Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Callin 'em out -- Week 2

Superman

Who do you think is critical to the Colts' chances this week? I think we'll all be looking at the QBing, so I'm naming Jacoby Brissett right off the bat.

I also think Jack Mewhort is important this week. The interior line has to do well in both phases, protection obviously, but if the offense has a chance of being productive they have to be able to run the ball. Mewhort is the veteran interior lineman right now, and he's been at less than 100% all offseason. It's time for him to be the rock for the OL.

Defensively, the Cardinals are going to test the secondary. I'd call them all out, but if I had to zero in on one guy, it would be TJ Green. The staff is putting a lot on him, and he's either going to sink or swim. He gave up a TD last week, he needs to have a clean game against Arizona.

Who are you callin out?

I don't think one player will determine the outcome for this game for the Colts (unless Brissett plays like Tolzien). I think we are severely outmatched (even with the Cards not having David Johnson), and the team as a whole is going to have to play the game of their lives to sneak away with a victory. That includes the coaching staff calling different plays to actually make this team a threat rather than Chud's normal plan.

The youth.  QB, RB, OL, CB and S.  The Colts will go as far as the kids can carry them.  Brissett no mistakes, Mack to provide a spark on the ground and receiving, that line to keep Brissett clean and to open holes for the backs, as time of possession and grinding it out will mean a W, and Wilson and Hooker creating a turnover.  

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Defensively, the Cardinals are going to test the secondary. I'd call them all out, but if I had to zero in on one guy, it would be TJ Green. The staff is putting a lot on him, and he's either going to sink or swim. He gave up a TD last week, he needs to have a clean game against Arizona.

Who are you callin out?

I'm calling out TJ Green for his absolutely horrible tackling. He was just trying to missile tackle everything instead of wrapping up. He not only blew a ton of tackles opportunities, but he was a danger to his teammates with his reckless kamikaze missile fest. I actually think a couple of the Colts injuries might be directly attributed to his bonehead play Sunday.

On a side note, after watching that TD a few more times, I became more angry with Butler than Green. Both safeties stood in cover 2, one on each hash mark, at the 5 yard line (Butler was on Greens side), while TJ played outside technique to defend the sideline and endzone pylons. He ended up trailing on the post pattern, but neither Butler or Hooker ever moved. They actually stood on the 5 the whole time and watched the ball go right over their heads for a TD, dead center in the endzone.  It was truly pathetic safety play on that TD.

I'm calling out the OL. I think they should be able to block this group from AZ. Also calling out Chud to script a good game plan that makes it easy for them to execute. Hoping he gets the ground game moving and the playaction. Jacoby seems to do well utilizing the play fake. Noticed that in that preseason game.

One guy I'm calling out is John Simon, not because he's disappointed me but because I have really high hopes for him. Forced a few turnovers in preseason and we could really use that against the Cards. And just overall, I'm looking for him to be a leader for this defense.

Another guy I'm calling out, on the offensive end, is TY. Since they're likely rolling with a limited playbook I imagine quite a few plays involve guys like Doyle and Hilton. I think Hilton really needs to help out if we're going to get a win.

Although, I do expect Arians to be gunning for TY on defense. So if I can add a third, I'd call out Moncrief. He and Brisett connected deep already and I imagine they already have a connection brewing.

1 hour ago, Douzer said:

On a side note, after watching that TD a few more times, I became more angry with Butler than Green. Both safeties stood in cover 2, one on each hash mark, at the 5 yard line (Butler was on Greens side), while TJ played outside technique to defend the sideline and endzone pylons. He ended up trailing on the post pattern, but neither Butler or Hooker ever moved. They actually stood on the 5 the whole time and watched the ball go right over their heads for a TD, dead center in the endzone.  It was truly pathetic safety play on that TD.

Butler didn't play it right, IMO, but I think it was Green's man. Green was flatfooted at the top of the route and let the receiver run right past him. It's possible that Green was expecting deep help and choose to play the short option hard, but it looks like that's what Butler did. Hooker was on the other side, but he played underneath also. Once Green had no leverage to the inside and no help from the safeties, it was a done deal. If Green doesn't bite, Goff has a much harder throw to make. I think they both played it wrong, but I don't know the play.

27 minutes ago, Superman said:

Butler didn't play it right, IMO, but I think it was Green's man. Green was flatfooted at the top of the route and let the receiver run right past him. It's possible that Green was expecting deep help and choose to play the short option hard, but it looks like that's what Butler did. Hooker was on the other side, but he played underneath also. Once Green had no leverage to the inside and no help from the safeties, it was a done deal. If Green doesn't bite, Goff has a much harder throw to make. I think they both played it wrong, but I don't know the play.

Watched that play a few more times just now... so frustrating.

I am calling out the O and D coordinators. I remember years ago, freaking David Carr was in the midst of like a 74 sack season. But, Huston's D was scoring points as always. They literally would run a dive, a cut-back, and a play-action to two WRs only running routes. If no 1st down, they punted. Nothing cute. Nothing fancy. Just do what it takes to win. Their O scored 3 points. The D scored 14. They won 17-14 against one of the betters Steelers team from that era. 

We saw Chud call plays last week against their best D-Back for some reason. We saw TJ Green matched up against... Krupp? with no help. Pagano better smack those guys, get them to scheme around the defense/offense instead of forcing it