool.  Thank you for providing it.  

One thing that i wonder from looking at is if they entice certain players to come by promising they won't have to play special teams or will get a certain percentage of snaps etc.  I'm focusing on Sheard and Mingo (who's name makes me think of flash gordon for some reason)  

Did they tell sheard come here and we promise you won't play special teams?  did they say to mingo, we promise you will play no less than a certain number of snaps at OLB?

This may be way off base but i wonder if that comes into negotiations.