Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CB Joe Haden Cut

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Finball said:

Bad teams can cut good, useful players too. That's why they stay bad. Like Taylor Gabriel. Different situation but this is the Browns after all.

I think Hue Jackson knows exactly what he is doing. Those cats are playing the long game. 

1 minute ago, Finball said:

Bad teams can cut good, useful players too. That's why they stay bad. Like Taylor Gabriel. Different situation but this is the Browns after all.

very true... but the browns are just one of those teams lol i don't want anyone they have unless your name is Myles Garrett especially if they had to cut you because no one wanted to trade for your washed injury prone corner 

The one thing we have seen from Ballard is that he wont panic buy (for example with Zuttah) so, if we do bring him in, I don't see us spending "desperation money" on him.

We need to remember Vontae is "week to week" so he could be back by week 4/5 and then we have two highly paid veterans when I would rather see us getting one of our young guys (preferably Wilson) out there alongside Davis getting the reps and the experience.

In Ballard We Trust on this one.

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Haden when healthy is a top 5 corner, but he just can't. I am curious to see a secondary of Davis geathers hooker and haden come November

idk what your top five is but healthy he's better than Sherman, PP Xavier Rhodes, Chris Harris, Talib, AJ Bouye, Janoris Jenkins Marcus Peters Malcom Butler &Josh Norman or even Vontae and jimmy smith when they are healthy? idk if i can agree on that one

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

I think his days of playing man corner could be way behind him. Might have to be in a zone scheme or move to safety now. Is he capable of that? I don't know, but it's not what we are looking for. 

Just my two cents. 

this could be interesting but we have a couple project safety's already, along with a rookie

haden is slightly bigger than butler, but smaller than green and hooker

3 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

idk what your top five is but healthy he's better than Sherman, PP Xavier Rhodes, Chris Harris, Talib, AJ Bouye, Janoris Jenkins Marcus Peters Malcom Butler &Josh Norman or even Vontae and jimmy smith when they are healthy? idk if i can agree on that one

Bouye and Butler I'm not sold on yet, Jenkins had one season as a shut down corner, talib is getting up there in age. Maybe top 5 is much, but he can play if he would just stay healthy

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Bouye and Butler I'm not sold on yet, Jenkins had one season as a shut down corner, talib is getting up there in age. Maybe top 5 is much, but he can play if he would just stay healthy

definitely can play when healthy wouldn't mind having him over melvin ill tell ya that!

6 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

He'll sign with a team with a much higher chance at the playoffs than us.

Everything being equal, why would he sign here?  He won't.  They would have to grossly overpay.  That said, with Poe, even overpaying wasn't enough.

His play has fallen off a cliff...that said he should be highly motivated to get a new contract. 1yr prove it deal could be beneficial to both sides. With all the secondary injuries if he passes medical check it wouldn't hurt to have an experienced corner out there with Davis out for a bit. I won't expect a shut down corner but I think he can be serviceable if healthy. I doubt he is getting over 4 million from anyone else so it could be worth taking a flyer.

For those who say things like they wouldn't want the Colts to overpay, my question is why?  What difference does it make? He is not going to sign a long term contract anywhere, so he's not going to put any team in cap trouble, it really doesn't make a difference if the Colts (or any team for that matter) signs him for 5 mil per year or 10 mil.

I will trust the coaches and GM, they have a lot more information than I do.  I just know based on the preseason games the Colts have two good CBs on the roster... Davis and Wilson, Davis is injured and Wilson has been injured and is a rookie and therefore will make rookie mistakes.  Hairston has played pretty well as the 3rd CB but he was pretty bad on the outside.  

If Davis were not injured, I would definitely be in the, "don't sign him" camp but he is injured.  Haden may end up being bad but it appears that the other Colts CBs are known to be bad.

If the browns are picking up $4 mill of his 2017 contract, I don't think he is going to command a lot of money.  I am sure teams will only pay him X amount of dollars as they take that into consideration.  So on a 1 year deal, if a team is willing to give him $4 mill.  He will be making $8 mill which is ridiculous money for a player that is declining in his play.  That being said if the colts can get him for $2 mill I say sign him.  The only downfall to that though is he might take reps away from QW.

Just now, TheEdgeis1 said:

If the browns are picking up $4 mill of his 2017 contract, I don't think he is going to command a lot of money.  I am sure teams will only pay him X amount of dollars as they take that into consideration.  So on a 1 year deal, if a team is willing to give him $4 mill.  He will be making $8 mill which is ridiculous money for a player that is declining in his play.  That being said if the colts can get him for $2 mill I say sign him.  The only downfall to that though is he might take reps away from QW in the long run.

1 hour ago, PeterBowman said:

I would put the Chiefs as most potential team to sign him...they need corner help badly next to Peters.

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

He'll sign with a team with a much higher chance at the playoffs than us.

The Steelers are looking like the front runners.  And yes they are a playoff bound team IMO.

3 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I have a friend who is a Browns fan and they told me Joe Haden is always getting hurt and that hes not even that good anymore. They are pretty happy he was cut.

I think I'll pass.

Taking a chance on Haden is worth it to me if it's 4 million. Healthy, he was a top corner in the league. If he can't stay healthy, cut him. 

12 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Taking a chance on Haden is worth it to me if it's 4 million. Healthy, he was a top corner in the league. If he can't stay healthy, cut him. 

So you play him for a month and he plays mediocre FB, gets banged up so we dump him.
Poof there goes $4M.  Don`t like the odds he IS a top corner. lol

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

For those who say things like they wouldn't want the Colts to overpay, my question is why?  What difference does it make? He is not going to sign a long term contract anywhere, so he's not going to put any team in cap trouble, it really doesn't make a difference if the Colts (or any team for that matter) signs him for 5 mil per year or 10 mil.

I will trust the coaches and GM, they have a lot more information than I do.  I just know based on the preseason games the Colts have two good CBs on the roster... Davis and Wilson, Davis is injured and Wilson has been injured and is a rookie and therefore will make rookie mistakes.  Hairston has played pretty well as the 3rd CB but he was pretty bad on the outside.  

If Davis were not injured, I would definitely be in the, "don't sign him" camp but he is injured.  Haden may end up being bad but it appears that the other Colts CBs are known to be bad.

so why waste money on someone who is just as bad?  Why not just wait it out and see who/what gets cut Saturday and hope you can get some decent quality 

7 hours ago, TheEdgeis1 said:

If the browns are picking up $4 mill of his 2017 contract, I don't think he is going to command a lot of money.  I am sure teams will only pay him X amount of dollars as they take that into consideration.  So on a 1 year deal, if a team is willing to give him $4 mill.  He will be making $8 mill which is ridiculous money for a player that is declining in his play.  That being said if the colts can get him for $2 mill I say sign him.  The only downfall to that though is he might take reps away from QW.

I would say there is a zero percent chance he gets a 2M deal, I would put the over/under at 6M simply due to supply and demand, someone will pay this guy.  A short term deal is likely as well which is low risk, it will be a bidding war done by tomorrow.  For a team, you have to like a guy who is strong in man and very average to weak in zone coverage who is also injury prone. If I were a GM, I would do a short term deal with relatively low downside risk if it were a position of need, he fit my scheme, and I had the cap space of course.  My guess is there will be 3-5 serious suitors for his services. 

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

so why waste money on someone who is just as bad?  Why not just wait it out and see who/what gets cut Saturday and hope you can get some decent quality 

because I don't think he will be just as bad.  Additionally, Haden being released his because his play is no longer worth his salary, not strictly because his play is not NFL quality.

If there was a chance of getting someone of decent quality after Saturday then by all means.  And another benefit of signing Haden is they can bring him in and play him Thursday and see what they have.  They cannot do that if they wait until Saturday.

But, for a team that is very thin at CB, a chance to get a 28 year old former pro-bowl CB for cheap (relatively speaking) seems like a no brainer.

Just stop talking about him coming to the Colts. It is not going to happen. ESPN and Schefter are already reporting that the Steelers are the front runners as he wants to play for a team that has a legit chance at the playoffs and unfortunately that is not the Colts right now. 

13 minutes ago, GusBus24 said:

Just stop talking about him coming to the Colts. It is not going to happen. ESPN and Schefter are already reporting that the Steelers are the front runners as he wants to play for a team that has a legit chance at the playoffs and unfortunately that is not the Colts right now. 

Hello New England. He'll go there and pay them to let him stay

4 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

I would put the Chiefs as most potential team to sign him...they need corner help badly next to Peters.

They have good starters in Mitchell and Nelson. Little to no depth behind them but they are also in pretty bad cap situation. They had to cut Maclin just to get their draft picks signed. Haden probably won't cost much but I'd assume Chiefs want to save every penny they can.

3 minutes ago, will426 said:

Healthy he'd seem decent but I've seen him toasted so far in preseason..but truly do we really wanna bring an injury prone player to a place where players with no injury history become injure prone?? lmao 

Hey by this logic maybe someone injury prone will become healthy....Toler, Patrick Robinson, Ahmad Bradshaw ...never mind!

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

So you play him for a month and he plays mediocre FB, gets banged up so we dump him.
Poof there goes $4M.  Don`t like the odds he IS a top corner. lol

Don't give him a lot of guaranteed. Davis has been injured frequently as well and we're paying him more and seem to be fine with it. 

Joe Haden expected to meet with Steelers first tonight and not expected to leave without a deal. So there is that. Time to move on!

#Steelers get the first & potentially only visit from FA Joe Haden. They can make sure he never leaves (except to get his things from CLE).

Sources tell @AKinkhabwala and me: The #Steelers are meeting with FA Joe Haden tonight. Here we go.

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

Hey by this logic maybe someone injury prone will become healthy....Toler, Patrick Robinson, Ahmad Bradshaw ...never mind!

lmao I was gonna say that too till I thought about it I mean 2/3 were serviceable at times  but sheesh..we Ruined Arthur jones Kendall Langford who had no injuries 

Joe Haden signs with the Steelers 3  years $27 million dollar deal. DONE per Adam Schefter 

Steelers are expected to sign former Browns CB Joe Haden to a three-year, $27 million deal, including $7M this year, sources told ESPN.

Steelers CB Joe Haden had bigger offers from other teams that he turned down because he wanted Pittsburgh. Haden a Steeler.