Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL players cut the Colts could sign???

Some players to think about:

Jeremy Kerley, WR, 49ers, he has always been stuck on a bad squad and he caught 64 passes (on 115 targets!) for 667 yards with a bad QB situation

T.J.Ward, S, Broncos - best box safety at least till Geathers comes back, our strong safety position is not the strongest suite for our DB corps

John Greco, G, Browns - he is a very good guard when healthy, can sign him for a 1 year deal, much like Evan Mathis was, for that 1 year with the Broncos

Who are your players you want the Colts to take a look at?

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

They tried to trade him with no takers before they cut him

I saw his 2016 numbers and he was bad along the interior. Blount and the Patriots ran at him at will leading to 3 TDs for Blount in that Patriots vs Seahawks game. That was probably a big reason Seahawks wanted to ship him off. I will take my chances with Hankins, hope Hankins pays off.

Joe Vellano, who is 28, has played on the Patriots squad the last 3 years, can play multiple positions along the line, is a versatile DL too.

43 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Some players to think about:

Jeremy Kerley, WR, 49ers, he has always been stuck on a bad squad and he caught 64 passes (on 115 targets!) for 667 yards with a bad QB situation

T.J.Ward, S, Broncos - best box safety at least till Geathers comes back, our strong safety position is not the strongest suite for our DB corps

John Greco, G, Browns - he is a very good guard when healthy, can sign him for a 1 year deal, much like Evan Mathis was, for that 1 year with the Broncos

Who are your players you want the Colts to take a look at?

I believe it was Holder who said we have put in claims on a couple of WR's so Kerley could be one of them.  We definitely should go for Greco too.  Would love Ward but he will have suitors.  He will probably pick a contender. 

I'd sign a few guys. We HAVE to get Greco !!!! But yeah. Wouldn't mind any of the guys @NorthernColt mentioned above ^^^^^. I want us to start taking chances on highly regarded young players who haven't hit yet. Like 1-3 rounders. Sometimes they go to a new team and ball. Like a David Amerson off the top of my head. Jerry Hughes. Etc. I loved PJ Dawson. I wanted us to draft him. He's very talented. Wouldn't hurt. Alex Collins and Matt Jones wouldn't be bad. I think we're crazy if we don't sign Greco..

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

And even though Seattle gave up a really good WR AND a 2, we should have done everything possible to acquire him. No 1st RD pick, and no Moncrief or obviously no TY.

Are you talking about Richardson? Kearse isn't that good. Jets did it for the pick. Colts would have had to give up a high pick, which would be bad. Colts are in rebuild mode and need all the assets they can get. 

Shilique Calhoun 3rd round pick from MSU in 2016 was released by the Raiders. I was interested in him draft day. I think the Raiders tried to play him as an OLB in their 4-3 and it didn't work. I'd love to get a look at him coming off the edge for us. While at MSU he made a living getting to the QB in big moments.  

29 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Shilique Calhoun 3rd round pick from MSU in 2016 was released by the Raiders. I was interested in him draft day. I think the Raiders tried to play him as an OLB in their 4-3 and it didn't work. I'd love to get a look at him coming off the edge for us. While at MSU he made a living getting to the QB in big moments.  

Didn't see that cut tbh. Was high on him before the draft.

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

He was projected as a 4-3 DE. But the knack on him was he was a speed only guy. Not strength. Bad for 4-3 DE.

10 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I'd sign a few guys. We HAVE to get Greco !!!! But yeah. Wouldn't mind any of the guys @NorthernColt mentioned above ^^^^^. I want us to start taking chances on highly regarded young players who haven't hit yet. Like 1-3 rounders. Sometimes they go to a new team and ball. Like a David Amerson off the top of my head. Jerry Hughes. Etc. I loved PJ Dawson. I wanted us to draft him. He's very talented. Wouldn't hurt. Alex Collins and Matt Jones wouldn't be bad. I think we're crazy if we don't sign Greco..

With our right tackle issues, I am thinking we could move Haeg, a former tackle, who is currently projected to play right guard to right tackle and sign Greco to play right guard. I think it could work. It will get us more experience like it did with the Falcons when they signed Mack and it helped their O-line.

I think we should at least look at the following:

Dorian Johnson (depth on Oline)

Michael Schofield (Oline depth)

Andrew Tiller (Oline)

TJ Clemmings (Oline-)

Xavier Cooper (pass rushing downs)

Shilique Calhoun (Another pass rusher)

Jeremy McNichols (Looked good coming out of college this year)

KJ Dillon (Hard hitting safety)

Leon McQuay 

3 minutes ago, GoColtsGo5150 said:

I think we should at least look at the following:

Dorian Johnson (depth on Oline)

Michael Schofield (Oline depth)

Andrew Tiller (Oline)

TJ Clemmings (Oline-)

Xavier Cooper (pass rushing downs)

Shilique Calhoun (Another pass rusher)

Jeremy McNichols (Looked good coming out of college this year)

KJ Dillon (Hard hitting safety)

Leon McQuay 

Cross Clemmings off your list. He sucks.

Every year we should just pick up 2-3-4 2nd or 3rd year players who were highly regarded prospects. 1-3 RD picks. And some other kids with potential. Like a Calhoun. Hell we'd eventually hit big on one or two. And we may be in rebuild mode this year, but next year if we have any sense we'll be in reload mode. Close to 90 million in cap space and another draft, mixed with our younger guys (rookies this year, 2nd-3rd year players) developing and/or breaking out. Hooker, Wilson, Basham in their 2nd seasons, Haeg, Ridge, etc in their 3rd seasons.

On 9/2/2017 at 7:59 PM, chad72 said:

I did not see that on any Vikings website. According to the Vikings beat reporters, the Vikings wanted Boone to take a pay cut and he refused. So, he was released.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/9/2/16247328/report-vikings-approached-alex-boone-about-pay-cut

12 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Cross Clemmings off your list. He sucks.

Lol. Vikings fans agree. But cross him off because he was claimed by Washington. Their OL coach is probably one of the best in the league. I wish him the best and hope he turns his career around.

Just now, NFLfan said:

Lol. Vikings fans agree. But cross him off because he was claimed by Washington. Their OL coach is probably one of the best in the league. I wish him the best and hope he turns his career around.

Didn't see that. I posted it before he was claimed. Best of luck to him. It'll be interesting to see if the Redskins can turn his career around.

John Greco - Would be a solid depth player if not a starter for our line.  Older than is wanted but right now we need to focus on allowing time for who ever is playing QB.

Gerald Hodges - A lot of people wanted him during FA.  Another player for depth if we have issues with players and health (Bostic).

Perry Riley - Same as above but I like Riley a little more personally.  Hodges is younger but both are under 30.

Gary Barnidge - Not sure what price tag he is hoping for but he could be a solid TE #2.  Swoope is out for awhile so why not?

Dan WIlliams - Older but I think he still has some productive juices left.  If he can allow for a low dollar price tag I would like his depth added.

Jaye Howard - Another pretty good DT to help depth.  I know we have a strong group but they can always get stronger.

On 9/2/2017 at 8:30 PM, Boiler_Colt said:

TJ Ward wont come here. He'll sign for a contender almost certainly.

I don't know.  He got his ring and he took a lower pay then he could have received to get it.  

He may come for whomever gives him the most money.  

That said I would also say that we shouldn't be backing up a brink's truck to his door.  He's 30 and wouldn't be in our long term plans.