Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Doyel from INDYSTAR really lays into some Colts.....

threeflight

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Usually losses really bother me but for some reason I got over it quick after Sunday realizing we aren't going to do anything big this season. I am looking at the future. It sounds like I am giving up on 2017 but we need Luck healthy and Ballard needs another Draft to help put a team around him. Luck still has time, only will be in year 7. It took Peyton 9 years to win the SB, Matt Ryan finally figured out in year 9 last year. So we still have time. Patience.

Yeah I had high hopes before the injuries and realizing how long Luck could possibly be out.  Davis, Kelly, Luck, Geathers, Swoop, the team won't overcome.  Well, most likely won't overcome.  I thought originally Luck would possibly be back week 1, then thought he may miss a couple games, then around 5-7 weeks, now I absolutely have no clue. 

He could be cleared by the doctors and throwing well by week 6-7 for example but not full game time ready for another few weeks after that lol. No clue! :pcsmash: 

Pertaining to the article I'm usually not big on Doyle but I feel he has it right to a certain extent. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, IinD said:

No idea why I never have access to Indystar articles?

I don't care if TY comes off as rude as long as he produces honestly.

I'm assuming the article is saying it's a situation of the inmates running the asylum. I could see that with Chuck.

Here's a tip - you only get so many free articles.  The workaround to that is that you delete your internet cookies/history.  After that, your "free articles" starts over and you can read whatever you want again....until you have to delete your cookies again.  Sorry if someone has already mentioned that.  I'm in a hurry and didnt have time to read the entire thread.

1 hour ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

It sounds to me like Pagano has lost the veterans in the locker room. Receivers are divas I get it but it's not a good look when your not producing. 

We forget how lucky we were to have two of the best receivers in the NFL (Harrison and Wayne) that actually put the team first.  Those guys, and Edge, when he was here, constantly worked with Peyton after practice, before practice, and on off days.  They wanted perfection every time they stepped into the field, and they were work horses.  It's rare to see that kind of dedication anymore.  

The lack of leadership now is a big problem. Hilton is not a leader and never will be.  Moncrief thinks he is a pro bowler but his play isn't anywhere close to that. They have no leadership from the head coach, he is more there buddy then he is a coach and a leader.  Of course the younger guys are willing to work harder they don't know any better and want to show they belong.  Moncrief and Hilton have been here for years under Pagano, they know he is as soft as a babys backside and wont hold them accountable.  If Pagano is here long enough the young guys will figure it out too, but thats not likely to happen as Ballard is sure to fire him at some point.  We have went from a great culture full of guys who loved to work extra and were true leaders to this mess under Pagano.  Even guys like Harrison who were quiet, loved to work in practice, said he was paid to practice and the game was free.  Need more of that attitude, not the "nah man aint nothing goin on on my day off".  Can you imagine that attitude if Manning were still around here? Then i also heard the receivers were complaining that Brissett threw the ball too hard.  Give me a break, maybe work extra then with your new QB to catch balls.  Doyle didn't have much problem catching the ball.

16 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Really how about when Luck missed half the year and he finished 500, or last years lack of talent and perturbed defense and again 500??:facepalm:

I don't care how talentless you are. These players are in the NFL. They're talented individuals and there should be no excuses for losses. Pagano has nearly as much say in who is drafted as Grigson or Ballard has. If you think that's not true I'm sorry. 

With the lack of talent the last two years then this years team should be busting at the seems with talent. And still 0-2 start. 

1 hour ago, threeflight said:

I don't know how many of you watch Ballers on HBO, but TY reminds me of wr Ricky Jerret.

lol I can see some of that. I've never really liked the dude. Just comes off as a little drama queen. As far as on field. He can't even stand in Wayne's shadow...

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah this isnt looking good and you know me I hate losing and never want to tank but we need a healthy Luck and a team around him moving forward + a new Coach. I usually even try my best to defend Chuck but I think it's time to move on from him, JMO.

I completely agree.  It's hard because I want the Colts to be in contention this year(which is still sort of possible) but on the flip side, a healthy luck, new coach, high draft pick and plenty of cap space, things should be looking good next year.  It just stinks to wait another year.  Nothing we can do though!

9 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I don't care how talentless you are. These players are in the NFL. They're talented individuals and there should be no excuses for losses. Pagano has nearly as much say in who is drafted as Grigson or Ballard has. If you think that's not true I'm sorry. 

With the lack of talent the last two years then this years team should be busting at the seems with talent. And still 0-2 start. 

So who are you blaming?

a) Ballard & Grigs for not drafting good players

b) Pags for not winning without Andrew, Kelly, and Vontae

c) The medical staff for not keeping players healthy

d) Irsay for not changing the field surface

e) All of the above

f) Someone/something not mentioned above

1 hour ago, Restored said:

I do think Doyel typically goes over the top with the dramatics BUT.....

This time he is pretty spot on. Hilton and Moncrief have been lacking in their effort and appear to be somewhat disconnected so far this season. Moncrief is playing himself right off of this team next year at this rate.

I will be glad when he's gone. Moncrief is hurt a lot and appears not to hustle.

It's an all out slam piece for sure, but it is troubling with a struggling O that our WR's, supposedly the healthiest, strongest piece of our O, are lacking. Lacking in performance as well as effort. Moncrief was nothing short of disgusting Sunday and Hilton just hasn't seemed to make it work. A little extra effort, some "we'll put in the work to get it right", would be appreciated.  A swift kick in the butt is in order for that group.

Wonder how much different they would be if indeed Peyton was still QB...

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am almost always against tanking, I hate it but I am not so sure keeping Luck out all season and getting a Top 3 pick isn't the way to go. We could even trade that pick for a slew of picks, especially if it's the #1. People want Darnold badly. + Luck will be 100% healthy moving forward still only in year 7. He will be just entering his prime. I am just about patience at this point and looking at the big picture. Look at Cam Newton, he looks like damage goods. I think he came back too soon IMO.

I've seen quite a bit of your posts in defense of not throwing away games and competing, so to see you make this comment is surprising. If anything I agree. We need to reload and get some quality around Andrew. One down year wouldn't be the worst. 

I can see that they're probably tired of having an off balanced team and not having Luck back this year. Then to keep losing. That may be why TY has such a Meh attitude during interviews. I'm sure after they get a win they will have a change in attitude. Not trying to justify it but just a thought.

1 minute ago, adubb84 said:

I've seen quite a bit of your posts in defense of not throwing away games and competing, so to see you make this comment is surprising. If anything I agree. We need to reload and get some quality around Andrew. One down year wouldn't be the worst. 

Yeah I am always against losing with the exception of 2011 when we got to 0-8 and had Luck waiting in the wings. I just am in the mindset now of wanting to make sure Luck is 100% to start next season and I believe Ballard needs another Draft to get us better.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I am always against losing with the exception of 2011 when we got to 0-8 and had Luck waiting in the wings. I just am in the mindset now of wanting to make sure Luck is 100% to start next season and I believe Ballard needs another Draft to get us better.

Agreed. One more draft should AT LEAST get us more competitive. As for luck, yes, 100% and nothing else. As you said cam looks brutal out there. Is 2-0 and really worth it your franchise QB goes down for the season after 5 games?

Agreed. One more draft should AT LEAST get us more competitive. As for luck, yes, 100% and nothing else. As you said cam looks brutal out there. Is 2-0 and really worth it your franchise QB goes down for the season after 5 games?

I agree. Eventhough the Panthers are 2-0 you can tell Cam isn't right. I want Luck 100% not 80%.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh I still want to win, it's way too early to throw in the towel. It starts with the Browns and then we will see.

The Browns should be a good one. May get roasted for this but I think we can hang with Seattle once we meet up. They didn't look all that hot against the 49ers, plus their line is shakey....

I like our chances. 

The Browns should be a good one. May get roasted for this but I think we can hang with Seattle once we meet up. They didn't look all that hot against the 49ers, plus their line is shakey....

I like our chances. 

Seattle hasn't been the same since losing the SB the way they did. Wilson is a Very Good QB, I don't think Great but he is Top 10 without debate. They miss Lynch.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

With me it's losing the game, it's the status of Luck because without him we cant go anywhere.

Yeah but,

For years we have watched suck-butt defenses and although we really have only played mediocre teams so far, I can see our defense becoming something special for a change.  

It just feels like they only need some time together and a few guys back and or added.  It is like they are just a bit out of time.  I can get fired up about a good defense.  

Remember, defense wins championships.  Even our SB year we only scored FG's to beat Baltimore....Our defense won that game.

Perhaps (likely) no playoffs, but we will get much better as the year marches on.  Too many young players without experience right now.

14 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I wouldn't stand for having T-shirts with your name on it in the locker room. Not if I was GM. That is a very I oriented attitude in a team sport. 

Its the coaches and GMs with the attitude of team first that actually change the culture to a winning one. 

It irritates me when fans think something like that is no big deal, and then scream when we lose games horrendously. No. That one thing isn't going to make you a bad team, but many things like that, will. I'm sorry but the Colts have a Majorie culture problem. Among other problems. Yet, I'll remain a fan. Hopefully someday soon we will see our winning culture back. 

Just remember these problems in the future I bet our new coach will help make all that go away.

18 hours ago, snkdy said:

Doyel really has a flair for the dramatic. The WRs were absolutely disappointing on Sunday, but I don't think shirts or socks have anything to do with character. It's completely irrelevant to me. 

Exactly,

This article is garbage: it implies lack of character based on superficial reasons.

What if Moncrief wore that T shirt prior to the game as a confidence builder? While I agree there is no "I in team", I don't think its an issue,

As far as TY diving - didn't Marvin do the same thing? Nothing wrong with self-preservation when you are 5'9". It's not like he dives on EVERY play. And as far as his statement of practicing on his day off, players need rest and have every right to have a day off. He did say they work on timing, after practice.

My major irritation at articles like this is that it reminds me of a schoolyard mentality where kids point fingers at other kids that fail. The overall intention is to question Pagano's ability to control the team, that no matter what happens or what individual players decide what to say (or what to wear), it comes back to the HC.

I am shocked at some writers and fans who KNEW the Colts would need time to gel with a new defense and injuries to key players, yet instead of being patient and seeing that there was progress between game 1 and 2, they criticize and choose to look on the negative issues (or creating negative issues) that are being addressed week by week.

I hope this team gets better every week, gets healthy and into the playoffs......WITH Chuck Pagano

All the local media negativity gets old to me. They are welcome to write whatever sells, but I tune it out

Sure the Colts aren't very good, but I don't want to sit around griping about it non-stop, nor listen to others do the same

Some of these guys act like the Colts owe them some explanation, etc. As if having a good team is some god-given right

2 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Exactly,

This article is garbage: it implies lack of character based on superficial reasons.

What if Moncrief wore that T shirt prior to the game as a confidence builder? While I agree there is no "I in team", I don't think its an issue,

As far as TY diving - didn't Marvin do the same thing? Nothing wrong with self-preservation when you are 5'9". It's not like he dives on EVERY play. And as far as his statement of practicing on his day off, players need rest and have every right to have a day off. He did say they work on timing, after practice.

My major irritation at articles like this is that it reminds me of a schoolyard mentality where kids point fingers at other kids that fail. The overall intention is to question Pagano's ability to control the team, that no matter what happens or what individual players decide what to say (or what to wear), it comes back to the HC.

I am shocked at some writers and fans who KNEW the Colts would need time to gel with a new defense and injuries to key players, yet instead of being patient and seeing that there was progress between game 1 and 2, they criticize and choose to look on the negative issues (or creating negative issues) that are being addressed week by week.

I hope this team gets better every week, gets healthy and into the playoffs......WITH Chuck Pagano

I think you're confusing the cause and effect here. The cause Doyel is referring to is overinflated ego's resulting in lethargic attitude's and play.

Marvin earned the right to dive because he was consistently making plays. TY, while he displays an amazing measure of talent sometimes, hasn't earned that yet.

Now, is Doyel being a little over the top with some of his assessments? Probably. But he isn't wrong in some of what he's saying.

I agree that Doyel has a flair for the dramatic. That's okay though. He's also real. Some people don't like him because he doesn't sugar coat his opinions and some people don't like hearing the raw uncut truth.

I think he's spot on with the culture issue, which is what is at the heart of this article. All the t-shirt and sock criticism is just dramatics he threw in to highlight the culture issue. The culture thing stretches out to the fan base too.

23 hours ago, threeflight said:

I am surprised no one posted this article yet from Indy Star.  In it, the writer really gives some insight into some of the Colts and their attitudes.

Sounds like many of the rookies and undrafted FAs are humble and hard working, which make sense.

Also sounds like Pagano's relaxed attitude is letting some of the players with lets just say more narcissistic personalities get even worse.  Moncrief wearing a t shirt with a pic of himself on it the day after a terrible game?  And TY sounds like a jerk to be honest.  I have always liked TY as a player, but I never respected him as one because I do not think he is a fighter the way Reggie was.  He disappears way too much and lays down much too often.  

Interesting read....thoughts?

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/09/18/indianapolis-colts-have-enough-losers-need-more-winners/678036001/

I'm pretty tired of the TY sometimes disappears in games lie.  

Last year he was under 50 yards in only 5 games and all but one of those games he was over 40 yards for the game. 

So in only one game was he under 40 yards.

If you take a gander at Odell Beckham Jr.'s game logs from 2016 you will see he has similar results.  He's under 50 years in 5 games,  All but one of those games he's got 40 or more.  One game he has less then 40.  

If TY Hilton "disappears" then you can say the same thing about the guy who's agreed to be the league's 2nd best receiver.   

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm pretty tired of the TY sometimes disappears in games lie.  

Last year he was under 50 yards in only 5 games and all but one of those games he was over 40 yards for the game. 

So in only one game was he under 40 yards.

If you take a gander at Odell Beckham Jr.'s game logs from 2016 you will see he has similar results.  He's under 50 years in 5 games,  All but one of those games he's got 40 or more.  One game he has less then 40.  

If TY Hilton "disappears" then you can say the same thing about the guy who's agreed to be the league's 2nd best receiver.   

I agree. Because Beckham plays in NY he could stink for 8 games but if he is awesome in the other 8 the media thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread. Because we are in Indy and the media are kicking us when we are down, TY has one bad week and all of the sudden he stinks :lol: