Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'm confused how Brisett played so well, given the circumstances.

ReMeDy

How does a QB who only had up to two weeks of prep time with a new team manage to beat a QB who had an entire off-season? They had to have known Andrew Luck wouldn't be starting in the regular season, so Tolzien must have received plenty of notice. I know the Rams defense is better than the Cardinals, given the Rams have Wade Phillips at DC, but is the Cardinals defense really THAT bad?

I heard the Colts simplified the playbook or play-calling for Brisett. If so, they should do that more often, even with Luck, and have Luck make his own adjustments at the line.

4 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

How does a QB who only had up to two weeks of prep time with a new team manage to beat a QB who had an entire off-season? They had to have known Andrew Luck wouldn't be starting in the regular season, so Tolzien must have received plenty of notice. I know the Rams defense is better than the Cardinals, given the Rams have Wade Phillips at DC, but is the Cardinals defense really THAT bad?

I heard the Colts simplified the playbook or play-calling for Brisett. If so, they should do that more often, even with Luck, and have Luck make his own adjustments at the line.

Just a guess on my part, but perhaps Brisett is a better player.

He played well, but a simplified playbook, lack of practice snaps, and a couple drops result in 13 points.  

I expect them to expand the playbook next week.  And with a week of reps, the receivers (Crief!) should be able to handle his passes better.  

Browns are not that bad, especially on D.  Their O killed them today.  

I remember seeing Brisett holding his stomach and wincing in pain towards the end of the game.

And thought to myself, 'That could easily be our $140 million dollar QB'

Let Luck sit the season out and allow him to fully heal. Brisett can gain a ton of experience, and who knows? Maybe he can impress someone so much, that he can land us a solid draft pick perhaps? If not, he's cheap and under contract for a few more years.

It's a win-win situation.

4 minutes ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

I remember seeing Brisett holding his stomach and wincing in pain towards the end of the game.

Let Luck sit the season out and allow him to fully heal. Brisett can gain a ton of experience, and who knows? Maybe he can impress someone so much, that he can land us a solid draft pick perhaps? If not, he's cheap and under contract for a few more years.

Hopefully Luck doesn't take a whole season to heal and he can get back and lead this team to some wins.  I don't want these kids we have to get a loser mentality or be beaten down.

2 hours ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

Luck will play when he's 100%, which is the right thing to do.

The play calling was much more dialed in, suggesting a pared down gameplan is a good idea moving forward, whoever's at QB.

They were immediately able to have success on third down, including some long conversions on the first drive. They were 8/18 overall, compared to 0-10 last week. Having competent QBing is such a benefit, right?

Between drops and second half penalties, they gave this game away. It's too bad, too, because the defense stayed tough all game (pass defense still has big issues, though), and Brissett stayed in control, powered through some rough stretches, got back in a rhythm late in the 3rd quarter, and really only had one big mistake. He had a couple other poor throws, was late on some, needed more touch on others, and I think he passed up some opportunities to go downfield. All things considered, he played a good game, and I think he played well enough for us to win. 

33 minutes ago, Superman said:

The play calling was much more dialed in, suggesting a pared down gameplan is a good idea moving forward, whoever's at QB.

They were immediately able to have success on third down, including some long conversions on the first drive. They were 8/18 overall, compared to 0-10 last week. Having competent QBing is such a benefit, right?

Between drops and second half penalties, they gave this game away. It's too bad, too, because the defense stayed tough all game (pass defense still has big issues, though), and Brissett stayed in control, powered through some rough stretches, got back in a rhythm late in the 3rd quarter, and really only had one big mistake. He had a couple other poor throws, was late on some, needed more touch on others, and I think he passed up some opportunities to go downfield. All things considered, he played a good game, and I think he played well enough for us to win. 

Regarding the pass D, the secondary was starting 2 rookies, a UDFA in (I believe) his first start, and Melvin. When Vontae comes back, and the other three get some much needed experience, I do believe they can do some damage.

But I agree, still a long way to go.

1 minute ago, NorthernBlue said:

Regarding the pass D, the secondary was starting 2 rookies, a UDFA in (I believe) his first start, and Melvin. When Vontae comes back, and the other three get some much needed experience, I do believe they can do some damage.

But I agree, still a long way to go.

I get having young guys back there, but the Cardinals had players wide open across the middle and on the outside. Some of those were pick/rub plays (how come the Colts can't run those, ever?) against a two-rookie DB setup, with Wilson and Hairston getting crossed up, and that's just something we'll have to live with this year. That play is hard enough to cover for an experienced secondary, especially with the patented Bruce Arians presnap motion. 

Melvin got beat a lot, also, which is a regular occurrence, but to his credit, he made a couple of nice plays in coverage and had some nice tackles. Kind of a bounce back game for him, but we still need to upgrade that spot. 

They apparently decided to pull the plug on the TJ Green situation. That's interesting, I didn't think Green had a bad game last week, but he definitely doesn't have the CB instincts that Wilson has. Green didn't even play any safety, from what I saw. I haven't rewatched yet, but I was looking all game and don't remember seeing him at all.