Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Gores future

TheOptimist88

We all know Frank Gore is the ultimate football vet but what does he bring to the Colts offense in 2017? Outside of pass blocking and immense knowledge of the game does he provide a legitimate threat at the RB position and does he serve as a good compliment back to Andrew Luck?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wont count Frank out.  The guy has my TOTAL respect.

he walks and talks softly but the guy carries a big stick.

total class.  Has he lost a step? sure.  but he can be counted on week after week to give his all, not complain , and give this team some desperately needed veteran leadership.

he leads the best way, imo, BY EXAMPLE.

i feel pretty good about him, turbin, mack, and i'd like to see more of pope.

ballard is building a team.  

No. I posted a couple months back when the colts signed Micheal that it could mean the end for gore. It was not well received by some. Can't remember to many 35 yr old rbs leading their team to the promise land. Turbin can start the season until Mack gets comfortable. Ferguson, pope, or any younger Joe bob off the street can back them up. Frank was great, he just doesn't have any burst left. For the folks that argue he had 1000 yds last year, he got it 2 yds @ a time, and we were 8-8 again

1 minute ago, Pat Beach 81 said:

No. I posted a couple months back when the colts signed Micheal that it could mean the end for gore. It was not well received by some. Can't remember to many 35 yr old rbs leading their team to the promise land. Turbin can start the season until Mack gets comfortable. Ferguson, pope, or any younger Joe bob off the street can back them up. Frank was great, he just doesn't have any burst left. For the folks that argue he had 1000 yds last year, he got it 2 yds @ a time, and we were 8-8 again

I'm thinking you let Gore go and just run a committee. You can get a good back during cut day that will compliment what you already have. Speed kills at the RB position and Gore doesn't have it anymore.

I'm of the unpopular opinion that Gore should have been cut at the start of the offseason.  At this point, with most of the player acquisitions done and the regular season just a few weeks away, I suppose it doesn't make a big difference.  The advantages to the team aren't as significant if he is cut now compared to if he were cut at the start of the offseason

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'm of the unpopular opinion that Gore should have been cut at the start of the offseason.  At this point, with most of the player acquisitions done and the regular season just a few weeks away, I suppose it doesn't make a big difference.  The advantages to the team aren't as significant if he is cut now compared to if he were cut at the start of the offseason

Gives Mack and Pope invaluable experience from a legend other than that I don't know how he helps the new regime. Grigson era sure I understand his importance but not anymore when we are going in a new direction. 

Gore is a calming influence in a VERY young huddle.  You cant underestimate that.

ideally, i see starting the game with Gore to get things "rolling" smoothly.  Whether its Chuck, chud, or Andrew, this team has a habit of slow starts with questionable decision making  by coaches and players. Gore can help calm things in the huddle.  Use turbin in the red zone hes a beast there.  Get mack and pope involved once the team calms down a little.  Rookies are gonna make mistakes and we especially cant have that in pass protection.  With the OL status and loss of Allen, gore is valuable to protect Andrew..... very valuable.

i feel good with the experience of gore and turbin and the youth and fire of mack and pope. 

I say keep gore this year.  If you cut him and turbin goes down, we are in suspect shape at rb.  Mack and pope have looked good but the sample size is very small.  They havent played a game in the NFL yet technically.  We dont know who they are yet.

Now, if turbin stays healthy, mack and pope exceed expectations, then we could probably live without him.

we arent cap strapped, gore brings the team alot (imo) and i'd love for Mack and pope to spend a year watching how a TRUE pro , not only plays, but prepares and conducts himself on and off the field.

and i think, in some ways, we owe him that.  The guy put his faith in us and left philly at the alter, at keast we can honor our "marriage."

it would be a class move for a class guy.  I'd like to think thats the Colt way.

If this season starts to go south quickly and Luck is out, I'd try to do him a favor and either trade him for a late round pick or release him so hopefully he can catch on with a contender.

No reason to spend what will be one of your last NFL seasons on a crappy team.

Maybe a better question is what Frank is thinking.

the poor guy came here expecting Super Bowl runs with his buddy Andre.  He walked away from a shot with an exciting young Eagle team to come here. And then he sees this team kinda fall apart at the seams. Star QB out for a year, GM and coaching turmoil, GM change,  OL turmoil, etc, etc, etc.  and the whole time he was nothing but professional in all ways. He worked hard and set a good example:  there were a few occasions when his frustrations showed, but still the ultimate competitor, team mate, and employee.

i think we all could take a lesson from the man.

4 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Maybe a better question is what Frank is thinking.

the poor guy came here expecting Super Bowl runs with his buddy Andre.  He walked away from a shot with an exciting young Eagle team to come here. And then he sees this team kinda fall apart at the seams. Star QB out for a year, GM and coaching turmoil, GM change,  OL turmoil, etc, etc, etc.  and the whole time he was nothing but professional in all ways. He worked hard and set a good example:  there were a few occasions when his frustrations showed, but still the ultimate competitor, team mate, and employee.

i think we all could take a lesson from the man.

the eagles playoff drought is longer than ours, and they have gone 7-9 the last two years

Just now, WoolMagnet said:

Doesnt change anything i said.  

it should 

you mentioned he turned down a shot at a promising young eagles team to come here, but they have been no better than us, and they play in a  tougher division

franks reality is only a few team were interested in him, and none of them were contenders.  he might have been interesting on the patriots but they like dirt cheap running backs 

29 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

it should 

you mentioned he turned down a shot at a promising young eagles team to come here, but they have been no better than us, and they play in a  tougher division

franks reality is only a few team were interested in him, and none of them were contenders.  he might have been interesting on the patriots but they like dirt cheap running backs 

Nope

3 hours ago, Pat Beach 81 said:

We were 8-8 cause the defense couldn't stop a high school team & Pagano & Chad paired to blow both games against Houston with awful play calling 

5 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Out of respect to Gore, if the Colts do decide they want to move on, I think Ballard should ask him what teams he'd like to play for, & try to work out a trade with someone. Send him to a contender & let him have his chance at a ring.

6 hours ago, Pat Beach 81 said:

More like 4yds a time... Get your stats right... Gore is still hard to bring down and you don't need to be young and fast to run over or shake someone out of their shoes which he can still do. Mack shows promise but he needs to be slowly transitioned and taught. 

9 hours ago, TheOptimist88 said:

We all know Frank Gore is the ultimate football vet but what does he bring to the Colts offense in 2017? Outside of pass blocking and immense knowledge of the game does he provide a legitimate threat at the RB position and does he serve as a good compliment back to Andrew Luck?

I don't know does Andrew want the free blitzer picked up? Pope is an was an UDFA from last years draft that's yet to find a home in the league. Mack is a 4th round pick who's had what 5 preseason carries? You may want to hold up tossing the dirt on old Frank. 

There is room for Gore in the backfield this year. That's not going to prevent Mack from becoming an every down back on Sunday's. It will help him. Gore is a HOFer that knows what it takes to be successful in this league. There's a little more to it than just running fast 

4 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Out of respect to Gore, if the Colts do decide they want to move on, I think Ballard should ask him what teams he'd like to play for, & try to work out a trade with someone. Send him to a contender & let him have his chance at a ring.

Oh man, are there really any teams, especially SB contenders that think he can make a difference?

He's had a nice, long career. Some might even say his accumulative numbers are HOF worthy. But not much left in the tank if anything. It's like 3 yards and a cloud of dust with him. There's no chance of a breakaway long run with him that will change the game. 

Maybe a #3 or #4 RB with limited carries is all I see him as of now.

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

I don't know does Andrew want the free blitzer picked up? Pope is an was an UDFA from last years draft that's yet to find a home in the league. Mack is a 4th round pick who's had what 5 preseason carries? You may want to hold up tossing the dirt on old Frank. 

There is room for Gore in the backfield this year. That's not going to prevent Mack from becoming an every down back on Sunday's. It will help him. Gore is a HOFer that knows what it takes to be successful in this league. There's a little more to it than just running fast 

You can pick up a back in Free Agency as well. I'm not saying start Mack I'm saying move on from a player who's 34 and go younger and have a committee approach. Turbin can pass block as well so you're not handicapping yourself by cutting Gore who want be with the team past 2018 anyway. It's a new era and that should mean new players, not keep a guy because the team has a terrible eye for running back talent. 

3 hours ago, Smitto said:

More like 4yds a time... Get your stats right... Gore is still hard to bring down and you don't need to be young and fast to run over or shake someone out of their shoes which he can still do. Mack shows promise but he needs to be slowly transitioned and taught. 

He was the least elusive back in the NFL last year and broke the least tackles despite how many carries he had. 

4 hours ago, Smitto said:

Nope Gore was at 3.9 ypc last season. That’s not 4 at a time.

6 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'd like to see it happen, but I don't think it will.  I think Gore really regrets his time in Indy.  Came to win a championship and didn't even make the playoffs.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Oh man, are there really any teams, especially SB contenders that think he can make a difference?

He's had a nice, long career. Some might even say his accumulative numbers are HOF worthy. But not much left in the tank if anything. It's like 3 yards and a cloud of dust with him. There's no chance of a breakaway long run with him that will change the game. 

Maybe a #3 or #4 RB with limited carries is all I see him as of now.

I think he'd be a great fit in Green Bay.  Maybe even on the Giants?