Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Julian Edelman may have tore ACL

RockThatBlue

On 8/26/2017 at 2:10 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think people are underestimating how great Edleman is. Yeah BB can plug in John Doe or whoever and make it work TO AN EXTENT but I think this is a bad loss for the Pats. I think he is more valuable than Gronk actually with the Roster they have. The Pats can get away with winning without Gronk because a lot of what Tom does he is quick hitters to Edleman and speed guys, Edleman had sure hands too, better than Welker IMO.

I agree. I'm sure Pats have guys who will step up and be productive but Edelman is a darn good receiver and not as easy to replace as some might think.

On 8/26/2017 at 7:04 AM, Finball said:

I disagree. Cooks didn't struggle in every other role besides the slot, more like the opposite. He's not a great YAC machine despite his speed and he doesn't like contact. Outside deep threat is where he worked the best. Press can work on him but not many corners have the foot speed to recover if they fail to press him good.

Did you watch any Saints games last year? Cooks struggles when you put a decent corner on him or just play him man to man with physical contact. You are correct, he don't like contact, and has never been able to overcome this problem...He's not a receiver who is going to catch risky passes in coverage like Edleman did with that big circus catch in the SB (Pats lose the SB if not for that). He never did that stuff in New Orleans. The Panthers used to shut him down quick just by using Like Kuechley and Josh Norman. After Cooks lit them up early in the season, they completely shut him down in the second divisional game just by using Luke on him. 

His YAC is high because he's most useful as a slot receiver. Most of his big plays are just screens and short passes...The only time you seen him last year get a long TD, was when there was blown coverage (Raiders and Panthers games). Cooks stats are pretty, but so are a lot of receivers. Allen Robinson had a 1,400 yard receiving year in Jacksonville recently, and I imagine that would've been much higher with Brees throwing to him.

The Saints got rid of him cause last year he got outplayed by rookie Michael Thomas who was making the big catches down field in tight coverage, and was able to go man to man with corners and safeties and still make catches in contested coverage. Check the Rams and 49ers games where Michael Thomas absolutely went off on those teams and looked like a vintage Marques Colston. 

Cooks in 3 years never did any of this stuff, and Sean Payton gave him every role he could to try and make him the #1 receiver. He was meant to replace Marques Colston and failed on every expectation we had, and then had the nerve to complain about not getting enough passes thrown to him last year once it became apparent that Michael Thomas was becoming one of Brees' favorite targets. 

He's going to look like a stud in NE's system where he will most likely be a slot receiver in their dink and dunk offense. But this idea that he's going to be the next Randy Moss is absolutely laughable. Cooks outside the slot isn't a threat...

On 8/26/2017 at 1:10 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think people are underestimating how great Edleman is. Yeah BB can plug in John Doe or whoever and make it work TO AN EXTENT but I think this is a bad loss for the Pats. I think he is more valuable than Gronk actually with the Roster they have. The Pats can get away with winning without Gronk because a lot of what Tom does he is quick hitters to Edleman and speed guys, Edleman had sure hands too, better than Welker IMO.

Totally agree. They lose the SB if not for Edleman's catch that was nearly, and probably could've been totally intercepted. Edleman had some other big plays in that game. 

This is going to hurt them, and given how Brandin Cooks never lived up to the hype and expectations in NOLA to justify what we gave up to get him in the first round of the 2014 draft (and then got a crappy attitude this past year), I don't see Cooks properly replacing Edleman for them unless he greatly matures and steps up his game. 

21 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

Totally agree. They lose the SB if not for Edleman's catch that was nearly, and probably could've been totally intercepted. Edleman had some other big plays in that game. 

This is going to hurt them, and given how Brandin Cooks never lived up to the hype and expectations in NOLA to justify what we gave up to get him in the first round of the 2014 draft (and then got a crappy attitude this past year), I don't see Cooks properly replacing Edleman for them unless he greatly matures and steps up his game. 

I agree 100%. Edleman is so tough, he is my favorite Pats player actually. Jules is tough. Gronk is awesome but Edleman is Tom's main man.

On 8/26/2017 at 0:33 AM, ReMeDy said:

W-Wait... their match against the Lions happened Aug 25th? No... it couldn't be...

PYihAsS.jpg

The curse will systematically eliminate all of Brady's receivers, saving him for last.

Another interesting coincidence: In Madden's G.O.A.T. edition, you get a free 80 overall elite player from a team of your choice in Madden Ultimate Team. If you pick the Patriots, you get Julian Edelman. I am NOT making this stuff up.

On 28.8.2017 at 7:55 AM, Synthetic said:

Did you watch any Saints games last year? Cooks struggles when you put a decent corner on him or just play him man to man with physical contact. You are correct, he don't like contact, and has never been able to overcome this problem...He's not a receiver who is going to catch risky passes in coverage like Edleman did with that big circus catch in the SB (Pats lose the SB if not for that). He never did that stuff in New Orleans. The Panthers used to shut him down quick just by using Like Kuechley and Josh Norman. After Cooks lit them up early in the season, they completely shut him down in the second divisional game just by using Luke on him. 

His YAC is high because he's most useful as a slot receiver. Most of his big plays are just screens and short passes...The only time you seen him last year get a long TD, was when there was blown coverage (Raiders and Panthers games). Cooks stats are pretty, but so are a lot of receivers. Allen Robinson had a 1,400 yard receiving year in Jacksonville recently, and I imagine that would've been much higher with Brees throwing to him.

The Saints got rid of him cause last year he got outplayed by rookie Michael Thomas who was making the big catches down field in tight coverage, and was able to go man to man with corners and safeties and still make catches in contested coverage. Check the Rams and 49ers games where Michael Thomas absolutely went off on those teams and looked like a vintage Marques Colston. 

Cooks in 3 years never did any of this stuff, and Sean Payton gave him every role he could to try and make him the #1 receiver. He was meant to replace Marques Colston and failed on every expectation we had, and then had the nerve to complain about not getting enough passes thrown to him last year once it became apparent that Michael Thomas was becoming one of Brees' favorite targets. 

He's going to look like a stud in NE's system where he will most likely be a slot receiver in their dink and dunk offense. But this idea that he's going to be the next Randy Moss is absolutely laughable. Cooks outside the slot isn't a threat...

Yes, I watch the Saints quite a bit. Per NextGenStats, Cooks averaged 2.83 yrd separation per target (2.76 outside where he received 2/3 of his targets), which ranked 3rd best among all #2 receivers. And not every corner can play physical with him, as there's a chance you won't even get a finger on him and he beats you for 98 yard TD like he did against Sean Smith last year. Many corners would need safety help over the top.

And I don't think there's shame getting beat by Michael Thomas. That kid is really good.