Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possible Luck Update

ColtsArmy84

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

Is Irsay just hoping that any week now, Luck will be able to play, just like the rest of us are doing? I don't see why Irsay doesn't say outright that Luck probably won't return until Week 6 or Week 7. We're already losing games so it can't be much of a strategy to throw off our opponents. Probably not saying anything so people don't sell their tickets until Andrew Luck makes a return.

I honestly think if Luck isn't back by week 8, the colts need to just keep him off the field and let him come back next season at 100%. even if it means the colts go 0-16 or even 2-14.  

2 hours ago, ColtsArmy84 said:

Per Fox's Jay Glazier:

Luck (shoulder) still isn't able to make all the throws he needs to do before participating in practice and probably will miss another 3-4 weeks, Fox's Jay Glazer reported on their Sunday pregame show.

This falls in line with other reports describing Luck's lack of progress. Be prepared to see plenty of Jacoby Brissett and Scott Tolzien over the next few weeks.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/colts-andrew-luck-still-behind-schedule/

Yet the Colts tell us he hasnt had a setback. Could be seeing alot of JB this year.

Place him on injured reserve right now our season is lost cause we wont beat any good teams with either of the two QB's on this roster.

2 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Just wondering why Josh Freeman was ushered out the door so fast?

Josh Freeman was released because he ASKED to be released.    It was not because we didn't want him.

Josh Freeman would be a quality backup for most any NFL team.    And yet he's NOT on any NFL roster.    The reason is that he doesn't want to be.    Maybe he did a good job of saving his money?

But he's not playing for anyone.

Brissett is a good young backup.    Looking forward to seeing what he can do.

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Josh Freeman was released because he ASKED to be released.    It was not because we didn't want him.

Josh Freeman would be a quality backup for most any NFL team.    And yet he's NOT on any NFL roster.    The reason is that he doesn't want to be.    Maybe he did a good job of saving his money?

Well that's too bad as I thought he would be a good addition to the club.

Thanks for the response!

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He asked the bucs to release  him.   I can't find anything about him asking the colts to release him

38 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He asked the bucs to release  him.   I can't find anything about him asking the colts to release him

OK.....    I'm going by my memory.....     I didn't see a reason why the Colts would let him go.    And since he's not with another team,   it seems like he's not interested in playing football.     The guy can play.     And yet he's not.

4 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Surely seems like a setback to me compared to what Irsay said in the spring.

If it's not an unexpected setback, they screwed up in not acquiring a better backup earlier.  Most likely, a setback. That last minute trade for JB was a good move by Ballard.  At least he did something. 

3 hours ago, ColtsArmy84 said:

Per Fox's Jay Glazier:

Luck (shoulder) still isn't able to make all the throws he needs to do before participating in practice and probably will miss another 3-4 weeks, Fox's Jay Glazer reported on their Sunday pregame show.

This falls in line with other reports describing Luck's lack of progress. Be prepared to see plenty of Jacoby Brissett and Scott Tolzien over the next few weeks.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/colts-andrew-luck-still-behind-schedule/

Yet the Colts tell us he hasnt had a setback. Could be seeing alot of JB this year.

If he isn't practicing by mid October, then he will have likely have suffered some type of setback.  Not until then, by medical definition of that surgery recovery time frame(s).  Also note, those athletes that do return to sport by 9 months, (overhead sport, IE: Pitching, Volleyball, Tennis, Handball, Jai Alai, Cricket, Quarterbacking, etc...) still do not 'feel' 100% normal until almost 12 months have passed (11.7 mean).  This info is not opinion, it has been reported by Dr. Chao, an orthopedic surgeon and former Head Physician of the San Diego Chargers -17 years, and in peer reviewed medical journals.

It is fair to say Luck has not progressed as fast as many had hoped,  by the organization and fans. But in looking at his history, he really hasn't recovered on the early side of the time frames on any of his previous injuries that I'm aware of.

It is also fair to say if Luck does not practice before 10/15, they should have moved him from the Active/PUP to the Reserve/PUP.  We still have a few weeks though...  keep watching those practice reports and the date.

Luck doesn’t play this week who knows? However I’m still holding out hope of him practicing. Everything I’ve heard is that the Colts are holding him back. Their doing it to make sure there are no setbacks. He himself wants to start amping up. Their just being cautious. 

4 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Surely seems like a setback to me compared to what Irsay said in the spring.

Irsay said ONE meaningful thing about the surgery and that was it was a success.
A youthful person would believe he had ANY IDEA how any athlete would be doing months ahead of time.

That is just plain old _______ _____.

Fortunately we have Jacoby Brissett, He could use the experience and play time. He give us a better chance to win any of our games and it helps his familiarization with the playbook and the offensive players. At the end of the day he will be our 2nd QB. I don't expect Andrew to be ready to play for awhile even after he gets to practice. He will be very rusty. The key is being in a position to have both QB's available if we get lucky to be in the playoffs. JB will be a starting QB in the NFL. 

Anyone who has had shoulder surgery of almost any type will say that it is very difficult to recover.  Had three torn muscles in the rotator cuff...repair was in 2006 - I still can't throw for squat.  But then, I didn't have world-class rehab folks working on me for months.  :^)

Hoping Andrew can make it back.

5 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Which makes more of a blunder not acquiring a decent veteran backup QB in the offseason knowing you have a injury prone qb to begin with coming off of shoulder surgery on his throwing arm.

Stupid!

I don't think any veteran QB has as much upside as JB. He never lost the game yesterday. Some of our so called vets did.

5 hours ago, Jdubu said:

The optimist wanted to believe he would be back by opening day but my inner voice has been saying all along that the way the organization has handled it, more than we know has happened and it feels like PM neck surgery all over. I still want to believe that he will be back by game 4-6 but again, my inner voices say he isn't going to see the field this season, especially under this online operation. Sad handling of a QB under Pagano and Grigson years. Should almost be liable in court 

Up there as one of the worst posts of all time. Just stupid. 'Almost liable in court'. Like, is there an almost death row. Scratch that, there probably is......

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

If he isn't practicing by mid October, then he will have likely have suffered some type of setback.  Not until then, by medical definition of that surgery recovery time frame(s).  Also note, those athletes that do return to sport by 9 months, (overhead sport, IE: Pitching, Volleyball, Tennis, Handball, Jai Alai, Cricket, Quarterbacking, etc...) still do not 'feel' 100% normal until almost 12 months have passed (11.7 mean).  This info is not opinion, it has been reported by Dr. Chao, an orthopedic surgeon and former Head Physician of the San Diego Chargers -17 years, and in peer reviewed medical journals.

It is fair to say Luck has not progressed as fast as many had hoped,  by the organization and fans. But in looking at his history, he really hasn't recovered on the early side of the time frames on any of his previous injuries that I'm aware of.

It is also fair to say if Luck does not practice before 10/15, they should have moved him from the Active/PUP to the Reserve/PUP.  We still have a few weeks though...  keep watching those practice reports and the date.

Nobody talks about this much .. but the truth is sometimes shoulder injuries never heal correctly. At this point in time , I'm just hoping he comes back 100% as it is not a "given."

48 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Anyone who has had shoulder surgery of almost any type will say that it is very difficult to recover.  Had three torn muscles in the rotator cuff...repair was in 2006 - I still can't throw for squat.  But then, I didn't have world-class rehab folks working on me for months.  :^)

Hoping Andrew can make it back.

Didn't see your post and posted similar....

Yeah I'm thinking he'll be back weeks 5-7.  Once he's cleared he'll come back and play but every game would terrify me watching him behind the OL coming off an injury.  Good news is until he's cleared I don't see him playing until he's 100% rightfully so.  

It would also be compounded if the Colts have yet to find a way to win before he comes back.  Still early and hopefully they can eek out a win against the Browns this weekend.  If the Colts are 0-5 for example, with little to no hope, it's going to be tough to watch Luck take a battering coming off an injury.  Heck, it's tough to watch him take a beating in general. 

5 hours ago, dw49 said:

Nobody talks about this much .. but the truth is sometimes shoulder injuries never heal correctly. At this point in time , I'm just hoping he comes back 100% as it is not a "given."

Yes, you bring up a good point nobody wants to tread on at this stage, but is valid.  There are tons of (cryptic looking) studies on the subject (people can look up), that are a hard read read (sometimes it seems even for me, LOL, maybe information I don't want to know...)  . But without alarming the members but in the interest of truth in reporting, I guess a couple general takeaways here are in order:

1.  Odds of returning to preinjury levels of participation after arthroscopic superior labral repair with or without soft tissue debridement are consistently lower in overhead/throwing athletes than in nonoverhead/nonthrowing athletes.

2.  When comparing baseball players with other overhead athletes, return to full participation was nearly twice as high for other overhead athletes compared to baseball players/pitchers.

And to lessen the fears of those that a mole hill and build mountains, there is a fairly high return to particiapation with limitation (which we would hope minuscule, but I digress) as well.

So point made, but lets continue to treat this as not applicable, at least at this time.

If Luck is not back by the Seahawks game, our hole might be too much to climb out of. Seahawks' speed at LB will smother Brissett that the read option will not be as effective against them. I would feel better about our D if the game was at home vs the Seahawks but it is no.

My worst case scenario is Luck coming back for the Titans MNF game (first divisional game), best case scenario is the Seahawks SNF game. 

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If Luck is not back by the Seahawks game, our hole might be too much to climb out of. Seahawks' speed at LB will smother Brissett that the read option will not be as effective against them. I would feel better about our D if the game was at home vs the Seahawks but it is no.

My worst case scenario is Luck coming back for the Titans MNF game (first divisional game), best case scenario is the Seahawks SNF game. 

It's honestly not looking good.  He still hasn't practiced and not much is really being said.  I know he could practice this week and play next week or even  practice all of next week and play the following week but I am thinking it's not going to happen.  I honestly think the Colts would have a good chance with Luck playing vs Seattle, they really haven't looked all that good and there o-line has had 2 bad games thus far.  I hope I am wrong and I hope Luck practices soon and gets back on the field.  I agree with you, week 6-7 will be to late and to much of a hole to climb out of. 

41 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yes, you bring up a good point nobody wants to tread on at this stage, but is valid.  There are tons of (cryptic looking) studies on the subject (people can look up), that are a hard read read (sometimes it seems even for me, LOL, maybe information I don't to know...)  . But without alarming the members but in the interest of truth in reporting, I guess a couple general takeaways here are in order:

1.  Odds of returning to preinjury levels of participation after arthroscopic superior labral repair with or without soft tissue debridement are consistently lower in overhead/throwing athletes than in nonoverhead/nonthrowing athletes.

2.  When comparing baseball players with other overhead athletes, return to full participation was nearly twice as high for other overhead athletes compared to baseball players/pitchers.

And to lessen the fears of those that a mole hill and build mountains, there is a fairly high return to particiapation with limitation (which we would hope minuscule, but I digress) as well.

So point made, but lets continue to treat this as not applicable, at least at this time.

Thanks for the info. I knew MLB pitchers had a hard time recovering from this type injury and that prompted what I brought up.

My question is #1 mentions "overhead throwing athletes. So does that mean a QB , who's motion is not quite overhead has a better chance of a full recovery ? Probably so but how much better ....

3 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Thanks for the info. I knew MLB pitchers had a hard time recovering from this type injury and that prompted what I brought up.

My question is #1 mentions "overhead throwing athletes. So does that mean a QB , who's motion is not quite overhead has a better chance of a full recovery ? Probably so but how much better ....

QB appears it might be in the other overhead athlete category. And if so, that group shows nearly twice as high a return rate, according some studies I read.