Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Doyel from INDYSTAR really lays into some Colts.....

threeflight

I am surprised no one posted this article yet from Indy Star.  In it, the writer really gives some insight into some of the Colts and their attitudes.

Sounds like many of the rookies and undrafted FAs are humble and hard working, which make sense.

Also sounds like Pagano's relaxed attitude is letting some of the players with lets just say more narcissistic personalities get even worse.  Moncrief wearing a t shirt with a pic of himself on it the day after a terrible game?  And TY sounds like a jerk to be honest.  I have always liked TY as a player, but I never respected him as one because I do not think he is a fighter the way Reggie was.  He disappears way too much and lays down much too often.  

Interesting read....thoughts?

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/09/18/indianapolis-colts-have-enough-losers-need-more-winners/678036001/

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read this last night, and he is spot on. To be honest, if players don't want writers to say this kind of stuff then they shouldn't be poor on the field.

It blows my mind that with a new QB they are not putting in any extra effort or time. “nothing’s going on, on the off day.”

It's pretty obvious that the Colts have a culture problem.

No idea why I never have access to Indystar articles?

I don't care if TY comes off as rude as long as he produces honestly.

I'm assuming the article is saying it's a situation of the inmates running the asylum. I could see that with Chuck.

Very tough way to lose Sunday. Lead the whole game and then lose in OT. We may very well go something like 5-11 and get a high draft pick. I can see the Colts keeping Andrew out as long as possible now. Maybe half the season?? High draft pick and new Coach is what most people want anyway, maybe it will be better in the long run? Andrew will be 100% healthy in 2018 as well.

1 minute ago, IinD said:

No idea why I never have access to Indystar articles?

I don't care if TY comes off as rude as long as he produces honestly.

I'm assuming the article is saying it's a situation of the inmates running the asylum. I could see that with Chuck.

You should have access.  But you can only read a certain number of articles without a sub.  Clear your history/cookies cache and then try.  Should work then.

I wouldn't stand for having T-shirts with your name on it in the locker room. Not if I was GM. That is a very I oriented attitude in a team sport. 

Its the coaches and GMs with the attitude of team first that actually change the culture to a winning one. 

It irritates me when fans think something like that is no big deal, and then scream when we lose games horrendously. No. That one thing isn't going to make you a bad team, but many things like that, will. I'm sorry but the Colts have a Majorie culture problem. Among other problems. Yet, I'll remain a fan. Hopefully someday soon we will see our winning culture back. 

2 minutes ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

It sounds to me like Pagano has lost the veterans in the locker room. Receivers are divas I get it but it's not a good look when your not producing. 

I think so as well. That is one thing Chuck has always had going for him - players playing hard for him. Haven't seen it in these 1st 2 games. We look like a team going through the motions and just keep making the same silly mistakes like last year.

1 minute ago, NannyMcafee said:

I wouldn't stand for having T-shirts with your name on it in the locker room. Not if I was GM. That is a very I oriented attitude in a team sport. 

Its the coaches and GMs with the attitude of team first that actually change the culture to a winning one. 

It irritates me when fans think something like that is no big deal, and then scream when we lose games horrendously. No. That one thing isn't going to make you a bad team, but many things like that, will. I'm sorry but the Colts have a Majorie culture problem. Among other problems. Yet, I'll remain a fan. Hopefully someday soon we will see our winning culture back. 

Imagine that happening on the Patriots.  Would NEVER happen.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think so as well. That is one thing Chuck has always had going for him - players playing hard for him. Haven't seen it in these 1st 2 games. We look like a team going through the motions and just keep making the same silly mistakes like last year.

I have to say I disagree. Beyond paganos 2nd year I really haven't seen our players play hard for chuck. 

Just now, NannyMcafee said:

I have to say I disagree. Beyond paganos 2nd year I really haven't seen our players play hard for chuck. 

Agree.  Far too many blowouts for them to be playing hard.  I think people misconstrue players not bickering and complaining behind the scenes as playing hard and being behind their coach rather than actual game day effort.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Makes me miss how Polian or Dungy wouldn't deal with any conceived nonsense.

Produce as a pro and no nonsense or you go find a new team.

I think it's the fact we have no Reggie/Peyton type players anymore honestly. They demanded performance and team leadership.

21 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

I read this last night, and he is spot on. To be honest, if players don't want writers to say this kind of stuff then they shouldn't be poor on the field.

It blows my mind that with a new QB they are not putting in any extra effort or time. “nothing’s going on, on the off day.”

It's pretty obvious that the Colts have a culture problem.

And we all know what it stems from. Once that one piece is removed from the equation, the culture problem goes with it.

3 minutes ago, IinD said:

Makes me miss how Polian or Dungy wouldn't deal with any conceived nonsense.

Produce as a pro and no nonsense or you go find a new team.

I think it's the fact we have no Reggie/Peyton type players anymore honestly. They demanded performance and team leadership.

Without Luck on the field we look lost and unmotivated. How we even controlled the game Sunday really surprised me. Brissett just didn't make any mistakes and Palmer was bad.

12 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Most of the "Chuckstrong" gang are long gone.

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

And we all know what it stems from. Once that one piece is removed from the equation, the culture problem goes with it.

LIke I said in a post yesterday, #18 would have stopped this crap in its tracks.

I am almost always against tanking, I hate it but I am not so sure keeping Luck out all season and getting a Top 3 pick isn't the way to go. We could even trade that pick for a slew of picks, especially if it's the #1. People want Darnold badly. + Luck will be 100% healthy moving forward still only in year 7. He will be just entering his prime. I am just about patience at this point and looking at the big picture. Look at Cam Newton, he looks like damage goods. I think he came back too soon IMO.

I don't know if I'd go as far as speculating that he lost the locker room, but I do think there seems to be a somewhat division, or certain groups of guys.

You have the guys who are just hungry, true professionals, which is great.

But, instead of guys who I would say Pagano has "lost", I just think there are guys who are way too comfortable under Pagano. There's a reason this team consistently either starts games slow or holds a lead until the second half/fourth quarters, and it's definitely a reflection of the culture of this team.

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Very tough way to lose Sunday. Lead the whole game and then lose in OT. We may very well go something like 5-11 and get a high draft pick. I can see the Colts keeping Andrew out as long as possible now. Maybe half the season?? High draft pick and new Coach is what most people want anyway, maybe it will be better in the long run? Andrew will be 100% healthy in 2018 as well.

I agree 110% with you man.  I'd be surprised if Andrew made it back by week 6.  I will say, I am crossing my fingers we can beat the Browns and the 49ers without him.  If he could come back by week 6 being 2-3, they have shot because the AFC South is so weak.  I don't trust any other team.  I am trying to be optimistic but it's hard.  If they lose to the Browns, the seasons over in my opinion. 

Just now, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I agree 110% with you man.  I'd be surprised if Andrew made it back by week 6.  I will say, I am crossing my fingers we can beat the Browns and the 49ers without him.  If he could come back by week 6 being 2-3, they have shot because the AFC South is so weak.  I don't trust any other team.  I am trying to be optimistic but it's hard.  If they lose to the Browns, the seasons over in my opinion. 

Yeah this isnt looking good and you know me I hate losing and never want to tank but we need a healthy Luck and a team around him moving forward + a new Coach. I usually even try my best to defend Chuck but I think it's time to move on from him, JMO.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's really tough to judge our WR's because Luck isn't playing. Moncrief would probably be a lot better if Luck was playing.

yeah that is probably true

its just hard for me to accept since brisett played pretty well until OT

the line didnt help anyone last week either

38 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah that's how I feel, for some reason the more games that go by the longer I could see him being out indefinitely.  Even if he's cleared by the doctors but not 100% prepared and ready to roll they could keep him out until he gets a few good practices under his belt, not sure.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's 8 games now until he comes back, or even longer. 

Just now, Malakai432 said:

Yeah that's how I feel, for some reason the more games that go by the longer I could see him being out indefinitely.  Even if he's cleared by the doctors but not 100% prepared and ready to roll they could keep him out until he gets a few good practices under his belt, not sure.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's 8 games now until he comes back, or even longer. 

Yeah Usually losses really bother me but for some reason I got over it quick after Sunday realizing we aren't going to do anything big this season. I am looking at the future. It sounds like I am giving up on 2017 but we need Luck healthy and Ballard needs another Draft to help put a team around him. Luck still has time, only will be in year 7. It took Peyton 9 years to win the SB, Matt Ryan finally figured out in year 9 last year. So we still have time. Patience.

41 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Imagine that happening on the Patriots.  Would NEVER happen.

Obviously Donte is no Brady but brady has been wearing his TB12 hats for a decade. JJ Watt does as well. As another poster pointed out, Moncrief seems to think he is far better than he is.

First, I get that a lot of people aren't going to like a guy like Doyel. Sometimes he thinks too highly of his own opinion, but I don't often go, "he's clueless". On this one, he's probably much closer to correct than not. 

This was something that had kind of leaked out regarding how Grigson was trying to deal with this. Not to say he did anything to help, but this "culture" issue is one that has been brewing. 

Too many here are throwing in the flag already on the season. Call me an optimist but the first few weeks of the season is an extension of the preseason. Last year after the first few weeks Philly looked like a superbowl pick. Throw in the fact we may get healthier as the season goes on, along with our division rivals issues I can see a late season push. Who knows but its definetly too early to be thinking of a lost season after two losses IMO. Getting Kelly and Davis back can make a big difference, fingers crossed about Luck. If we can just stay alive in our weak division until Lucks available, we will have a chance. I hope he is practicing by at least week 4 to maybe have him go week 6-7. If not removing him from PUP was a misjudgment by the staff.

I do think Doyel typically goes over the top with the dramatics BUT.....

This time he is pretty spot on. Hilton and Moncrief have been lacking in their effort and appear to be somewhat disconnected so far this season. Moncrief is playing himself right off of this team next year at this rate.