Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade Castanzo

RockThatBlue

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I wish I made the big bucks to decide that, but I don't see him as a middle of the pack LT anymore. He was really, really bad today. He has regressed so much from his first 2-3 years. He almost never had games this bad.

UH, he was 1/2 a sack off the league leader his 1st 2 years and gave up an INSANE 73 total sacks hits and hurries in year 3. He gave up only 4 sacks his contract year but still a fair number of h and hurries. Been downhill ever since.
 He is just a fraction too slow to be a good LT. I give a B+ in grit as he gives us what he has every game.  lol

3 hours ago, Jaric said:

Thank you.

To the rest of the forum, the next time you type out "X player sucks, we should trade him," I want you to stop, delete your post, then spend the next 20 minutes thinking about what you almost did.

NFL teams aren't going to trade for players who suck so badly you want to get rid of them.  To believe they will is silly.

Don't be silly.

Yes and no. 

If they are truly bad, then you wont get anything. If the hate is only based on fan perception, then they absolutely can be picked up by another team. Dorsett is a perfect example. I have seen countless threads and posts saying that Dorsett sucks/ is a bust and we should trade him.

Fans overreact on both sides of the spectrum. If we dont like a mediocre player, they are a steaming pile of garbage. If we do like a mediocre player, they are All Pros in the making. 

We probably could trade AC. It would be a stupid idea, trading a starter on our o line with no replacement for him, but im sure someone would offer a late round pick. If the Rams can successfully trade Greg Robinson, then AC should get at least a couple offers. 

A player who is as bad as most fans think Castonzo is would be waived not traded.

If the Colts wanted to cut him, it would have happened already.   His roster bonus was guaranteed in March. This year, cut before the new league year (day 5), he would have been $18.4 million dead cap hit.  Very tough situation for the GM to cut him.

3 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Colts should draft a LT and move AC to RT. Yes, he's getting paid a lot but right now we can't afford to just get rid of him. Plus he would do better at RT. 

Or cut him and take the $5.6 million dead cap hit rather than the $10.8 million cap hit to have him on the roster.

On 9/17/2017 at 3:17 PM, GoColts8818 said:

Like it or not he's still our best option at left tackle.  Maybe they will look at in the off-season but for now he's the only real option at left tackle.

Yep, and this OL gets drastically worse if you remove Castonzo from the equation. I hate that he's getting paid elite LT money, but what was he supposed to do when they gave him the contract, say no?

56 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Yes and no. 

If they are truly bad, then you wont get anything. If the hate is only based on fan perception, then they absolutely can be picked up by another team. Dorsett is a perfect example. I have seen countless threads and posts saying that Dorsett sucks/ is a bust and we should trade him.

Dorsett trade looks decent now since Brissett had a decent start yesterday. But once Luck returns, and Brissett's role is reduced to holding a clipboard, while Dorsett's role expands in New England, it'll probably feel like we got fleeced a little bit.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Dorsett trade looks decent now since Brissett had a decent start yesterday. But once Luck returns, and Brissett's role is reduced to holding a clipboard, while Dorsett's role expands in New England, it'll probably feel like we got fleeced a little bit.

All depends on how much time Dorsett misses. He went down with an injury already yesterday. 

On 9/17/2017 at 1:08 PM, jbaron04 said:

Let him be for the time being he is not in our long term plans tbh, Clark delevop he has Lt skill set. Constanzo is a Rt that was forced to be the Lt but he has slow feet. But the one thing I will say is he is always available to play which is a big big skill

Forced to play LT? He was a 1st round pick that should tell you his expected position. AC has played LT since his college days at BC. The guy didn't have a great day yesterday and he won't be making any pro bowls. He's still our best option at LT. The idea that he'd be a better RT is speculation he's never played RT. The call to trade or cut him is beyond ridiculous. He's not one of the top paid LT's in the league he's around 13th. Clark does have the measurables to play LT but the guy doesn't have the skill set to hold down RT

https://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/

This roster has plenty of holes why create another one? The cut AC thread happens every year. He was ranked by PFF as our best player on the OL last year imagine that. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-this-season

On 9/17/2017 at 4:23 PM, RockThatBlue said:

I don't know, but I do know Castanzo isn't LT material.

He still the 3rd best Offensive Linemen Colts have cutting him or trading him without having a solid option to replace him coming from a trade would be worst possible mistake ever. Lets say Mewhort becomes superstar RG, Kelly C, we find LG or current develops into capable all-pro calibre. Then we find the same in a LT. I would then move AT to RT and look for his replacement.

On 9/18/2017 at 4:44 PM, SaturdayAllDay said:

Yes and no. 

Fans overreact on both sides of the spectrum. If we dont like a mediocre player, they are a steaming pile of garbage. If we do like a mediocre player, they are All Pros in the making. 

We probably could trade AC. It would be a stupid idea, trading a starter on our o line with no replacement for him, but im sure someone would offer a late round pick. If the Rams can successfully trade Greg Robinson, then AC should get at least a couple offers. 

I get what you're saying.  I was pointing out the lunacy of declaring a player to be terrible and then expecting other NFL teams to give you something for them.

If your assessment of the player is correct, your expectations are ridiculous.  If your expectations are correct, your assessment is ridiculous.

Either way, you're wrong.  (Not "you," the royal you)

On 9/18/2017 at 6:49 PM, akcolt said:

Forced to play LT? He was a 1st round pick that should tell you his expected position. AC has played LT since his college days at BC. The guy didn't have a great day yesterday and he won't be making any pro bowls. He's still our best option at LT. The idea that he'd be a better RT is speculation he's never played RT. The call to trade or cut him is beyond ridiculous. He's not one of the top paid LT's in the league he's around 13th. Clark does have the measurables to play LT but the guy doesn't have the skill set to hold down RT

This roster has plenty of holes why create another one? The cut AC thread happens every year. He was ranked by PFF as our best player on the OL last year imagine that. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-this-season

Those are stats from last season. You need to look at each weeks individual grade. The weeks JM was out AC sucked. He plays better when Jack is next to him. This season now that JM isn’t there to help him. He get beat inside way too much. 

On 9/18/2017 at 6:49 PM, akcolt said:

Constanzo was projected to be a Rt coming out of college he has slow feet 

Here's a thought...what if he starts playing better as the year goes on? Improved technique and consistency. 

Whenever I see threads that are knee-jerk reactions, born out of frustration, and contrast that with what the staff (who know a little bit more about football than we do) is doing, I take it with a grain of salt. 

If it is a matter of athleticism, that's one thing. If the issues are correctable, that's something entirely different. 

He does need to play better and I think he can.

16 minutes ago, Roger said:

This will be his second season under coach Philbin.  Either he improves and Philbin shows he is a good teacher and coach, or Castonzo continues to disappoint. 

Philbin needs to show you he can coach? Interesting Have you seen what PFF thought about the game? Did you see who they said our best OL was last year? Did you hear the guys Ballard thought were set when he took over? Thats are a lot of guys that should know what's really happening. He had a bad game have you watched the other LT's in the league? It's one of if not the toughest jobs in the game. They face the top athletes every week and our QB's hold on to the ball longer than most. The penalties need to stop and AC needs to be more consistent.  We could be in a lot worse shape at LT and will be if AC isn't there. 

4 hours ago, akcolt said:

Philbin needs to show you he can coach? Interesting Have you seen what PFF thought about the game? Did you see who they said our best OL was last year? Did you hear the guys Ballard thought were set when he took over? Thats are a lot of guys that should know what's really happening. He had a bad game have you watched the other LT's in the league? It's one of if not the toughest jobs in the game. They face the top athletes every week and our QB's hold on to the ball longer than most. The penalties need to stop and AC needs to be more consistent.  We could be in a lot worse shape at LT and will be if AC isn't there. 

I forgot. We have all the best players and best coaches on the Colts. That's why we're underdogs, to the Browns. At home.

15 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

First, saying he was projected to be a RT is not the same thing as saying "he's a RT forced to play LT". 

Second,

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/anthony-castonzo?id=2495137

Castonzo has the potential to develop into a top left tackle capable of shutting down top speed rushers.

"...who could be a consistent LT for the next 8-10 years in the NFL..."

Nothing I've seen suggests that he was projected as a RT.

I have a general question.

For those that talk about moving AC from LT to RT, why do you think that will accomplish anything?

He's never played RT, so the muscle memory from 11 years of playing LT (4 in college and 7 in the NFL) would have to be forgotten.

Most team line up their speed rushers on the offensive right side now, or at least move them around so much that it doesn't make a difference.

It's not like the defenders are weaker or slower or dumber on that side.

Usually when I read someone say to move AC to right side, my first thought is, if the poster thinks that is a viable option then they don't really understand oline play.  But I am older and wiser now, so my second thought is that perhaps I'm missing something and there is a viable reason to try that.  So for those that want to move AC to the RT spot, what is/are those viable reason(s)?

7 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I have a general question.

For those that talk about moving AC from LT to RT, why do you think that will accomplish anything?

He's never played RT, so the muscle memory from 11 years of playing LT (4 in college and 7 in the NFL) would have to be forgotten.

Most team line up their speed rushers on the offensive right side now, or at least move them around so much that it doesn't make a difference.

It's not like the defenders are weaker or slower or dumber on that side.

Usually when I read someone say to move AC to right side, my first thought is, if the poster thinks that is a viable option then they don't really understand oline play.  But I am older and wiser now, so my second thought is that perhaps I'm missing something and there is a viable reason to try that.  So for those that want to move AC to the RT spot, what is/are those viable reason(s)?

I agree.  In the past years your RT was a run blocker - most teams are right handed and runs were to the right.  The LT was your blindside protector.  Coffeedrinker said it right, it no longer matters as defenders now move to get the better matchup.  Another example is Freeney/Mathis you have both coming at on both sides.

On 9/17/2017 at 4:37 PM, a06cc said:

I’ve been saying it for years that the guy sucked. I was told lots of things. But now some of you can finally see what your own eyes. He isn’t good unless Jack Mewhort is next to him to cover up his mistakes. 

hahaha

where do people come up with this stuff

On 9/18/2017 at 5:42 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

luck might be out a while, plus the colts could always trade brissett again

he would bring a solid player or pick 

On 9/20/2017 at 1:25 PM, jbaron04 said:

That's completely wrong every word. Amazingly you could not be anymore wrong.  His quick feet and mobility were listed as strengths. He was projected as a 1st round pick at LT 

I love how people post their flawed incorrect opinion and act like it's the truth. Do you know how to do a search? Google ring a bell? Here this is from his NFL draft profile:

Castonzo has the potential to develop into a top left tackle capable of shutting down top speed rushers. Started his first game as a true freshman and didn't leave the field during his four years at BC. He has very good mobility. Castonzo is a first rounder with a chance to be the first O-lineman taken.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/anthony-castonzo?id=2495137

On 9/17/2017 at 5:10 PM, jbaron04 said:

Constanzo would be a solid Rt take a big pay cut, and play Rt for us draft The Lt we need or hope Clark develops. 

This.  JMV was talking about that yesterday.  Convert him to the right side and draft your left side next draft.  We're likely to have a high pick.

1 hour ago, AZColt11 said:

This.  JMV was talking about that yesterday.  Convert him to the right side and draft your left side next draft.  We're likely to have a high pick.

If AC doesn't start at LT then he probably is cut. We have 3 young guys that can play RT. AC has not played RT as a pro. There is no guarantee he is a stud on the right side. If he's getting LT money he needs to be giving us pro bowl seasons at RT. 

A lot will depend on how he performs this season not the first two games. Once again the line looks like a bad game of musical chairs  AC isn't going to crash the pro bowl but he's capable of playing better than he's shown this far. 

If we are picking early I am making sure that I am selecting the best football player. I'm not looking exclusively for a LT.