Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pre-Game Shows Are Now Pathetic To Watch

King Colt

Some pre-game shows have become poor versions of SNL. Stupid comedy(?) skits, guys wearing stupid hats all behaving like college fools. Inside The NFL is still halfway watchable and Fox with Long, Johnson and Bradshaw is  OK but the others are just making fools of themselves to try to boost ratings for younger viewers. People in their 40's & 50's being forced by the producers to scream instead of speaking. What ever happened to informing the viewers? College pregame shows are not as ridiculous and their audience is  a lot younger than the pros. And to those that would say "don't watch", the point is the trash being put on the screen is done so for what reason when there are so many other options.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Fox with Long, Johnson and Bradshaw is  OK

The Rob Riggle picks-skits used to be really funny at first.  The Bradshaw schtick has worn itself out too.

It seems like they spend less and less time each year talking Xs and Os and more time trying to be funny.

I miss John Madden.  He might have used caveman language, but at least he was talking football.  BOOM!

6 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

The Rob Riggle picks-skits used to be really funny at first.  The Bradshaw schtick has worn itself out too.

It seems like they spend less and less time each year talking Xs and Os and more time trying to be funny.

I miss John Madden.  He might have used caveman language, but at least he was talking football.  BOOM!

Fox the 1st One I stopped watching 

On 9/18/2017 at 11:37 AM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

On 9/18/2017 at 11:45 AM, PrincetonTiger said:

Fox the 1st One I stopped watching 

FOX is the worst of them all. The only time I turn on ESPN is when they are broadcasting a game. Everything else is mindless psychobabble 

5 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

FOX is the worst of them all. The only time I turn on ESPN is when they are broadcasting a game. Everything else is mindless psychobabble 

Yeah ever since Disney bought out ESPN it has went way down hill. That was back in 2013. You cant chat on their boards without Facebook and they have fired a lot of their best people. I have been watching less and less of them lately. They are still a great source for play by play following games regarding their website which I use but I don't watch their shows as much like I used too. Mike and Mike are done as well at the end of the year is what I have been hearing.

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I watch the fantasy football  now show on espn 2 before the games

I still like Mike and Mike but they are doing away with that show. I watch Stephen A and Max here and there battle in their debates but maybe only once or twice or week now. Other than that I have actually been watching a lot of the NFL Channel and MLB Baseball Channel over the last few months. ESPN just isn't as appealing. They have Monday Night Football so we have to watch that of course.

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah ever since Disney bought out ESPN it has went way down hill. That was back in 2013. You cant chat on their boards without Facebook and they have fired a lot of their best people. I have been watching less and less of them lately. They are still a great source for play by play following games regarding their website which I use but I don't watch their shows as much like I used too. Mike and Mike are done as well at the end of the year is what I have been hearing.

I work right across the street from ESPN. Soo many lay-offs.. they work there employees like dogs. I always wanted to work there as a child. But since I've gotten older I've been steered away from them pretty far.

ESPN ratings have been going down-hill. They are going to political and would rather talk about Kaepernicks's sorry butt and the issues around why he isn't playing. Mike and Mike are splitting up.. which is really the only reason I still listen to ESPN radio (which I'm doing right now)

P.s. who misses NFL Primetime?!

38 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I work right across the street from ESPN. Soo many lay-offs.. they work there employees like dogs. I always wanted to work there as a child. But since I've gotten older I've been steered away from them pretty far.

ESPN ratings have been going down-hill. They are going to political and would rather talk about Kaepernicks's sorry butt and the issues around why he isn't playing. Mike and Mike are splitting up.. which is really the only reason I still listen to ESPN radio (which I'm doing right now)

Me too. I loved watching NFL Prime Time with Berman and Tom Jackson. I miss that dearly. I used to start my Sundays with NFL Match Up, Sports Reporters, Outside the Line and then the pre-game show.  I used to end my Football Sundays with Primetime.  It has been years since I have watched any of those shows. :(

I still listen to Mike&Mike. Greenie is as compassionate and intelligent a radio guy as there is. I am listening to them now too. I like Trey Wingo; so he should be a good replacement for Greenie. It is the newer people that I don't like -- Stu Gotts et al. Trey is an old timer and is serious, not acting silly or screaming like some of the others. My favorite radio personality is Richard Neer from WFAN in NYC. 

I agree with others that Fox pre-game is probably the worst. If I watch one, it is the CBS one.

45 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Me too. I loved watching NFL Prime Time with Berman and Tom Jackson. I miss that dearly. I used to start my Sundays with NFL Match Up, Sports Reporters, Outside the Line and then the pre-game show.  I used to end my Football Sundays with Primetime.  It has been years since I have watched any of those shows. :(

I still listen to Mike&Mike. Greenie is as compassionate and intelligent a radio guy as there is. I am listening to them now too. I like Trey Wingo; so he should be a good replacement for Greenie. It is the newer people that I don't like -- Stu Gotts et al. Trey is an old timer and is serious, not acting silly or screaming like some of the others. My favorite radio personality is Richard Neer from WFAN in NYC. 

I agree with others that Fox pre-game is probably the worst. If I watch one, it is the CBS one.

Greeny upset me a little with the Luck stuff but in general I like him and I love Golic. That is really the only show worth watching on ESPN.

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I hear ya, back when I was in college people used to call me Mr ESPN because I knew everything about sports. That was 20 years ago when ESPN ruled.

39 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I still just listen to the NFL PrimeTime soundtrack on youtube just for the good memories. 

I Mike Greenberg is awesome, I'll miss him. But Trey is a good replacement. I hope the show will prosper still. Stu Gotts is such a fool. Sometimes it's funny, I just can't read him. If he's being serious or just fooling around. He seems to hate everyone and thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread. I like when Dan "tries" to put him in his place and settle him down. 

P.s. CBS is the best one.. probably because we are biased to AFC

4 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I still just listen to the NFL PrimeTime soundtrack on youtube just for the good memories. 

I Mike Greenberg is awesome, I'll miss him. But Trey is a good replacement. I hope the show will prosper still. Stu Gotts is such a fool. Sometimes it's funny, I just can't read him. If he's being serious or just fooling around. He seems to hate everyone and thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread. I like when Dan "tries" to put him in his place and settle him down. 

I have always liked Jim Nantz, the combo of him and Romo I like doing games. Romo looks like he will be awesome at doing games.

1 hour ago, shakedownstreet said:

When this guy starts talking, my brain goes numb 

Capture_zpsdhriijjj.png

Michael isn't on but one of their pre-game shows.

They have three and they go to the sites and talk about injuries and the usual stuff.

But they switch around. No one person is on for more than 2 hours.

All the show are too long but NFL Net is the best, to me

Just now, shakedownstreet said:

When this guy starts talking, my brain goes numb 

Capture_zpsdhriijjj.png

I was in the bedroom last Sunday and heard this long screaming coming from the TV. After what seemed to be way too long I walked out to see what the screaming was thinking someone had turned on the news. It was Irvin. Some people believe if you have nothing to say speak louder.

12 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I was in the bedroom last Sunday and heard this long screaming coming from the TV. After what seemed to be way too long I walked out to see what the screaming was thinking someone had turned on the news. It was Irvin. Some people believe if you have nothing to say speak louder.

hahah. I think it's hilarious how excited he gets about things.

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Greeny upset me a little with the Luck stuff but in general I like him and I love Golic. That is really the only show worth watching on ESPN.

What did Greeny say about Luck? I never remember him saying anything negative about Luck.

11 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I like CBS best too and I am a Vikings fan. :)

I cannot begin to tell you how much I dislike Stu Gotts. I turn the radio off or to the another station when I hear him come on. I used to love Robin Lundberg and Ryan Ruocco  (spelling) but I believe both were laid off. They retained a lot of the loud mouths that I don't care for. Hate the screamers. I like Mike Golic a lot, but I thought it was unfair that his son was retained and guys with seniority were let go. I like Mike Jr a lot, maybe better than his dad but I thought he was retained because of his dad. 

Do you ever listen to WFAN? The only loudmouth on sports radio that I enjoy is Joe Benigno.

I know it is only Sunday night, but I genuinely enjoy Dungy and Harrison. At least you feel like you are talking about real football with them. OK, it doesn't hurt that I really like Dungy, but he and Harrison talk strategy, players, coaching, etc. Just interesting to watch

BTW, so agree on Irvin. If I don't hit the mute button fast enough I get irritated. Can't stand to listen to him for a second. Too bad he tries to dominate the conversation, I like hearing what Mariucci has to say most of the time.

I texted a group chat of my friends the other day, something to the effect "remember when they used to talk about football on ESPN Sunday NFL Countdown?"

It's so bad now...ESPN is to sports as MTV is to music as this point...it's just awful...and getting worse...which is good because that's marching step for step with the on-field product as well...

Even my ability to gawk at Samantha Ponder isn't enough for me to want to tune in this week...and as a fan, it's costing me a lot of money, as now I have to stay out even later on Saturday nights just to ensure I won't be able to wake up in time to watch any of the pre-game shows...

Also, of no note, coming up fast on the outside track is College Gameday and its product. There is an easily defensible case that College Gameday plus the college football product itself (in terms of relevant matches) is a better viewer experience and a better fan experience than what the NFL can offer on average...

8 hours ago, mikey287 said:

Also, of no note, coming up fast on the outside track is College Gameday and its product. There is an easily defensible case that College Gameday plus the college football product itself (in terms of relevant matches) is a better viewer experience and a better fan experience than what the NFL can offer on average...

The problem is that college football is so weak compared to what it used to be.

Its almost like Arena Football..

Defense and college football almost cant be mentioned in the same sentence

Close to 20 years ago in the days of big satellite dishes, I could watch every single NFL game at my house. Without announcers, commercials, pregame shows or any of the other inane crap that pollutes the games. You could hear the crowd, the players yelling, the sounds of helmets and shoulder pads hitting. You could watch the pregame warmups and the coaches talking to the players during timeouts.  It was great and I never appreciated how good it was until it was gone.