Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Imagine a quarterback with Favre's arm, Peyton's brain, Vick's legs and Brady's

BloodyChamp

"Imagine a quarterback with Favre's arm, Peyton's brain, Vick's legs and Brady's..."

Why would I want #4's arm? Brett was legendary for throwing game ending interceptions in the playoffs. No, thank you.

Can I replace retire boy with say Warren Moon or hades, I'll even take Phillip Rivers who throws nice passes with pressure bearing down on him. Never been sold on Favre at all. So overrated. 

Everything else, I will green light & co sign though. 

On September 4, 2017 at 10:12 AM, Shafty138 said:

I thought you were gonna say wife..... lol

Actually, I'd rather have Brady's secret to health & beating father time. Either that, or access to Brady's accountant or money manager. 

Gisele seems like a cool lady & all. Supermodels aren't my thing. I like you know people with real jobs other than walking in high heels in Victoria Secret lingerie. 

Yes, I'm aware of the irony that Gisele modeling skimpy outfits will make more money in a decade then most of us will see in 1 lifetime. I know that Gisele will get the last laugh on me & everybody else. Touche. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

"Imagine a quarterback with Favre's arm, Peyton's brain, Vick's legs and Brady's..."

Why would I want #4's arm? Brett was legendary for throwing game ending interceptions in the playoffs. No, thank you.

Can I replace retire boy with say Warren Moon or hades, I'll even take Phillip Rivers who throws nice passes with pressure bearing down on him. Never been sold on Favre at all. So overrated. 

Everything else, I will green light & co sign though. 

Application denied

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Actually, I'd rather have Brady's secret to health & beating father time. Either that, or access to Brady's accountant or money manager. 

Gisele seems like a cool lady & all. Supermodels aren't my thing. I like you know people with real jobs other than walking in high heels in Victoria Secret lingerie. 

Yes, I'm aware of the irony that Gisele modeling skimpy outfits will make more money in a decade then most of us will see in 1 lifetime. I know that Gisele will get the last laugh on me & everybody else. Touche. 

It wasn't nearly that deep of a comment, I thought it was pretty lighthearted....

5 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Application denied

giphy.gif

And what does Peyton Manning have to do with Brett Favre again? Of yeah, not a darn thing. Would you like me to post #4 losing to the Saints in 2009? See how foolish that application denied post was. Or maybe you'd like me to post all the Playoff games Brett lost as a member of the Packers. Fav Ra also lost to John Elway & the Broncos if I'm not mistaken BC. Application Revoked. 

#4 is still the leader in career NFL picks is he not? Also, Manning's intellect on the field was being commended not his arm like Brett Favre's arm was being evaluated in your original thread topic BC. Way to change the rules there when it doesn't fit your thesis there sir. LOL! 

5 hours ago, southwest1 said:

And what does Peyton Manning have to do with Brett Favre again? Of yeah, not a darn thing. Would you like me to post #4 losing to the Saints in 2009? See how foolish that application denied post was. Or maybe you'd like me to post all the Playoff games Brett lost as a member of the Packers. Fav Ra also lost to John Elway & the Broncos if I'm not mistaken BC. Application Revoked. 

#4 is still the leader in career NFL picks is he not? Also, Manning's intellect on the field was being commended not his arm like Brett Favre's arm was being evaluated in your original thread topic BC. Way to change the rules there when it doesn't fit your thesis there sir. LOL! 

Mad ^

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

IMO I think if we just put Tom and Peyton in the Top 2 we can call it a day. That seems like the only real debate on every discussion Board I ever read over the last 10 years. Even it isn't a debate because Tom has 5 Rings now it still is in a lot of ways because, Peyton won 2 SB's with 2 different teams and has 5 MVP's to Tom's 2. So Peyton will always be in this discussion along with Montana who I would be disrespectful to leave him out with his 4-0 in SB's and 0 INT's in all 4 games.

Putting Brady at 2 also means that you put an unruly weight on championships...meaning that you effect players further down the list hard. If we're looking to create a two-man list, it's easy. But if you're looking to make an actual list in context, you're going to have an awfully hard time working Brady into the top 5 AND keeping Graham below him and Bradshaw out of the top 10. Among others things...like how close Eli Manning gets to Dan Marino, for instance. Typing that nearly cost me my lunch...

22 hours ago, footballhero1 said:

From 98-2002 he had one year where his completion percentage was over 65%. Aside from 2002 62.7 was the highest it's ever been. After 2003 he never had a year below 65 and 65 was a low he only had twice (excluding his final year).

In this window from 1998 to 2002, Peyton Manning is 5th among all QBs (min 1500 attempts to weed out backups) in completion pct at 62.1% (Warner, Gannon, Griese and Garcia were ahead of him. Garcia and Griese were at 62.2, just for reference)

Peyton Manning never had a passer rating above 95 from 1999-2002. He had several years in the 80's as well during that time frame. From 2003 on his passer ratings were 99, 121, 104, 101, 98, 95, 99.9, 91.9 (this was his lowest besides 2015, it was the 2010 season), 105, 115, 101, 67 (his final year on the decline)

In this window from 1998 to 2002, Peyton Manning is 5th among all QBs (min 1500 attempts to weed out backups) in QB Rating at 85.9 (Warner, Gannon, Garcia, Beuerlein were ahead of him). With Warner's monster peak [one of the best peak's ever] being quite the outlier.

So in the two big efficiency stats he was significantly better post 2003 than pre 2003.

His interception numbers were significantly lower and more consistent post 2003 than pre 2003. He had 100 INT from 98-02, averaging 20 a season. Post 2003 in 12 years he threw 151 interceptions, averaging 12.5 interceptions a season. It took 5 years to reach his first 100 interceptions, post 2003 it took 9 years to reach his next 100. 

Again significant improvement pre and post 2003. 

TD wise he only broke 30 TD's once in 5 years. Post 2003 he only went below 30 on 4 occassions, one obviously being his last season. He also broke 40 once and 50 once in that time period.

Yards are the only stat where he is consistent throughout. And no offense, but guys like Matt Stanford put up large yardage numbers pretty consistently. It's not a great indicator.

I'm not saying he was trash pre 2003, but he was significantly better in a most statistics post 2003 to the point where we wouldn't look at him as being as great if he kept the averages he had in his first 5 years over the course of his next 12. It's a big difference. 

In this window from 1998 to 2002, Peyton Manning is 1st among all QBs (min 1500 attempts to weed out backups) in TDs with 138 (ahead of Favre 132, Gannon 115 and Warner 101). 

Yes, he did throw less interceptions as he became better at football  If your point was "players generally get better as they develop and become more experienced" then bingo, we have a winner. If your point was, "Peyton Manning wasn't anything particularly special before a run of MVP caliber seasons that the league has never seen" then you're still not really right. Even in his worst subset of seasons, it's difficult to figure a way to not consider him a top-5 QB in the NFL.

The "big difference" you're noting is him jumping from an elite QB to, quite likely, the best QB of all time.

For those that are into this kind of thing...

Just a loose foundation for knowledge...I compiled all passing stats finishes (i.e. Drew Brees finished 1st in yards, Big Ben finished 7th, whatever) for Yards, TDs, Comp%, Int%, QB Rating going back to 1932 (including AFL and AAFC). I took the top 8 finishes from 2016-1995; top 7 finishes from 1994-1976; top 6 from 1975-1970; top 5 from 1969-1960 (top 3 of AFL); top 3 from 1959-1932 (incl. AAFL). [exception: 1934, top 2 finishers, 1932 just one passer met the min. passing requirements]. Ties on formula based things (Comp%, Int%, QB rating) were calculated to break the tie, for yards and TDs if you finished tied for 2nd you received a 2nd place finish and 3rd place would be skipped (i.e. 1, 2, t-2, 4...). Min. 10 games played going back to - IIRC - 1950.

Points assigned per place finished: 1st (15), 2nd (12), 3rd (10), 4th (7), 5th (5), 6th (3), 7th (2), 8th (1).

This is not meant to construe who is the best of all time, these numbers have no context, they are just raw numbers...this is a data dump...(also, now would be a good time to mention, I do not know how to make tables on here)

1 Sammy Baugh 640
2 Peyton Manning 617
3 Fran Tarkenton 525
4 Otto Graham 490
5 Johnny Unitas 485
6 Drew Brees 474
7 Len Dawson 444
8 Y.A. Tittle 437
9 Brett Favre 421
10 Joe Montana 411
11 Tom Brady 396
12 Dan Marino 395
13 Arnie Herber 382
14 Sonny Jurgensen 371
15 Steve Young 360
16 Ken Anderson 322
17 John Brodie 320
18 Norm Van Brocklin 319
19 Sid Luckman 306
20 John Hadl 298
21 Aaron Rodgers 272
22 Bart Starr 266
23 Roger Staubach 266
24 Dan Fouts 253
25 Ed Danowski 252

Brady doesn't do enough "special" things to ever be considered the best.  He is just super consistent as long as he has time in the pocket and/or a short receiver open 5 yards away.   Every 5-7 plays he throws it in Gronk's vicinity which is all he needs to do.  He will NEVER make that crazy pass that Aaron Rogers made last year in the playoffs to get his team a win.   

• Like 1

Bill Belichick has had some terrific defenses, but also some LOUSY defenses. I don't know why everyone at times acts like he is flawless here and walks on water. He has had some choke jobs in the past himself too as a coach. He has been even outcoached before in the past. They have missed out on the draft before as well and with FA picks in NE. They too have had problems from time to time. Since they just won the SB this year everyone acts like they have always been this flawless entity.

Before they got the SB win over Seattle many were screaming everywhere that the DYNASTY IS DONE DONE DONE. 

Pats have also been geniuses of taking advantage of a weak AFC at times lately. Since Peyton retired too, it is even weaker.

Brady isn't the GOAT IMO and that got over hyped this past offseason but I don't even think there IS a real GOAT in sports and certainly not based on ring counts.

Brady has had his down moments before too and has weaknesses but I certainly don't think he is this noodle armed system loser this forum sometimes makes him out to be either that needs Bill B. to help him even go to the bathroom.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jules said:

Bill Belichick has had some terrific defenses, but also some LOUSY defenses. I don't know why everyone at times acts like he is flawless here and walks on water. He has had some choke jobs in the past himself too as a coach. He has been even outcoached before in the past. They have missed out on the draft before as well and with FA picks in NE. They too have had problems from time to time. Since they just won the SB this year everyone acts like they have always been this flawless entity.

Before they got the SB win over Seattle many were screaming everywhere that the DYNASTY IS DONE DONE DONE. 

Pats have also been geniuses of taking advantage of a weak AFC at times lately. Since Peyton retired too, it is even weaker.

Brady isn't the GOAT IMO and that got over hyped this past offseason but I don't even think there IS a real GOAT in sports and certainly not based on ring counts.

Brady has had his down moments before too and has weaknesses but I certainly don't think he is this noodle armed system loser this forum sometimes makes him out to be either that needs Bill B. to help him even go to the bathroom.

"Brady isn't the GOAT" did I just hear the great Jules say that - just joking because I know how much you have praised him in the past like LeBron. He has the best resume regarding winning is why many say he is the GOAT, I personally would take Peyton in an all-time Draft if I had the 1st pick. This may shock you but I would take Magic over Jordan as well in a Draft, Magic to me is the best ever at making players around him better. Jordan has him in Titles though 6-5.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jules said:

The game is bound to eventually pass him up...it happens to every great coach. Lombardi couldn't do anything in the 70's, Tom Landry (one of my favorite coaches ever, and I mean this in no disrespect) also didn't age well once the 80's rolled over, and neither did Don Shula or Chuck Noll for that record...Bill Parcells was the man in the 80's but was never quite the same in the 90's....Even Mike Holmgren wasn't really the same coach in the 2000's after he left Green Bay. 

The game changes decade by decade. That's why Buddy Ryan and Mike Ditka never looked the same again once offenses adapted to the spread and wide open pass happy offenses. If that never happened, every team would be running the 46 defense today. 

Bill B has been an exception thus far, but it won't last forever....Eventually, the game will pass him up like it did every other genius coach in the decades before him. 

You are right too that we all used to sit around and laugh over the idea of NE getting #4 until it finally happened against Seattle...They went 10 whole years before winning another one. 

This is how I feel about things, entirely. There isn't a GOAT and never will be....The only fair way to put is to break down eras and decades and rank them in their respective era where they belong since it's much more fair to compare them to their contemporaries in the same era. Once you start comparing QB's of today's era to the 80's and 70's, it just isn't fair at all since rule changes and how the game used to be played has to be taking into consideration at all times. 

I hate the top lists of QB's. It never looks right cause you have guys from different eras thrown in there and their stats will look bad compared to one another since modern QB's play in such a pass happy era with rules that benefit them. It should be branched off decade by decade. A top 10 list of the best QB's of the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's and new millennium is far more fair then lumping them all together. 

There's also those GOOD QB's every decade who are forgotten cause they never won anything and peaked at a rare moment before collapsing, and doing a top 10 list of them by decade, gives people the chance to shine a light on these forgotten good QB's. Every decade has a QB like that. In the 70's it's Bert Jones, in the 80's you have Bernie Kosar and Boomer Esasion, in the 90's there is Jim Harbaugh and late career surge Randall Cunningham...In the last decade, it's probably Philip Rivers as the really good QB who gets forgotten. 

• Like 3

Jules, what people still refuse to admit is that if you didn't get your head kicked in every now and then you weren't great. I mean...that's just how it is. 

Also somebody mentioned Phillip Rivers which validates another thing we've been over so many times but never sticks. All you have to do watch. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell who the good quarterbacks are, or the overrated ones.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"Brady isn't the GOAT" did I just hear the great Jules say that - just joking because I know how much you have praised him in the past like LeBron. He has the best resume regarding winning is why many say he is the GOAT, I personally would take Peyton in an all-time Draft if I had the 1st pick. This may shock you but I would take Magic over Jordan as well in a Draft, Magic to me is the best ever at making players around him better. Jordan has him in Titles though 6-5.

I am praising Brady though, I am saying he is a part of this Pats operation too just like the head coach. Brady is the only player even who has been on all 5 of these SB winning teams. 

As for the GOAT thing, I got a big reactionary after the SB, it happens........*shrugs*

4 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

So since 11-5 after 16-0 meants Brady was God, does 0-1 after 1-0 mean ah skip it

The Pats in 2008 were still basically though the same team who went 18-1 the year before, just inserted a different QB. The 2007 Pats played a pretty difficult regular season schedule too, the 2008 Pats had a cake walk.

After 2008 the Pats defense started to nosedive pretty hard for a while.......

I can't fully judge this years Pats yet after just one single game but I would be concerned if I was a Pats fan.

9 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

I don't know where that whole easy schedule in 2008 keeps coming from. The Dolphins and Jets had winning seasons, winning seasons that weren't considered fraudulent like before because they included Bill Parcels and Brett Favre, and the Bills won 6 or 7 in 4th place iirc.

Every year every divisions is assigned two divisions to play one from the NFC and one from the AFC. The 2008 Patriots played two divisions where only one team between all 8 of them had a winning record. That record was 9-7. 

That schedule was so bad the Dolphins jumped from 1-15 to 11-5. That's how big the difference was. The Patriots couldn't outperform a team that was 1-15 a year they were 16-0 the following season without their QB. Oh and Favre was nothing special in 08. He led the league in interceptions and his passer rating was 81. 

1 minute ago, footballhero1 said:

Every year every divisions is assigned two divisions to play one from the NFC and one from the AFC. The 2008 Patriots played two divisions where only one team between all 8 of them had a winning record. That record was 9-7. 

That schedule was so bad the Dolphins jumped from 1-15 to 11-5. That's how big the difference was. The Patriots couldn't outperform a team that was 1-15 a year they were 16-0 the following season without their QB. Oh and Favre was nothing special in 08. He led the league in interceptions and his passer rating was 81. 

12 other teams couldn't outperform the the Dolphins either. Favre was the main MVP as late as week 12 or so before he got hurt, and if you want to use the w/l differential angle then it applies to Favre to with the shoe on the other foot. He improved his team by 5 wins like Bradys absence supposedly hurt his team by 5 wins. That's not exactly my logic...but it's yours so.

23 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

12 other teams couldn't outperform the the Dolphins either. Favre was the main MVP as late as week 12 or so before he got hurt, and if you want to use the w/l differential angle then it applies to Favre to with the shoe on the other foot. He improved his team by 5 wins like Bradys absence supposedly hurt his team by 5 wins. That's not exactly my logic...but it's yours so.

Wait so the QB you consider one of the best ever was worth as many games as Brady that year?

2 hours ago, footballhero1 said:

You said Favre's play was the reason the Dolphins improved. I have you his stat line for the entire year and the pitfal record of the team's he played. 

I was responding to both things in 1 post, the Dolphins and Favre. You're acting like the Dolphins went from 1-15 to 9-7 in some junk division. They went 11-5 (the 12 was was a typo). The Pats couldn't outperform them true, but neither could the other teams they beat out of 11 victories. That's not a coincidence, especially when you consider that the guy who put it all together put the same kind of turnaround together previously with a little team called the Patriots.

Favre got hurt in 2008 and his stats imploded through the last 4 games. That why he was still a Pro Bowler as Pro Bowls were decided early back then. If the MVP would have been decided that way then he would have took that to. That's the kind of year he was having before it went south. And in the minds of many he basically had the SB MVP before it all went south. And yes his old * breaking to pieces was a big reason it went south but get your facts straight and quit ttying to sell stuff that just isn't. He beat the 11-5 Pats and Dolphins, 13-3 Titans (when they were the last undefeated team at 10-0, on a Sunday before beating the Pats that Thursday) and 9-7 Cardinals who were only 9-7 because they rested starters before they went to the SB. 6 TDs in that game btw. What a pitiful bunch of teams. You are more done than your old account. 

On 9/9/2017 at 7:17 PM, BloodyChamp said:

Favre got hurt in 2008 and his stats imploded through the last 4 games. That why he was still a Pro Bowler as Pro Bowls were decided early back then. If the MVP would have been decided that way then he would have took that to. That's the kind of year he was having before it went south. And in the minds of many he basically had the SB MVP before it all went south. And yes his old * breaking to pieces was a big reason it went south but get your facts straight and quit ttying to sell stuff that just isn't. He beat the 11-5 Pats and Dolphins, 13-3 Titans (when they were the last undefeated team at 10-0, on a Sunday before beating the Pats that Thursday) and 9-7 Cardinals who were only 9-7 because they rested starters before they went to the SB. 6 TDs in that game btw. What a pitiful bunch of teams. You are more done than your old account. 

Mad ^

• Like 1

The only way the game passes Bill by is if he goes senile, which I guess happens to everybody who stays alive that long just the same, but I don't see the game ever passing Bill by while he's still standing there genuinely trying to coach. Ego is the real reason many coaches didn't last and it gets written off as them just being done, but Bill seemingly has no ego. 

• 11 months later...
16 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Look no further than the 2018 Cleveland Browns rookie.

That's hilarious. 

Vicks speed?  Um not close

Favres arm strength? Not close

Peytons brain? Mayfields arrest record says he isn't real bright. 

And Hugh Jackson is no BB.

Really close though

• Like 1

The thing that Peyton is chided mainly is for his playoff record compared to Brady. 

I do believe Belichick, with his emphasis on special teams and well rounded teams, was never out of a game and his teams won more close games than any other team that I have known. That 10-0 start for Brady was unreal and there has to be at least half of those won by a FG (3 SBs, Raiders Tuck rule game, Titans divisional round game??) in that stretch of 3 SBs. That equity has still carried that duo. The vets on that squad never let the team's deficit get away at any point, classic case of smart vet talent plus excellent coaching. 

On 8/22/2018 at 3:51 PM, jvan1973 said:

That's hilarious. 

Vicks speed?  Um not close

Favres arm strength? Not close

Peytons brain? Mayfields arrest record says he isn't real bright. 

And Hugh Jackson is no BB.

Really close though

He doesn't attend dog killings. He doesn't send pics of ........."himself"over the internet. What does Bridgett Bardot have to do with Hugh Jackson who just shut out the Super Bowl champs Philly Eagles?

9 hours ago, King Colt said:

He doesn't attend dog killings. He doesn't send pics of ........."himself"over the internet. What does Bridgett Bardot have to do with Hugh Jackson who just shut out the Super Bowl champs Philly Eagles?

Too bad that isn't the criteria the post was made on.