Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stafford's new record contract in NFL

life long

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000836494/article/lions-matthew-stafford-agree-to-fiveyear-extension

Good for him, but I remember people saying Luck was over paid. IMO Luck has accomplished far more than Carr or Stafford, and has more upside than both. Luck is the only one to win a playoff game, several obviously.

I'm happy for all players getting paid. I just wonder how people questioned Luck getting paid but are fine with Stafford , Carr, and soon Ryan getting paid a good amount more. As the trend continues Luck's contract will look more like a bargain.

This is why Calvin Johnson retired. Stuff like this...Stafford's fantasy stats may be impressive, but the bigger picture is quite bleak. 

Stafford is - 

5-46 against teams with a winning record. That record is very bad, especially when you compare to other QB's; Aaron Rodgers is 21-29, Drew Brees is 20-48, Matt Ryan is 17-22, Russell Wilson is 19-12, and Tom Brady is untouchable with a 50-33 record.

0-3 in the playoffs - all wildcard berths and they ended the same way; absolutely destroyed by New Orleans in 2011, choked against Dallas in 2014, and just recently, got destroyed again this time by Seattle in 2016. In 8 seasons, he has never even reached the divisional round. 

His best winning record was barely going 11-5 in 2014...a season that ended with them getting slaughtered in Green Bay before choking a week later to Dallas in the wildcard. 

Last year Detroit was one of the worst teams ever to reach the post season on a historical level. They won 9 games, and of 9, a total of 8 of them were decided by 7 or less points. In their losses, most of them were blow outs that made their point differential very bad. They went 9-7, yet they could've easily been a 2-14 team. This team is going nowhere, especially after this. There is nothing that can justify Stafford getting paid this outrageous money just cause his fantasy numbers are great. Enjoy those fantasy stats, cause they aren't winning anything any time soon. 

26 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Good for him and for the Lions. They needed to lock him up. Future QBs are going to be paid a ton. I wonder how much Cousins will get paid. 

Rodger's will get the most soon after cousin's resets the market, imo.

I think Cousins is not going to have as good a year as people expect. New OC...all new WRs....his best receiver is a former qb....I'm not buying it. I think he is better than avg but nothing special this year...and that big contract eludes him.

Fact is Qbs are the most important player on your team. Even if they aren't elite they have to lead the team....Stafford doesn't seem to do either. He made a career of throwing jump balls to Johnson...and now that he has to earn it he is only a slightly better Jay Cutler.

11 hours ago, Synthetic said:

This is why Calvin Johnson retired. Stuff like this...Stafford's fantasy stats may be impressive, but the bigger picture is quite bleak. 

Stafford is - 

5-46 against teams with a winning record. That record is very bad, especially when you compare to other QB's; Aaron Rodgers is 21-29, Drew Brees is 20-48, Matt Ryan is 17-22, Russell Wilson is 19-12, and Tom Brady is untouchable with a 50-33 record.

0-3 in the playoffs - all wildcard berths and they ended the same way; absolutely destroyed by New Orleans in 2011, choked against Dallas in 2014, and just recently, got destroyed again this time by Seattle in 2016. In 8 seasons, he has never even reached the divisional round. 

His best winning record was barely going 11-5 in 2014...a season that ended with them getting slaughtered in Green Bay before choking a week later to Dallas in the wildcard. 

Last year Detroit was one of the worst teams ever to reach the post season on a historical level. They won 9 games, and of 9, a total of 8 of them were decided by 7 or less points. In their losses, most of them were blow outs that made their point differential very bad. They went 9-7, yet they could've easily been a 2-14 team. This team is going nowhere, especially after this. There is nothing that can justify Stafford getting paid this outrageous money just cause his fantasy numbers are great. Enjoy those fantasy stats, cause they aren't winning anything any time soon. 

Do you follow footballo much?

There's very little truth in what you wrote.     From Calvin Johnson to you can't justify Stafford's contract.....

Hey,  you're entitled to your opinion,  but it has no resumblame to the NFL world which we are all fans of....

Stafford isn't 5-46 against teams with winning records. They beat the Vikings twice last year, and a little team called the Colts who some people here recently zinged me over because they "still went 8-8." That's 3 right there, and I don't know how but they've been stealing a game a year from the Packers as far back as 2010. I've seen that stat getting passed around though. My guess is whatever dunce came up with it is the same 1 who came up with Aaron Rodgers getting credit for a win against a winning team because he beat the Browns when they were 3-3 that year. That literally happened on another page elsewhere that year when that stat was addressed correctly, when Scott Kacsmar busted out the 5-24 record Rodgers had against winning teams (aka teams that finished with winning records...not teams who were 1-1 in week 3 wt*).

I like Stafford. He has an early 90s Brett Favre thing going on. He and his team got better when Sterling Sharpe was gone because the offense went from "throw it to Sharpe or dump it off or run" to the west coast offense like it was supposed to be. And if he wouldn't have broke his finger last year...

But say I don't like Stafford, that destroys all this stat garbage people think is so important which is another thing I go on about. He's 1 of those guys who breaks "original" records every year (like the Marino yardage record) but what does it amount to on his best day? 1 and done? And it's happened on worse days than the 1 and done days to.

6 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Certainly glad we signed Luck before this.  I don't think Stafford would have gotten this much on the open market.  He got a $50 mil signing bonus and $92 mil guaranteed.  That's crazy.  His agent is a legend

The deal we signed for Andrew will be a bargain in 2 years

The worst that can be said about Stafford's contract is this....

He didn't beat the previous record high contract by a little....    he beat it by a mile.

Not $100K a year more...    or $250k a year more....    or even $500K a year more....

Or even $1Mill per year more.       Nope.

Stafford's deal beats the per year average of Carr's deal by TWO MILLION PER YEAR.     In NFL circles,  that's HUGE money!

And there are lots of good young QB's who are going to ride those coat-tails along to bigger and better deals.

This was a big, Big, BIG contract....     good for Stafford...    good for the Lions.....    but not so good for the NFL.

21 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Stafford is - 

Bogie, 

What was the Lions ownership supposed to do? Let Stafford go somewhere else? You make him sound like he's an overrated backup who makes completions in garbage time never getting the ball in the end zone. Who plays in the NFC North again? Oh yeah, some elite QB named Aaron Rogers. I wonder why Detroit struggles to win their division & make the playoffs routinely again? Hmmm... If you walked around Motor City right now & said who is the most beloved Lion in your eyes? What name do you think will roll off their tongues without hesitation? Barry Sanders. He retired in 1998 & he is still revered because they haven't won a playoff game since 1991.

Why are you laying so much blame at Stafford's feet? They just put up 28 points vs the SB champ NE Patriots, but you're right Matthew Stafford is crap. LOL! 

I saw this on Undisputed today about Stafford's new contract & Skip actually made good points on Matthew's behalf. 

I just don't get why Stafford takes so much criticism that he doesn't deserve in my estimation. 

Matthew Stafford can make every throw & like Shannon Sharpe said in the video above roughly $20 million is the floor or starting rate for decent QBs now. I never understand why fans attribute salaries to talent or playoff mandates. Like every dollar a QB earns in a new deal is contingent on playoff appearances. That's the goal tremendous production, but not always feasible based on the level of your division competition. Bears DC Vic Fangio makes you earn everything you get as an opposing offense. Aaron Rogers can beat you with a last second hail mary throw, & Vikings HC Mike Zimmer can counteract anything Jim Caldwell throws his direction. 

My point is considering that Detroit has been in the basement for so long; Matthew Stafford deserves some props for making the Lions competitive & make playoff appearances. 

It just bothers me that some fans act like QBs dictate their salaries. They don't. There's a floor $20,000,000 & you work your way up based on locker room chemistry, inspiring others around you to step up their game, consistent accuracy & touch on the ball, & guys in the huddle believing that their field general can flip the script & turn the tables in the second half. Matthew gives the Detroit fanbase hope & that kid is as tough as nails. He really is. 

You know what really baffles me though? When I hear sports commentators like Rob Parker from the Undisputed video say or infer with a straight face that they think they can find Stafford's replacement for another QB at a lower rate or salary. Are you kidding me?  It reminds me of a guy who thinks his girlfriend isn't attractive enough so he dumps her & then realizes after he did that how foolish he truly was once he's got nobody. 

For yrs & I do mean yrs, the Lions were a laughing stock that no other team feared at all. That's not the case anymore. They're not SB contenders, but under Stafford, that team is a respectable team to watch now that can comeback or close the gap when they are down. There a hades of a lot more competitive then say the Niners or the Jets. Let's be real. The Lions never threw in the towel against the Pats & they only lost by a FG. I know tenacity & drive when I see it even in a Preseason game. 

Luckiest guy ever. If I'm not mistaken this is his second big payday along with the #1 pick money.

Never has had expectations on him. Stuck in an organization that is inept so it'll never be looked at as all his fault.

He's definitely a starting QB, but he's been compensated for way more then he's ever accomplished in terms of taking the Lions somewhere.

25 minutes ago, IinD said:

Luckiest guy ever. If I'm not mistaken this is his second big payday along with the #1 pick money.

Never has had expectations on him. Stuck in an organization that is inept so it'll never be looked at as all his fault.

He's definitely a starting QB, but he's been compensated for way more then he's ever accomplished in terms of taking the Lions somewhere.

I loved what you said [in red] because it's precisely on point LD. Very well said. Football is a team sport not tennis or golf. 

And then, I rolled my eyes at what you said [in blue] because compensation involves more then just titles & rings due to the level of your divisional competitors you play twice a yr. Do we say Dan Marino isn't a HOF QB because he is missing a ring on his resume? No. Should we slam Luck because the Colts got creamed in the Deflate Gate game? No. Jason Taylor, now a HOF recipient in Canton, lost  a lot to Brady in the AFC East too. Is Jason overrated? No. 

1 hour ago, mikey287 said:

HIs team, not him personally. A QB can only get wins on a good team and Stafford has been on some really bad teams. If you look at Stafford's stats he has been in the top 10 and a couple of times top 5 QBs in the league pretty much his whole career.

17 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Certainly glad we signed Luck before this.  I don't think Stafford would have gotten this much on the open market.  He got a $50 mil signing bonus and $92 mil guaranteed.  That's crazy.  His agent is a legend

If Stafford had received 3 consecutive tags, he would've made about 96M, with a tag price of 26.4M next year. Stafford had lot of leverage and Lions didn't want to risk it and give him more later on or watch him leave like is happening with the Skins and Cousins.

I like Fat Face, I'm not saying that the 46 losses are his fault. I was just providing a source for some information questioned upthread. I don't personally endorse the information. Fat Face has been dealt a rough hand for most of his career (minus Megatron), so I'm not surprised that his team loses to good teams...that's what bad teams do...

Overall, he hasn't really been considered a top-5 QB for any notable stretch of time in his career - if that was the implication. Maybe, if you're really subject to "what have you done for me yesterday" trends, you could make a case in and around 2011 and 2012 he was maybe a top 5 QB, but even that's a tough sell...ultimately, throughout his career, he's a fringe candidate for being on a contemporary top-10 QB list as a volume passer with some Favre-ian like mechanical ad-libbing which can be a source of creative heroics or post-hoc questioning...

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

HIs team, not him personally. A QB can only get wins on a good team and Stafford has been on some really bad teams. If you look at Stafford's stats he has been in the top 10 and a couple of times top 5 QBs in the league pretty much his whole career.

If you compare him with Andrew Luck, Luck has had the same issues Stafford has had, having to carry mediocre teams more but has led many comebacks, including that KC Chiefs playoff game and made plays in more clutch situations. At some point, the QB has to earn his keep when he gets his chances on the field, and Luck has made the most of it in his short career so far compared to Stafford.

A mediocre team can be elevated and helped by a QB by cashing in on the chances he gets when his offense takes the field. We saw it with Peyton, but then, not all QBs are Peyton, I understand that. That is why I lowered the baseline a bit and compared Stafford to Luck (who is not there yet compared to Peyton).

On 8/29/2017 at 4:14 AM, Synthetic said:

...edited for length & psychobabble... 

On 8/29/2017 at 4:14 AM, Synthetic said:

Enjoy those fantasy stats, cause they aren't winning anything any time soon. 

Dear gawd. Are you new to the NFL...

saupload_scooby_doo_2.jpg

19 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Stafford isn't 5-46 against teams with winning records. They beat the Vikings twice last year, and a little team called the Colts who some people here recently zinged me over because they "still went 8-8." That's 3 right there, and I don't know how but they've been stealing a game a year from the Packers as far back as 2010. I've seen that stat getting passed around though. My guess is whatever dunce came up with it is the same 1 who came up with Aaron Rodgers getting credit for a win against a winning team because he beat the Browns when they were 3-3 that year. That literally happened on another page elsewhere that year when that stat was addressed correctly, when Scott Kacsmar busted out the 5-24 record Rodgers had against winning teams (aka teams that finished with winning records...not teams who were 1-1 in week 3 wt*).

I like Stafford. He has an early 90s Brett Favre thing going on. He and his team got better when Sterling Sharpe was gone because the offense went from "throw it to Sharpe or dump it off or run" to the west coast offense like it was supposed to be. And if he wouldn't have broke his finger last year...

But say I don't like Stafford, that destroys all this stat garbage people think is so important which is another thing I go on about. He's 1 of those guys who breaks "original" records every year (like the Marino yardage record) but what does it amount to on his best day? 1 and done? And it's happened on worse days than the 1 and done days to.

Colts and Vikings did not have winning records, so that 5-46 record is accurate. 

29 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If you compare him with Andrew Luck, Luck has had the same issues Stafford has had, having to carry mediocre teams more but has led many comebacks, including that KC Chiefs playoff game and made plays in more clutch situations. At some point, the QB has to earn his keep when he gets his chances on the field, and Luck has made the most of it in his short career so far compared to Stafford.

A mediocre team can be elevated and helped by a QB by cashing in on the chances he gets when his offense takes the field. We saw it with Peyton, but then, not all QBs are Peyton, I understand that. That is why I lowered the baseline a bit and compared Stafford to Luck (who is not there yet compared to Peyton).

One thing we hear all the time is division. Detroit has been in a pretty tough division with the Packers. The Vikings have had a couple of good seasons since Stafford has been there along with the Bears.

He has throw for over 4,200 yards and one for over 5,000 every year since 2011. He has been sacked over an average of 36 times a season in that same time. He has 168 TDs and 87 interceptions.

His head coaches were Jim Schwartz and Jim Caldwell.  At least he has made the playoffs a couple of times with Caldwell. So far Caldwell is the only coach who has a winning record since 1991 and that is barely over 50%

IMO if he were playing for another team he would have made the playoffs a lot more with those kind of numbers.

10 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Colts and Vikings did not have winning records, so that 5-46 record is accurate. 

8-8 is a winning record. Besides there's just no way a guy has only beat 5 teams with winning record over 8 years, especially when it's the Lions who even when they stunk have stole games from the Packers.

1 minute ago, BloodyChamp said:

8-8 is a winning record. Besides there's just no way a guy has only beat 5 teams with winning record over 8 years, especially when it's the Lions who even when they stunk have stole games from the Packers.

8-8 is a .500 record. That is not a winning record. A winning record means you have more wins than losses. There is no arguing this.

5 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

It's not a winning record. You don't have more wins than losses with an 8-8 record. Winning record means a team has a better record than .500. Stafford has only won 3 games against the Packers. Stafford does indeed have that record- the Lions have sucked for the most part and their wins have come against average to below average teams.

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

8-8 is a .500 record. That is not a winning record. A winning record means you have more wins than losses. There is no arguing this.

So if that is the case does losing 8 mean it is not a losing record too? Can't have it both ways. :dunno:...............:D

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So if that is the case does losing 8 mean it is not a losing record too? Can't have it both ways. :dunno:...............:D

8-8 isn't a winning or losing record. It's an even .500 record with the same number of wins and losses. Even a weird record like 8-7-1 would be a winning record because there is more wins then losses. 9-7 is a winning record, 7-9 is a losing record, 8-8 is neither. More wins = a winning record, more losses = a losing record. Not much else to say lol.

17 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

A .500 record is a winning record, and there most certainly is arguing with it not being 1. Just look at where you all argued in that recent Colts thread. Wasn't me wasn't me I know I know...well I don't remember anybody agreeing with me over there.

There is no universe where a 500 record in ANYTHING is a winning record.     It does not exist.

You CAN argue it's not a losing record,   but you can't argue it's a winning record.      Not if you want anyone to take you seriously.

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

BOLD CAPS and ITTALICS CAPS and JUST CAPS for the win.       And this space I don't know what is. I guess it's 1 thing and not the other. That way people will take it seriously. 

Geez,  You are bad at this.  

How is 8-8 a winning season?

Ps.  I think Stafford is a very good qb,  but your argument once again falls short